Pochettino | Agrees to be US National Team Coach

Mauricio Pochettino plotting Chelsea formation switch in bid to save ailing season | Evening Standard

I think a 3-5-2 would help them.

Petrović

Disasi
Silva
Colwill

Gusto
Caicedo
Fernández
Gallagher
Chilwell

Palmer
Nkunku

Arguably the strongest team they could pick now?

Either that, or have Jackson instead of Gallagher and play him up front with Nkunku & Palmer behind him (ie. Tuchel's 3-4-3). But any 3atb formation is heavily dependent on the wing-backs to offer the width in attack and right now Gusto and Chilwell are our only players who can play those roles and any injury to either of them and the whole idea can be binned.

But I do think a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 could be a solution, at least in the short term, to give the team some much needed solidity. I remember even Arteta used a 3atb system with Arsenal in the first season when his playing style wasn't yet fully integrated with the squad and some of the players were lacking the ability needed to perform in his favored system. Once things were a bit more stable he made some tweaks and things started working much better. Poch needs somethings similar if he wants to survive because judging by latest reports his job is on the line and he won't survive many results like the last few. If he's too stubborn to make changes when things aren't working he deserves the sacking.

I like it actually.

That midfield just doesn't work in my opinion. Enzo with freedom is invisible most matches but as soon as he drops as the deepest one you see his quality.

Caicedo has been screening the defence but isn’t anywhere near as good or intelligent as Enzo at dictating play. He also had more freedom to go forward at Brighton with a deep playmaker behind him.

Gallagher was good towards the end of the year but has been poor recently and also at the start of the season. His importance has been overstated and more used as a tool for people to have a go at the club and the other midfield signings.

Mauricio Pochettino plotting Chelsea formation switch in bid to save ailing season | Evening Standard

I think a 3-5-2 would help them.

Petrović

Disasi
Silva
Colwill

Gusto
Caicedo
Fernández
Gallagher
Chilwell

Palmer
Nkunku

Arguably the strongest team they could pick now?

It's been blindingly obvious we should be going 3 at the back for months now. Ridiculous that it's only after Maatsen has gone on loan.

Gallagher should be dropped from that team - he's not good enough to justify a free role in our attack. Should be Palmer and Nkunku behind Jackson in all likelihood.

It's been blindingly obvious we should be going 3 at the back for months now. Ridiculous that it's only after Maatsen has gone on loan.

Gallagher should be dropped from that team - he's not good enough to justify a free role in our attack. Should be Palmer and Nkunku behind Jackson in all likelihood.

Seems a bit harsh on Gallagher though, he's been one of Chelsea's most consistent players in the games I've seen.

Seems a bit harsh on Gallagher though, he's been one of Chelsea's most consistent players in the games I've seen.

He's being put in the free role as an attacking midfielder and has zero goals this season. The whole midfield has been structured to highlight his attacking output and he's done remarkably little.

When chasing matches he's been moved to a deeper role with Palmer as the roaming 10 and the difference is night and day.

He's being put in the free role as an attacking midfielder and has zero goals this season. The whole midfield has been structured to highlight his attacking output and he's done remarkably little.

When chasing matches he's been moved to a deeper role with Palmer as the roaming 10 and the difference is night and day.

I like Gallagher but have to agree. He's got a hell of an engine on him but in the role Poch's used him in, he simply doesn't offer enough in attack to justify him playing there.

So either use a three man central midfield and play him alongside Enzo and Caicedo in a deeper role than the one he's played all season, or don't play him at all.

Wow I am very smart

I've been quite critical of him earlier in the season so I suppose it's only fair I give him some credit when we get a couple of non-catastrophic results, although I'm not sure if it's down to better players being available or actual coaching ability. Without having to play centre backs as fullbacks we actually look like a team at times and it seems to have allowed other players to move into more natural positions as well. For example with the return of Chilwell, who likes to push very high up on his wing, Enzo has been slotting into the space that opens up in the inverted-left-fullback-position and has been having a bigger influence in the build-up. From this position he's been good at finding progressive passes through the middle or switching play to Gusto/Palmer which has made us less predictable in attack.

Gallagher is also used a bit differently compared to earlier in the season. Lately he's been played as a 10 (which you could argue he played as before), but in the pressing he's typically higher up pressing the CBs (although close to man-marking Rodri yesterday). This seems to work better as he has good stamina and can lead a consistent press, but also that it reduces his flaw of positional discipline, which has allowed opposing teams to play through our middle a bit too easily at times.

Also the injury to Silva has perhaps helped him in the sense that we should be able to play a higher line in games we are "supposed" to control. Silva has been our best CB for the last couple of seasons but he's finally starting to show his age. With two faster CBs we should be able to play a higher line and reducing the space between the lines when defending without being too vulnerable to a ball over the top.

Still has to figure out how to fit Nkunku in I guess. Gallagher's work rate is close to a necessity at the moment, and Palmer is nailed on on the right. Jackson despite his finishing seems to be a handful and is actually not terrible in the actual build up, which leaves the LW spot for either Nkunku or Sterling. I'd probably rather see Nkunku there than Sterling at the moment, but for some reason Sterling pops up with a few goals and assists on the semi-regular so I can see why he's in even though he's insanely selfish in how he plays.

Hope Poch coaches Mudryk also. You'd of course expect more of a finished product considering the price paid, but I feel like with some basic instructions in defensive work and attacking movement he could be a handful coming on fresh against defenders that are in the final third of the game. Might be hopium though.

Nicely put by Poch, put that little bit of pressure and doubt out there.

Not that it will make any difference.

We need to lose on Sunday but by playing well and being screwed over by the ref. Another penalty shoot out loss is the best case scenario.

Getting into the 3rd rate euro competition will feck us over in a few ways.

I usually don't like the term 'fraud', but if it is to apply to a single 'top-level' manager, it has to be him.

Very poor once more.

Probably the worst final he's ever lost, certainly compared to the ones he had at Spurs.

Chelsea choked that big time.

First time I've thought he won't make next season now given they're also 11th in the league and little prospect of any European football qualification so massive failure compared to what I thought they'd do when he was appointed in May with all of pre season to work with them.

That was what, Liverpool’s fourth choice XI + VVD? So embarrassing

Lost a cup final to a group of random children in red shirts.

Surely one of the biggest bottlers to have ever graced the game.

Their display in the final 30 minutes must have been one of the worst I've ever seen from a top team. Couldn't come close to beating Liverpool's under 18s. Absolutely pathetic.

The one thing you can’t do is let VVD score from the near post and who is tasked with defending that zone….Mudryk.

I thought that our loss against Liverpool when they played kids was embarrassing but this is another level. He really is a top class loser.

Probably the most humiliating defeat of his managerial career.

Think he'll be gone after this too, can't see Chelsea fans ever taking to him

Surely can’t get another season, can he?

Bottom half of the Premier League and trophyless again. Awful

Probably the most humiliating defeat of his managerial career.

Think he'll be gone after this too, can't see Chelsea fans ever taking to him

I dunno. Failing to win the French league with the FUT team of a 9 year old who has thieved mum's credit card was pretty good.