PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 September 2023

The word embarrassing gets thrown around this board a lot and it generally annoys me because it's usually over some nonsense transfer story

Today however was absolutely embarrassing. Humbling even. Reckon Brighton could've took 2 players off and still ran rings around us in that 2nd half. Was like watching kids trying to play against grown adults.

To the 'we're an awfully coached team' thread

Exactly this. Good job, 15 good minutes with the system. Brighton adjusted. We never adjusted. That was the single problem today.

Some people actually thought we had a chance?

Of course we had a chance, we had opportunities which weren't taken, but the main difference I can see between Brighton and Manchester United, is that one team played like a team, with every player knowing their job, having a game plan and sticking to it, and, most importantly, had a burning desire to run, tackle, cover and generally fight for everything, whilst the other team had many players who were jogging around, losing runners, being unaware of other players around them, and generally not giving a toss as, possibly, their pay packet will still be more than the players of the team who had just beaten them.
Just watching the first goal, Casemiro made an effort to get back, but was in no man's land, and McTominay jogged back from the half way line and still was within a few yards of Wellbeck when he scored, a little bit more effort then would have certainly stopped Wellbeck getting a free shot at goal.
I honestly don't know what's going on with the club as a whole, but firstly the glazers have to go, then we need to re-evaluate every position in the club, and endeavour to get the right person in the right position.
As with the playing side, many of the signings in the last 12 months or so have been suspect, not sure if the managers are purely responsible, but Varane, although a terrific defender on his day, will spend much of his time in the injury room, Sancho was never worth what we paid, and it was damning, to me, that no other club appeared interested in signing him, and Southgate, whatever you think of him as a manager, hardly ever picked him to play. Antony threw his toys out the pram and refused to play for Ajax, so we signed him, to me that was very unprofessional, and would be a big question mark for me.
Mount was not the player we actually needed in the team, a player like Amrabat was a better fit in my opinion.
Until we get some legs in midfield, we are going to have many games like today's, I believe.
I'm one for giving some of our academy lads a run out, not sure how well Hannibal played today, but at least he gives a toss, and will get stuck in, nice goal from him today, just a shame that many didn't feel like celebrating a young lads first ever senior goal for Manchester United.

Our football has become so reliant on what Rashford and Bruno can do for us that the rest of our football is almost non-existent.

I don't know why people are still going to games.

Glazers could turn up at the start, look at the gate receipts, see how much was spent in the store, and go home happy men.

No other club in the world has this much external shit happening. I'm not surprised if we struggle. It's been brutal. It's not the optimum environment for good performances unfortunately.

Manager and players just need to stay calm and keep working. Players especially really need to ignore all media, all chatter, all negativity. That stuff is just dragging us down.

We'll be all right but it's gonna be a tough season.

Too bad we didn't score in the first 15 minutes. That would have changed the whole game. That being said, Brighton were the better team after the first 15 and deserved the win.

Casemiro used to be a commanding presence for any team he played for. I'm not sure he can be that sort of player anymore and good teams usually have a DM who just controls his area and everyone can count on. Without a commanding Casemiro this is going to be a long season.

We are very predictable, we actually start games alright quite often, then concede from the oppositions first attack, and then it all so often goes to shit. Somehow we managed to scramble back against Forest, but today is how it’ll go more often than not.

How many managers is this? And how many set of players? The club is rotten. So much change is needed I dont know where to start.

Laugh at us all you like while you can, because I promise you you won’t be laughing by the end of the season.

Slightly alarming just how much better then us they were.

This wasn't a one off, you replay this game ten times I don't think we win many... If any

defence was so bad Maguire will be in with a shout next game

CBs aren't the ones tasked with picking up late runners on the edge of the box, the 3 almost identical Brighton goals were down to midfield or wide players not tracking back with enough commitment.

We are heading into the next step of the Glazer Apocalypse - midtable irrelevance. Manchester United is not a big, serious club anymore(hasn't really been for a long time now) and shouldn't be considered as such. When you see how much more organized and comfortable on the ball Brighton's players are compared to United's, you come to this conclusion. Brighton plays a way better football.

Unless Glazers sell soon, this is how our future is going to look like. And it's only going to get worse.

Antony, Sancho, Amrabat, Mount, Shaw, Varane, Mainoo all absent. The patchanka side ETH put out today wasn’t good enough.
Antony (Useless and would have made no difference.)
Sancho (Useless and would have made no difference.)
Amrabat (Fair enough.)
Mount (Would have made no difference.)
Shaw (Would have made no difference. Reguilon was great.)
Varane (Would have made no difference.)
Mainoo (Would have made no difference. Ten Hag would probably have given him 5 minutes at the end of the game as usual like he does with the other youngsters.)

Try another excuse.

Our football has become so reliant on what Rashford and Bruno can do for us that the rest of our football is almost non-existent.
Imo it's the opposite, their way of playing costs us, especially Rashford. Moments players who don't do the basics well enough.

Slightly alarming just how much better then us they were.

This wasn't a one off, you replay this game ten times I don't think we win many... If any
Everybody saying about they had players missing, but if you have players to come in who play to the system and are good quality it makes no difference.

Everybody saying about they had players missing, but if you have players to come in who play to the system and are good quality it makes no difference.
As long as they do the core basics well, then the other stuff is icing on the cake. They clearly do the basics well.

We are very predictable, we actually start games alright quite often, then concede from the oppositions first attack, and then it all so often goes to shit. Somehow we managed to scramble back against Forest, but today is how it’ll go more often than not.

The reason this, is due to the following:

1) ETH isn't tactically flexible enough.
2) The playing squad is mentally weak.

This will keep happening.

We need to pull the band aid off and move on. Rashford especially.

As I said in the other thread, it's mental. The positivity just drains out of them (and us) once they concede. Too much external pressure and scrutiny which is off the scale. Sports is so much the mental aspect and our environment at the club is not healthy.

We all just need to stay calm.

Mainoo doesn't play for the first team and you can't play all those players. Just a really poor excuse.
Those are called options. What’s your fecking malfunction? Those players were absent. You think Ten Hag drew it up in the tactics room that Bruno was going to play CB? Give over.

Don’t worry lads. Ten hag is deliberately playing bad football so the glazers will feck off. Ah ha ha

Has Ten Hag spoken yet? I'd love to hear his thoughts. Cos it was difficult to understand that game. The lack of reaction, the weird subs, just the whole game really. The better coach won today.

As long as they do the core basics well, then the other stuff is icing on the cake. They clearly do the basics well.
Exactly. They all want to impress the manager, we have players in the team today, McT and ones on the bench who we were trying to flog if we could.

I don't know how much of this is true except I know Veltman was even cheaper but damn.

You can't buy a decent Premier league player for £20 million these days can you?

Nope, you can get a whole team!

Brighton Starting X1: Steele £0, Veltman £1m, Van Hecke £2m, Dunk £0, Lamptey £3m, Dahoud £0, Gross £3m, Adringa £8m, Mitoma £3m, Lallana £0, Welbz £0 = TOTAL £20 MILLION

Brighton were good at beating United's press. The better team won.

We could barely handle Welbeck dropping deep. Kane, our supposed top target, is going to remind us once again why the Glazers have killed United.
The man to watch is Alphonso Davies. Kane will have a tougher time scoring if you cut the passing source and I know because Canadian media here show clips of Davies feeding Kane time and time again.

Glad I've been drinking all afternoon. I didnt bother watching this match or keeping up with the score.

I've found I don't really care having seen the score now.

Has Ten Hag spoken yet? I'd love to hear his thoughts. Cos it was difficult to understand that game. The lack of reaction, the weird subs, just the whole game really. The better coach won today.
He looked really down after the game as you would expect, but you wonder if all the shenanigans going on around the club are knocking the stuffing out of him a bit.

The thing I cant understand is why it takes too long for TH to realise it isnt working. As soon as we went 2 down thats the time to change it not wait and hope for a miracle. The 3 subs at 85 mins was ridiculous as well. Way too late. We now need to hope Amrabat is the real deal and Mount comes good. We still have Mainoo as well to come in and plug that big hole in our midfield, but really shouldnt be on a kids shoulders.

The last 10 minutes of the match felt like ETH was inspired by FM’s All Out Attack and I swear there was no balance and no idea behind that system change :confused:

I don't know how much of this is true except I know Veltman was even cheaper but damn.

You can't buy a decent Premier league player for £20 million these days can you?

Nope, you can get a whole team!

Brighton Starting X1: Steele £0, Veltman £1m, Van Hecke £2m, Dunk £0, Lamptey £3m, Dahoud £0, Gross £3m, Adringa £8m, Mitoma £3m, Lallana £0, Welbz £0 = TOTAL £20 MILLION
That is what a DOF, a good one does for you, also an owner who doesn't have stars in his eyes. They have a good scouting system and DOF's who listen to them. We have scouts that aren't listened to. No DOF so the manager has to try and do it all.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 245 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:1 Brighton
  • 10% Man Utd 3:1 Brighton