Premier League Festive Season

Saw an opinion online that Van Dijk's injury has impacted us more negatively in an offensive sense than it has defensively because his distribution is far better than anyone else we have who can play there. He loved a long diagonal and usually got them spot on. That allowed us to switch the play and bypass packed midfields.

Weirdly we were worse defensively when VVD was playing compared to since he's been out injured.

Teams do naturally get figured out after time as well. Sides always look at whoever won the league and work out ways to over come what they offer.
Van Dijk completed the most passes in the league last season. Great on the ball as well as a great defender.

I think it's Madrid he wants. Barcelona don't look like the best option right now.

Do players just want to play for Madrid for the sake of playing for them?

Salah is a prolific goal scorer and Liverpool are probably a top 2 team in Europe, certainly the best team England, managed by a top 3, likely top 1, manager in the world. I can't imagine wanting to leave a situation where I've got it so good.

Salah is a prolific goal scorer and Liverpool are probably a top 2 team in Europe, certainly the best team England, managed by a top 3, likely top 1, manager in the world. I can't imagine wanting to leave a situation where I've got it so good.
Carbon copy of Ronaldo 09.

Carbon copy of Ronaldo 09.

Yeah true, the only difference probably being Ronaldo had been at United since he was 18 and already cemented his status as a club legend.

Salah has been at Liverpool for 5 minutes.

...and after Ramos body slammed him to tears as well.

Yeah true, the only difference probably being Ronaldo had been at United since he was 18 and already cemented his status as a club legend.

This is Salah's 4th season at Liverpool. Ronaldo was at United for 6. And wanted to leave after 5.

Beat Villa and them lot drop points v Southampton and it becomes a very interesting couple of weeks.

Saw an opinion online that Van Dijk's injury has impacted us more negatively in an offensive sense than it has defensively because his distribution is far better than anyone else we have who can play there. He loved a long diagonal and usually got them spot on. That allowed us to switch the play and bypass packed midfields.

Weirdly we were worse defensively when VVD was playing compared to since he's been out injured.

Teams do naturally get figured out after time as well. Sides always look at whoever won the league and work out ways to over come what they offer.

If what you are missing is VVD‘s ball distribution then it‘s worry and makes Klopp looks like the bad one here because which centre back are currently on his ball distribution level? I mean any manager would love to have VVD ball distribution ability and his defensive skills, it makes the job easier, don’t need to be tactical good coaching just relying on great assets of complete package player.

If it’s just ball playing then Matip & Fabinho are good enough, even Matip had assist of great pass on Mane’s goal vs west Brom.

Not really, he's been there three (soon to be four) seasons in which time he's been their best goalscorer, and a key player in winning the Champions League and their first league title in decades. I'll defer to actual Liverpool fans, but I would imagine he's already on the verge of club legend status. Certainly he's one of their best players from the modern era.

Beat Villa and them lot drop points v Southampton and it becomes a very interesting couple of weeks.
I don't think their result against Southampton even matters all that much. If we beat Villa we put a ton of pressure on that game at Anfield. The media still doesn't think much of us, but win against Villa and the build-up for that game will be immense; all the talk will be about a Liverpool/United title race when we were never supposed to be in it. It's important to remember Liverpool have never been in this situation before. In 18/19 they were the chasers, and in 19/20 they had such a massive lead from the start that no one was ever going to catch them. Being the defending champions and the leaders in a tight race is a very different type of pressure, and we don't know yet if they can handle it.

Having watched Liverpool’s games and our own (Man Utd) I can see why the Liverpool fans are confident they will win the title.

They are definitely more fluid than us, they play a simple but highly effective game. I have no idea how they did not win today but they are inviting pressure onto themselves now.

I still see Liverpool winning it with Man City pushing them close.

If you'd been to both Liverpool and Madrid, his wanting to swap would make a bit more sense!

Also, he's won everything possible at Liverpool and is 28, good time to try a new adventure.

If you'd been to both Liverpool and Madrid, his wanting to swap would make a bit more sense!

Also, he's won everything possible at Liverpool and is 28, good time to try a new adventure.
I haven't, but still I can envision the differences in every day life as it plays out in the two respective cities. Madrid any day for me!

Have you ever been T'Egypt? I used to between about 2008-2014 every other year for an all inclusive with the Mrs.

Every single taxi driver, waiter, bar man, shop keeper, airport worker, raved about Real Madrid, Barca, Ronaldo and Messi.

Liverpool and Man City were relatively unsupported and its no surprise he's sounding out Madrid & Barca.

Fun fact: I was in Hard Rock Cafe in Naama Bay with a few random Manc couples watching THAT Aston Villa game and THAT Rooney pass to RVP over his shoulder. #20

Have you ever been T'Egypt? I used to between about 2008-2014 every other year for an all inclusive with the Mrs.

Every single taxi driver, waiter, bar man, shop keeper, airport worker, raved about Real Madrid, Barca, Ronaldo and Messi.

Liverpool and Man City were relatively unsupported and its no surprise he's sounding out Madrid & Barca.

Fun fact: I was in Hard Rock Cafe in Naama Bay with a few random Manc couples watching THAT Aston Villa game and THAT Rooney pass to RVP over his shoulder. #20

That was when both clubs weren't doing much! I'm sure it's changed somewhat. Get to Cairo today and I'm sure out of the first 5 taxi drivers, 3 will have a red Salah shirt on

Depends on the match week. We had an away game in Europe on a Wednesday followed by an early kick off at Brighton (or some away fixture) on a Saturday during one week. We've got a slightly longer break between games but two of them are away at opposite ends of the country so hardly easy in terms of travel. I don't think it's been especially harsh or favorable to us this season. Bit of a mix.
I meant over Christmas. By slightly longer you mean double, and this happened at least last year too. Any idea why? I don’t think it’s RAWKISH as you put it to question that as there doesn’t seem to be a valid explanation for it.

Funnily enough you seem worse the more rest you get so I’m not complaining too much :lol: It’s clear some other teams need a nice 4 day break between games at the moment though.

That was when both clubs weren't doing much! I'm sure it's changed somewhat. Get to Cairo today and I'm sure out of the first 5 taxi drivers, 3 will have a red Salah shirt on
Are you calling Egyptian taxi drivers glory supporters? :lol:

WTF...just saw that liveepool don't play Soton will Monday. That's 4 fecking days of rest whilst most other teams only get 2!! How is that fair?!

This may be blasphemy to some, but Liverpool is a great city to live in :D

'Good time to try a new adventure' sure does sound like change for the sake of change.

Thiago also left Bayern to join Liverpool and I'd argue that Bayern are the better team (very close) and Munich is a nicer city to live in. These things happen.

This may be blasphemy to some, but Liverpool is a great city to live in :D

'Good time to try a new adventure' sure does sound like change for the sake of change.

He's lived in London, Florence, Rome, Cairo and wherever the feck in Switzerland Basel is. He's a wanderer.

He's getting the feck out of Liverpool the second he gets the chance to move to Real. Its mission accomplished for him at Anfield.

Liverpool won't sell him for anything less than, what, 80 million? He'll be 29 in the summer, I can't see Madrid forking out that sort of money for him, especially since he's not as hungry as he was a couple of years back and not remotely as deadly either.

Reckon he'll retire at Liverpool.

Retire there? No chance. Unless you think he'll quit very early indeed, like 31-32?

He could play another 6-8 years and there's no way he's still at Liverpool then.

Trust me, they have always loved Real Madrid and Barca, and La Liga. Thats who Egyptians follow and support as their own clubs.

That's why Salah wants to go play for them. It's been that way for 30+ years, he'll have supported them as a child.

WTF...just saw that liveepool don't play Soton will Monday. That's 4 fecking days of rest whilst most other teams only get 2!! How is that fair?!

Swings and roundabouts. We blatantly only beat Wolves because they were unfairly handed 1 day less rest than us and were cramping up all over the pitch.

And don't forget, Liverpool bottled it against West Brom after 8 days rest :lol:

Swings and roundabouts. We blatantly only beat Wolves because they were unfairly handed 1 day less rest than us and were cramping up all over the pitch.

And don't forget, Liverpool bottled it against West Brom after 8 days rest :lol:
And we had 2 days rest before the Leicester game and they had a week off.
We've already been through that roundabout!

That’s fine. More rest time for Southampton players. Crucial for Southampton since they don’t really rotate.

Thiago also left Bayern to join Liverpool and I'd argue that Bayern are the better team (very close) and Munich is a nicer city to live in. These things happen.
Thiago's move was arguably decided by other factors. He was with Bayern for a long time (7 years), had just crowned his time there with the treble, and, turning 29, knew it was now or never for another big contract at a top club.

It makes sense really.

you’re having to play a lot safer and slower without VVD being the get out of jail card. His cross field pass to TAA or a ball over the top for Salah/Mane is missing too.

while against Newcastle it was purely good keeping/poor finishing that cost you, it’s clear that you aren’t keeping up the same relentless pressure.

wilson managed to dribble his way through your defence and win a free kick/throw in a few times, that would never happen with VVD and Matip.

Are you basing your winning formula on long diagonals?

I'd say you should be putting away your one-on-ones really. Not relying on a long-diagonal from your CB. Plus, you still get constant diagonals from Trent, Robertson and Henderson

Retire there? No chance. Unless you think he'll quit very early indeed, like 31-32?

He could play another 6-8 years and there's no way he's still at Liverpool then.

I mean, there is no worse fate for a footballer than being forced to retire in the Land of Scouse, but he may not have a choice.

With the COVID-related financial problems in football right now, coupled with his age and what looks like natural regression, I just can't see Madrid stumping up the fee required for his services.

Liverpool don't need to sell so his price tag will be in the region of 80 to 100 million. Who would be interested at that price?