Press Conference Thread 2013/2014

I know we'll lament missing out on Thiago, but the thing is we've rarely ever signed a player of his caliber. Ronaldinho, Sneijder, Özil etc. We did fine without them, trust in the club, even when it's highly frustrating particularly due to the evident lack of top quality in the midfield.

I agr
Of course Thiago was a target. But that's the advantage of not giving any names to the press; you can save a bit of face when it doesn't go your way.
I agree with that but many players have a big egos. Sometimes highlighting our interest could be enough to attract some of them. This is a double edged sword. Sometimes right sometimes wrong.

In this case I think a public approach would have increase our changes.

I know we'll lament missing out on Thiago, but the thing is we've rarely ever signed a player of his caliber. Ronaldinho, Sneijder, Özil etc. We did fine without them, trust in the club, even when it's highly frustrating particularly due to the evident lack of top quality in the midfield.

If it was August 31st and nobody else has been signed maybe I could understand to some extent. But those out with the noose now could do with calming the feck down.

I agr
I agree with that but many players have a big egos. Sometimes highlighting our interest could be enough to attract some of them. This is a double edged sword. Sometimes right sometimes wrong.

I believe you're utterly wrong.

I agr

I don't understand the logic in this? How would it have made any difference at all

I know we'll lament missing out on Thiago, but the thing is we've rarely ever signed a player of his caliber. Ronaldinho, Sneijder, Özil etc.

How is that a good thing though? Surely a club of our stature and standing should not have this much trouble signing such players.

Is there some function in Football Manager where the manager stating he wants a player forces the player to come? Because that's the only way I can understand where this logic comes from.

Stop tal
We're going to be getting "Moyes Out!" from you Mourinho fanboys at every opportunity. Any United loss will be gleefully seized upon as a reason to attack the manager. You might as well be Chelsea fans.
Stop talking bullshit Charlie!

I have said I back Moyes 100%, read my posts, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize him or have admiration for Mou. Don't make this personal when it's about different opinions.

I agr

Highlighting our interest? We would have made it well known by now why our interest is. If we are as far as talking to Barca and his agent, he knows exactly how much we want him. We do things as we always have done, behind the scenes. Until we agree some form of terms with either Barca or Thiago's wages, I wouldn't expect any form or announcement to confirm or deny out intentions. That is just being professional. We hardly want to go muddying the water, when Barca would also love to keep his services. If we piss them off then that isn't a good thing, Pep can do what he wants as he has good connections there still.

How is that a good thing though? Surely a club of our stature and standing should not have this much trouble signing such players.

Have you paid close attention to our transfer policy? We're not like Madrid, Chelsea, or City we don't tend to sign ready made stars. We just don't, yet we put ourselves through this every summer getting our hopes up when a deal materialises probably one every ten or so times.
As for the policy not being a good thing, you can't justify that as we've been a massive success.

Because it makes no sense.
Thiago is well aware of how much Moyes wants him. He doesn't need to hear it a second time through the media before it sinks in.

Guardiola has meant a lot to Thiago and that's what has swayed things, not whether or Thiago's name has been dropped during a press conference.

Stop tal
Stop talking bullshit Charlie!

I have said I back Moyes 100%, read my posts, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize him or have admiration for Mou. Don't make this personal when it's about different opinions.

What is there to criticise him on at this stage though? I'd hate to think what you'll be saying if we lose our first two games if you're criticising him now ffs.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I think the first part is a bit of a bold statement. Players of his caliber have come to United in the past, in the current squad there's Ferdinand, Rooney, Van Persie who I'd argue were of a similar caliber to Thiago at the moment, albeit in different positions. I'd also argue the likes of Kagawa are probably not that far behind him really. I don't agree that United haven't in the past signed players that are that good, course you get the Ronaldo or Phil Jones type players who are young and full of potential but we do sign plenty of "current" talent.

The stupidity in here sometimes surprises me.

Going on about NYSE and things like that? I think we have ways of informing them without going via the Daily Mail or Twitter.

Just because we don't know something doesn't mean it's not happening.

And Moyes said 'I never said we were in for him'. That statement is 100% true and does not say 'We were never in for him'.

For all we know, Thiago might've been just waiting for Pep to take a job.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I think the first part is a bit of a bold statement. Players of his caliber have come to United in the past, in the current squad there's Ferdinand, Rooney, Van Persie who I'd argue were of a similar caliber to Thiago at the moment, albeit in different positions. I'd also argue the likes of Kagawa are probably not that far behind him really. I don't agree that United haven't in the past signed players that are that good, course you get the Ronaldo or Phil Jones type players who are young and full of potential but we do sign plenty of "current" talent.

I didn't say we never sign players of his caliber, but it's a rarity. Probably one every three years. And we signed van Persie last summer, so we're probably not due an established star 'til 2015. :lol:

Fi
I don't understand the logic in this? How would it have made any difference at all
First of all we let this story take to long. Look at the reactions after Peps press conference. How many negative comments do you read about his approach regarding Thiago? Don't you think Thiago himself like to be a top target for the CL winners?

Like I said there is no guarantee for anything but its worth a try if we can sign the hottest young prospect in the world. Don't you think it's worth a try?

Have you paid close attention to our transfer policy? We're not like Madrid, Chelsea, or City we don't tend to sign ready made stars. We just don't, yet we put ourselves through this every summer getting our hopes up when a deal materialises probably one every ten or so times.
As for the policy not being a good thing, you can't justify that as we've been a massive success.

I do realise how we function in the transfer market. But surely the midfield area has been an obvious problem for us over the last few years and pretty much everyone is aware of that. It's not something new and it hasn't been solved by our usual policy of 'creating stars out of youth players'. How do we go about solving it in this case? I can't see any of our youngsters who'll be good enough to solve that crisis presently. Maybe one of the academy products will take over in a few years time but that's not going to work in the short term, is it? And it's not like we're trying to make a luxury signing (like most signings of the clubs you've mentioned). This is something we desperately need.

Is there some function in Football Manager where the manager stating he wants a player forces the player to come? Because that's the only way I can understand where this logic comes from.

:lol: There kinda is, you can publicly declare your interest in a player and then said player will have to respond publicly, saying either he isnt interested in moving or is flattered. If he says he is flattered, you can low ball the opening offer which gets rejected, then the player throws his toys out of the pram and hands in a transfer request because he wants to move.

Fi
First of all we let this story take to long. Look at the reactions after Peps press conference. How many negative comments do you read about his approach regarding Thiago? Don't you think Thiago himself like to be a top target for the CL winners?

Like I said there is no guarantee for anything but its worth a try if we can sign the hottest young prospect in the world. Don't you think it's worth a try?

Do you think transfers are conducted publicly? Do you think Thiago did not know United wanted him? And the first Thiago heard about Peps interest was at the press conference? That Pep had not already sorted out the deal with his own brother?

Fi

No. We tell him personally and in private that we want to sign him and is our replacement for Scholes. That should be sufficient enough for him to know that we are serious. The reason he's joined Bayern is probably because of Pep not because we didn't shout from the rooftops that we wanted Thiago

"Hi, Thiago? Yea, it's David Moyes, look we're ready to pay your release clause and we really want you as part of our squad this season, I see you having a major role in our midfield, what do you say?"

"Say that publicly or feck off"

WTF is wrong with our 'fans'? Some "go feck yourself, Moyes" comments in the Newbs'.

:lol: There kinda is, you can publicly declare your interest in a player and then said player will have to respond publicly, saying either he isnt interested in moving or is flattered. If he says he is flattered, you can low ball the opening offer which gets rejected, then the player throws his toys out of the pram and hands in a transfer request because he wants to move.

I fecking knew it! Too many muppets thinking the real world is just that simple...

WTF is wrong with our 'fans'? Some "go feck yourself, Moyes" comments in the Newbs'.

Just don't promote them! They'll be of no use to this site when the transfer season is over.

If only Moyes had hired a plane towing a banner saying "I WANT THIAGO" to circle his Barcelona home.

What is there to criticise him on at this stage though? I'd hate to think what you'll be saying if we lose our first two games if you're criticising him now ffs.
You are more then welcome to see what I do if we lose our first two games. Don't mix apples with pears.

Transfer market is similar to dating a hot birds. Show attraction and you will see magic. United is one of the biggest and most famous clubs in the world. When we show our interest in a player it will count, you can bet on that.

I have no idea of our approach against Thiago but our totally public silence didn't exactly helped the case. It would be intersting to see the reactions if we in public had shown our interest. Sometimes we need to adjust our strategy if it not working with silenze stampa.

"Hi, Thiago? Yea, it's David Moyes, look we're ready to pay your release clause and we really want you as part of our squad this season, I see you having a major role in our midfield, what do you say?"

"Say that publicly or feck off"

Thiago: "That all sounds great, but Pep who gave me my debut wants me to come to Bayern and impose the Barcelona passing style and he wants me enough to say that I'm the only midfielder and player he wants the club to sign. I think Bayern want me more than you guys do, what do you think?"

Moyes : "I never said you were a target"