POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nuts

Is Giggs even still an option? As in, is the press still speculating that it will happen? It all seems to have gone a bit quiet on that score now and I kind of assumed that idea had been shelved.
Wait for the next two losses and it'll be back.

Giggs should manage Wales, or should have shown an interest in the Swansea job before being anywhere near consideration for United.

Adebesi

It could be that he is relieved of his duties on the football side of things and is left to deal with the commercial aspect of the club, which he is clearly extremely talented at.

If and when performances on the park start affecting the bottom line, then action will have to be taken. If Woodward can't get the footballing side right and that affects the club financially then I can see him being moved sidewards.
Agreed. But again, I think it will be his next appointment that determines whether that happens.

Obviously if we dont quality for the CL this season then the football side WILL have affected the bottom line. But my guess is that, as I said, Van Gaal would carry the can for that, not Woodward. He would be expected to get the next decision right, if he didnt that would establish the pattern of incompetence, as far as the football side goes.

It is an interesting question as to whether Woodward would accept a sideways move, given it would in truth be a downward move, as he is effectively the CEO, in practice if not in title. The risk for the Glazers would be that he would feel demoted and insulted and would leave, thus killing the golden goose.

This is why the DoF route might appeal. I am interested in this question, in that I read a lot of stuff on here from people who understand the implications of it much better than I do - arguing on both sides of it. I havent got anything to add in terms of whether it is a good idea or not. But it would have the advantage of putting a football man in a position of authority in football matters, while keeping them very clearly below Woodward in the hierarchy. So Woodward remains de facto CEO, with ultimate responsibility for everything, including the football. But someone else gets to make the actual decisions, all he has to do is go along with it.

Munich_1958

Red For Ever

Although I found him entertaining at Chelsea the first time he was there, I never wanted him at United.

On his second stink at Chelsea he seemed a different person, and this season seemed to have a self destruct button, and he coudnt get his Champions to perform on the pitch this year.

Despite all that, I think he is the best proven manager available at the moment, if it was only for 2 or 3 years, that is stability compared to many clubs these days.

Shark

@NotShark
interesting, United interest in Mourinho has really intensified to the point it seems its a matter of when not if, lets hope so anyway I fully believe he could have a Cantona affect, interesting summer coming up
Yep, it's a matter of when IMO and I couldn't be happier that club is seeing the light. Giggs needs to earn his stripes elsewhere.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Regarding his short-term approach to the job, I think it has come down to the fact he's a control freak that has never been given full control. It was always Roman's club rather than his and the same with Moratti at Inter and Perez at Real Madrid.

He knows that if he took the reins at United he'll have full control over every single detail and I think it's incredibly important to want a manager that wants control over the whole club like that. Whereas Pep seems to just want to take control of the first team coaching and have a say in transfers, I think Mourinho has always envied what Ferguson had at United and is desperate it.

There would be no more squabbles over who he is allowed to sign, no more dressing room tantrums. His club, his rules and I think he'd be happier for it.

How would Ferguson have coped under Abramovic? Being told who is going to be joining his squad and being told he's not allowed a certain player or that a certain player is allowed to leave the club and go to a rival?

How would Ferguson have coped at Real when a certain section of the dressing room is undermining his authority and having stories printed that he does not like? How would he have reacted when he goes to the President for support and the best he gets back is a shrug of his shoulders?

Where has his incentive ever been to develop youth? He's been at clubs that demand instant success, at clubs give no credit to the development of a youngster, at clubs that he knows he'll probably out of in a few years time when the owner or President has refused to let him do something his way.

We're a match made in heaven for him. Fergie was a control freak with a huge, huge ego and that is the perfect cocktail for success in this club. Mourinho is cut from the same cloth and will thrive under those conditions.
Agreed. I think he was jealous of Wenger having complete control at Arsenal too which is why he constantly criticised him.

Munich_1958

I dont understand this bit about caretaker manager. Why would he not join until the summer, even if he has agreed to take on the job? Why would we need someone else in place until the end of the season?
This is not his mess to clean up, he has also had a bad year and it would only be bad for both him and the club if he came here and lost a few matches, he needs a fresh start witha summer of putting his own team together

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I dont understand this bit about caretaker manager. Why would he not join until the summer, even if he has agreed to take on the job? Why would we need someone else in place until the end of the season?
It's better to have a clean start. New season, chance to have your own say in the transfer window, every team on 0 points - I would imagine every new manager would prefer that, rather than have to start with a struggle at the wrong end of the season.

Munich_1958

It's better to have a clean start. New season, chance to have your own say in the transfer window, every team on 0 points - I would imagine every new manager would prefer that, rather than have to start with a struggle at the wrong end of the season.
exactly

Adebesi

This is not his mess to clean up, he has also had a bad year and it would only be bad for both him and the club if he came here and lost a few matches, he needs a fresh start witha summer of putting his own team together
So Jose himself might have said he wants to come but not until next season?

I can see that makes sense on some level but I cant say I would be that happy with it - and the sense has been that Giggs isnt available in this capacity anyway.

The fact is, if he takes the job, it IS his mess to clean up, that is the job. He should want to bloody well get stuck in putting things right, I thought his dossier was all about how he had identified some of the problems we have etc. If he took over now, or next week or whatever, he would have a chance to work with the players and be in a better position at the start of next season.

I can see why Van Gaal should stay until the summer, even if he is going to leave then. I support that. But if things get worse and Van Gaal goes, Mourinho should start straight away IMO.

SSSSnake

If we get him I hope he stays for a long time...can you just imagine how feisty the Manc derby would get!?

Adebesi

Im sure they would, but if things got to the point where we needed him he should come in and help us out, whether its what he would prefer or not.

Anyway Im not going to get bogged down in that, it just seems strange to me that if Van Gaal does end up leaving we could have an interim while our next manager is sitting about twiddling his thumbs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Is Giggs even still an option? As in, is the press still speculating that it will happen? It all seems to have gone a bit quiet on that score now and I kind of assumed that idea had been shelved.
Definitely get the feeling that Neville failing as badly as he has would have made our board think twice about it.

itso 7

Agreed. But again, I think it will be his next appointment that determines whether that happens.

Obviously if we dont quality for the CL this season then the football side WILL have affected the bottom line. But my guess is that, as I said, Van Gaal would carry the can for that, not Woodward. He would be expected to get the next decision right, if he didnt that would establish the pattern of incompetence, as far as the football side goes.

It is an interesting question as to whether Woodward would accept a sideways move, given it would in truth be a downward move, as he is effectively the CEO, in practice if not in title. The risk for the Glazers would be that he would feel demoted and insulted and would leave, thus killing the golden goose.

This is why the DoF route might appeal. I am interested in this question, in that I read a lot of stuff on here from people who understand the implications of it much better than I do - arguing on both sides of it. I havent got anything to add in terms of whether it is a good idea or not. But it would have the advantage of putting a football man in a position of authority in football matters, while keeping them very clearly below Woodward in the hierarchy. So Woodward remains de facto CEO, with ultimate responsibility for everything, including the football. But someone else gets to make the actual decisions, all he has to do is go along with it.
Woodward is too far gone in the commercial direction to think that he will ever acquire the needed skillset to succeed in the role as it is, being the CEO of the club. He has to bring in a DOF to save his hide because, frankly speaking, we have been a shambles on the market and haven't had value for money in any of our recent deals. That would be fine if the results were good but as it is I don't think we can remain as the biggest spenders in fees and wages yet constantly finish as the fourth/fifth best team on the land for long without a change being made. The most important signing he can make right now is a DOF who will help cover his apparent weaknesses. And it should not be done on a "jobs for the boys" basis either, get the best that is doing it right now- poach Sammer from Bayern!

Munich_1958

So Jose himself might have said he wants to come but not until next season?

I can see that makes sense on some level but I cant say I would be that happy with it - and the sense has been that Giggs isnt available in this capacity anyway.

The fact is, if he takes the job, it IS his mess to clean up, that is the job. He should want to bloody well get stuck in putting things right, I thought his dossier was all about how he had identified some of the problems we have etc. If he took over now, or next week or whatever, he would have a chance to work with the players and be in a better position at the start of next season.

I can see why Van Gaal should stay until the summer, even if he is going to leave then. I support that. But if things get worse and Van Gaal goes, Mourinho should start straight away IMO.
Mourinho cant fix alot of the BIG issues because he has no transfer window to do so and that is what is required, He would never agree to sign up this season due to his own problems at Chelsea and our problems, Mourinho will need the summer window if he wants a good start to life at United, starting before hand could just be negative and suicide on his behalf.

vidic blood & sand

So it looks pretty certain that Mourinho will be in charge at United next season. I've already accepted as a reality, and I'm already anticipating how he'll be looking to alter the squad.
I think that players like Fellaini and Schneiderlin are in a vulnerable state. Mourinho likes his teams to be very strong in midfield. He usually likes to play with one striker, and dominate in the center.
Can't see that changing, but schneiderlin and Fellaini don't offer a lot really.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
A young manager like Pochettino should be given a chance with a United squad that is at the top. He can come in, make a couple of additions and bring in new ideas to a winning team.

For a team that is in a sorry state like ours, we need a proven winner like Mourinho. It doesn't matter if he stays 3 years or 10 years. 3 years is a long time in football, long enough for him to build a quality side, win a trophy or two and reestablish us a top-tier European club. Once that is done, we can give Giggs or Pochettino or whoever the job knowing that the structure, winning mentality and playing squad are in place.

Munich_1958

So it looks pretty certain that Mourinho will be in charge at United next season. I've already accepted as a reality, and I'm already anticipating how he'll be looking to alter the squad.
I think that players like Fellaini and Schneiderlin are in a vulnerable state. Mourinho likes his teams to be very strong in midfield. He usually likes to play with one striker, and dominate in the center.
Can't see that changing, but schneiderlin and Fellaini don't offer a lot really.
Schneiderlin is his Matic very similar players cant see that being a problem

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
There's usually a strong defensive midfielder in Mourinho's sides, such as such as Khedira, Makalele or Matic. There's no one better than Schneiderlin in the Premier League for that role.

itso 7

I think Schneiderlin is a typical Mourinho player - he can run all night long and isn't averse to the dark arts that Jose employs regularly.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
A young manager like Pochettino should be given a chance with a United squad that is at the top. He can come in, make a couple of additions and bring in new ideas to a winning team.

For a team that is in a sorry state like ours, we need a proven winner like Mourinho. It doesn't matter if he stays 3 years or 10 years. 3 years is a long time in football, long enough for him to build a quality side, win a trophy or two and reestablish us a top-tier European club. Once that is done, we can give Giggs or Pochettino or whoever the job knowing that the structure, winning mentality and playing squad are in place.
He should, but the state we are in it is a risk too far. Jose could get us winning again and Pochettino needs to prove that this season at Spurs isn't just a one off. Remember 'arry got them into the CL.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Mourinho would love him I'd imagine.

Adebesi

Mourinho cant fix alot of the BIG issues because he has no transfer window to do so and that is what is required, He would never agree to sign up this season due to his own problems at Chelsea and our problems, Mourinho will need the summer window if he wants a good start to life at United, starting before hand could just be negative and suicide on his behalf.
See to subscribe to that view you have to believe that our squad is weak. But I dont believe that, I believe we have better players than our results and performances have shown. So I believe a good manager should be able to improve both even before they have signed new players.

Though of course a new manager will want to bring in new players as well to fit into their own system and how they want us to play.

Point taken about how a few negative results at the tail end of this season might get his career here off to a bad start. Anyway, hopefully Van Gaal can muddle through until the end of the season.

With everything that all of you are saying, it makes more sense that Woodward hasnt fired Van Gaal I guess, doesnt it. I mean, people were saying how inept he was, how can we not act, what is wrong with him, yadda yadda yadda. Funnily enough I answered a few posts last week to that effect, saying maybe he was lining someone up who wasnt available until next season, and people shouldnt assume that just because they havent heard anything that it means nothing is happening. But when I said that I imagined it would be because the person we wanted already had a job, not because they refused to start until they have had a chance to sign a load more players.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Woodward is too far gone in the commercial direction to think that he will ever acquire the needed skillset to succeed in the role as it is, being the CEO of the club. He has to bring in a DOF to save his hide because, frankly speaking, we have been a shambles on the market and haven't had value for money in any of our recent deals. That would be fine if the results were good but as it is I don't think we can remain as the biggest spenders in fees and wages yet constantly finish as the fourth/fifth best team on the land for long without a change being made. The most important signing he can make right now is a DOF who will help cover his apparent weaknesses. And it should not be done on a "jobs for the boys" basis either, get the best that is doing it right now- poach Sammer from Bayern!
We probably need someone with a stronger knowledge of the English game. But then again, with the TV money, I expect most of our recruitment to be done outside England as most PL teams will be able to ask for ridiculous prices for their players from now on.

Adebesi

That's what always gets me about the DoF debate. Its hard enough finding a good manager, but here we are saying we need to find two high quality people, not just one. A chain is only a strong as its weakest link, so it is just another opportunity to make a bad appointment.

I must say I can see the argument for a DoF but the ideal scenario has to be to have a manager with the personality to take responsibility for it all himself. Delegate in order to manage his workload, but have ultimate control.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Irish Radio just mentioned something about Jose joining us in July, my wife caught the end of the news in the car and rang me to tell me. But I cant find anything at all. Asked her was she sure and she said its what they said!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The problem with hiring Jose now is that he gets put into a position where he starts building an attachment to all the players and puts him in a weaker position to get rid of players who are not good enough.

Coming in the summer, he can be much more objective and make decisions with a clear head, no emotional attachments to any players and pick a new captain for example without having to worry about media pressure. A poor Euro's for someone like Rooney for example and it is much easier for Jose to sideline him than coming into the side at the moment and facing the national press backlash if he was to drop him. All sorts of political struggles can be avoided if he comes in the summer.

The flipside is this whole Top 4 thing. I think everyone wants us to get top 4 under LVG and a clean slate for Jose next season, whereas if LVG completely flops... we have no choice but to get rid and possibly install Giggs or bring Jose in earlier than he wants. I think this is the reason why the club has been dithering so much.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The Mail are saying he will take over in July.

They reckon he was sounded out by Ferguson in 2013 but he chose Chelsea and we ended up with...well, you know the rest.

Last edited: