Premier League Gameweek 8

He is onside when him and the keeper are pushing each other. He is only offside the moment Stones heads it.

It's a goal.

That's absolute nonsense. He's right in front of the keeper and the keeper will 100% be aware that he is there, whether that's in his direct eyeline, peripheral vision, or whether or not he can reach out and physically touch him. He's 100% interfering with the goalkeeper's decision making, which therefore has an impact on the game.
He is not offside in that situation though so it's nonsensical to talk about interfering. You might as well blow the whistle everytime a player gets near an opponent anywhere.

It’s worth saying City are very rarely on the wrong side of a dodgy VAR call, it always seems to benefit them

I turned off the river after it went in, did the ref actually go to the monitor to review it? I think it's a goal but if he's instructed to go over with 99% of decisions overturned when that is the case I can understand people being annoyed he's chosen to stick with his call and it benefits Man. City as they win with the last action of the match.

Wouldn't go full conspiracy mode but I doubt Wolves would've got that call if they'd scored that way from a corner near the end.

I’d be fuming if it was disallowed for Utd. Well done to the ref for sticking to his decision. It should be happening more often.

Agreed. It was the correct decision, too. Sad but true.
Think the Rodri injury will be your undoing

It could be, since his role is probably the most crucial in Pep's system. They've taken a massive hit, and they look vulnerable. However, someone has to keep pace with them and provide the knock-out punch next spring.

I’d be fuming if it was disallowed for Utd. Well done to the ref for sticking to his decision. It should be happening more often.
Evans says hi from last season against Burnley. If i’m correct.

That goal shouldn't stand, he's offside in front of the keeper as the shot comes in. He's clearly in his eyeline and interfering with play because of it, ducking away to side shouldn't even come into it.

I'm sure we'll see this being applied consistently.
Except he's clearly not. So many false takes about offside from football fans and even pundits, starting with not knowning what "interfering with play" means.

Even if not in his eyeline, he’s still deliberately restricting the goalie from having the option of stepping out.

This is a planned tactic and I bet theyve rehearsed it

Basically every football team tries to impede the goalie from stepping out on corners stopping short of fouling him, so duh

Any minute now the English pundits are gonna get on their knees and start blowing Cole Palmer.

The glazing is unreal…

That goal shouldn't stand, he's offside in front of the keeper as the shot comes in. He's clearly in his eyeline and interfering with play because of it, ducking away to side shouldn't even come into it.

I'm sure we'll see this being applied consistently.
You should watch it again

I assume I'm not the only one on the caf who will cheer for Arne Slot today?!

Right?

Right??

Reece James is fit again? Will he even make it to HT?

Do you think what Silva did was a foul? Did he foul the goalie?
Yes. He deliberately stops goalie from having the option of going out to the cross (goalie trying to get him out of the way) and THEN moves away.

and I’d say the same if it was us. Celebrate the late winner madly but acknowledge what had happened.

You’re purely looking to see if physical push on goalie or eyeline at moment of header and ignoring what Silva does in the lead up. I don’t think it’s clear as day/amazing official fedk up, I just think he’s obstructing the goalie.

I'm not sure you can really rule out that City goal given the kind of nonsense Arsenal get away with it every single corner goal they score.

Yes. He deliberately stops goalie from having the option of going out to the cross (goalie trying to get him out of the way) and THEN moves away.

and I’d say the same if it was us. Celebrate the late winner madly but acknowledge what had happened.

You’re purely looking to see if physical push on goalie or eyeline at moment of header and ignoring what Silva does in the lead up. I don’t think it’s clear as day/amazing official fedk up, I just think he’s obstructing the goalie.

If you think that's a foul then fair enough.
However, then it's got nothing to do with offside or interfering, and also you set the bar really, really low for players crowding the goalie on corners, completely different than the usual policy on these situations. Just think of Arsenal's players on Ederson the other week..

However, then it's got nothing to do with offside or interfering, and also you set the bar really, really low for players crowding the goalie on corners, completely different than the usual policy on these situations. Just think of Arsenal's players on Ederson the other week..
I could see why that’d be disallowed too

The issue with using VAR is that everything is always shown in super-slow motion, and the same few frames get shown again and again in microscopic detail. Looking at that video in real time convinces me even more that he's clearly interfering.

The whole crowding goalkeepers at corners needs dealing with properly, the players clearly have zero intention of playing the ball.

Lavia’s so smooth on the ball, particularly against the press

Wtf he literally is backing into the keeper, and literally is out the way as the header is coming towards him. Giving him no time to prepare to save it (I only saw the one angle in the video above mind).

I could see why that’d be disallowed too
I could too, but compared to that (and what is going on during corners every game) what Silva did with the gaolkeeper is really mild. But if you argue it's a foul, at least that's logical to want the goal disallowed. Most posters here don't argue it is a foul, they just conflate it with the interfering thing.

PS. See Silva back into goalie. I don’t know if Twitter post is correct (and they didn’t show it to ref) but that ISN’T a player standing his ground, that’s a player who backs into the goalie … probably as Foden puts his arm up to say corner coming.

The Liverpool fan yesterday was right. Jota is an excellent diving prick.