Pochettino | Agrees to be US National Team Coach

I had never seen a super expensive side where I couldn't recognize most of the players' faces. I wonder if that's Poch's fault or just the owner's.

It started as soon as Boehly came in and has been happening under Tuchel, Potter and Poch. It must be the two owners. Its an odd way to do it.

It's like they see the squad as a portfolio and want a load of investments that may come good but don't seem to get that whether they come good or not depends on their performances in a team game so the team has to make sense.

Why is poch so highly rated? The last good thing he did was get into the CL final via an absolute fluke and then get battered in the final.
This was in 2019 btw

He made Spurs consistent champions league qualifiers and got them to their best league positions. Plus he did well at Southampton.

The Poch hate on here is so small time, he was great at Southampton and Spurs not sure why we need to revel in his struggles. He seems like a decent guy.

It’s clearly a way of justifying going for Ten Hag and not him, but it’s not really necessary.

Poch did well at Spurs which means he is guaranteed to be linked with United (so was Bale, Modric, Kane, Son, Walker, Ali, Derek, Ericsen etc). The more he was linked with United, the more people sceptical of him argued against him until it got to the point that a decent part of this forum were arguing that he was the biggest fraud since Barnie Madoff.

Like most people on the Internet, they want to be proven right so will be quick to blame him for failures and explain away any successes.

The Poch hate on here is so small time, he was great at Southampton and Spurs not sure why we need to revel in his struggles. He seems like a decent guy.

It’s clearly a way of justifying going for Ten Hag and not him, but it’s not really necessary.
That’s what sadly happened. There was/is a group of staunch Ole supporters who were frothing at mouths when he was linked with the United job (which is ridiculous when you think of how well he did at Spurs) that ever since he’s taken a hammering on here. I have zero doubt if you look through the Poch PSG thread and then the names in here, it will be the same 10 or so posters driving it.

I’m hesitant to criticise him too much despite a really bad start simply because they are in the same situation as us with injuries. I think I saw it’s now 12 out, not even the state backed clubs could shrug that off. That said pressure will only grow in him now and I don’t think he’ll last unless there’s at least some uptick in form.That’s where I think ETh is showing a bit more, we’re not playing good football, I mean it’s borderline appalling, but we’re still limping along versus Chelsea who by all accounts are playing some lovely possession footy but without the goal threat.

You must have missed the part where i stated that All that is left is to fix the attack and goalkeeper. It is right there at bottom and never changed. It was obvious the attack was never fixed, and Chelsea still didn't do nothing to fix it going into the season.

Rashford and Bruno were available. You don't need a goalscoring striker if you have other attackers contributing. The problem is, Chelsea has no other attackers that can contribute to goals beside nkunku who is injured. I see perhaps palmer as well, but he is still young.

You surely not comparing that team to this chelsea team?

Not complaining about the midfield. It is the attack. The midfield needed a fix after letting go of kante, loftus, jorginho, kovacic, mount and so much more, so what they did was good when it comes to their midfield, but it seems all their budget went there instead of where it is needed the most.

It was a big overhaul, so perhaps their plan to do it over multiple windows. It is still criminal that they didn't sign a top striker

Mbappe and Kane had amazing season under him. Not sure what you on about. Jackson was doing well until nkunku injury as well.
Isn't a good coach supposed to cover for the deficiencies of his team? Chelsea spent the most money this summer on a team that was already one of the most expensively assembled in the league and Pochettino hasn't managed to get a tune out of them.

I don't particularly rate the Chelsea attack but Pochettino's reputation from Spurs was all about developing young players into better ones. Why is Pochettino there if the parameters are now that he has to be a chequebook manager? The likes of Palmer, Mudryk and Jackson are almost £200m worth of talent. If he's not capable of getting results with them, why is he there?

seems like a lot of the positivity about him stemmed from pre season. When has that ever been a proper barometer of success in the PL? If pre season indicated what’s to come during the season, Andres pereira would be a ballon d’or winner.

Same narrative. Playing good football, creating chances, but can't finish. If anyone understands footballs, this shows a player quality issue.

It will take this chelsea team 10000 attempts to score the goal Bruno scored for us yesterday.

Oops wrong thread meant to be in the chelsea thread

Chelsa aren’tplaying good football though, it’s the same Poch, side, side, back, side, back, then one pass forward abs repeat the process.

Same narrative. Playing good football, creating chances, but can't finish. If anyone understands footballs, this shows a player quality issue.

It will take this chelsea team 10000 attempts to score the goal Bruno scored for us yesterday.

Oops wrong thread meant to be in the chelsea thread

They aren’t playing good football, pretty much same as under Potter and a step back from Tuchel.

the xD means shit considering many teams would be happy to sit back limit the space and give the ball to Chelsea as they know they can’t hit a barn door.

You must have missed the part where i stated that All that is left is to fix the attack and goalkeeper. It is right there at bottom and never changed. It was obvious the attack was never fixed, and Chelsea still didn't do nothing to fix it going into the season.
They spent about £80/90m on Jackson and Nkunku!

They aren’t playing good football, pretty much same as under Potter and a step back from Tuchel.

the xD means shit considering many teams would be happy to sit back limit the space and give the ball to Chelsea as they know they can’t hit a barn door.
I totally agree. It’s why Enzo only seems to shine further away from the opposition box he is. It’s the space that left from the opposition sitting back letting Chelsea run out of ideas and open up from the little pressure they face. 120m for a player who can dictate play 100 yards away from goal. It’s absurd.
The one good thing that’s happened is that it’s ruined the Chelsea wind up fans on social media / YouTube. It’s glorious.

How long until we see Lampard back as interim?

This guy is more David Brent than Brendan Rogers. First the lemons, now this classic…

One example: today, with Mudryk, I like to play hitting the crossbar from outside the box. He said to me today: ‘No, I’m not going to play any more with you because always you win.’ I said: ‘Yes, because I have the belief – the balance between belief and quality I know very well because I am 50 years old and you are still young.’ Today was the first time that we draw.

:lol:

This guy is more David Brent than Brendan Rogers. First the lemons, now this classic…

Motivated Mudryk only to release this to the press, and now killed the guy confidence by exposing his lack of confidence and quality (losing to 50 year old chubby former not so great journeyman)

Isn't a good coach supposed to cover for the deficiencies of his team? Chelsea spent the most money this summer on a team that was already one of the most expensively assembled in the league and Pochettino hasn't managed to get a tune out of them.

I don't particularly rate the Chelsea attack but Pochettino's reputation from Spurs was all about developing young players into better ones. Why is Pochettino there if the parameters are now that he has to be a chequebook manager? The likes of Palmer, Mudryk and Jackson are almost £200m worth of talent. If he's not capable of getting results with them, why is he there?

He is, that is why chelsea stats are very impressive for a team with only one win. The problem is the players mentality and quality. They have very low footballing iq when it comes to the final third. The build up is good, but then when it comes in the box, things just fall apart.

Pochettino is working on improving that mindset, but it isn't an overnight fix and it is an ability that is hard to learn. An easy fix would be just to sign a quality attacker that doesn't have to learn this trait, but chelsea didn't go that route. But, it seems they might this January and sign oshimen or toney, who don't need much Guidance.

It took Pochettino awhile to develop mbappe, Kane, ali And son and so on. It definitely didn't happen in 6 games or so. So these players need time and eventually, they should come good.

Chelsa aren’tplaying good football though, it’s the same Poch, side, side, back, side, back, then one pass forward abs repeat the process.

That stats doesn't support what you are saying at all. Enzo has the most progressive pass in the league, Sterling was in the top 5 of take on, chelsea had the most possession, is top 5 in xg, and so on. Chelsea are playing good football despite you thinking otherwise. They definitely not playing poor football

They spent about £80/90m on Jackson and Nkunku!

One is injured, and the other is unproven. The attack isn't fixed still they get a quality striker and a replacement for sterling.

Last edited:
Will.be interesting to see the response to his Madueke comments here...

He'll probably be gone by the next international break. They've got Arsenal and Tottenham coming up, will get pretty ugly for him. Especially considering Chelsea have only won 2 games since Potter got the boot.

Does that Poch fan boy who plays a wum tiresome routine have fan boys of his own now?

i’m a big fan of his. it takes someone truly special to be so overtly wummy, yet still rustle so many jimmys.

Who did he develop?

Kane was already set to step up to first team football before he came in. Son was bought in off 2 good seasons in Germany. Alli was a punt that worked for a year or two, before he dropped off a cliff. He put them into the team together and got them playing to their strengths, but it's not like he took them from nowhere and built them up to be world class.

Who did he develop?

Kane was already set to step up to first team football before he came in. Son was bought in off 2 good seasons in Germany. Alli was a punt that worked for a year or two, before he dropped off a cliff. He put them into the team together and got them playing to their strengths, but it's not like he took them from nowhere and built them up to be world class.

That's a pretty high bar, what players were taken from nowhere and built to be world class by a manager?

That's a pretty high bar, what players were taken from nowhere and built to be world class by a manager?

That's not the point. He didn't really develop amy players, a lot of his signings at Spuds were duds.

What young players did Pochettino actually develop?

Not many.

Who did he develop?

Before Poch arrived Kane was only a bit-part player with less than 1000 competitive minutes played for Spurs across all comps and just a handful of goals scored. He may well have been a promising lad for his age (20-21 at the time) but I doubt there were too many people who actually viewed him as certain superstar in the making. He even had failed loans at Norwich and Leicester ffs.

Poch absolutely deserves a lot of credit for Kane's development. When Poch started out at Spurs they still had more experienced and proven striking options in Adebayor and Soldado, who I'm sure lots of managers would have fancied instead, but it was Pochettino's decision to have Kane as his first choice striker from day one and he scored 30+ goals in all comps during the first season already and never looked back since. To understate Poch's role in Kane's development is a bit silly, and this is even coming from someone who's never particularly rated Poch as a manager.

Who did he develop?

Plenty of the players Pochettino inherited or brought in at Spurs became better players under him. I don't think that can even be disputed. Kane was initially brought in by Sherwood but continued to hit higher levels under Pochettino. Son was by no means a guaranteed success either else he would've ended up at a better team than Spurs.

Spurs qualified for the Champions League 4 years in a row under Pochettino between 2015 and 2019. I don't think we've even managed 4 in a row since Ferguson retired. Pretty much every notable player involved in that team during that period improved under him. Eriksen, Alli, Dembele, Walker, Rose, Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Some of their success more fleeting than others but he got the best out of all of them at one point.

You don't need to build players up to be 'world class' in order to develop them either. It's such a vague, generic term that it's kind of meaningless anyway. Pochettino's work since 2019 has been less than convincing and I'm not sure he will manage to do it again with this Chelsea side but it doesn't make sense to discredit his body of work with that Spurs team.

I don't think we've even managed 4 in a row since Ferguson retired.

Thought about this.... the best is only 2 in a row under Jose (2016/17 Europa/6th, 2017/18 2nd) and Ole (2019-20, 3rd, and 2020-21, 2nd). Shocking really.
Moyes didn't come close, LvG got 4th and then 5th on goal difference (if it had worked out that season, it still wouldn't have been 4 in a row since the next qualification was by winning Europa!)

Bit pointless talking about who Poch signed when he was at Spurs because it was Mitchell who was behind that. Good success rate too actually.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he links up again with Poch soon at Chelsea.

Last 30 games Poch has managed teams in the Premier League

Won 7 Drew 9 Lost 14 points 30 and in those 30 games only 36 goals was scored so was more that just the current Chelsea whereby his sides were struggling for goals.

Furthermore the 7 wins was all at home against Palace twice,Huddersfield,Brighton,Southampton,Villa and Luton)

Last away Premier league win for him was against Fulham so perhaps a lucky omen for him this Monday?

That stats doesn't support what you are saying at all. Enzo has the most progressive pass in the league, Sterling was in the top 5 of take on, chelsea had the most possession, is top 5 in xg, and so on. Chelsea are playing good football despite you thinking otherwise. They definitely not playing poor football
That doesn't really mean much. I watch most of the games and basic stats doesn't make that football more appealing.