QF | England vs Switzerland | Netherlands vs Turkey

England should be beating Switzerland 9/10 times. As their records against each other would suggest. It's not an acceptable team to be losing against by any means, the manager and players would deserve absolute pelters.
Nice bit of underrating there.

Brits must've forgotten the game against Slovakia :D Swiss will plough threw England if they play like that, and they will, because Southgate

England at recent tournaments usually have a performance where they comfortably defeat a team that they are expected to, but who are solid enough to also have expected they might make England look bad...Senegal, Iran, Ukraine...Denmark at the last Euro were even better, but I didn't think posed too many issues in the end. They haven't had that yet here and I can see this game going like that, though i'm still betting on another close, ugly England win.
Those were great england teams though, this one doesn't look it. They'll win but I think it will be tight

I expect Shaw to break down some time after coming on. If he doesn’t, it does give the team a very different look and some much needed balance. Theoretically, that sets the left side of the pitch free, too.

Shaw is an invaluable asset, but putting eggs in his basket is something we’ve learned not to do and even Ten Hag goes into campaigns expecting Shaw to be absent for a solid portion of them.

If he can stay fit for the remainder of the tournament, he certainly puts the cat amongst the pigeons and alters England’s prospects.

England midfielder Jude Bellingham has been cleared to play against Switzerland on Saturday in the Three Lions' Euro 2024 qualifier in Dusseldorf.

Bellingham has however received a fine of €30,000 after being investigated following a crotch-grabbing gesture made after scoring in last Sunday's win over Slovakia,

Bellingham has been cleared to play, but has received a suspended one-match ban on a one-year probation period, meaning he can still feature on Saturday.

Does that mean he'll get a match ban if he repeats an offense in a years time?

Anything can happen at this stage, but not beating Turkey would be a real let down. We have a significantly better team and seem to have found our grove. Though Austria were also far better than Turkey and that didn't mean anything in the End.

England Switzerland seems like a toss-up. On paper England is the overwhelming favorite, but....
I wouldn't have given you a chance against Austria but Turkey is a much better match-up.

The latter are too wasteful and error prone to go past you, unless you massively feck up.

I wouldn't have given you a chance against Austria but Turkey is a much better match-up.

The latter are too wasteful and error prone to go past you, unless you massively feck up.
Haha, I remember the conversation we had before the Austria game, so I'm not going to argue there :lol:

I agree Turkey suits us better. They press as well, but arent nearly as disciplined about it and their defence, especially without Demiral is sort of cack.

England midfielder Jude Bellingham has been cleared to play against Switzerland on Saturday in the Three Lions' Euro 2024 qualifier in Dusseldorf.

Bellingham has however received a fine of €30,000 after being investigated following a crotch-grabbing gesture made after scoring in last Sunday's win over Slovakia,

Bellingham has been cleared to play, but has received a suspended one-match ban on a one-year probation period, meaning he can still feature on Saturday.

Does that mean he'll get a match ban if he repeats an offense in a years time?

I presume if he behaves for a year it's over?

The way I have interpreted it, if there is a repeat or similar incident, in the next game he will miss the next game.

I think Demiral's ban will lead to a massive shitshow on the streets. Especially if Turkey lose.

I think Demiral's ban will lead to a massive shitshow on the streets. Especially if Turkey lose.

The police know what's coming, so while it's always wise to be a bit careful in certain situations I don't expect large scale riots.

What did Demiral do to get banned?

Celebrated with a political gesture that is banned in Austria and France, but not in Germany. So he had it preplanned and knew he was going to do it especially against Austria.

The Al-Ahli defender celebrated his second goal with a 'wolf salute', a gesture associated with the far-right extremist group Grey Wolves that is linked with Turkey's ruling coalition party the National Movement Party.

Demiral said the salute, which is banned in Austria and France, was pre-planned in case he scored in the last-16 tie.

A 2 match ban is absolutely ridiculous when Bellendingham gets off with a fine.

Has anyone started a go fund me for Jude to pay for the "few thousand euro" fine? Very harsh punishment.

I don't see an issue with the fine for Bellingham. I don't think the gesture was that bad. Unless I'm missing something there. Demiral, on the other hand, had it coming.

I don't see an issue with the fine for Bellingham. I don't think the gesture was that bad. Unless I'm missing something there. Demiral, on the other hand, had it coming.
I think there should be no punishment at all for him. But a monetairy fine of a few thousand for someone who makes 500k a week is moronic. Just tell him he's a bad boy and move on then.

Nice bit of underrating there.
How? England have a great record against them, mainly because they ought to have. If you have better players in 9 or 10 of the positions you should be winning the vast majority of the time. It's not underrating so much as the reality of the situation, if England get out of their own way with respect to rubbish management they should win the game and even if they don't they have a good chance of winning the game such is the individual quality.

England are at least 1 level above Switzerland in terms of players - if just a few of the best English players have a good day, England will win

I keep on reading this. Fair enough on Bellingham as even with him being below part he's still pretty much decided two matches in this tournament. Foden should be in that bracket but been dreadful.

Look at the rest though. Pickford always decent for England in tournaments but Sommer's just coming off a season as first choice for Inter, Akanji was the one playing for Man. City in the run in not Stones and Schar done well with Newcastle as they've gone back up the league so not sure how anyone can really say they'd have Guehi over him. Rodriguez as LCB is a better fit than Trippier aswell.

In midfield Rice v Xhaka will be a great watch, Xhaka coming off an amazing domestic season and played this tournament well.

Another difference is they have three players who've been excellent for Bologna and they're all starting with key roles. Konsa and Watkins have just bit part roles so far.

There isn't a vast gulf like England-Slovakia should've been in many key match up areas imo hence why Southgate is panicking and shuffling the formation to match up Swiss.

If the reports are accurate, big IF, then he has to start Shaw as we are so unbalanced on the left. Having said that, if he was that close to playing 90 mins then why didn’t he bring him on for 30 mins in the last game when we were all over the place?

If the reports are accurate, big IF, then he has to start Shaw as we are so unbalanced on the left. Having said that, if he was that close to playing 90 mins then why didn’t he bring him on for 30 mins in the last game when we were all over the place?
Because he’s a twat that’s why

If the reports are true that Southgate will change the formation and make some changes I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw something like this from the start.

Pickford

Walker - Stones - Shaw

TAA - Rice - Mainoo - Saka

Foden - Bellingham

Kane

But it’s just as likely he’ll go with the same team as before with Shaw or Konsa replacing Guéhi.

Last edited:
How? England have a great record against them, mainly because they ought to have. If you have better players in 9 or 10 of the positions you should be winning the vast majority of the time. It's not underrating so much as the reality of the situation, if England get out of their own way with respect to rubbish management they should win the game and even if they don't they have a good chance of winning the game such is the individual quality.
As @FootballHQ said above, difference in class in not such a drastic one.

England is like America in basketball with NBA. No one can beat them.

I keep on reading this. Fair enough on Bellingham as even with him being below part he's still pretty much decided two matches in this tournament. Foden should be in that bracket but been dreadful.

Look at the rest though. Pickford always decent for England in tournaments but Sommer's just coming off a season as first choice for Inter, Akanji was the one playing for Man. City in the run in not Stones and Schar done well with Newcastle as they've gone back up the league so not sure how anyone can really say they'd have Guehi over him. Rodriguez as LCB is a better fit than Trippier aswell.

In midfield Rice v Xhaka will be a great watch, Xhaka coming off an amazing domestic season and played this tournament well.

Another difference is they have three players who've been excellent for Bologna and they're all starting with key roles. Konsa and Watkins have just bit part roles so far.

There isn't a vast gulf like England-Slovakia should've been in many key match up areas imo hence why Southgate is panicking and shuffling the formation to match up Swiss.

Quite right.
Doesn't matter what the players look like on paper or even for their club sides.
Both teams are pretty even with Switzerland in better form as a team unit.

I am expecting a very tight close game.

Celebrated with a political gesture that is banned in Austria and France, but not in Germany. So he had it preplanned and knew he was going to do it especially against Austria.

The Al-Ahli defender celebrated his second goal with a 'wolf salute', a gesture associated with the far-right extremist group Grey Wolves that is linked with Turkey's ruling coalition party the National Movement Party.

Demiral said the salute, which is banned in Austria and France, was pre-planned in case he scored in the last-16 tie.

A 2 match ban is absolutely ridiculous when Bellendingham gets off with a fine.

Not to mention there is a suspension valid for 1 year, which apparently means he can choose which match to be banned for. Don't think I've ever seen that before :lol:

Switzerland will cruise through if England don't improve from the first 4 games of their tournament

Think our game could produce some fireworks. The Turks are full of (misguided) fury over the Demiral ban and while we're hardly Spain we do try to attack. Hope the fireworks will be contained in just the stadium though.

Bookies insist on overrating us though. Unibet pays 6.25 your money for a Turkey win.

Last edited:

Such a naive post. As if individual quality is the only criterion to win you games at this championship. In international tournaments, team chemistry is key.

England have the better players, but are a bad team and have a muppet as a manager. The Swiss are playing far better. By this standard, England should have won multiple trophies in the last 30 years. Croatia should serve as an example of what can happen if England arrogance meets a proper team that fights and has some good quality players.

This will be a very tight game, i expect extra time and then who knows. But the Swiss are better than Slovakia and England had a lot of problems against them already. Unless they suddenly play like a big team, this should be as close as the 2 games yesterday.

Such a naive post. As if individual quality is the only criterion to win you games at this championship. In international tournaments, team chemistry is key.

England have the better players, but are a bad team and have a muppet as a manager. The Swiss are playing far better. By this standard, England should have won multiple trophies in the last 30 years. Croatia should serve as an example of what can happen if England arrogance meets a proper team that fights and has some good quality players.

This will be a very tight game, i expect extra time and then who knows. But the Swiss are better than Slovakia and England had a lot of problems against them already. Unless they suddenly play like a big team, this should be as close as the 2 games yesterday.
I do feel England just adept their level to the opponent by some sort of weird voodoo. They do exactly enough to advance, but refuse to do any more than the absolute bear (I know it's bare) minimum.

I do feel England just adept their level to the opponent by some sort of weird voodoo. They do exactly enough to advance, but refuse to do any more than the absolute bare minimum.

Thats France. England try it, but are not as good at it and ultimately are just losers so end up with no trophy, as usual.

What's naïve is thinking you're making some kind of stunning point to state that team chemistry matters and that it might be a tight game. All England's games have been tight.

What I'm saying is England should bloody win against Switzerland, end of story. That's what the odds would say, that's the history and frankly that's basic common sense so let's not pretend otherwise about the players on show. If England feck it up against Switzerland it is a disaster while the reverse is not true.

And no England shouldn't have necessarily won multiple trophies. They could have, not should. Quite a few other teams have always had comparable players, the issue for Southgate here is Switzerland ain't one of them and never have been so there are no excuses to be had.

I expect Shaw to break down some time after coming on. If he doesn’t, it does give the team a very different look and some much needed balance. Theoretically, that sets the left side of the pitch free, too.

Shaw is an invaluable asset, but putting eggs in his basket is something we’ve learned not to do and even Ten Hag goes into campaigns expecting Shaw to be absent for a solid portion of them.

If he can stay fit for the remainder of the tournament, he certainly puts the cat amongst the pigeons and alters England’s prospects.
Mesiah Shaw cannot singlehandedly save Southgate and entire English team. Even having Mbappe, far bigger star and a forward, is not helping France, what do you seriously expect Shaw will do, on his own? Come on

If Switzerland play like they did against Italy they could cause England a lot of problems. England have been shite but have been scraping through games, I can see them doing that again today.

Turkey v Netherlands will be a close game, that could go either way, but I fancy the Dutch to sneak it, either after ET or penalties.

Today I'm going to go with England and Holland to go through. But, I got both games wrong yesterday so what do I know.

I am just hoping for some exciting games today.

If Switzerland play like they did against Italy they could cause England a lot of problems. England have been shite but have been scraping through games, I can see them doing that again today.

Turkey v Netherlands will be a close game, that could go either way, but I fancy the Dutch to sneak it, either after ET or penalties.

Today I'm going to go with England and Holland to go through. But, I got both games wrong yesterday so what do I know.

I don't see Turkey challenging Holland all that much. On the other hand Switzerland could indeed be a handful for England

I don't see Turkey challenging Holland all that much. On the other hand Switzerland could indeed be a handful for England

Like I said, I was wrong on both games yesterday. So whatever I pick, the opposite will happen, especially if I put money on it.