PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2024

Mount can not control football matches. The closest kind of midfielder we have for that is Mainoo and even then he's better up the pitch.
Nope. I didn’t mean Mount was a Pirlo type 6, think of him more as Rodri in a 10 position but with more legs. keeps things ticking. Further up pitch 99% of the time it’s still about making the pass that does not lose the ball or ruin the move, something Fernandes is not the best at, and then also occasionally spotting the run in front or besides you, something fernandes isn’t good at.

Granted Fernandes is great at the spectacular shot or pass, but the issue is he spends all match trying to do it. Over the season you wonder if the amount of times it loses possession is worth the few times he succeeds.

When owners and the majority want Ten Hag to stay on, this is what we'll get. He's incapable of controlling any game. The opposition team is literally as likely to score as we are. Players who haven't been up to it for a long time like Maguire and Rashford keep letting us down. Started both games without a central striker.

1. Our keeper is ropey
2. Lots of defensive mistakes
3. Lack of control in midfield
4. Lack of a goal scorer

It's just poor all around. I think we'll slightly improve from last year but 5th/6th with maybe a slight positive goal difference.
Totally agree however with the caveat no one currently playing for United actually scares the opposing teams, Bruno maybe but he’s going to decline now he’s signed a new contract, standard United.

Even under Ole Cavani, Greenwood, 22/24 year old Rashford, Pogba, Bruno all scared their opponent.

Under Jose ; Zlatan, Lukaku, Pogba, Herrera, Mykhitarayan, Matic, all had respect and scared the opponents especially in the season we got 81 points.

Under ETH ; opposing teams can’t wait to play this bunch of softies, they know as soon as they go a goal down they will switch off and just want to go through the motions as individuals without anyone to rally the team, they also know this team are at its most vulnerable from the 85th to 95th minute!

Starting with the same line-up as last time is weirdly emblematic of the foundational issues.

Rashford need binned.
If we can't beat this level of competition, we're not competing for the league. Not this season or the next.
Still early but I don't see ETH lasting past the new year.
Competing for the league? We came 8th last year and our utter glass ceiling is 4th and that looks quite optimistic right now

I thought we played quite well, certainly didn’t deserve to lose that today but Rashford seems like a passenger at the minute and needs dropping.

Then it’s not bad luck but serious neglect from the coaching team, Ruud is as a master at bending his run and beating the offside rule, today we got caught out on too many occasions and young Players like Garnaucho and Amad must learn, there’s no excuse for Rashford, he needs to improve rapidly or be shipped out.

Zirkzee could do nothing about the touch but he found Pl pace different today. We need to get players like Antony out the club or tell him he won’t feature in any 20 man squad this season so find a new club, he’s the worst signing in PL history and at United we’ve had probably 8 out of the top 10!
Trouble with that is due to psr we’d be taking a massive book loss on Antony, and we can’t even afford to sign Ugarte at the moment without selling someone. It would take an offer of 50m+ for us to break even I think.

It's also frustrating how fecking unlucky this team is. Two offside goals, one that needed a microscope to determine it and another where a player slides on wet grass and can't avoid touching the ball that was going in regardless. While it's clear that there are still big problems with the team, a never-ending cavalcade of unrealistically bad luck is a big part of why everything always goes wrong.

I've never seen a team so cursed with injuries, fluke accidents, microscopic offsides, conceding off deflections, red cards and penalties against it for things that absolutely nobody else gets penalized for, stonewall penalties denied many times every season, parasitic owners bleeding the club dry, players turning out to be sociopaths, and whatever else. Nothing is ever allowed to go well. These things are pure, unadulterated misfortune, and this club has it in limitless supply.

If football was a game of craps, United would be rolling 1s on every die.

I only finished watching it. Was working earlier. Cant complain about the result, thought with 15 mins to go that 2-1 to either team or a draw would all be fair results and no one could complain much. Defending on the 2nd phase of a set piece was rubbish, which isn't new and cost us at the end.
Performance would be a bigger focus for me after that. Few weak performances, few naive at times performances. Bit rusty and awkward and just looked like it was hard work. Few nearly great goals and chances but not sure i should be expecting this forward line to be clinical and consistent.
Its going to be a long season and I feel like all of our games are going to be decided on really fine margins. Think we just need to take a few punches and keep moving at times. Disappointing for a slip up this early but its a tough fixture.
I dont love playing mid tables teams right at the start of the season, they have less issues with internationals coming back late and self destructive tours to australia or wherever. Feels like they tend to hit the ground running better than we do at least.

We were the better team for most of the first half and should have been ahead at HT. However, we still don't have the creativity nor firepower to press home that advantage. Pretty shit second half. Brighton in control until we scored on the counter. Didn't offer much after that, but obv v unlucky for the goal to not stand. Can't blame Nacho or Zirkzee for that - they only had a split second to react. Brighton looked more composed the longer the game went on.

Some positives in our first half possession and pressing. Better than much of what we saw last year. Reckon has our second goal stood, we would have sat back and Brighton would have equalised.

Likely to get done over by Liverpool next.

EDIT: I still don't want to see Rashford starting for us. Contributes nothing for a supposed attacking player.

I thought we played quite well, certainly didn’t deserve to lose that today but Rashford seems like a passenger at the minute and needs dropping.

Man, this could literally be from any game from the past 2 seasons

We've been poor for more than a year, how's that for perspective.

A year marred with injuries. I know it wasn't just injuries and ten Hag is at fault for some of that poor form. But ten Hag isn't a bad coach and he's a smart enough guy.

Progress isn't always a steady upwards curve. We took a dive last season for sure.

I'm sure form will come. We're always poor starters because our preseason is mostly marketing and PR nonsense.

Totally agree however with the caveat no one currently playing for United actually scares the opposing teams, Bruno maybe but he’s going to decline now he’s signed a new contract, standard United.

Even under Ole Cavani, Greenwood, 22/24 year old Rashford, Pogba, Bruno all scared their opponent.

Under Jose ; Zlatan, Lukaku, Pogba, Herrera, Mykhitarayan, Matic, all had respect and scared the opponents especially in the season we got 81 points.

Under ETH ; opposing teams can’t wait to play this bunch of softies, they know as soon as they go a goal down they will switch off and just want to go through the motions as individuals without anyone to rally the team, they also know this team are at its most vulnerable from the 85th to 95th minute

ETH vs Slot is a mismatch already, Slot will out-tactic him and Jota, Salah and Co will be clinical while we are not
at the moment a duck cooked in plum sauce can out-tactic him.... we don't have any tactics

When owners and the majority want Ten Hag to stay on, this is what we'll get. He's incapable of controlling any game. The opposition team is literally as likely to score as we are. Players who haven't been up to it for a long time like Maguire and Rashford keep letting us down. Started both games without a central striker.

1. Our keeper is ropey
2. Lots of defensive mistakes
3. Lack of control in midfield
4. Lack of a goal scorer

It's just poor all around. I think we'll slightly improve from last year but 5th/6th with maybe a slight positive goal difference.
I got slaughtered on here for saying pretty much this 10-12 days ago (maybe with the odd silly explitive and more angry so not as well voiced

No real change from last season: uninspiring win followed by utter dross. wrong starting XI, poor substitutions, only two shots on target and no movement off the ball. No tactics, no plan and certainly no revolution.

Awful - and this is rewarded with an extended contract. Laughable. As for Manchester United not having a no.9... it's a disgrace.

From the moment they said 7 minutes injury time (no idea where they dreamt that up), I knew we would concede

We have been crying for a DLP since Carrick left, if we want to control games we need a top class DLP. Given we can't afford one, we have to sign Ugarte who will at least help us win the ball back and protect the back 4.

The positive I've seen so far this season is the passing. Seems more fluid, getting the ball up the pitch easier. More in control. However then the ball usually gets passed all the way back to Onana. Besides his goal, Zirkzee has done feck all. Charlie Sheen had a pretty good game up until his brain dead defending on the first goal. What does Onana bring to the team?

That Bruno sub was laughable. ETH apparently thinks a McT is the new Ole. Everything went to shit after that. We lost the pressing after the Mount sub. Winable game thrown in the shitter with mind boggling defending.

The positive I've seen so far this season is the passing. Seems more fluid, getting the ball up the pitch easier. More in control. However then the ball usually gets passed all the way back to Onana. Besides his goal, Zirkzee has done feck all. Charlie Sheen had a pretty good game up until his brain dead defending on the first goal. What does Onana bring to the team?

That Bruno sub was laughable. ETH apparently thinks a McT is the new Ole. Everything went to shit after that. We lost the pressing after the Mount sub. Winable game thrown in the shitter with mind boggling defending.
We are probably the most direct team in the pl. We barely move the ball around and if we even look like we have an attack, everyone runs to goal. It's infuriating.

After some time to reflect the result feels very harsh and 1-1 was probably a fair result.

That Garnacho disallowed goal was pure misfortune and the goals we conceded were individual mistakes that other teams probably get away with.

It feels like last season where we looked OK against spurs for a while and didn't get a penalty decision. Then the same against Arsenal where Garnacho was arguably ruled offside when he wasn't.

These small things add up, it doesn't mean we are perfect but you get these small victories and you build a winning habit while everyone is getting up to match speed.

Feels like we could and should have scored 5-6 goals so far this season. Incredible luck.
We are defending better as a team but the brainfarts in our box will kill us.
I know the feeling is not great now but i feel we are playing better generally. Just a few things to iron out..

There was no need to make any subs at the time as we'd juat scored and had the momentum. If we'd ended up back under pressure or too open 10 minutes later thwn it would have made more sense but even then, Garnacho doesn't look comfortable on the left, and we already had a right back pretending to be a left back there, and Bruno was still getting on the press which Mctominay juat doesn't do nearly as well from the front. It was a recipe for trouble as could be clearly seen by Brighton repeatedly just running up thatcside of the pitch and outnumbered us the second we made the subs. I mean what's not to get I thought it was absolutely clear as day? It was a collosally counter productive thing to do.

I also don't get why we needed to change anything at half time. We were largely controlling the game and playing well and were only 1 goal down. We'd obviously trained to play that system all week and then abandoned it at half time and looked nowhere near as coherent or organised.

And whether or not starting Maguire is right, subbing your most experienced CB for someone who's played about 8 minutes for the club, late in a game when under increasing pressure, is asking for trouble. What was the purpose of this sub? It was a straight swap at the point in the game where actually you'd probably bring Maguire on rather than take him off.

ETH constantly concerns me with his subs and last season more often than not with his system/starting 11, because it's like what is and isn't working is completely irrelevant to him.

You don't see good or well managed teams pratting about with subs or systems when they are on top or playing well in a game. They wait until there is a problem or weakness they can target and then change to suit. We almost never do this. More frequently we use game management to create problems that needn't be there.

I mean our subs were almost a mirror of the last game. As if the thinking is"it somehow worked last time so let's just ignore that it's a completely different game against a completely different opponent and bring on the same players again"
Mount had an issue, that is why they made changes at half time.

Garnacho is more comfortable off the left it’s where he played to get himself in to the first team and only plays off the right to accommodate Rashford.

I generally don’t see what the issue with the subs are. DeLigt before long will be the starting CB and he needs to be slowly added to get game time and he didn’t make any mistakes when he came on. So not sure what the issue with that was. Maguire has also been nursing an injury so could say he is protecting that but given the performances I might have been more inclined to take Martinez off instead of Maguire.

I just really disagree,a massive error from Cas and Zirk running out too soon when there was still danger caused the 2nd goal.

Was at the game today, perfect angle for Garnacho’s offside goal. Couldn’t believe Zirkzee tried to touch it, once the ball went past him he should have left it. Bad decision making.

I’ve seen no improvement from last season. That could have been any game from last year. We don’t do enough with the ball. Sit back and play the ball around the back 4 waiting for the opponent to score, then we get into gear.

Just don’t think Ten Hag has it. His team selection is questionable, starting with no striker, Mount in a midfield 3. 4 of the back 5 are former Ajax players when De Ligt came on. It’s his team now so there can be no excuses. If we continue to play like we have I see him gone by Christmas and rightly so. Problem is we have a built an Ajax B team so we are in the exact same position as before. A squad of players built for one manager.

Mount had an issue, that is why they made changes at half time.

Garnacho is more comfortable off the left it’s where he played to get himself in to the first team and only plays off the right to accommodate Rashford.

I generally don’t see what the issue with the subs are. DeLigt before long will be the starting CB and he needs to be slowly added to get game time and he didn’t make any mistakes when he came on. So not sure what the issue with that was. Maguire has also been nursing an injury so could say he is protecting that but given the performances I might have been more inclined to take Martinez off instead of Maguire.

I just really disagree,a massive error from Cas and Zirk running out too soon when there was still danger caused the 2nd goal.

Zirk?

Why is it that when we lose, it's like you can't get away from football. It pops up everywhere, adverts in TV show intervals, news updates, Youtube feeds, everywhere!

Anyways, I think we have improved from last season. We're restricting chances on our goal a lot better and we're creating chances, however we still have these spells of chaos in every half.

Why is it that when we lose, it's like you can't get away from football. It pops up everywhere, adverts in TV show intervals, news updates, Youtube feeds, everywhere!

Anyways, I think we have improved from last season. We're restricting chances on our goal a lot better and we're creating chances, however we still have these spells of chaos in every half.
As long as by restricting chances it doesn't just mean other teams score from less chances. We need to be taking our own chances. That is our problem, we try to negate the other team instead of giving them something to worry about with us.

And every team u want to lose, fecking wins.

As long as by restricting chances it doesn't just mean other teams score from less chances. We need to be taking our own chances. That is our problem, we try to negate the other team instead of giving them something to worry about with us.
Agreed, we’ve gone so far into our shell after years of hammerings that we look scared to got all out attack cause we’ll invariably concede on a counter. We played quick positive football about 3 or 4 times and caused them problems every time.

We are definitely playing better than last season already, I think it's unfair to suggest otherwise. The pressing is on another level and we are passing the ball better in tight spaces, as well as getting into dangerous positions in the final 3rd. I think my biggest issue is that I can't see where the goals are coming from. It's already looking nailed on for another low (if not negative) goal difference at the end of the season. It's such a strange feeling because there's so much talent on paper - it just doesn't translate.

Very disappointed with the result today. The performance didn't resemble us last season, but the way we lost the game sure did.

We are definitely playing better than last season already, I think it's unfair to suggest otherwise. The pressing is on another level and we are passing the ball better in tight spaces, as well as getting into dangerous positions in the final 3rd. I think my biggest issue is that I can't see where the goals are coming from. It's already looking nailed on for another low (if not negative) goal difference at the end of the season. It's such a strange feeling because there's so much talent on paper - it just doesn't translate.

Very disappointed with the result today. The performance didn't resemble us last season, but the way we lost the game sure did.
I think our pressing is our biggest improvement by far, but we are heavily relying on it.

The club thought Rashford was going to do the scoring after such a good season and hence the stupid contract. Instead he is gone backwards at a rate of knots.

Nope. I didn’t mean Mount was a Pirlo type 6, think of him more as Rodri in a 10 position but with more legs. keeps things ticking. Further up pitch 99% of the time it’s still about making the pass that does not lose the ball or ruin the move, something Fernandes is not the best at, and then also occasionally spotting the run in front or besides you, something fernandes isn’t good at.

Granted Fernandes is great at the spectacular shot or pass, but the issue is he spends all match trying to do it. Over the season you wonder if the amount of times it loses possession is worth the few times he succeeds.
Agree with what you say about Fernandes. Not a player who wins you trophies. He makes teams worse because he can only play chaos ball.

Unfortunately missed this game as I'm away from home. Thought this would be a difficult game, as it's a typical team that ETH doesn't do well against. Still have major concerns over our goalscoring and where they're going to come from. We seem to be thinking that it'll spread amongst Hojlund, Bruno, Rashford, Amad, Garnacho, Zirkzee. I just can't see that being enough for us this season, especially when we give away goals so cheaply.

I'll catch the highlights tonight on Match of the Day.

Lots of sensationalist nonsense in here.

We’re a side that will challenge for 4th-7th depending on how the season goes. Brighton will challenge for 6th-10th depending on the same.

They were at home. We outplayed them and looked threatening lots. Should have scored more than one. Conceded a sloppy goal. That’s what happens to inconsistent sides.

No drama. We looked decent in patches. 1-1 and nobody is crying. Small margins.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 228 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd