PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 15 January 2017

We simply couldn't handle their pressing game. Pogba in particular struggled to cope with it, as did Carrick and Herrera - though the latter gave as good as he got when it came to pressing/closing down.

But for all their highly effective pressing, Liverpool offered very little in the way of an attacking threat. In fact they looked more like a midtable team as opposed to the team currently second in the league. A bunch average footballers playing above their station, which speaks more about Klopp's managment of the team as a unit than it does the players themselves. He has them playing beyond their capability which is an outstanding achievement. Klopp is to good a manager for Liverpool, he'll realise that soon enough and look for greener grass - I hope so in any case, what he could achieve with a better set of players is worrying indeed.

He's the Liverpool manager. He's not gonna give Utd credit for anything.
yes but his pissy comments about the long balls are poor. United had 20% of pass long. Liverpool had 19%.

The sky coverage in general is very poor. Three scouse players, two on the panel and einstein on the gantry. Where is the balance in the studio? why is Henry there and not at least one utd ex to add a bit of balance?

Thought Herrera was average, lots of wayward passes although a good setup to Mkhitaryan first half.

Not sure whether suited to such games, Fellaini's physicality clearly changed things. Herrera was definitely not covering enough ground first half.

Easy to criticise Pogba but the players around him need to do their share of running.
Herrera ran his socks off and was trying to carry a whole midfield. Carrick cannot cope with this type of game, Pogba was far too pumped up and needs to stop believing all his own publicity. There is being up for a game, but not to the extent that it disengages your brain.

A missed opportunity and am really pissed with Pogba; messed up the chance and proceeded to hand Liverpool the initiative on a platter whilst not affecting play very much. Infuriating how he thinks he can bulldoze past three players when keeping it simple would do.
Jose also shot us in the foot by bringing on Rooney when Rashford or Mata would have been better. Needs to cut out the sentimentality concerning the record and field players on their capacity to hurt teams. Shout out to Herrera, De Gea and Mkhi and credit to Zlatan for the goal.

Unbeaten in 15/16.
There's more to come.
Disappointed with the result, but a result I can live with. Fighting spirit is there for all to see. Nobody is going to have a perfect game in a highly charged and emotional game. So give the guys a break, they human, young enough and will learn from this.
I'm still confident for this season.

Miki on
Herrera ran his socks off and was trying to carry a whole midfield. Carrick cannot cope with this type of game, Pogba was far too pumped up and needs to stop believing all his own publicity. There is being up for a game, but not to the extent that it disengages your brain.

This, spot fecking on!!!..shades or Ronnie yet at least Ronnie produced at the highest levels

Martial was the best player on the pitch and looked dangerous everytime he had the ball.

Jose got that wrong but was right about Fellaini who dominated and Liverpool had no answer for.

We weren't as bad as many think and we were undone by a brain fart. Form goes out the window in these games.

We lost to city many times when they were shite and we were winning champions leagues.

- I know Pogba is the most expensive man in the world, or something, and has been very good lately, but if someone decides to have some kind of complete mental breakdown during an important game, you take them off. He was, extremely foortunately for him, given the chance to show after half time that he'd got his head together. It became clear he hadn't. He shouldn't have come out for the second half really but to leave him on for the whole game was ridiculous. Towards the end when Herrera tired we were playing without a midfield at all.

- Credit to Vallencia, but your fullback should never be your best attacking player. Let alone by such an obviously large margin. If he is it means you're doing something wrong. It's happened in a few games lately too.

- Fellaini came on and looked more composed and better than most of the rest of the team. Again there is no circumstance where this doesn't mean the rest of the team need to have a long hard look at themselves.

- Our lack of composure is actuallly quite astonishing. Every chance in every game is snatched at. Half our players seems to lose control of their limbs the second it looks like they might be in on goal. The last 20 minutes and especially the reaction after we scored looked like a bunch of people scrambling around in a supermarket after the government announce a nuclear war is going to start in 20 minutes time or something. After our gooal it was so bad I actually thought it was going to hand the game back to Liverpool. People can harp on about corners being turned, but as long as we play like a bunch of panicking lunatics in any remotely difficult situation, there's not going to be anyone to steer the car round the corner. It'll just crash into a wall.

- That bit at the end where Rooney dummied about 15 people just to get a shot in instead of playing the ball wide. Annoying, but I'll let him off in the circumstances. Especially considering how dogshite the rest of the team where in similar positions.

- Enjoyed Redknapp explaining how Coutinho had come on and stopped Liverpool giving the ball away in their own half due to his extreme calmness. a) he wasn't playing in his own half so had no impact on what was going on there b) They gave the ball away in their own half 3 times WHILE Redknappp was explaining how they'd stopped doing this.

- What's Neville actually talking about during games?

- Impressively crap game. We did everything we did to try and lose but Liverpool seemed pretty determined to do the same. If it was a boxing match it would have been 12 rounds of boxers tripping over each other's feet and punching themselves in the face. Klopp and Mourinho both looked baffled and furious towards the end.

- We're still well in the hunt for a top 4 spot, but the delusional idea we're goood enough to win the league from the position we're in needs putting to bed now. We aren't...annd we still have fundamental problems to sort out before we can call ourselves potential title contenders yet. Mainly our inability not to panic.

yes but his pissy comments about the long balls are poor. United had 20% of pass long. Liverpool had 19%.

The sky coverage in general is very poor. Three scouse players, two on the panel and einstein on the gantry. Where is the balance in the studio? why is Henry there and not at least one utd ex to add a bit of balance?

Liverpool being ungracious classless cnuts, who'd have thought? Agree, Sky were abysmal with their coverage.

I give up. I can't write in another English language friend. I suggest you re-read the posts again if you want to catch the idea. If not, whatever.

I catch the idea very well. It seems like you're being a bit too pedantic, though. "Focus on the Europa League" does not mean "Withdraw from participation in the Premier League", which is what you seem to have thought I've said.

They had Coutinho in most of those games. Liverpool pressed well to take the ball back and it surprised some of our players. Also, when we pressed, the luck was not on our side. 7 times out of 10, Herrera has some of the balls he missed when pressing. This time, it went through his legs...

Whilst he is arguably their best player Liverpool is still a very boisterous and attack-minded side to play against. Don't forget, they also won against City without Coutinho and that is not to be underestimated. It says a lot about where we are now when the majority of our fans are seeing this as a loss. With or without Coutinho on the pitch we were the better side for me and looked more like a side who wanted to win the game.

I thought we were quite good bar Pogba. Problem is he's one of our most important players and his mistake today gave Liverpool the lead, making us chase the game. It's not that shitty a team performance as a lot of people are claiming, I think that's just emotions speaking. We had Liverpool pinned back in large periods of the game for christ sake. We were the more dominant side even with all their pressing. Case in point, one of the sides out there wasn't in a rush to get the game going and I bet was relieved when the final whistle came. That side wasn't us.

Your lots on BT, there's the balance. You've got Neville on commentary stop whining.

Under LVG we had a better record against the top teams, where did that get us? Big wins mean nothing when you cant beat half the other teams.
4th & 5th we are currently 6th. his worse season we were 5th on equal points with the 4th place team now we are 6th 4 points behind the 4th place team.
I'm not saying he was good or Jose wont turn it around but we do need to start turning up against the big teams.

Whilst he is arguably their best player Liverpool is still a very boisterous and attack-minded side to play against. Don't forget, they also won against City without Coutinho and that is not to be underestimated. It says a lot about where we are now when the majority of our fans are seeing this as a loss. With or without Coutinho on the pitch we were the better side for me and looked more like a side who wanted to win the game.

Cheers pal, cheered me up there! yes dust ourselves down and go on another run.

I know they had a weakened team but I think Liverpool will be feeling a bit sick right now, to be honest. Their pressing game was difficult for Man United to handle - a symptom of Mourinho's sides due to what is often perceived as a lack of movement and energy expenditure (which can have a positive effect late on - as noted).

Honestly, I thought they were too relaxed at 1-0 - opting for a little too much pragmatism. A second goal would have killed United and it wasn't as though the door wasn't somewhat open in the United defence. I think Liverpool didn't make enough of their counter attacking opportunities and dallied on the ball too often. From Klopp's point of view, I think he should have threw Sturridge on with Coutinho at 1-0 (in place of Firmino). Sturridge's pace and energy at the top of the pitch could have unsettled a United defence with little protection and there would have been a good chance he would have got in behind.

I think it's a decent result for both teams, in a way. United because they didn't deserve much more on the day and Liverpool because not losing away to a fierce rival is normally a positive. I enjoyed the game despite the lack of quality from both sides.

Liverpool were under strength BUT so were we. We didn't realise it till today. Bailly should be playing over Jones for me and our LB is a mess. Hope shaw can get back there and own it

I hate the way Klopps tries to twist up and change a narrative. He cleverly uses his breath, speech (tones et all) and expression to charge it but when you look past that, you see the garbage he's rebranding and selling to you.

It was an uphill battle - the game. Terrain of our own making too. 2 points dropped but proud of the way we persevered through the heads down period.

Love how the gears in Mou's head are always moving.

Pogba's head was elsewhere today. His body language and being second to practically every loose ball was telling. Was an absolute defensive liability.

We simply couldn't handle their pressing game. Pogba in particular struggled to cope with it, as did Carrick and Herrera - though the latter gave as good as he got when it came to pressing/closing down.

But for all their highly effective pressing, Liverpool offered very little in the way of an attacking threat. In fact they looked more like a midtable team as opposed to the team currently second in the league. A bunch average footballers playing above their station, which speaks more about Klopp's managment of the team as a unit than it does the players themselves. He has them playing beyond their capability which is an outstanding achievement. Klopp is to good a manager for Liverpool, he'll realise that soon enough and look for greener grass - I hope so in any case, what he could achieve with a better set of players is worrying indeed.

It's just not surprising that we struggled with the press. In easier games our midfield is often left with the option only to play it back, as there isn't much movement around them to receive the ball. Usually Pogba opens up the space on his own but Klopp realized this and cancelled it out.

I hate the way Klopps tries to twist up and change a narrative. He cleverly uses his breath, speech (tones et all) and expression to charge it but when you look past that, you see the garbage he's rebranding and selling to you.

It was an uphill battle - the gane. Terrain of our own making too. 2 points dropped but proud of the way we persevered through the heads down period.

What did Klopp do now?

Really sloppy stuff.

Pogba really needs to study midfielders: just pass the bloody ball and move.

Rooney had the worst substitute appearance I've ever seen.

Jeez... I wanted 3 points badly but it wasn't as shit as some are saying. We outplayed them in every respect. Just a shame Pogba wasn't better.

Extremely entertaining too

Sooo annoyed by that. One of our worst performances in a long time.

Must win game for us, we could have gotten level with City today if we had taken 3 points today.

We had a better run of games as they did, we had home advantage and they were missing 3 important players: Mané, Matip and Clyne. Also they had a defence with an 18 year old RB who had a grant total of 2 minutes PL experience and a centreback pair consisting of Klavan and Lovren.

How in godsname did we not win this ?

Our midfield 3 have proven to completley useless in top games. Pogba lost the plot completley and he just gifted liverpool that goal on a golden platter.

Very disappointed in this team. Especially in Pogba and Martial who contribute nothing. Also Zlatan does nothing for 90 minutes but wait for his moment to score his goal, I really think the role of a striker should be bigger than that. And clearly Pogba is not talented enough to warrant playing in a formation without a real nr 10 just to get the best out of him. Also Rooney is well past it and should be flogged off to China asap and Carrick is likley the most overrated player in the history of the club.

Over the moon with a point.
Yea me too tbh. This is United vs Liverpool... We've played great and lost, played shite and won. Nothing is a given... I'll take whatever I can get... Fcuk scapegoating, it wouldn't be unusual for a player or team not to turn up in these games. We didn't lose, I'm ok with this...

Ive read a few quotes saying we were unlucky, but it was a definite penalty for them, and if were honest Valencia was offside for the goal, but these things even out over the season, and we will get scored against by an offside goal somewhere

It was an uphill battle - the game. Terrain of our own making too. 2 points dropped but proud of the way we persevered through the heads down period.

Love how the gears in Mou's head are always moving.

Pogba's head was elsewhere today. His body language and being second to practically every loose ball was telling. Was an absolute defensive liability.
Bit like the master of twisting and changing the narrative in Mou, then? :lol:

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 643 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool