PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 September 2024

I get the frustrations but today is a good day and one we can take very real positives from. If we play like that over the rest of the season we will be tough to beat and likely be pushing hard for top 4.

Positive performance but don't want that point, we threw away momentum in second half

For what it's worth, I think that first half performance was the best I've seen United played this season. It just missed a scoring touch to open the floodgate. But the defense, pressing and the build up was very very good.

For what it's worth, I think that first half performance was the best I've seen United played this season. It just missed a scoring touch to open the floodgate. But the defense, pressing and the build up was very very good.

Hard to remember first half now with that utterly dreadful draw due to being so bloody wasteful

Can we not? Our performance falling off a cliff was a direct result of his substitutions. You don't just sub off your best player until that point in the game and leave Bruno on who's having a complete nightmare.
The subs were a direct result of the player's profligacy in chance conversion.

Needs to score a goal. Rashford, at the time, was the only viable substitute in this regard (Hojlund is returning from injury).
Part of being a good manager is being able to react successfully to how the game develops.

Ten Hag has failed in this aspect today.

That said, our inability to finish is indeed another teething issue.

Part of being a better manager is controlling the game from the start. ten Hag had set United perfectly, only to be forced into gambled substitutions due to player profligacy.

There are very few squads in the world who can react to every contingency, if at all any.

Our finishing is not a 'teething issue' either, to be blithely disregarded in favour of a good ol' ten Hag bash.

Lots of encouraging elements despite the frustrating result.

Which is why the familiar individual errors returning, coupled with the hyper-focus on blaming the manager, feels as bad as it does.

The subs were a direct result of the player's profligacy in chance conversion.

Needs to score a goal. Rashford, at the time, was the only viable substitute in this regard (Hojlund is returning from injury).

Part of being a better manager is controlling the game from the start. ten Hag had set United perfectly, only to be forced into gambled substitutions due to player profligacy.

There are very few squads in the world who can react to every contingency, if at all any.

Our finishing is not a 'teething issue' either, to be blithely disregarded in favour of a good ol' ten Hag bash.

Which is why the familiar individual errors returning, coupled with the hyper-focus on blaming the manager, feels as bad as it does.
Introducing Rashford wasn't the issue for me, it's replacing him with Zirkzee and playing up front before Rasmus was introduced. We have had enough examples of Rashford not being a striker.
That and the fact that Bruno finished the game.

Introducing Rashford wasn't the issue for me, it's replacing him with Zirkzee and playing up front before Rasmus was introduced. We have had enough examples of Rashford not being a striker.
That and the fact that Bruno finished the game.
Zirkzee is a good player alright, but he's a player we did not need to sign. He's not a goalscorer. Stole Garna's goal v Brighton and has wasted good chances against Liverpool, Saints and now Palace.

Yes, his build-up is slick, but we need substance, not style.

I agree about Bruno finishing the game but am mindful about his replacement (Mount) being eased back.

It seems EtH is paranoid about shape and is unwilling to gamble changing it. Fair criticism there, but he set United up well and was disappointed by, yes, individual errors.

The forward line's profligacy is the real issue here.

This is actually really simple: We were good as long as Eriksen and Zirkzee could link up with Garnacho and Amad. The first 45 minutes was the best United in the last year or so. When Eriksens legs went around 55-60 we lost control of the game. That is something Bruno, Ugarte and Mainoo are not able to maintain. Afterwards we played slow and without a plan. There is a lot of blame for Rashford and Rasmus here, but what should they have done. The link up play was non existent in the last 30 minutes.

Villa still look really good and chelsea seem to have gotten their shit together, so feels like our best case scenario now is finishing sixth? Is that good enough? Probably not, but I don’t know if this squad is capable of more.

Villa still look really good and chelsea seem to have gotten their shit together, so feels like our best case scenario now is finishing sixth? Is that good enough? Probably not, but I don’t know if this squad is capable of more.
Villa do look good at the moment, but their champions league schedule could seriously cause problems later in the season. Their squad is not good enough to sustain their current league form imo

This is why I think ETH is the man before the man but is also the biggest conundrum facing INEOS.

I think ETH during this and next season can get us playing great football, into the top 4, going far in the CL, maybe even title challenge. But his limitations will always be his daft illogical subs that make no sense to the tactical flow of the game. And when/if United peak under ETH it will make the difference better runners up and first etc.

But for INEOS how do they find a manager with the same positives, who plays a similar style of play, but is braver and has a higher in match iq than ETH.

Could you explain why you think this may happen? As I cannot see this...

Zirkzee is a good player alright, but he's a player we did not need to sign. He's not a goalscorer. Stole Garna's goal v Brighton and has wasted good chances against Liverpool, Saints and now Palace.

Yes, his build-up is slick, but we need substance, not style.

I agree about Bruno finishing the game but am mindful about his replacement (Mount) being eased back.

It seems EtH is paranoid about shape and is unwilling to gamble changing it. Fair criticism there, but he set United up well and was disappointed by, yes, individual errors.

The forward line's profligacy is the real issue here.
I don't disagree with the fact we didn't need to sign him but he is here so it's a moot point. In this game, our attack was fluid with Zirkzee. Replacing him with Rashford to play in the same position at first, made absolutely no sense whatsoever. They need to play together.
Last 10 mins should have been Hojlund attacking from the right, Zirkzee playing behind/next to him and Rashford attacking from the left.

I don't disagree with the fact we didn't need to sign him but he is here so it's a moot point. In this game, our attack was fluid with Zirkzee. Replacing him with Rashford to play in the same position at first, made absolutely no sense whatsoever. They need to play together.
Our attack was 'fluid' but also profligate. Players creating good chances with a midfield controlling the game, only for those chances to be spurned when the time comes.

Forward players need to score goals and win matches.

Zirkzee is a continuation of what we already had, and some of the adulation is spoiling him.

We were the better side and should have won without a doubt, but they still had chances and wasted at least 1 sitter so on another day we could have lost the game and a better side would have punished us.

Positives for sure but still some areas where we gave up chances too easily.

Bruno is a conundrum, when he’s bad he’s really bad, wasn’t his day today.

Our attack was 'fluid' but also profligate. Players creating good chances with a midfield controlling the game, only for those chances to be spurned when the time comes.

Forward players need to score goals and win matches.

Zirkzee is a continuation of what we already had, and some of the adulation is spoiling him.
Bruh... How do you even wanna win without chances ? Yes we missed a lot but the main culprit wasn't him was he ? Besides the attacking play dying right after his substitution says everything.
What was there to gain by playing Rashford there ? The man is better with space

Bruno was awful and cost us the game.

For the rest, obviously the team set up worked well. We dominated, just were wasteful in the final third. And that was largely down to Bruno. Considering his terrible shape and Erkisen’s excellent form recently, we should play like this, at least until Hojlund can start:

————————Onana———————
Mazraoui-DeLigt-Martinez-Dalot
———Mainoo————Ugarte———
—Diallo——Eriksen——Garnacho
———————Zirkzee———————

Our control will be at least as good with Ugarte as a starter. Erikson’s creativity covers for Bruno and we will be much less wasteful

And Rashford comes on and he’s absolutely abysmal. Draw what conclusions you may.

Rashford comes on, Zirkzee and Eriksen go off so we lose any supply (with Bruno having a match where he was unable to pick a pass). We also started to play for a draw by knocking about at the back endlessly. No surprise that all three of our attackers got zero service and looked entirely ineffective in that last 20 minutes.

I'm actually surprised to see so many positive comments here, and so many ten Hag supporters. You can polish the turd they say, but let's see the what's important. The facts. 7 points out of the possible 15, and we played against only one top team. POOR. Zero goal difference, 5 goals in 5 matches. POOR. 11th position already on the table. POOR. We're a possible 8 points behind already. VERY POOR. So, according to the numbers, nothing had changed. Nothing. New season, old dump. Signing Zirkzee was unnecesarry, the guy understands the game but not a prolific scorer, we needed a guy who can score 20 because we can't rely on Rashford, it's already clear that he is in last year's form.

Decent 1st half but lets not kid ourselves here, Palace are shite, they haven’t won a single game in the PL this season

We are 4-5 starting 11 players away from being top 4, and despite ETH spending over £600m this seems to be the case each year, which is mental

His in game strategy is diabolical

Last edited:
Another 2 pts dropped , this time against a very poor palace side.

We could have been playing for another two hours and we would not have scored , we just have too many games like that to be a consistent top 4 side. The lack of scoring threat is going to kill us again this season.

Good performance but at the end of the day we've 7 points from 5 games. 8 points dropped already. Unacceptable.

I'm actually surprised to see so many positive comments here, and so many ten Hag supporters. You can polish the turd they say, but let's see the what's important. The facts. 7 points out of the possible 15, and we played against only one top team. POOR. Zero goal difference, 5 goals in 5 matches. POOR. 11th position already on the table. POOR. We're a possible 8 points behind already. VERY POOR. So, according to the numbers, nothing had changed. Nothing. New season, old dump. Signing Zirkzee was unnecesarry, the guy understands the game but not a prolific scorer, we needed a guy who can score 20 because we can't rely on Rashford, it's already clear that he is in last year's form.
Ye that’s clear isn’t it. He’s got 3 in 7 so far. Last year he got 8 in like 43 or something like that. He looks better this year than last year.

Ye that’s clear isn’t it. He’s got 3 in 7 so far. Last year he got 8 in like 43 or something like that. He looks better this year than last year.
You are counting 2 against a league 1 team

In some matches I get the feeling that these guys can't score even if their life depends on it.

The first half was an encouraging performance, I thought that was as good as we've seen in an away match under Ten Hag for complete dominance. Did get the feeling though we'd pay the price for not taking those chances. Dropped several levels after the subs to the point where the last 10 minutes or so was infuriating because they were playing as though a goal up.

I think standards are now so low that fans believe that zero goal difference and 11th place, even after just 5 games is positive.
ETH should've been fired last season. He was saved because there wasn't a viable replacement.
Realistically, I think ETH has taken us as far as he can. 4th-8th place is about where his abilities lie.
The season we finished 3rd was an anomaly where in multiple matches we got lucky - ie. we should've drawn or lost, but won.

Zero goal difference after 5 games is unacceptable and it is astounding that fans have by and large accepted this low standard.

Some good football throughout but I wasn't confident of winning the game at any time. Lots of missed chances but tbh Palace had the two best chances of the game with the Sarr & Eze misses. I can't shake the feeling that we're going nowhere fast.

60, 65 mins excellent, then the weariness set in , changes made and Rashford as a Striker did nothing, Zirkzee was imo having a good game he's a big boy and back to goal he's very good he held it up caused major issues to there CB, Eriksen was finding him there was more spaces out wide,That changed with the changes.

Game should have been over in 1st half good saves from Henderson and that's why he's there, Bruno going with the outside of his foot instead of his left left him down, that falls to Eriksen he uses his left foot. Overall it was a very good performance but the momentum we build up has had a little stall..

Not scoring when on top brought them some hope and Onana made 2 great stops or it could have been robbery.

I think standards are now so low that fans believe that zero goal difference and 11th place, even after just 5 games is positive.
ETH should've been fired last season. He was saved because there wasn't a viable replacement.
Realistically, I think ETH has taken us as far as he can. 4th-8th place is about where his abilities lie.
The season we finished 3rd was an anomaly where in multiple matches we got lucky - ie. we should've drawn or lost, but won.

Zero goal difference after 5 games is unacceptable and it is astounding that fans have by and large accepted this low standard.
Some fans may have (can’t speak for them all)… I haven’t, there’s still plenty of things that are nowhere near the standard/levels we should be aiming for … finishing chances (which means goals which usually means points), effort (especially late when we should be pushing for the win), subs (Rashford will be lucky to play next match, Bruno should have gone off)…

… but with some balance, there’s also the more stable defence (de Ligt and Maz look good buys and we didn’t overpay) and actually creating the chances in the first place. They’re both better.

So not a huge improvement but I think I can see some foundations.. just needs players and manager to (1) be more positive and (2) more consistent.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd