Pochettino | Agrees to be US National Team Coach

That doesn't really mean much. I watch most of the games and basic stats doesn't make that football more appealing.

That is fine.

A lot of football experts are seeing what I m seeing. What is going on at Chelsea is completely strange because they are much better than their position in the league. A lot of the issue is what I mentioned and soon their performance will match their result, if their attackers can get things right.

Also Pochettino needs to drop Gallagher and Thiago and try giving jackson a better supporting number 10 than enzo, plus a natural fullback and move colwill to cb along with diasasi or badiashile. His current system has them fourth with underlying stats, but I believe just a few tweaks could result in small increase in performance

I know this isn't easy to understand, but I m just doing my best to help others understand it.

Last edited:

That is fine.

A lot of football experts are seeing what I m seeing. What is going on at Chelsea is completely strange because they are much better than their position in the league. A lot of the issue is what I mentioned and soon their performance will match their result, if their attackers can get things right.

Also Pochettino needs to drop Gallagher and Thiago and try giving jackson a better supporting number 10 than enzo, plus a natural fullback and move colwill to cb along with diasasi or badiashile. His current system has them fourth with underlying stats, but I believe just a few tweaks could result in small increase in performance

I know this isn't easy to understand, but I m just doing my best to help others understand it.

They "should" be where they are. If you don't finish your chances, they don't count to the result and Chelsea haven't finished their chances for too long for it to just be bad luck.

Putting Enzo at the 10 tells me he hasn't got a clue. Hopefully he (enzo) leaves the sinking ship next year, he deserves better.

They "should" be where they are. If you don't finish your chances, they don't count to the result and Chelsea haven't finished their chances for too long for it to just be bad luck.
It isn't just bad luck, it is horrific luck. I haven't seen such horrific luck ever in football.

I know xg isn't for every body, but it is the best measure of the quality of chances created each game. Chelsea has scored 5 goals from an xg of nearly 12. That is crazy because it means the midfield is doing their job, but the attack has been letting the team down.

But I wouldn't even say the attack has been letting them down because jackson is making the right movement, has some amazing off ball stats, it is just finishing.

Like I mentioned, it is weird, and I have never seen anything like it in football before.

Putting Enzo at the 10 tells me he hasn't got a clue. Hopefully he (enzo) leaves the sinking ship next year, he deserves better.

I believe that is more forced than anything. With Nkunku and Carni injuries and they just bought palmer on deadline day (and he isn't a natural 10 either), poch is limited to what he can do. In addition, Gallagher has been good for him, so it is hard to drop him. It is a tricky situation that a top coach has to deal with. With palmer, getting more comfortable, I could see him playing that inverted 10 role along with sterling in a 4-3-3 with caicedo in the pivot and enzo and gallagher as the 8.

However, their statistics has been good in their current system, I could understand if Pochettino continues deploying the same gameplan and hoping that jackson or now Borja (who hasn't played a game in a full year ) find their finishing touch.

When you look at football beyond black and white, you start to see things more than the result.

That is fine.

It’s very easy for anyone to understand, you’re saying if you look at specific statistics and ignore the results, Poch is great. That’s awesome for stats guys and is a sign that things should improve but it’s no guarantee.

This always happens every season in the PL, this isn’t some special or weird scenario, there’ll always be a team who is unlucky, who should score more than they do etc. vice versa there’s always team riding their luck but it all evens out by the end of the season.

It isn't just bad luck, it is horrific luck. I haven't seen such horrific luck ever in football.

I know xg isn't for every body, but it is the best measure of the quality of chances created each game. Chelsea has scored 5 goals from an xg of nearly 12. That is crazy because it means the midfield is doing their job, but the attack has been letting the team down.

But I wouldn't even say the attack has been letting them down because jackson is making the right movement, has some amazing off ball stats, it is just finishing.

Like I mentioned, it is weird, and I have never seen anything like it in football before.

I believe that is more forced than anything. With Nkunku and Carni injuries and they just bought palmer on deadline day (and he isn't a natural 10 either), poch is limited to what he can do. In addition, Gallagher has been good for him, so it is hard to drop him. It is a tricky situation that a top coach has to deal with. With palmer, getting more comfortable, I could see him playing that inverted 10 role along with sterling in a 4-3-3 with caicedo in the pivot and enzo and gallagher as the 8.

However, their statistics has been good in their current system, I could understand if Pochettino continues deploying the same gameplan and hoping that jackson or now Borja (who hasn't played a game in a full year ) find their finishing touch.

When you look at football beyond black and white, you start to see things more than the result.
Too obvious. I think you're losing your wumming edge.

It’s very easy for anyone to understand, you’re saying if you look at specific statistics and ignore the results, Poch is great. That’s awesome for stats guys and is a sign that things should improve but it’s no guarantee.

This always happens every season in the PL, this isn’t some special or weird scenario, there’ll always be a team who is unlucky, who should score more than they do etc. vice versa there’s always team riding their luck but it all evens out by the end of the season.

if they continue playing like this and their confidence doesn’t erode, their performance will match their result. This doesn’t always happen every season. Typically the best team are ontop of these stats. This season so far seems an anomaly with regards to chelsea position and their performance.

This is of course not an exact science, as expected goals data doesn’t include a lot of factors, such as game state and dangerous periods of possession that don’t lead to shots.

a massive caveat by the 'experts' that know full well that these stats also DO NOT tell the whole story.

As you seem to be grasping onto stats like some lost Poch baby love child, let me explain that football is 50% skill and 50% luck, the managers job is to eliminate the element of luck as much as possible.
So far Poch has failed to do this, I keep hearing the words 'Chelsea are unlucky ', but have you ever heard the phrase 'you make your own luck'?
In football never a truer word has been spoken, and currently Chelsea are not creating their own luck, Poch isn't eliminating that luck element either.

Stats are great, but holding onto a small 6 game sample (a too small a size to grasp anything remotely accurate) like it's showing Chelsea as being this amazing team is getting embarrassing now, granted it's all a wum but it's infiltrating and permeating several threads now.

if they continue playing like this and their confidence doesn’t erode, their performance will match their result. This doesn’t always happen every season. Typically the best team are ontop of these stats. This season so far seems an anomaly with regards to chelsea position and their performance.
This is peak confirmation bias.

Personally I think xG has a way to go but it’s at least an indicator. Kind of feel latter Wenger Arsenal vibes at the moment, playing nice stuff but there’s no killer instinct, it’s early days and I’ve no doubt form will pick up but will it be enough for CL finish.

This is of course not an exact science, as expected goals data doesn’t include a lot of factors, such as game state and dangerous periods of possession that don’t lead to shots.

a massive caveat by the 'experts' that know full well that these stats also DO NOT tell the whole story.

As you seem to be grasping onto stats like some lost Poch baby love child, let me explain that football is 50% skill and 50% luck, the managers job is to eliminate the element of luck as much as possible.
So far Poch has failed to do this, I keep hearing the words 'Chelsea are unlucky ', but have you ever heard the phrase 'you make your own luck'?
In football never a truer word has been spoken, and currently Chelsea are not creating their own luck, Poch isn't eliminating that luck element either.

Stats are great, but holding onto a small 6 game sample (a too small a size to grasp anything remotely accurate) like it's showing Chelsea as being this amazing team is getting embarrassing now, granted it's all a wum but it's infiltrating and permeating several threads now.

how you eliminate luck like injuries, finishing and refereeing bad decisions overnight? What Pochettino is doing is right, and the only way to eliminate that is just continue doing what is working and ensure the player confidence remains high. just watch the video and argue toward the points these experts are making

Just for posterity, here's the current xg table:

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Must have stopped looking down the table when he got to Chelsea, because the unimaginable, never seen before bad luck of underperforming of xg is shared with Everton and Brentford.

how you eliminate luck like injuries, finishing and refereeing bad decisions overnight? What Pochettino is doing is right, and the only way to eliminate that is just continue doing what is working and ensure the player confidence remains high. just watch the video and argue toward the points these experts are making
The video is just a rehash of the article, just a journalist talking about the very same article, which has a humongous caveat at the start stating that football isn't just about stats.

Seriously, 6 games is a small sample size to use things like expected goals/points etc anyhow.

For example, this could indeed be the best football that Chelsea play this season, they may well have already hit top form yet they only have one win.
They may now hit a slump of poor form and end up losing even more games whereby their stats are awful.

You are assuming that these stats are the mean, that this is the normality for Chelsea, based on six games you can it make that assumption as it's too small as sample to know for sure, especially when Chelsea overall have been poor for the last 30 odd games.

Just for posterity, here's the current xg table:

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Must have stopped looking down the table when he got to Chelsea, because the unimaginable, never seen before bad luck of underperforming of xg is shared with Everton and Brentford.

Yeah, we are severely underperforming in terms of xG and xP so we must be a top 4 challenger too.

There is only so much a manager can do when the players are missing chance after chance. A managers job is to get his team playing well. You can't blame a manager if the keepers keep dropping clangers that lose games and you can't blame them if all their strikers keep missing sitters.

There is only so much a manager can do when the players are missing chance after chance. A managers job is to get his team playing well. You can't blame a manager if the keepers keep dropping clangers that lose games and you can't blame them if all their strikers keep missing sitters.

yes you can, he choose a shit striker, or he can't coach them to finish their chance

The bucks stops at the manager.

You can't blame him if it's a one off or a freak miss, but consistently missing chances are on the manager's lack of foresight

Bad finishing isn't bad luck. It's just bad football.

yes you can, he choose a shit striker, or he can't coach them to finish their chance

The bucks stops at the manager.

You can't blame him if it's a one off or a freak miss, but consistently missing chances are on the manager's lack of foresight

Tbf, this has been true for Chelsea for the last 3 managers. Its the fault of their ridiculous recruitment strategy.

1. The samplesize you base your argument on is laughable even with a good measurement device. xG have huge flaws over a low sample and is close to being irrelevant over 6 matches.

2. Chelseas total xG+xGA over the 5 comparable matches this season is 0,16 lower than last season, which still means nothing.

Last edited:
1. The samplesize you base your argument on is laughable even with a good measurement device. xG have huge flaws over a low sample and is close to being irrelevant over 6 matches.

2. Chelseas total xG+xGA over the 5 comparable matches this season is 0,16 lower than last season, which still means nothing.

Why are people talking about sample size? We are only discussing chelsea first 6 games. That is the correct sample size to assess their performance for the first .... 6 games. This is one of the weirdest argument I have seen. Xg has flaws but they are a much better measurement than personal opinions which a lot are spouting. Chelsea underlying stats number that are not related to results but more so performance are better than last season, not sure where you are getting your information from for that.

Bad finishing isn't bad luck. It's just bad football.
:wenger:. Ok, the arguments here are getting weird. I will not entertain it no more. So, if a team is dominate in possession, creating load of chances, but the attackers cant finish, that constitute bad football? Ok, yes....yes you are right. You can believe that.

:wenger:. Ok, the arguments here are getting weird. I will not entertain it no more. So, if a team is dominate in possession, creating load of chances, but the attackers cant finish, that constitute bad football? Ok, yes....yes you are right. You can believe that.

It doesn't ruin the whole performance but it means they're not playing that well. Finishing is part of playing so bad finishing means part of the performance is bad. It isn't luck.

If a restaurant made great food but on the way to the tables, the waiters dropped it on the floor every time, noone would say "Well the restaurants is perfect but they're having bad luck".

Because they think xG magically becomes a good stat only after 38 games.

It's never that good of a stat. Teams can under/overperform their XG by about a dozen points over 38 games. There's no reason to believe teams will magically improve or decline because of their Xg.

Many are seeing it. When luck start going his way and their board get the recruitment right, people will see how he is >= pep and klopp.

Unfortunate in the league so far, but so far he has outplayed all the team he has played so far this season and the only team to have won xg every game. United definitely missed out by not getting him, but hopefully we get the next appointment right.

Many are seeing it. When luck start going his way and their board get the recruitment right, people will see how he is >= pep and klopp.

Unfortunate in the league so far, but so far he has outplayed all the team he has played so far this season and the only team to have won xg every game. United definitely missed out by not getting him, but hopefully we get the next appointment right.

You’re not even trying anymore.

Look, Pochettino is a good manager, but he is simply not on the same level as Pep or Klopp.

Look, Pochettino is a good manager, but he is simply not on the same level as Pep or Klopp.
Wouldn't say that, but things like that wont be apparent till he continues winning the tactical battle against them. Chelsea is a good platform for people to realize that especially when they have fully fit team and upgrade their striker and goalkeeper.