Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

Royal Family to mourn until 7 days after the funeral.

Not my words just Michelle O’Neill.
just expected statements from another head of state forward slash first minister. the entire point had to do with the lack of the queen, as person, having any meaningful political agency. that the government requested her to meet with adams and co and she did it might have had symbolic meaning, after the fact of the peace process having been accomplished, but that is something else.

no one denied she had a symbolic value as functionary who did as requested by the government. what people took issue with was the idea that she did these things of her own volition, for which there is no evidence. in fact, if she had done these things of her own will it would have signalled a constitutional crisis as it would move beyond the remit of the monarch as head of state.

originally you were upset that people were attacking the queen. i argued they were attacking the idea of monarchy, not the queen as individual, as implying some people are born better than others by virtue of noble lineage and blood rights.

just expected statements from another head of state forward slash first minister. the entire point had to do with the lack of the queen, as person, having any meaningful political agency. that the government requested her to meet with adams and co and she did it might have had symbolic meaning, after the fact of the peace process having been accomplished, but that is something else.

no one denied she had a symbolic value as functionary who did as requested by the government. what people took issue with was the idea that she did these things of her own volition, for which there is no evidence. in fact, if she had done these things of her own will it would have signalled a constitutional crisis as it would move beyond the remit of the monarch as head of state.

originally you were upset that people were attacking the queen. i argued they were attacking the idea of monarchy, not the queen as individual, as implying some people are born better than others by virtue of noble lineage and blood rights.
You’re one of those people that know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Yeah. That’s why I said “these weren’t about the 90s either”. That’s how I knew what years he was talking about.

You sure you’re not the one in a muddle?
Wait, what?

All I said was that his claims that she was involved in the peace process are nonsense, then you said something about normalisation after the GFA, which has nothing to do with the peace process. I don't know what you're arguing? He was clearly wrong, it's best to leave it at that rather than get all pedantic over it, which you seem fixated on doing. Neither of you have actually been able to give a single example of how she was involved in the peace process here, which is the hilarious thing.

You’re one of those people that know the price of everything but the value of nothing.
i know the value of equality which precludes the idea that some people are born being better than others by fact that they have "noble lineage". price that however you want.

The only person that took issue with it was you. You’ve then proceeded to tell everyone else what they should and shouldn’t believe and what opinions they should hold whilst using the moment to peddle your own agenda under the guise of ‘debate’.

Well done.

I’m surprised he got banned on a non-footballing matter considering his footballing views are more often than not utter bollocks.

He reminds me of Steve Irwin who played with lions all his life and got killed by a stingray.

:wenger:

The only person that took issue with it was you. You’ve then proceeded to tell everyone else what they should and shouldn’t believe and what opinions they should hold whilst using the moment to peddle your own agenda under the guise of ‘debate’.

Well done.
it's almost as if people hold points of view and put them across in textual form within the context of debate and argument. i think you might even be doing it here.

The opening NFL game was tonight in Los Angeles. They paid her a moment of silence before kickoff.

Is that really because people care or is it just ceremony in recognition of the significance of the institution?

It's certainly interesting to observe. I'd argue Sir Alex has a far deeper connection to more people than the Queen but we obviously won't see the same level of reaction. There's a very much imprinted expectation of the serfs.

What will be interesting to see is if Charles dies in the next decade will the same reaction occur. I'd expect not because the uniqueness of the event has gone, yet he has of course also lived in service.

Anyway, for people who think it means nothing to those outside the UK - I just went up to our village in the middle of nowhere in Italy, and a very old lady approached me to talk about the Queen. She said it was all over the news and in the papers (which it is), and that it was very sad.
My wife keeps showing me the most outlandish Facebook posts from her newsfeed - all from Hungarians.

Hell, someone wrote that she had a notion that as long as Queen Elizabeth was alive, the world would be all right somehow. Mental.

i know the value of equality which precludes the idea that some people are born being better than others by fact that they have "noble lineage". price that however you want.

I'm with you in all that you've said in this thread brews

The Royal family are inbred, Nazi sympathisers who presided over colonialism. Bankrolled by taxpayers. Pedophiles. Racists. A ridiculously lavish, pampered life. So out of tune with the common folks of this world. A nonsense of the highest order.

Wait, what?

All I said was that his claims that she was involved in the peace process are nonsense, then you said something about normalisation after the GFA, which has nothing to do with the peace process. I don't know what you're arguing? He was clearly wrong, it's best to leave it at that rather than get all pedantic over it, which you seem fixated on doing. Neither of you have actually been able to give a single example of how she was involved in the peace process here, which is the hilarious thing.
Oh boy… understanding context isn’t being pedantic. Clinging to a single phrase and then ignoring everything else is.

I repeatedly told you that you were missing context in your responses to me about @Deery ‘s post. You told me I was wrong. Now I’ve posted the posts that provided the context and you responded with “those were from 2011-2012” — well yeah! That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you this whole time. I’m glad you’ve figured it out.

My work has gone heavy on this, internal website basically has been blanked apart from a message about the Queen. External website & social media only showing “essential service updates”

Aussie TV is wall to wall Royal non news. It's going to be a very long 10 days.

And that comment sums you up!

Internet Einstein who knows better than everyone else. Loves a good ‘debate’ as it presents an opportunity to talk down on others. Whatever you get off on though.
:)

from you of all people this is gold. but won't derail. i'll let it move back to the topic at hand where no one has an opinion or point of view because advancing ideas and principles through argument is apparently forbidden or elitist.

Is there a thread for celebrities being cancelled due to their opinions on the monarchy? Trevor Sinclair is getting it for his tweets.

:)

from you of all people this is gold. but won't derail. i'll let it move back to the topic at hand where no one has an opinion or point of view because advancing ideas and principles through argument is apparently forbidden or elitist.

It seems we are more similar than you like to think :)

I would say many millions of people care, to varying extents. It's a significant moment in history, the passing of the Old Guard. It's like when the last man to fight in the First World War died. She represented a different time and different values.

edit - I remember the final days of Winston Churchill, his doctor used to appear on TV to give little updates. I remember watching his funeral. It was a significant occasion and these things don't happen often in any one lifetime.

Despite what people think about her (or royalty in general) she was certinally one of the most famous people on the planet.

RIP

Oh boy… understanding context isn’t being pedantic. Clinging to a single phrase and then ignoring everything else is.

I repeatedly told you that you were missing context in your responses to me about @Deery ‘s post. You told me I was wrong. Now I’ve posted the posts that provided the context and you responded with “those were from 2011-2012” — well yeah! That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you this whole time. I’m glad you’ve figured it out.
I’m the one who said it was from 2011-12 right at the start. :lol: You’re just deflecting from the stupid shite you were trying to argue.