PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2024

It's it me or was the caf servers struggling for a moment there?

Anyway, we actually played well for long periods. Some stark reminders of last season and what we're capable of though....

They definitely were. We are BACK.

More seriously though, we made mistakes on one end to prevent us from scoring and mistakes on the defensive end to allow them to score. Can’t really be upset at the result. I’m more upset at our players and coaching for that, ridiculous on both ends.

Lots of sensationalist nonsense in here.

We’re a side that will challenge for 4th-7th depending on how the season goes. Brighton will challenge for 6th-10th depending on the same.

They were at home. We outplayed them and looked threatening lots. Should have scored more than one. Conceded a sloppy goal. That’s what happens to inconsistent sides.

No drama. We looked decent in patches. 1-1 and nobody is crying. Small margins.
Outplayed. Decent in patches. Small margins.

We're improving but we're still not the levels required.

Was at the game today, perfect angle for Garnacho’s offside goal. Couldn’t believe Zirkzee tried to touch it, once the ball went past him he should have left it. Bad decision making.
A really weird take.

Zirkzee slid in to try tap in Bruno's cross but didn't reach it. After that, Garnacho hit the ball against Zirkzee who was on the floor. He didn't "try to touch it", the ball just hit him.

A year marred with injuries. I know it wasn't just injuries and ten Hag is at fault for some of that poor form. But ten Hag isn't a bad coach and he's a smart enough guy.

Progress isn't always a steady upwards curve. We took a dive last season for sure.

I'm sure form will come. We're always poor starters because our preseason is mostly marketing and PR nonsense.
Is he? Genuinely? I'm not sure. It feels to me like he pre plans his subs. He knows who is coming off. Might change the time, but that's it. More often than not, his changes negatively impact us. Feels like he has zero feel for the flow of the game or what will change things. Same stuff every time. Oh, we need a goal, we'll put on mcpassenger and hope he gets on the end of one. We'll change one or other of the wingers. It's baffling. Sticks with rashford no matter what. Same mistakes now we're seeing in year three. Why aren't they being corrected? Still a team that basically needs the bounce of the ball to decide between winning or losing on any given week. Bar the weeks we get easily beaten, cos god knows there aren't any weeks we go and win easily.

My word the defending on both conceded goals.

Glad I couldn't watch this one.

What's really frustrating is our away record under ten Hag against teams from top half of the table. One win vs Villa back in February. Then another at Brighton in May and that game was basically meaningless. Also one at Fulham where Garnacho scored stoppage-time winner. Can't recall another. One draw at Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and then mostly defeats. You won't win most of the times at those places but you should sometimes, not 3.

Poor Zirkzee, from hero to zero.

Brighton paid 39 million for Minteh :lol:

Not having that said about him, was momentum from going for that first cross which meant he touched it. Anyway we had plenty of time after that to score second goal but no we let it affect us.

A year marred with injuries. I know it wasn't just injuries and ten Hag is at fault for some of that poor form. But ten Hag isn't a bad coach and he's a smart enough guy.

Progress isn't always a steady upwards curve. We took a dive last season for sure.

I'm sure form will come. We're always poor starters because our preseason is mostly marketing and PR nonsense.
Weak excuses, we are on a fairly consistent downwards curve.

The managers plans and in game management are a big cause of purchasing issues no matter how much some of our fans want to ignore it

I must have watched a different game, I thought we handled it quiet well

I think that's one area I'm seeing a lot of improvement so far this season. Our players seem to love playing out of the back and sort of dare people to press. However, too often when we advance pass the press we end up with the ball in the back either with Onana or a CD. We can't seem to keep advancing the ball and revert to a back pass and start over.

We have a terrible head coach. End of discussion. The squad isn’t perfect by any means, but I’ve rarely seen a manager get so little out of so much. Since the start of last season, 90% of our defeats and debacles have been self inflicted through poor coaching, poor instructions and poor decision making. The curve on this team is steadily downwards and it has been for some time. He is massively out of his depth. He’d be better off back in the Eredivisie or as an assistant somewhere. He doesn’t have the credentials, performance history, or tactical sophistication to be manager of Manchester United any longer. He is the biggest single handicap to our future success. It’s not a matter of IF he’ll be fired, it’s WHEN. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone by Christmas.

wonder how long we stick with Eth here. Until we are too far into the abyss to salvage our season? Halloween? who knows but at this stage I'm done with the whole game of pretending it's normal Ruud is there for any other reason than taking over. Do it already.

we have no tactical nous and never any pattern of how we play. enough

I’m concerned by the commentary here on how great we performed today. We defended poorly and created one genuinely good chance, the Amad goal which came off a heavy deflection. I can’t be sure if the ball would have beaten the keeper, but it counts as a goal either way and that was it for our chances on goal.

The reasons we keep throwing away points against clubs like Brighton — a midtable club not a top four contender — are hard to pin down. But today was not a performance where we could say “more of that and we’ll qualify for the CL”. Was it good enough to come out with the jammy win? Yes, but it was also poor enough to open the door to Brighton to take all three points they deserved.

Are there signs of progress? Yes, but it’s too little and soon to be one too late as drift down into midtable status for another season.

What really depresses me is the chaos to which we sank in the latter part of the game. How many late goals did we concede last year? How many to come in this season? I n the first half we looked good, mostly in control, though not making many chances and caught out in defence on Brighton's one decent attack. Second half Zirkzee for Mount was presumably meant to rectify things up front, but we lost the interplay between Mount and Bruno that was providing a lot of that control. And we tired. And tired more, until we were ragged and out of shape. Horrible luck for the offside goal, yes. But the worst is that we just can't close out games.

I’m concerned by the commentary here on how great we performed today. We defended poorly and created one genuinely good chance, the Amad goal which came off a heavy deflection. I can’t be sure if the ball would have beaten the keeper, but it counts as a goal either way and that was it for our chances on goal.

The reasons we keep throwing away points against clubs like Brighton — a midtable club not a top four contender — are hard to pin down. But today was not a performance where we could say “more of that and we’ll qualify for the CL”. Was it good enough to come out with the jammy win? Yes, but it was also poor enough to open the door to Brighton to take all three points they deserved.

Are there signs of progress? Yes, but it’s too little and soon to be one too late as drift down into midtable status for another season.
Plus the Garnacho chance that was properly disallowed for offside.

I'm supremely disappointed losing that considering the offside.goal, but it really isn't the end of the world considering. We need more attacking options though for the rest of the season.

Brighton will take.points of plenty of teams at home this season.

There’s were good patches but it looks like we will suffer the same problems as last season - sitting deep and trying to play counter attacking football whilst creating little and at the same time looking wide open to be countered ourselves.

We have no ability to control a game or score enough goals to put a game to bed and repeatedly switch off for second phases of the opponents attack so the opposition will always be in the game.

Ten Hag will always be 2-3 games away from the sack in the minds of the media but he will contribute to this himself if he keeps picking the likes of Rashford and Casemiro.

Martinez is the elephant in the room and has been shite so far; I can only assume he’s still pissed from the Copa.
Like Scholes said during the week, we don’t look after the ball and we try to force everything meaning the game ends up like something reminiscent of a basketball game.

I really dislike the negative football that ETH peaches. Obviously all players were told to play it safe, you will see the wingers passing the ball backside instead of taking on their defender. When we overload of the right, nobody makes a effort to hit the ball over to the left and vice-versus. Mainoo is just a ball carrying midfield, it is due to coaching. How I wish there is a Scholes in this squad? Isn't there any players with ability to pass in the squad? Perhaps Bruno but he is playing as a false nine so he can't get to the end of anything as he is too deep in midfield. With 1 week before the transfer window shut, there is hardly nothing we can do. A player like Ugarte will only helps us to win back more balls and shore up our defense but we will continue to struggle to unlock any defense. Good luck to United with ETH leading the charge. I predict another hopeless season with the bald man in-charge.

Plus the Garnacho chance that was properly disallowed for offside.

There also was the Dalot to Amad chance. That should go in at least 50% of the time. Casemiro had a couple of good looks. We had enough chances for 2 or 3 goals.

Why do we rely so much on the press, yes it important but not to this extent. It's because it covers for the fact that we can't really impose ourselves in midfield. Casemiro plays some clever passes but he can't control the tempo of play, it's detrimental to us being an assertive side.

