PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 September 2023

I will keep asking, when can we expect any new manager (I don't care who) to get us playing better and creating chances season after season? I don't even care about seeing us win things (would be nice but sometimes fine margins mean we won't win even when we deserve to), but I am tired of seeing the likes of Brighton play controlled, well-thought-out football than we do despite spending about a third of our budget. I hate watching the football we play and I've had to start watching teams that I usually wouldn't to get some sort of enjoyment from football.

We gave up after their 3rd goal. Losing is not bothering but the way we downed the tools is disheartening.

See why people were pessimistic of this game? Brighton were comfortable all game. Rarely troubled them.

I blame this game fully on ETH. Stupid tactics to play the diamond which meant their fullbacks had all the time in the world. And then refusing to change it until the game was lost already. And then playing Bruno absolutely everywhere even in central defence. Questions should be asked of Ten Hag and rightly so.

Never have I been so frustrated with a managers tactics before.

This one's on Ten Hag I think. Totally outplayed by De Zerbi. The bandaid that was Casemiro has well and truly come off. He's been utterly shite this season and it has ruined our start.

On the bright side, maybe now the Glazers will finally feel they've reached the end and feck off.
Doubt they tuned in. They probably don't watch football.

They are not a Premier League team. A spell in the Championship might do everyone a load of good.

Feels like we need a complete overhaul at every level. The whole board, staff and squad. A nuclear reset, in other words. Impossible of course, so we'll just carry on and continue our journey towards irrelevance.

Rashford was one of, if not the biggest, threat though. What was the rest doing?

He is a threat. But he's also doesn't have much of a football brain. Sometimes the simple cutback or pass is on but he has to take another man on. He's not solely to blame though.

ETH made some questionable decisions today. I didnt think I'd be saying this but on the current trajectory he will be gone by Christmas. Who replaces him god knows but the club will keep sacking and change to a different type of manager and he will be left with players he doesn't want. Round and round we go.

Nothing will change until them lot sell the club and someone with half a clue how to put a football structure in place comes in. Who that is I have no idea.

It’s Brighton - we were underdogs in this game and if you didn’t think so going in then you were only setting yourself up for disappointment.

I liked how we started the game. The shape was interesting and I liked the idea of Rashford and Hojlund being up top. The problem is that we are just so easy to overcome. That midfield of Casemiro, Eriksen, and McTominay were just dogshit today. Casemiro isn't doing the job he was brought in to do, Eriksen doesn't have the ability to move, and McTominay should count himself very lucky that he's still starting games for us and the club really should have replaced him in the Summer.

We had chances but we couldn't take them. We seem to need 30 chances to score 1 goal, yet our opponents score with every chance they have. We're just pushovers. Very poor mental strength, very fragile, and very soft.

I genuinely haven't enjoyed watching us since around 3/4 of the way though last season, when our performances fell off a cliff.

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks these players truly give a shit about losing, they way they jogged around the pitch they deserve to be sacked.

I wondered how long the players would take to throw ETH under the bus, well I have my answer now! Utter joke of mentality being outplayed by Brighton at home. Blame tactics all you like but these players simply do not care or just want out.

That was too easy for them. This team still has no character, and we'll struggle against all decent sides this season. We don't have a group of players capable of challenging for anything.

Ten Hag is an absolutely horrendous manager, just utter, utter garbage

Anyone will be. We could have Guardiola and an all time world XI and they'd all turn to shit in the United shirt.

Losing faith quickly in the manager. Martial for Hojland i mean what the f@@k!!!!!
He wont do it but time has come to put the kids in Gore, Hannibal, Pellistri, Garnacho ....they really can't do any worse.

We are a terrible joke of a team. What a waste of time supporting this team lately. What are we even supporting!?

There's something seriously wrong with this football club, no matter who we bring through the door, after a year or two they look a shadow of themselves.

Then a youngster comes on and looks up for the fight, in this instance it's Hannibal again after looking like a bright spot under Ragnick.

We're stuck on loop.

ETH gets the blame today. Hojlund was clearly one of our biggest threats, Martial was invisible in contrast.

This match highlighted why we struggle in the big matches.

Rashford was good on the ball but the criticism he gets when the opposition has it is warranted. We don't win the ball from defenses Rashford's pressing is reactionary and for show. This match wasn't helped by not having a right winger meaning when we gave Brighton the lead by ball watching they could start winding down the clock by passing the ball between defenders and goalkeepers.

Jason Steele is 33 years old and came from the lower divisions. I don't see the difference between him and Onana honestly.

We need to stop playing players out of position and we should always play in a way that utilizes Bruno the most. Teams have started focusing on closing him out of games which really takes away much of our bite.

Great to have the football back to lift the mood....feckin hell.

The off-field stuff had nothing to do with this, the main question is, where are the tactics? Ten Hag has apparently been getting his staff to work 11-hour days, what they're doing is beyond me. It looks like we're just making it up as we go along. I don't think the manager rates or trusts many players and it shows, and it's no surprise we can't get a result against a top-half team. He's making us play like a small team, which says all we need to know about what he thinks of the quality of the team.

I wonder who'll be our next manager?

Long, long season ahead and that isn't a good thing. We are going to struggle to score and continue to concede.

Erik needs a serious rethink and he needs to stop relying on the same players week in week out. It is going the same way as Ole did and underperformers are continually playing. Yes we have injuries, but it's time to make some changes and get more energy in the team.

Great goal from Hannibal, I look forward to seeing him in a month or so when he'll get another chance.

every game now leaves me feeling like we have no midfield or maybe a man down in midfield. we are in big trouble I don't know how this changes but a huge reset is needed. Maybe start the kids, show faith in Gore and Hannibal against Bayern. how can they be worse. my only reserve is they get rinsed by the rest of the privileged cnuts we pay every week

Not angry, just disappointed.

In all seriousness though it's starting to feel like the previous regimes again, players look half arsed and uninspired and the football is a reflection of that, it's going to take one hell of a turn around to salvage this season it seems.

Season is already gone. We're in a battle for fifth at this point and even that is a stretch when you consider we haven't even played City, Liverpool yet.

We don't have the squad to compete. When our first 11 are fit and firing we can give teams again but the drop off man for man is astounding.

Today...
We played with Spurs 3rd choice LB.
A midfielder we wanted to sell in the summer, with Fulham being his most solid option.
Eriksen in CM who can't run or play the position at all.
Our captain and number 10 playing out of position.

It's silly we have gone in to yet another season so undercooked. They don't care, United is just a money making scheme for the owners, board and even players.

What struck me most today was how meek we were off the ball. Brighton were able to play through our press at ease whereas when we were on the ball we were so laboured in playing through their shape. Not enough people were moving to show for the ball deep.
Rashford was a threat on the ball but looked so lackadaisical off it.

Losing faith in Ten Hag now but the ownership is the real weight around the club’s neck, and a lot of fans don’t seem to see it or care enough to make real sacrifices to get them out.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 245 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:1 Brighton
  • 10% Man Utd 3:1 Brighton