Premier League Gameweek 8

He’s not offside until the header, at which point he is definitely not interfering anymore. Gutted for Wolves but correct decision.

Wrong view shown on the replay. Had to be the one showing Bernardo backing into the keeper as the corner is coming in. I think the goal has to be ruled out in that scenario. Why is Silva there - to unbalance/put off the goalkeeper of course.

Thats ridiculous. Once the ball is delivered from the corner you cant be blocking the goalie potentially coming out to get the ball. He's interfered with the goalies focus.

That is odd if it's the rule. Because officials call fouls for wrestling in the box as the ball is in flight. It also seems if this is indeed the case the attacking player can obstruct until ball is contacted, odd. Fouls occur all over the pitch out of possession.

Had to have a good laugh at Pep coaching Bernado Silva there out on the field after the game when he knew the camera was on him. Get in the dressing room ffs.

What a terrible decision. Sa has to push Silva out of the way while the ball is in the air. Yet again VAR didn't show the whole incident to the ref. He has clearly distracted the goalie while the ball is coming in and therefore interfering.
That shove took place between the corner being kicked and Stones heading forward so any interference at that point can't be offside. Therefore, isn't the question whether or not it was a foul on the keeper?

Actually, when thinking about it. Bernardo did delay Jose Sa’s reaction to make a save. It’s a very grey area this one.

It was a very good header from close range, don't think Sa is saving it regardless although of course that dosen't always matter in offside calls.

Wolves not getting that free kick 90 seconds before on edge of the box needs to be looked at also.

Surely there's an argument for it being a foul but not offside? Silvas contact with Sa he's not offside for as Stones hadn't made contact with the ball at that point?

I might be misunderstanding the rules but Silva wasn’t offside when he did the barge because he was behind the ball when the corner was taken? He’s still a rat

Also why weren’t any of the Wolves defenders protecting him
Yeah that’s true!

Na. He bumps into him, throwing off his footing completely. He has to back up, then the ball comes in. Terrible call

It was the bump that was the issue

They don’t review second yellows

Didn’t see the bump until afterwards, entirely on whoever showed the shortened VAR clip. Suprised they didn’t CGI Casemiro 2 footing Silva to be honest

I might be misunderstanding the rules but Silva wasn’t offside when he did the barge because he was behind the ball when the corner was taken? He’s still a rat

Also why weren’t any of the Wolves defenders protecting him
No that's correct. He's not offside until the header. And not offside after it, because he obviously doesn't impact play at all.

It’s worth saying City are very rarely on the wrong side of a dodgy VAR call, it always seems to benefit them

The ref never saw the different angle. I mean who chooses what the ref looks at. Because why would they have him take a look if they were only going to show the replay that shows nothing.

Yeah he actually obstructed the goalkeeper before the header. That should have been shown on review

He can't be offside before the header though. Is he fouling the goalkeeper, or just obstructing by standing there?

That shove took place between the corner being kicked and Stones heading forward so any interference at that point can't be offside. Therefore, isn't the question whether or not it was a foul on the keeper?
I still think it can be offside (or should be). The goalie has never got fully set because he's still getting into his position after moving Bernardo. If Bernardo was removed from the incident he would be tracking the cross the whole time.

I’d be fuming if it was disallowed for Utd. Well done to the ref for sticking to his decision. It should be happening more often.

No that's correct. He's not offside until the header. And not offside after it, because he obviously doesn't impact play at all.
I think that it’s right to stand then in that case isn’t it because from the header onwards I don’t think he was impacting the play from the header onwards

I think if Sa falls after Silva backing in to him he gets the FK and the game ends a draw.
Right call though to be fair.

Arsenal like borderline corner header got us out of jail but we've started the season despite results in terrible form. Just like Arsenal yesterday, if we continue to play poorly we'll eventually get turned over. We've been behind 4 times this season already in the PL. Can't last. We look a team devoid of creativity with Fodens struggles and KDB injured.

I got laughed at for saying it earlier to Gunners fans but if Liverpool win today and get a result at Arsenal they'll win it. We can't keep getting away with the level of performance we've started the season with.

Wrong view shown on the replay. Had to be the one showing Bernardo backing into the keeper as the corner is coming in. I think the goal has to be ruled out in that scenario. Why is Silva there - to unbalance/put off the goalkeeper of course.
And would you consider that a foul? Of course not. And it can't be offside as the corner is taken from the goal line..

Arsenal like borderline corner header got us out of jail but we've started the season despite results in terrible form. Just like Arsenal yesterday, if we continue to play poorly we'll eventually get turned over. We've been behind 4 times this season already in the PL. Can't last. We look a team devoid of creativity with Fodens struggles and KDB injured.

I got laughed at for saying it earlier to Gunners fans but if Liverpool win today and get a result at Arsenal they'll win it. We can't keep getting away with the level of performance we've started the season with.
Think the Rodri injury will be your undoing

He’s not offside until the header, at which point he is definitely not interfering anymore. Gutted for Wolves but correct decision.

His interference is still affecting that moment though. If its not disallowed then it opens up a weird scenario where you are allowed to fully stand in front of the keeper as long as you duck before a header on goal. It completely ignores the distraction it causes to the goalkeeper while the ball is in flight.

I don't watch City's game, but is this the correct photo of the incident? (first image I found. Sorry for crap quality)

GaV4H4yXAAAWM1E

How is that not interfering with play?! :lol:

Think the Rodri injury will be your undoing
I think he was struggling anyway pre-injury but yeah its a big one. Teams carve out huge chances against us on the counter when he's missing. Missing both him and Walker (probably even more so) and we're easy to get at. We could have been 2 down at half time, instead of level.

For me though the biggest issue is at the top of the pitch. We're completely devoid of anything creative and Haaland who will get a deserved bit of flack, but is feeding off scraps. Gundogan looks a year past it. Foden lost, KDB injured. Bernardo is not an end product guy. We're really quite toothless. Can't be relying on the LB scoring a wondergoal and/or a John Stones header every week.

Liverpool get one injury and there’s a whole segment dedicated to it

I don't watch City's game, but is this the correct photo of the incident? (first image I found. Sorry for crap quality)

GaV4H4yXAAAWM1E

It's not interfering with play at all, obviously, he is nowhere near the ball. The discussion can only be if it is interfering with an opponent, which at the moment of the header he arguably is not.

Correct decision for me. The keeper also had time to shove Silva belt the ball came in so hardly that impeded was he

GaV4H4yXAAAWM1E

Misleading angle, the one dead centre of the goal shows that Bernardo isn't even close to being in Sa's eye-line.

His interference is still affecting that moment though. If its not disallowed then it opens up a weird scenario where you are allowed to fully stand in front of the keeper as long as you duck before a header on goal. It completely ignores the distraction it causes to the goalkeeper while the ball is in flight.

He wasn't in front of the keeper and wasn't anywhere near the line of the ball. Go back and look at the replay from the front middle. Silva is about 2 yards to the left of the keeper

It's not interfering with play at all, obviously, he is nowhere near the ball. The discussion can only be if it is interfering with an opponent, which at the moment of the header he arguably is not.

That's absolute nonsense. He's right in front of the keeper and the keeper will 100% be aware that he is there, whether that's in his direct eyeline, peripheral vision, or whether or not he can reach out and physically touch him. He's 100% interfering with the goalkeeper's decision making, which therefore has an impact on the game.

That goal shouldn't stand, he's offside in front of the keeper as the shot comes in. He's clearly in his eyeline and interfering with play because of it, ducking away to side shouldn't even come into it.

I'm sure we'll see this being applied consistently.