PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 15 January 2017

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Draw in the end probably a fair result.
Match completely passed by Pogba, seemed too overhyped and gave away daft penalty and some awful marking at corners.

Credit Liverpool with their energy and pressing. All their occasions though came from our mistakes and we were too sloppy especially in the first half.

We just played too centrally and didn't exploit the wings until late on.
Really difficult to name MOM. Jones did well other than faffing about for the mistake that led to their goal.
We did actually look better when Fellaini came on, Valencia did well, still making my mind up

Ban

What sitters did we miss today? We had some pretty good chances, better than Liverpools IMO, but I wouldn't call either "absolute sitters". Mkhi and Pogba were both under pressure from defenders and both shots were on their weaker foot. Good chances, nothing more.
1 on 1 with a keeper is a sitter.

Ban

Draw in the end probably a fair result.
Match completely passed by Pogba, seemed too overhyped and gave away daft penalty and some awful marking at corners.

Credit Liverpool with their energy and pressing. All their occasions though came from our mistakes and we were too sloppy especially in the first half.

We just played too centrally and didn't exploit the wings until late on.
Really difficult to name MOM. Jones did well other than faffing about for the mistake that led to their goal.
We did actually look better when Fellaini came on, Valencia did well, still making my mind up
For all the abuse Jose got for subbing Fellaini he was quite good and goal came after his shot hit the bar.

Rooney sub on the other hand.. Didn't work at all.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
So what you are saying is that Pogba, Zlatan, Mkhitaryan, Martial and Rashford are bullshit players ? They would all easily get in the Chelsea team, it is just conté would actually be able to use them alot better.

Also if you would have said Luiz would walk into our team last year, the Caf police would have thrown you out for trolling.
Cool, I don't care for the Caf's opinions. If I did then Pogba would be a fraud.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Define 'much much better'....
We dominated the match from start to finish and had some good chances in the process.

What did Liverpool have?? The penalty and one shot saved by De Gea, which you would expect with them playing on the break.

If Pogba had scored early in the game, they would not have been capable of scoring - the only reason they were dangerous going forward was after the penalty. They're lucky to be up there behind Chelsea.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Yeah, that was the last time we had to endure your whinging. We've a decent run of fixtures coming up. Fingers crossed we're spared for another while.
Just stop papering over Mourinho's failure.

He is 6th in the league and he can't win any difficult game against a top team. Just winning against the lower league teams won't be enough to finish top 4 let alone challeneg for the title because all the other teams above us are also winning quite easily against the bottom teams. He needs to start winning games like today instead of being happy to walk away with a point.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just stop papering over Mourinho's failure.

He is 6th in the league and he can't win any difficult game against a top team. Just winning against the lower league teams won't be enough to finish top 4 let alone challeneg for the title because all the other teams above us are also winning quite easily against the bottom teams. He needs to start winning games like today instead of being happy to walk away with a point.
Now you're just making shit up. I'll leave you to it...

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
We dominated the match from start to finish and had some good chances in the process.

What did Liverpool have?? The penalty and one shot saved by De Gea, which you would expect with them playing on the break.

If Pogba had scored early in the game, they would not have been capable of scoring - the only reason they were dangerous going forward was after the penalty. They're lucky to be up there behind Chelsea.
You're being too kind to us. Liverpool were missing key players and we had almost our strongest team out there.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
What fair result? We should have won by a big margin. But this has been happening through our entire season this year: missing absolute sitters. Not just any chance, sitters. Once our luck turns and these begin to go in, we will be unstoppable.
:lol:

The red panther

princess transfer emo

If's and but's

Today was a must win game for us, we had home advantage and Liverpool was missing 3 key players. Not getting the 3 points is a miserable failure on our side.

And we have good chances in every game but somehow we keep waisting them.

Motorman

Worst performance in ages. Deserve nothing from the game. Flattered by a point. Absolutely flattered.

Have to question the preparation. Everyone to a man looked an absolute bag of nerves. Never deserved less from this fixture in God knows how long. Robbed a point we didn't deserve.

Shit.
Really???

Hit the post, missed two 1v1s, martial whiskers away from connecting 3 yards out. Cliche, but on another day we could have had 3 or 4.

I get that we didn't perform as well as usual, but aside from a stupid error by Pogba i think we were the better side and should have had 3 points... To say we robbed a point is very harsh, and IMO incorrect.

siw2007

A draw isn't a bad result, not a good one either but keeps us in the hunt the top positions for now. Thought we were the better team in the first half with the majority of chances falling to us, if Pogba tucks away his shot and Zlatan's blocked clearance drops under the crossbar it may have been a different game but alas Pogba's moment of madness sets us down a goal. Second half started well but Coutinho changed the game for them and they started to pick us apart, they probably felt they should have scored the second. Fortunately, Fellaini had a similar effect for us and allowed us to get a foothold when we thought the game was drifting away and it was great to nick a point.

I always feel that when we are at home, we should not accept anything less than a win so the point probably suits Liverpool more. As long as we can pick up our winning streak again it will be okay. At least we aren't today's big losers.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You're being too kind to us. Liverpool were missing key players and we had almost our strongest team out there.
So what? It doesn't mean that a so called 'stronger' player will be better on the day.

So is Rooney our best substitute at this point in time?! Of course not.

Maybe we could have won it with Rashford instead of Rooney, and we all have to remember that every game has it's own story.

We are on the right road to having a better team than the last 3 years and we all have to be patient.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
More to the point darmian offered no help on that side at all
No true ... Darmian was pretty much faultless today; cool calm & calculated something you cannot say about all our lads today. He played to the best of his ability, didn't get beaten and offered something going forward. Are there better LB's in the league? Sure, but he was a defender first today and did was asked of him.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
So what? It doesn't mean that a so called 'stronger' player will be better on the day.

Maybe we could have won it with Rashford instead of Rooney, and we all have to remember that every game has it's own story.

We are on the right road to having a better team than the last 3 years and we all have to be patient.
Actually it was in reference to you saying they're lucky to be up there behind Chelsea. They got a draw with us away with loads of key players missing. Seems they're where they belong.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If's and but's

Today was a must win game for us, we had home advantage and Liverpool was missing 3 key players. Not getting the 3 points is a miserable failure on our side.

The missing of chances if a different matter. You cannot blame the manager for that, that is down to the players. Pogba completely let the intensity of the game get to him today. A calmer Pogba might have scored, same with Mkhitaryan. We are still creating chances, but need to show some calmness in front of goal. Rooney has lost it completely.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
1 on 1 with a keeper is a sitter.
Which one was the one-on-one? Both the Pogba and the Mkhi chances had defenders right on their right shouder applying pressure and trying to nick the ball away. Both on their weaker foot. Mkhi's was wider to the left of the goal and still being pressured.

Not sitters or one-on-ones.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

You can bet your arse a lot of the people slating Mourinho for not playing Rashford were slating the player himself after his awful performance in his last appearance. Go figure.

Ash_G

Pretty disappointing for me. Although it was good to see us fight back and get the equaliser which does demonstrate some mental strength did feel that there was at the very least a distinct lack of leadership/tactical thinking on the pitch.

Really didn't feel that we ever adapted to make the most of Martial being up against the RB. The amount of times he'd get the ball really wide and be surrounded by 2-3 Liverpool players seemed quite high. Typically we build on the left and then switch to the right to bring in Valencia, really felt that we could have wizened up and built more on the right to open the space on the left as when Martial did get some space it looked like he could get past him pretty easily.

Was a weird one today. Had some players who simply weren't at it and others where the flaws in their game were exposed. I felt going in to it that Pogba's tendency to hold the ball for a bit too long could be exposed with Liverpool's pressing. Felt it was telling that he was kept on all game. I guess you would argue that he might produce one moment of class but for me felt like his head was gone for whatever reason, personally would have brought Mata in for him rather than the Carrick for Rooney switch.

Wasn't to surprised to see Jones's mistake which led to the corner pre penalty (although moment of madness from Pogba) as it is a weakness in his game to dally at times. Similarly Rojo gave the ball away a lot when there was easy passes on to De Gea. In general both of them were too slow in moving the ball. If the opposition are going to press like Liverpool if you keep going sideways they're going to force you back and to an eventual punt which is what happened a few times.

I thought Fellaini clearly made an impact when he came on, he's definitely a decent option off the bench . The problem with him, much like Crouch in the past for England is the tendency on the other players to give up on playing and lump it making the game a lot easier for the opposition that it should be. It's not Fellaini's fault they do that but certainly something that needs to be ironed out.

Overall disappointing for me, this was a Liverpool team missing a fair few players. Yes we were comfortable for a lot of the first half but we definitely could have played better and for me I wasn't sure on some of the substitutions/style of play but end of the day at least we got the draw and City slipped up as well. Looks like we could be getting towards a 4 way scrap for 3/4th with City, Liverpool and Arsenal.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
If's and but's

D'you expect Jose to make miracles??!!

He's working on the team and we're on an unbeaten run - moaning will get us nowhere.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
A number of players had an off day. Still had enough chances to win the game.

Cpt Negative

Same old this season.

Three golden chances not taken and another home 1-1. If we miss out on top 4 we only have poor finishing to blame

I'd like to know how the officials only came up with 3 minutes off injury time. Allowing 30 seconds per sub and goal, the officials decided there was no time wasting in the game, despite Oliver warning Mignolet at least 3 times

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You can bet your arse a lot of the people slating Mourinho for not playing Rashford were slating the player himself after his awful performance in his last appearance. Go figure.
You're right!

I was following the comments during the match and it seems that all, or most, of our players were shite, but then they were the cream on the cake during other games!

I read anti- Herrera / Carrick / Jones / Ibra / Miki and then anti - Fellaini / Rooney / Pogba etc etc comments when all of these players were heroes for those commenting, during other matches.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This was the first time I thought Fellaini should have been on earlier. We should have bypassed their pressing game and weak defence with long ball tactics for much longer than the last 10 minutes.

Rooney is definitely finished as a top-flight footballer.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 643 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Liverpool