Pochettino | Agrees to be US National Team Coach

Always interesting to me how it seems like it was always close, but never materialised (Poch to United).

In 2016 we went for Mourinho while Fergie reportedly wanted Poch
January-April 2019 linked with Pochettino but in the end made Ole permanent manager
January 2020 - again Poch linked with United
October-November 2020 - same but comeback at Everton saved Ole's job
December 2021-April 2022 - he was one of 2 candidates but club went with ten Hag
May-June 2024 - he was a candidate yet again but club decided to keep ten Hag

Now Pochettino taking US job basically means we won't go for him when/if ten Hag gets sacked and think most people on here will be happy with that. Still think he did a solid job at Chelsea last season and it was surprising when they decided to sack him.

Honestly? He's done nothing for so long. He's a busted flush. Are you sure you're not Amadaeus in disguise?

What's he ever achieved in the game? United were never close to getting him in at any point.

What a fall from grace.

The man has no ambition.

Was hoping he would come to United for a little while but thankfully it won't happen now.

As an American, this excites me. He’s a massive improvement on Berhalter. I was expecting a good ol’ boys pick.

I never liked him but it's a great hire for the US. Way better than any coach I expected them to hire and it's no contest between him and the nepotism guy.

Huge fall off in ambition- but a massive coup for the US (probably a sizeable income as well). Decent coach all things considered and does generally well in tournament-style games.

can someone tl-dr this amadeus chap for me?

A genuinely unnatural support and love of Poch, which led to him getting involved in multiple arguments with Spurs and Chelsea fans, as well as Man Utd fans, about the genius of Poch.

By the end, it may have become parody, who knows, as he attacked literally everyone else (owners, players, board etc) as the causes of Poch's failings.

Honestly a really weird fall though, Poch did seem to be turning it around at Chelsea somewhat towards the end and you feel he could get a better job.

Perhaps he's done with club football though.

A genuinely unnatural support and love of Poch, which led to him getting involved in multiple arguments with Spurs and Chelsea fans, as well as Man Utd fans, about the genius of Poch.

By the end, it may have become parody, who knows, as he attacked literally everyone else (owners, players, board etc) as the causes of Poch's failings.

Honestly a really weird fall though, Poch did seem to be turning it around at Chelsea somewhat towards the end and you feel he could get a better job.

Perhaps he's done with club football though.
They also claimed to be a United fan but immediately after Chelsea won against United they were in this thread bigging up Poch.

They also claimed to be a United fan but immediately after Chelsea won against United they were in this thread bigging up Poch.

Ah was he? Classic amadeus.

What was weird is he wasn't Argie as far as I'm aware which would have made things slightly more understandable.

What was weird is he wasn't Argie as far as I'm aware which would have made things slightly more understandable.
There’s only one thing Amadeus loved more than United, Chelsea and Poch and that is attention.

Some people are just like that.

I remember on a different forum there was a "Chelsea fan" who was hard-core Mourinho and lost the plot when we best his United 4-0

can someone tl-dr this amadeus chap for me?

redcafe-amadaeus-meme.png

Last edited:
It’s not a bad gig, to be fair. Less pressure, better work life balance, guaranteed big tournament experience. I’d have gone for that as well, after the Chelsea fiasco.

So there was a guy whose love for one manager transcended supporting specific clubs/players?

wtf, this is even stranger than people who support different clubs based on where their favourite player plays.

There was a guy who supported Man Utd, Madrid and then Juve simply because that's where Ronaldo went.

This takes that even a step further.

Strange choice. Like what would be viewed as a successful WC for the US team on the pitch?

Mauricio Pochettino says he's so excited to take over as USA head coach ahead of the 2026 World Cup and "We need to believe we can win the World Cup"

Odds on them not even getting out of the group?

Strange choice. Like what would be viewed as a successful WC for the US team on the pitch?
I heard 1/4s or semis would be considered a good WC. Semis at this point seem unreachable but the young kids they have now should be much better by ‘26 so maybe there’s a chance.