POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do not envy the people who have to make this decision. I don't support hiring him but there are a lot of potential benefits, and maybe that would be enough to outweigh the baggage. It is an extremely complex decision.

He still has the lawsuit from the team doctor hanging over him, and I think a suspended FA ban. We haven't seen the end of his antics, and he looks to me like a man in need of professional help. His personality can be too extreme - his greatest asset is sometimes his biggest liability. We know he will get in trouble, it's more a question of managing and defusing the controversy than preventing it.

Or what if he defies the odds, gets on some medication, and settles in to a nice two decade run as the manager of the biggest club in the world as the true successor to the greatest manager ever known?

In that case, what do you value more? Youth development or trophies? If the answer is both, who do we get other than Pep who seems to be off to City?
Imo going to watch united at old trafford park the bus vs liverpool or someone for 90 mins and try to get our striker to dive for a peno would just be embarrassing. I personally don't want to see the clubs traditions thrown out the window for the sake of maybe winning the league versus a brilliant attacking city full of youth players

Imo going to watch united at old trafford park the bus vs liverpool or someone for 90 mins and try to get our striker to dive for a peno would just be embarrassing. I personally don't want to see the clubs traditions thrown out the window for the sake of maybe winning the league versus a brilliant attacking city full of youth players

What?

Which youth players do city have in their squad?

He's negative, defensive, doesn't care about youth at all. We can say goodbye to those attacking and youth traditions. Those are just observations based over his career to date.

He is still the best manager in the world since fergie retired and for me it isn't close. If he comes in, pep at city or not, we will win titles. He is better at winning than pep imo, despite being a far worse fit for a club like this.

I was personally excited by the young team we were building and for that reason really don't want to see mourinho come in. There will be plenty of people in this thread syaing 'ye but' and citing a couple of occasions that mourinoh put out a young side or had an important young player. But those people would be proved wrong in time - this would mean giving up on developing youth
The criticism levelled at him is that he doesn't bring through enough unknowns from the youth team into the first team, but then really what serially successful manager does in the modern era? If you're worried about him not playing the likes of Martial/Depay/etc I think you've totally misunderstood that criticism - he's more than happy to trust the Varanes of this world.

I also think saying he's defensive and negative is harsh, yes he does pride himself on building from the back but his Real Madrid side in particular could produce breathtaking pieces of play and if you look at the scoring records of his sides over each season they're not exactly parched (his Real Madrid side outscored Guardiola's Barcelona in 2011-2012). Indeed, some of the below seems very Tevez-Rooney-Ronaldo esque.

I do not envy the people who have to make this decision. I don't support hiring him but there are a lot of potential benefits, and maybe that would be enough to outweigh the baggage. It is an extremely complex decision.

He still has the lawsuit from the team doctor hanging over him, and I think a suspended FA ban. We haven't seen the end of his antics, and he looks to me like a man in need of professional help. His personality can be too extreme - his greatest asset is sometimes his biggest liability. We know he will get in trouble, it's more a question of managing and defusing the controversy than preventing it.

Or what if he defies the odds, gets on some medication, and settles in to a nice two decade run as the manager of the biggest club in the world as the true successor to the greatest manager ever known?
Think Fergie would have a big role to play in this - if there's one person Jose has enough respect for that he'd listen to whatever they say it's Fergie.

Is he better than LVG? Yes
Is he better than any other manager bar Pep? Yes
Is Pep going to City? Yes

Only one answer then. Sign him up. He will only stay a long time if we keep winning titles, so that's a win win

The criticism levelled at him is that he doesn't bring through enough unknowns from the youth team into the first team, but then really what serially successful manager does in the modern era? If you're worried about him not playing the likes of Martial/Depay/etc I think you've totally misunderstood that criticism - he's more than happy to trust the Varanes of this world.

I also think saying he's defensive and negative is harsh, yes he does pride himself on building from the back but his Real Madrid side in particular could produce breathtaking pieces of play and if you look at the scoring records of his sides over each season they're not exactly parched (his Real Madrid side outscored Guardiola's Barcelona in 2011-2012). Indeed, some of the below seems very Tevez-Rooney-Ronaldo esque.

yeah his madrid side were excellent for 1 year, but the exception to the rule over 10 years, also helps that he had the worlds best player. Fergie's team looked electrifying with ronaldo and then very boring after

Youth youth youth...

Our chances with youth development is only as good as the manager tenure. And the tenure is based on success.

No manager other than the obvious 3 would dare to gamble on the youth. Lvg was the mad king, he throws every youth he has just to get that lvg is a genious, qhile truth be told he doesnt have enough to field a starting xi without youth.

Do you think lesser manager being gives the job would risk their holy grail to blood some youth like cbj? Mcnair? Even lingard? Like hell they will. They will just ask ed to buy a proven player.

What makes you thinj giggs will care so much about youth? He'll be twisting and turning to keep his job, and rightly so.

Only with successful manager who knows they wont get the sack next year will any ling termish plan can ve formed

It's like fixing an oxygen mask on the plane, you ensure your own survival and worry about kids later.

Do any of you think fergie will last that long if he bloods them youth sincw thw first year? Took him several just to take out the drunkard, and he wont last that long without actual points on the field

It's like fixing an oxygen mask on the plane, you ensure your own survival and worry about kids later.

Do any of you think fergie will last that long if he bloods them youth sincw thw first year? Took him several just to take out the drunkard, and he wont last that long without actual points on the field

I agree with you.

All this talk about youth is annoying. Let's sort out our first team squad before worrying about youth.

Carragher is saying it would be a "desperate" move for Utd to hire Mourinho. Two things:
1. Fear that Mourinho would put the club back on the winning track.
2. The guy actually believes he commands some sway in effecting the Utd board's decision. At some level, Jamie carragher thinks this.

I'm agreeing with Henry.

Funny how McManaman, Souness and Carragher all don't want Mourinho to get the job.

Here's the thought of MNF.

I watched this earlier and it felt very scripted to me.

I'm agreeing with Henry.

Funny how McManaman, Souness and Carragher all don't want Mourinho to get the job.

I'm pretty sure we disagreed on Mourinho the other day but there's no doubt the scouse lot are praying for Giggs to get the job, it was the same when Moyes went, they were all about giving it to Giggs as they know it would send us right down the shitter.

I don't want mourinho, but those talking about his record with youth need to wake up and smell the coffee, we haven't developed a single top quality player since the class of 92.

I don't want mourinho, but those talking about his record with youth need to wake up and smell the coffee, we haven't developed a single top quality player since the class of 92.

Nor are we likely to in the future - football has changed from youth to the pursuit of instant success, which is why managers rarely last more than a few years these days.

Why have we not already appointed Mourinho? Let's face it, if Pep is going to City there's no other choice.

Mourinho is a counter attacking coach. With him as our manager we will not play tiki taka, we will not be able to out pass Barcelona, but we will play with pace and power on the break. With Mou we will win things.

Over a 38 season Mourinho knows how to get enough points to be champion. That is what we need right now.

Mourinho lost the players at Chelsea, but nobody can doubt the initial boost his methods provide. In this title race we should not be nine adrift. Mou can get us back up there.

We need to get him in and get him in fast.

Bringing in Pep isn't going to magically turn our side into Barcelona, I don't think our players are smart enough for Pep's intricate play. Rooney don't even know where he's supposed to be let alone where his teammates should be.

Young can't even see the ball at his feet properly to see the whole game passes him by

Why have we not already appointed Mourinho? Let's face it, if Pep is going to City there's no other choice.

Mourinho is a counter attacking coach. With him as our manager we will not play tiki taka, we will not be able to out pass Barcelona, but we will play with pace and power on the break. With Mou we will win things.

Over a 38 season Mourinho knows how to get enough points to be champion. That is what we need right now.

Mourinho lost the players at Chelsea, but nobody can doubt the initial boost his methods provide. In this title race we should not be nine adrift. Mou can get us back up there.

We need to get him in and get him in fast.

I agree he is likely to win things, but even at Chelsea, he realised the squad's limitations. He fixed it and won the title in his second season.

Is there any good managers left? Besides Moyes? Tee hee

How about Pocchettino? He has been pretty successful in managing in the EPL, although no trophies won yet, but anyone that can lift Kane's game should be applauded. Tee hee

Or Derek Rose, Ryan Bertrand for that matter.

Last edited:
The people who want him in are those who want van Gaal out for playing dour football and Mourinho wouldn't give two shits about our youth team whereas van Gaal has been actively trying to bleed them in, albeit because of injuries to our first team.

I think it's more about giving talented young players chances rather than expecting any manager to develop a top quality player from the academy. Giving chances to youth is important to some people. I don't want us to lose our record of having a player from the academy in the match day squad since I don't know how long. With Jose as the next manager, it definitely is something of a worry.

However, to support your point, and I was thinking about it last night, how many youth players have our (Caf's) other managerial choices developed in the last few years? I cannot think of a single youth player from the Bayern academy that Pep has made a regular first teamer in his stint with them, or Ancelloti in his time at Real.

I comfort myself by making a case that so far Jose has managed at clubs where expectations on him have been to win trophies instantly, so he hasn't had that responsibility to think about that long term. May be, we would want him to bring us stability while keeping the long-term future of the club in mind.

Haha I dunno. He's a fecking loon.

But it might just work. He needs to calm the feck down though.

If he drags our club through the shit heap he's just pulled Chelsea through. I'll go kick his arse.

That carry on with Eva Cannieri was bang out of order.

So who then?

The only cloth ferguson is cut from is winning

Youth, attacking, class only means something if you're winning. Any teams can make a youthful attacking team with class, making one that wins the what counts

This. Ferguson was all about winning as a primary target. Everything else is secondary.

The people who want him in are those who want van Gaal out for playing dour football and Mourinho wouldn't give two shits about our youth team whereas van Gaal has been actively trying to bleed them in, albeit because of injuries to our first team.

People don't want him out because of the dour football, people want him out because the results have gone to shit and it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon.

People don't want him out because of the dour football, people want him out because the results have gone to shit and it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon.
This,

people love to moan and complain but they wouldn't want LVG gone if we were winning every game 1-0 with this style.

Yeah exactly. So many hippocrits on here

Actually if you have been following some of the threads on here you will find a decent number of people have been complaining about the dull football for a while and expressing the opinion that winning 1-0 with this type of football wasnt acceptable.

Yeah exactly. So many hippocrits on here
Difference between Yes and No is still 46 votes, Paz. Need 24 net swing votes. Get working and canvassing. I am telling you, unless Woody sees this thread cross 50% in favour of Yes, he won't make formal offer to Mou :)

Actually if you have been following some of the threads on here you will find a decent number of people have been complaining about the dull football for a while and expressing the opinion that winning 1-0 with this type of football wasnt acceptable.
Omg do people even remember our football during the latter SAF years? Didn't we go on some sort of 1-0 record and clean sheet in a row record etc?!

Difference between Yes and No is still 46 votes, Paz. Need 24 net swing votes. Get working and canvassing. I am telling you, unless Woody sees this thread cross 50% in favour of Yes, he won't make formal offer to Mou :)
Heh you know I'll be doing a Giggs vs Arsenal celebration if/when we hire him!