PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 September 2023

Saying these players will never change and a manager won’t sort it or blaming the glazers, 6 of that starting line up was players ten hag has brought in. Surely that’s enough to change a so called culture of laziness. We’ve looked a mess for months

Same crap different manager, like seriously what has changed the past year, still horrible at the back and at the front with not much in the middle, I honestly don't see how they can get out of this rut they are in, big changes needed from top to bottom at the club, until that happens days like this will continue to happen!!!!!

This is what I feared was gonna happen against Arsenal. Eriksen-Casemiro midfield was outdated last season, never mind this one. Brighton kept it simple and our midfield got overrun as expected. I was still a bit positive after the loss against Arsenal, but this one is thoroughly deserved.

I'm getting to that numb feeling I had during the worst of Ole or Mourinho's tenures. The same problems over and over again from the same players. I'm tired of seeing Eriksen be 2 yards off where he needs to be. I'm tired of Casemiro not being able to keep up with his man. I'm tired of Rashford making the same dumb decisions again and again. I'm tired of players like Bruno and McT playing in positions where they have no idea what to do. I'm tired of our passing, even basic 10 yard ones, being hit with bad direction and power after taking 3 touches instead of one. The worst of all, I'm tired of United being outworked by every single team in the league.

And that's just on the field. The amount of issues the club has all around it, starting from those greedy motherfeckers at the top, it just saps my will. I was genuinely happier during the break when United weren't playing. That makes me so sad to write.

How can this keep going on season after season, manager after manager? I honestly believe the club is cursed at this point and players turn to shit once they come here.

Yeah. Why would the like of Maguire, McTom, Martial, and Sancho leave? A new manager coming in, and it's all back to "it's a clean slate, everyone will be given a chance".

Question - can anyone name a player that is physically fit and somehow in form. (I am not talking about top form)

I can only identify Dalot, and perhaps Bruno although he was ineffective in his new position.

Brighton are a very good team and clearly we are very mediocre.
Its pointless having a high pressing team if the opponent can beat the press and carve through us like a hot knife through butter.
our defending as a team is shocking, Lindelof and Martinez were poor today. Martinez looks half the player he was last year.
Offensively we missed Either Anthony or Sancho on the right wing.
ETH should have played Pellestri instead of forcing square pegs in round holes again just because of seniority.

The plus side Hojlund looks a very good player, his substitution was a mystery but maybe we will find out later.

Reguilón, Dalot, Hannibal, Højlund were good. Eriksen first half was good. Everyone else substandard to poor.

The worrying aspect is how we got unmanned tactically. Play a midfield diamond (more or less), giving them the width, and then don’t push fullbacks up to engage them. That might work if we had our first choice players in midfield, but we didn’t, so we couldn’t control the game nor create decent chances. Blindly thumping the ball at goal from distance is a shit tactic.

Beyond that, our attackers were selfish, our mids inaccurate with forward passing, and our defense was fooled 3 times in almost the same way.

Poor all around.

Last edited:
Missed the game because of a funeral, didn't know that you guys were at one too.

Unusual formation and a few nervous players. The injury crisis and all the distractions off the pitch taking their toll. It's frustrating because we're all craving for better quality games.

Some bright spots, even now. Reguilon was unexpectedly classy, Hojlund showed he's up for it and Hannibal scored a screamer.

Not fashionable but I wish we had sign grob and welbeck on the cheap this summer, two underrated players

The first 2 goals was conceded under Eriksen’s watch. We actually build up well in the first part of the game just like the Tottenham game and let in easy goals in the transition play. Our midfield seems to be so bad at making defensive decision and let go of their man easily

That team got paid roughly £1.5m combined for that game.

Sack the fecking lot of them!

Team needs burning to the ground and a full rebuild. What was it Rangnick said - needing heart surgery…

How can you rebuild when we have brought in like 10 players in the last 2 summers? Rebuild the current re-build?

Anyone else numb? I don't even really care anymore.

You do get used to losing. I think this was the first time in my football following life that I have actively enjoyed the fact there's an international break and I'm free to do other things instead of watching football or having to care about what United are doing.

Someone on match day thread said that Ole didnt know what he want unlike ETH who knows what he want, care to explain to us what ETH wants to do with this team? i'm not defending Ole i think he's rightfully sacked and should've never gotten the permanent job in the first place but for heaven sake saying Ole didnt know what he want to build is just false cause we all know that he wanted to build a counter attacking football team and that's why we were the best counter attacking football team in england under him, but what about ETH? can you see what he's trying to build here? Cause at the moment i'm totally lost. We are not possesion based team, we are not pressing based team, we are not counter-attacking team either, after 1 year we look like a disjointed team.

There's something seriously wrong with this football club, no matter who we bring through the door, after a year or two they look a shadow of themselves.

Then a youngster comes on and looks up for the fight, in this instance it's Hannibal again after looking like a bright spot under Rangnick.

We're stuck on loop.

My 10 year old lad said why doesn't everyone press like hannibal and while there has to be a team press (not just pressing for press sake) he's right. More high energy is needed. Too many players jogging around not bothering to shut players down.

It’s Brighton - we were underdogs in this game and if you didn’t think so going in then you were only setting yourself up for disappointment.
The managers second year, £450 mil spent and a starting eleven including 6 players he’s brought in and were underdogs at home to Brighton. Something not right there

Anyone else numb? I don't even really care anymore.
It was almost expected which is insane really. We have like 10x the resources of Brighton.

I don’t honestly know if Ten Hag is a world class manager. As a personality he is brilliant but doesn’t seem the players buy into his regime at this level.

His football can be very dull and certainly nothing groundbreaking on the field.

I thought in the first half we have nullified Brightons game plan quite well. Still went behind due to a very soft goal but all in all, it was an even half. 2nd half we lost the plot I thought, Brighton was so comfortable on the ball it is astonishing. Think we suffered because our center was so immobile and lacklustre. Rashford should have been hooked way earlier, offers nothing these days.

Real bogey opponent.
Couple of injuries.
A few big issues with player behaviour.
Obviously got pre season wrong.
Didn't improve the squad at all arguably.

Sigh
See you midweek for a bit of a freebie.

Amrabat needs to be one hell of an impact signing for us.

Season is already gone. We're in a battle for fifth at this point and even that is a stretch when you consider we haven't even played City, Liverpool yet.

We don't have the squad to compete. When our first 11 are fit and firing we can give teams again but the drop off man for man is astounding.

Today...
We played with Spurs 3rd choice LB.
A midfielder we wanted to sell in the summer, with Fulham being his most solid option.
Eriksen in CM who can't run or play the position at all.
Our captain and number 10 playing out of position.

It's silly we have gone in to yet another season so undercooked. They don't care, United is just a money making scheme for the owners, board and even players.
5th?? Mate, we’ll be lucky to finish in the top half.

Only bright thing to see is Glazer to see this is a sinking ship and bail. That's only thing that I hope for. Every manager suffer in season 2, I think Erik is no exception and by next season, he would be sack with a new manager onboard. The new guy will start cleansing the squad with players like Antony, Martinez, Onana, Casemiro, Eriksen and etc. Repeat and rinses, same old story and nothing changes. I think Erik can create a miracle, I am so wrong.

Where’s the ”beginning of season” squad who told every critic they were plastic fans? It’s only been one more game since.

Turns out a mediocre left back like Reguilon is actually miles better than most of our players at getting past a man and has more heart and fight too

Nothing new.

Played well in patches.
Bad decision making in final third.
Refereeing decisions not in our favour.
Lots of passes straight to opponents.
Can’t press effectively.

Nothing new at all.

That sucked so hard it should come with an age rating. I get that Brighton are a much better side than they have historically been, but thats no excuse for the performance put in today. Feels like we've gone drastically backwards yet again.

Appalling. The potential to get something out the game was there but starting McTominay meant we were playing with 10 men. The match was over when Welbeck scored while McTominay was casually watching three yards behind.

We badly need a younger more functional midfield (and one that does something with the ball, unlike Mount). Szoboslai would've been pefect.

But we badly, badly need a RW too. All our play goes through the left with Marcus. We have almost nothing on the other side, even with Antony. The story of the last ten years really. None of our managers in that period have come close to giving us an option on that side, aside from with Greenwood who came through the academy.

Is it tactics? personal?, coach? or something above then the 3?. i think each can come to their own valution since all 3 have been chopped, changed anew and yet the result remains the same. (Top 4 and league isnt an achivement its just fire fighting; putting a fire that pop out while the actual embers still burining bright and pops come another fire at another location.)

Beaten by a much better coached team while far too many of our players are well off their games. Hard to find any positives and EtH made some strange decisions on both the starting 11 and the subs. Doesn't bode well for Wednesday night.

Appalling. The potential to get something out the game was there but starting McTominay meant we were playing with 10 men. The match was over when Welbeck scored while McTominay was casually watching three yards behind.

That's what I thought. Can anyone show McTominay state? I can't understand why he wasn't substituted earlier???! Erik lost the plot? Braindead? So painful to watch.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 245 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:1 Brighton
  • 10% Man Utd 3:1 Brighton