I'm supremely disappointed losing that considering the offside.goal, but it really isn't the end of the world considering. We need more attacking options though for the rest of the season.

Brighton will take.points of plenty of teams at home this season.
FFS

we have Garna, Amad, Rashford (even out of form), Hojlund (he wont be injured forever), Zirkzee, Antony, maybe even Sancho - and you think Brighton beat us because we don't have attacking options? Who the feck do they have that is better in attack?

How about we have been fecking around with signing DMF for months and now 19yo Mainoo has to cover for Casemiro defensively for 90 minites, getting completely exhausted by minute 70? Or that we have no left back? Or that Ten Hag decided to start Maguire who cost us first goal?

We are not talkiny what we need to win the league here, we are talking about why are we still getting beat by fecking Brighton and its inexperienced manager

Much as I want Erik to succeed, this game is on him and his idiotic stubborn fixations. It is also on INEOS for not filling glaring holes in midfield and LB on time

Simple as that

I thought I was over the period of my life where United results could ruin my day, but then this arsehole of a game can't along and absolutely did feckin ruined my day this did.

I think it's the fact that we should have won, but then deservedly lost because we're a bunch of inept morons that does it.

I thought I was over the period of my life where United results could ruin my day, but then this arsehole of a game can't along and absolutely did feckin ruined my day this did.

I think it's the fact that we should have won, but then deservedly lost because we're a bunch of inept morons that does it.
They always sting more at the start of the season.

You wait so long for the season to come back, and then when you realise what is ahead it makes it hurt that bit deeper.

We have a terrible head coach. End of discussion. The squad isn’t perfect by any means, but I’ve rarely seen a manager get so little out of so much. Since the start of last season, 90% of our defeats and debacles have been self inflicted through poor coaching, poor instructions and poor decision making. The curve on this team is steadily downwards and it has been for some time. He is massively out of his depth. He’d be better off back in the Eredivisie or as an assistant somewhere. He doesn’t have the credentials, performance history, or tactical sophistication to be manager of Manchester United any longer. He is the biggest single handicap to our future success. It’s not a matter of IF he’ll be fired, it’s WHEN. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone by Christmas.
Totally agree! What part of allowing either the goal keeper or the central defenders of holding the ball at the back doesn't work in the EPL. Doesn't he realise that the longer you hold up play the more time it gives the opposition to re-organise behind the ball? Problem number 2: it is very obvious that Rashford is finished as a Man Utd player - no desire or willingness to get involved - he wouldn't even be ale to beat my 8 year old grandson on a one to one at the moment! Problem 3: Fernandes needs to go! Problem 4: Scott McTomminy needs to go! (unfortunately he will be going to my team Napoli , simply because Conte has fallen in love with him) Problem 5: Onana needs to go! Bring in Ange Postecoglou and Man Utd will be back to the attacking style we all fell in love with under Fergie.

We do look worse when mount comes off he gives us energy and closes players down. The problem with him and Bruno in there we lack a striker. Casemiro and mainoo is not a good combination if they require mount and Bruno to keep us from being over ran in midfield.

Yeah we should be signing someone who can allow us to play the same way whether Mount is on the pitch or not. Unfortunately that doesn't look to be the plan so will now have to change system if he's out injured as suggested

I think that's one area I'm seeing a lot of improvement so far this season. Our players seem to love playing out of the back and sort of dare people to press. However, too often when we advance pass the press we end up with the ball in the back either with Onana or a CD. We can't seem to keep advancing the ball and revert to a back pass and start over.

Yea we still don’t have the players to retain possession and play penetrating passes in the final third to create great chances

From the other side of the world , still amazed at the latitude given to Rashford who hasn’t deserved a place in the side for 12 months, and still the muppets gave him a new contract.

ETH just doesn’t have a clue how to structure this team, his subs are becoming tediously poor ,, why take off players who have defended for the match with little real issue and replace them with players who struggle most games. Can’t understand playing a false 9 when you need to score more than one goal a game, been said before, this is not the Eredevise it’s the EPL and it’s nuts to defend your way through a game and expect to win . Teams in the EPL always stretch you and being purely counterattacking is so yesterday.

If ETH and his tactics are still in place at Christmas, then it’s goodnight Irene to any chance of top 6.

What really scares me that I see some fans here being positive about the performance yesterday. Woooow. Brighton actually played better football, even without the injured Evan Ferguson they had more shots, better momentum, overall they looked a lot more organised. INEOS have a week to sign at least two top class players (a striker capable of at least 20 goals in one season and a midfielder), if it won't happen (it won't I'm pretty sure) United will finish outside the top four. For now I predict 7th place.

Ok.

These "this is on X" posts are so fecking tedious and moronic.
You tell me that and your next post 7 minutes later is "It's just so obvious that some refs have different standards when it comes to us. Pawson is definitely one of them. Gave Brighton everything, and only gave us anything when he had to. Fecking dickhead."

Blame the referee. He's out to get us. Never heard it before.

All referee decisions are controlled during the game and VAR intervenes if he makes an obvious mistake. Ten Hag's decisions are not quality controlled. In fact, I think VAR should have intervened and cancelled his substitutions for being clear and obvious mistakes.

Brailsford talks about 1% improvements all the time, well here is an obvious chance at improving match management 20%. Get on it.

Just watched MoTD for the analysis and they've finally pointed out what I've been saying for at least two seasons: our movement off the ball is terrible; either there is none or we are caught offside because we go too early...

Looking at their winner again: part of a goalkeeper's job is to marshall his defence. He should have been yelling at players to pick up at the back post. You would have been able to hear Peter Schmeichel shouting from Manchester.

Another horrid stat on MoTD: we haven't won both of our two opening PL games since Jose left...

Lots of sensationalist nonsense in here.

We’re a side that will challenge for 4th-7th depending on how the season goes. Brighton will challenge for 6th-10th depending on the same.

They were at home. We outplayed them and looked threatening lots. Should have scored more than one. Conceded a sloppy goal. That’s what happens to inconsistent sides.

No drama. We looked decent in patches. 1-1 and nobody is crying. Small margins.
how is having two shots on target outplaying anyone?

After some time to reflect the result feels very harsh and 1-1 was probably a fair result.

That Garnacho disallowed goal was pure misfortune and the goals we conceded were individual mistakes that other teams probably get away with.

It feels like last season where we looked OK against spurs for a while and didn't get a penalty decision. Then the same against Arsenal where Garnacho was arguably ruled offside when he wasn't.

These small things add up, it doesn't mean we are perfect but you get these small victories and you build a winning habit while everyone is getting up to match speed.
that Arsenal game still annoys me! Deserved to win that, and sometimes I think it could have changed our whole season. But in reality we never pushed on from good results

Is he? Genuinely? I'm not sure. It feels to me like he pre plans his subs. He knows who is coming off. Might change the time, but that's it. More often than not, his changes negatively impact us. Feels like he has zero feel for the flow of the game or what will change things. Same stuff every time. Oh, we need a goal, we'll put on mcpassenger and hope he gets on the end of one. We'll change one or other of the wingers. It's baffling. Sticks with rashford no matter what. Same mistakes now we're seeing in year three. Why aren't they being corrected? Still a team that basically needs the bounce of the ball to decide between winning or losing on any given week. Bar the weeks we get easily beaten, cos god knows there aren't any weeks we go and win easily.
I was a huge supporter of appointing him but his comment that if sacked he'd "go and win trophies elsewhere" left me feeling: really? OK, go and prove it. I just don't see any tactics or plans and he never seems to adapt to different opponents: it's the same time and time again

Nope. I didn’t mean Mount was a Pirlo type 6, think of him more as Rodri in a 10 position but with more legs. keeps things ticking. Further up pitch 99% of the time it’s still about making the pass that does not lose the ball or ruin the move, something Fernandes is not the best at, and then also occasionally spotting the run in front or besides you, something fernandes isn’t good at.

Granted Fernandes is great at the spectacular shot or pass, but the issue is he spends all match trying to do it. Over the season you wonder if the amount of times it loses possession is worth the few times he succeeds.

"The few times he succeeds"? The man created more chances than any other player in the PL last season, on a team that finished 8th. He is the core of our attack. No other United attacker is even in that conversation. The notion that you could tinker with other options from this squad and maybe gain more than you lose is just clueless.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 228 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd