Pundits during Euro 2024

Haven’t watched a few games due to the appalling commentary. Take the Mach that is on now for instance on ITV, some woman wittering on. Oh well it’s a nice day to be sat out in the garden anyway.
And don’t get me started on women pundits, the6 play womens football not mens, I’m fed up with this crap.

didn’t realise they had different rules in the women’s game

Watching the England v Denmark match, Shearer just doesn't know when to shut the feck up. And every one calling Alexander Arnold “Trent”. Every other player is rightly called by his surname but not dear Trent who by the way shouldn't have been on the pitch, not when you have proper midfielders sat on the bench. Thank god Southgate didn’t get the Utd job.

Watching the England v Denmark match, Shearer just doesn't know when to shut the feck up. And every one calling Alexander Arnold “Trent”. Every other player is rightly called by his surname but not dear Trent who by the way shouldn't have been on the pitch, not when you have proper midfielders sat on the bench. Thank god Southgate didn’t get the Utd job.

Most call him Trent because they can't be arsed with his double barreled surname which is fair enough.

It's been coming for a while but the BBC has really gone south in this tournament. Too many former England captains. Lineker has turned into a smug self indulgent virtue signalling version of Alan Partridge, chucking out dad jokes every two minutes. Shearer has gone from practically orgasming every time "Trent" touches the ball to shoutily declaring the whole thing a fiasco, three days after everyone else worked it out already. Rio has nothing insightful to say because he's just not that articulate. Robyn Cowan is so bad on comms that they've had to provide a 5 live alternative commentary just to stop our ears bleeding. Fabregas and Micah Richards have been just about OK. But compared to Keane, Carragher, Neville, they're still second rate.

Most call him Trent because they can't be arsed with his double barreled surname which is fair enough.

Yet Oxlade-Chamberlain was never "Alex".

Maybe he would have been had he done more in a Liverpool shirt.

It's been coming for a while but the BBC has really gone south in this tournament. Too many former England captains. Lineker has turned into a smug self indulgent virtue signalling version of Alan Partridge, chucking out dad jokes every two minutes. Shearer has gone from practically orgasming every time "Trent" touches the ball to shoutily declaring the whole thing a fiasco, three days after everyone else worked it out already. Rio has nothing insightful to say because he's just not that articulate. Robyn Cowan is so bad on comms that they've had to provide a 5 live alternative commentary just to stop our ears bleeding. Fabregas and Micah Richards have been just about OK. But compared to Keane, Carragher, Neville, they're still second rate.
Cesc has been great

He fecked a pregnant bird ?
shocked-bird.gif

What is the point of the pitch-side analysis segment? It doesn't bring any unique insight. Isn't as if they do anything more than talk in general clichés about what just happened. It's quite odd, yet appears to be a staple of coverage, at least for high profile matches.

"England need a victory tonight, Alan?"
Yes Gary
"Let's go to Sarah who's pitch-side with Joe Hart"
-Thanks Gary, I'm here pitch-side with Joe Hart. Joe, is a win essential for England tonight?"
- Yes, Sarah
"Thanks Joe. Back to you in the studio, Gary"

Lineker has turned into a smug self indulgent virtue signalling version of Alan Partridge, chucking out dad jokes every two minutes.
So he's the average British guy

But compared to Keane, Carragher, Neville, they're still second rate.
It must be bad then, the three you've named just repeat the same thing game after game.

It's a frequent embarrassment that the likes of Thomas Frank and Fabregas offer insightful analysis in a non-native language and the 'home grown' ones can barely put a sentence together.

Education levels aside, it seems like there must be some inadequacy in the way the game is taught in this country. It's the same every tournament.

It's a frequent embarrassment that the likes of Thomas Frank and Fabregas offer insightful analysis in a non-native language and the 'home grown' ones can barely put a sentence together.

Education levels aside, it seems like there must be some inadequacy in the way the game is taught in this country. It's the same every tournament.
I think so, people read the game by using lazy anecdotes instead of taking the time to understand things, it's why we get takes like: "A world-class player is a player who'd make it into any team in the world."

I think so, people read the game by using lazy anecdotes instead of taking the time to understand things, it's why we get takes like: "A world-class player is a player who'd make it into any team in the world."
I think it's deliberate. The audience for major tournaments broadcast exclusively on domestic channels is different to the Super Sunday crowd. A lot more casual fans. Bit like the level of detail I need when I watch Wimbledon once a year, proper tennis fans probably pulling their hair out.

The coverage in the U.S. is surreal sometimes. Right now I’m watching a “players only” panel discussing playing out of the back vs the keeper kicking it to midfield.

The panel is Alexei Lalas, Maurice Edu, and… Georgio Chiellini. I know which one I’m paying more attention to

What is the point of the pitch-side analysis segment? It doesn't bring any unique insight. Isn't as if they do anything more than talk in general clichés about what just happened. It's quite odd, yet appears to be a staple of coverage, at least for high profile matches.

"England need a victory tonight, Alan?"
Yes Gary
"Let's go to Sarah who's pitch-side with Joe Hart"
-Thanks Gary, I'm here pitch-side with Joe Hart. Joe, is a win essential for England tonight?"
- Yes, Sarah
"Thanks Joe. Back to you in the studio, Gary"
:lol:

Thought Rooney was good last night, Lineker and Shearer are just phoning it in, although I did like Lineker's jibe about two Iplayer ads following on from each other in quick succession. Less ads, more stuff worth watching is how you solve the problem BBC.

Thought Rooney was good last night, Lineker and Shearer are just phoning it in, although I did like Lineker's jibe about two Iplayer ads following on from each other in quick succession. Less ads, more stuff worth watching is how you solve the problem BBC.

Rooney is very good.

You guys in the West -- the UK, America, it doesn't matter -- are spoilt rotten in this department. Every major tournament we in Indonesia have to be satisfied with the most random pundits who I swear are there just to fill in the empty chairs. Getting ever so slightly better i.e. back to late-nineties levels but by and large still awful. @Sky1981 will vouch for this.

Rooney was appalling last night. "Erm, yeah, umm, err, good goal " . If you're not going to say something (vaguely) interesting , at least be coherent and understandable.
Dreadful crap.
Just have Fabregas and Thomas Frank on constantly and be done with it.

I rarely listen to any of the shit before or after the game and I go and do something at half time.
Who wants to listen to a bunch of muppets that could not make it in management and just criticise the current players.