POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm beginning to see sense in this Mourinho idea. If he makes certain concessions to fit the club better it might just be the right thing to do.

He loved us so much he engineers his own exit from chelsea.

How else could you quit working for a russian mob?

He could have 99 percent of job in the world and he wants to come here.

Talking about being spoilt. This is jose fecking mourinho, not david moyes

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the personalities of Cantona, Keane and perhaps even SAF? Saints?

Cantona and Keane were players, don't see any relevance. Fergie never brought United to such a miserable state as this Chelsea due to a fallout with some players. Mou cannot manage a team 3-4 years, what use is to compare him to Fergie? The whole question does not make sense. Apparently, you don't grasp my point...

I'm not a fan but you are not objective.

I'm not pretending to be "objective" (are you?), I just share my sentiments. Two years ago, I was right that he wouldn't enjoy much success with Chelsea (2). Maybe I'm not completely wrong that he wouldn't have much success at United either?

Edit: by "much success" I mean establishing the team as one of the 3-4 best teams in the world. Otherwise, Mancini and Pellegrini are great managers too.

I'm not pretending to be "objective" (are you?), I just share my sentiments. Two years ago, I was right that he wouldn't enjoy much success with Chelsea (2). Maybe I'm not completely wrong that he wouldn't have much success at United either?

Edit: by "much success" I mean establishing the team as one of the 3-4 best teams in the world. Otherwise, Mancini and Pellegrini are great managers too.

:lol: No, my last problems with Mourinho are his new haircut and his taste in jeans, not United material.

Mourinho would get us that first trophy since SAF retired. I'm 100% convinced. He's always wanted the job and probably feels he has a point to prove now after Chelsea.

A Mourinho with the bit between his teeth is still the best manager around, imo.

Mourinho would get us that first trophy since SAF retired. I'm 100% convinced.

Agreed. And I think its absolutely critical we win it as soon as possible or else its tough to get out of a slump. Also why it was completely and utterly stupid giving it to Moyes who had won feck all.

It was important for the club to move on from Fergie quickly, and show that we could be successful without him.

Agreed. And I think its absolutely critical we win it as soon as possible or else its tough to get out of a slump. Also why it was completely and utterly stupid giving it to Moyes who had won feck all.

It was important for the club to move on from Fergie quickly, and show that we could be successful without him.

Indeed.

We might not get the vintage of Fergie but Jose could still get us playing some fast attacking football. In big games he might mastermind a cagey 1-0 win and I'd have no problem with that at all. Plus I think our squad's not too far away and in a similar place to Chelsea in 2013/14 when he just needed to add a couple of players to turn them into champions.

Another difference is that he doesn't have a meltdown in his 3rd year and Bayern seem stronger than ever.
They seemed stronger than ever the past two years as well, impressing in the bundesliga as usual and destroying teams in earlier rounds in the CL until they met serious opposition.

Wait for Bayern to get to the semis. They will get destroyed. Again.

The meltdown part I believe is pure coincidence and superstition. But even if he does fail in his third year here: dream on if you think we will have another top manager again in this day and age who will stay 20 years. Just like every other club we will be changing managers when things don't go well. Pep isn't long term either.

It's astonishing how much the pendulum of opinion has swung towards Mourinho in the past week or so. Desperate times I guess.

I'm still extremely wary of having this guy at the helm. Not just on the basis of what happened this season, he was an awful turd of a man at Real as well.

For all his faults I do genuinely think that, bar a few of the old boys, the players like Van Gaal and want to play well for him. I think Mourinho would split the dressing room further (consider for example how the Spanish players would react when he inevitably freezes out Mata) which is the last thing we need right now.

They seemed stronger than ever the past two years as well, impressing in the bundesliga as usual and destroying teams in earlier rounds in the CL until they met serious opposition.

Wait for Bayern to get to the semis. They will get destroyed. Again.

The meltdown part I believe is pure coincidence and superstition. But even if he does fail in his third year here: dream on if you think we will have another top manager again in this day and age who will stay 20 years. Just like every other club we will be changing managers when things don't go well. Pep isn't long term either.

Fully agree about this part.

As regards your prediction about Bayern getting destroyed again, time will tell etc. Personally, I think that only injuries could stop them this season. I'd back them to beat Barca if both teams played with their best players even though I prefer Barca, they are my favourite team on the continent and I'm a big big fan of MSN.

Has the Jonathan Wilson article been posted yet? Very interesting read.

Edit - here's the link. Article is too long to post.

The Devil and Jose Mourinho - Jonathan Wilson

That article makes him out as someone with a huge inferiority complex. Someone who felt entitled for something, and when they didn't get it, have made it a purpose of their life to prove them wrong. Also, so far, have failed in their quest more than they have succeeded.

If anything, that article is worrying.

It's astonishing how much the pendulum of opinion has swung towards Mourinho in the past week or so. Desperate times I guess.

I'm still extremely wary of having this guy at the helm. Not just on the basis of what happened this season, he was an awful turd of a man at Real as well.

For all his faults I do genuinely think that, bar a few of the old boys, the players like Van Gaal and want to play well for him. I think Mourinho would split the dressing room further (consider for example how the Spanish players would react when he inevitably freezes out Mata) which is the last thing we need right now.

I'm not comfortable with that argument, it sounds like the players decide who suits the manager, who plays and who isn't sold.

Would u rather he be a clown and try to make everyone happy ala lvg?

Telling rooney to do one will give the squad something to cheer for

At least, what we know with Mourniho is that he won't play a midfielder in defense like Blind or Young. He can/will play Jones as a midfielder because he can't really defend.

Even if his behavior is sometimes really... extreme, he knows how to build a team, and at Chelsea, Inter or Real, he always had strong (physical) teams.

To be honest, I remember that his Inter team was magnificent the year they won everything. Sneijder, Eto'o, Milito, Thiago Motta etc. A team full of caracter and power. We only focus on the Barca game they won with a defensive manner, but they were great to see, and entertaining too.

It was the same with his Madrid team. I remember in Champions League how they played. The year they won La Liga, excuse me, but they had a terrific counter attacking game. He adapted the quality of his players, speed, penetration and technics. Remember that he had a terrific team with Benzema, Higuain, Ronaldo, Ozil, Di Maria, Alonso, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo.

His two years at Chelsea were good also, if not very very good. Remember that lost twice at Stamford Bridge (with a 3-0) and only drew at home against his side.

I mean, yes, he's not the most sexy football we'll be able to see, but with Fergie we didn't neither. And Mourinho already played beautiful, he just adapat his methods and philosophy to his players. His pragmatic and LVG is dogmatic

Appointing Guardiola as Barca's manager didn't look like a brilliant idea back in 2008, more like a very risky experiment. The rest is history. Maybe we should find then next big thing. It's easy to say, I agree but it would be great.

BTW, it would be brave from Mou to take over United if the task were to make us a top 3 team in the world. it would be a real challenge, more so than managing a squad as good as Madrid's.

We need short term fix than anything else and Jose is the right man, considering pep is not coming here.

That article makes him out as someone with a huge inferiority complex. Someone who felt entitled for something, and when they didn't get it, have made it a purpose of their life to prove them wrong. Also, so far, have failed in their quest more than they have succeeded.

If anything, that article is worrying.
I thought it was pretty balanced for a Wilson article, who has always comes across as enamoured with the Dutch school. He could have been more scathing IMO.

Is it so bad to be driven? That's the question. We have seen with Pep that he is an idealist. What keeps him focused? Mourinho is pragmatic and that's always been the difference.

Those with something to prove can eventually go the furthest.

The more I think about it the more I want it. I want to win things again. I want things to be simple again (i.e. players played in their best position). Mouirnho can do these things. If we can somehow get a guarantee that he won't be so abrasive I'd be all for it.

I saw photos on twitter of Mourinho meeting with Woody. Don't know if photoshopped or real :nervous:

Edit: Old photos, from May. As you were.

ZDwyr said:
If we can somehow get a guarantee that he won't be so abrasive I'd be all for it.

He'll never change. Admittedly, I don't particularly want José at United but my bias is besides the point; I honestly feel that his behaviour, over time, won't alter. His reputation as a winner is absolutely everything to him, so he'll continue to berate, divide, antagonise when he's struggling (and even when he isn't struggling - see the quote below). It's not even that he can't help himself - it's a policy of his. This is my honest opinion.

This day of joy (the day Chelsea won the League title), he decided, was the perfect time to deliver another thrust in his ongoing feud with Pep Guardiola, the intense 44-year-old who was appointed Barcelona manager ahead of Mourinho in 2008. Guardiola, a much-loved former Barça player, had no coaching experience beyond one year in charge of the reserve side, but went on to win three league titles and two Champions Leagues in four seasons at Barça, playing a style of football widely regarded as both thrilling and revolutionary. “For me,” Mourinho said, “I’m not the smartest guy to choose countries and clubs. I could choose another club in another country where to be champion is easier.” He didn’t name Guardiola, but the reference was clear. In 2013, Guardiola had gone to Germany’s super-club, Bayern Munich, where the question is less, “Who will win the title?” than “How many will Bayern win it by?” Guardiola’s titles, Mourinho was suggesting, meant less than the one he had just won. To some extent he was right, of course, and if he had been making a general critique of the iniquities of global football finance, he might even have come across as statesmanlike, but his point was limited to Guardiola and his personal antipathy. (Guardian)

He'll never change. Admittedly, I don't particularly want José at United but my bias is besides the point; I honestly feel that his behaviour, over time, won't alter. His reputation as a winner is absolutely everything to him, so he'll continue to berate, divide, antagonise when he's struggling (and even when he isn't struggling - see the quote below). It's not even that he can't help himself - it's a policy of his. This is my honest opinion.

I actually don't mind all of it. Like the quote you mentioned, it doesn't really bother me that he wants to have a rivalry with Pep or whatever. It's just when he turns on his own staff/players that concerns me. If he could cut that out I'd be basically fine with him.

Tough, tough one tbh.

Unless mourinho does a miraculous u-turn re his attitude and behavior, the decision is literally: (as close to) guaranteed success on the field versus the morality & values debate.

That's a bit dramatic because "it's only a game" after all, but you all know what I mean.

Mourinho basically became a no-no for me the day he crossed the line and poked Tito in the eye. Before that episode, one could argue that he's no worse than the other managers who'd had their fair share of mind games & fallouts with players. Albeit on the extreme side.

That & his appalling approach to youngsters are my 2 biggest gripes. I often feel his sides "boring" football is overblown & exaggerated. A lot of his sides were fun to watch - except when he faced tough away matches or "better footballing teams".

In an ideal world, id love to be arrogant enough to want to see our beloved United, coached by an idealist like Pep & playing attacking football "no matter what". We will go anywhere and enforce our game on them type approach. But I fear our recent poor decisions - i.e. Not just appointing managers but the transfer strategy as well might have forced our hand and render us in a very complicated position.

Assuming we can't get Pep - how many other viable options are available that are, as "low risk" (success risk) as Mou? Arguably even Pep isn't as low risk IMO (even though he'd by my first choice). And for how long can we afford to get the management appointments wrong before we end up in a Liverpool 'esque cycle which is difficult to reverse? Lack of success on the pitch will, believe it or not, end up having huge commercial impact on us which will effect....blah blah blah.

So the difficult choice is: if I say yes to Mou (unless he does a Suarez like u-turn with his behavior/or has it written in his contract) I feel like a glory hunter, but if I try and choose the moral high ground (in a sport which has lost so much of its morals and values already!) am I not being too stubborn and placing the club we all love in longer term adverse risk? Hmmmm.....

I hope all of you who are against Mourinho aren't major Ferguson disciples. They are pretty much the same kind of manager bar a slight tweak here or there.

This is eye opening how lacking in objectivity some of our supporters are.

I've always disliked Mourinho.. but from the perspective of an adversary..

But let's not fool ourselves.. he is one of the elite because he is a 100% winner.

Also like a few others have stated, he's not so far from SAF as many would have believe..

I've been routing for LVG to do well, but it's clear there is something wrong with what's going on..

So I think we should go for it!!