Gaming PlayStation 5

Black Myth: Wukong – the summer’s most exciting, and most controversial, video game.

I am, unfortunately, met with very little honest communication when I bring up a report from IGN, which related alleged sexist comments from multiple developers at Game Science, as well as those in leadership roles. I present Ted with the opportunity to address the claims of misogynistic posts, and whether he feels that they represent Game Science’s values. Instead, I am shut down with a hasty “no comment” from their UK PR representative, and then, after a long wait, given a longer statement of “no comment” via Ted’s translator. I am then told that Game Science’s US PR agency will follow up later with a prepared statement, only to be sent the following: “Game Science is focused on the demo at this time and will only answer questions related to gameplay.”

The same thing happened to an IGN reporter at a demo in LA last month. It is disappointing that Game Science is opting to invite journalists to speak to them and play the game, but refusing to answer their questions. Perhaps there is no reassurance to offer. A generous reading of the situation would be that this inexperienced studio is petrified of saying the wrong thing. Yet in failing to say anything at all, Game Science is also failing to distance itself (and its game) from the multiple crude, disparaging and misogynistic comments attributed to its employees and leadership.
Was looking forward to this game.

Enjoy. Did you not play the original?
Nope! Ratchet rift apart was my first one. Since then, I've finished Up Your Arsenal. Thought this remake would be better than playing the og. I enjoy these games. The story does zero for me, though.

PlayStation‘s Bungie, the developer behind “Destiny 2” and the originator of the “Halo” franchise, is laying off 17% of its workforce.

Bungie CEO Pete Parsons announced the news in a letter to employees Wednesday, revealing that 220 staff members would be let go as a result of continuing restructuring and cost-cutting at the developer.

An additional 150 of Bungie’s remaining employees (currently totaling just over 850 staff members) will be moved into other roles at PlayStation over the next few years, according to Parsons, and the studio is also looking to “spin out one of our incubation projects – an action game set in a brand-new science-fantasy universe – to form a new studio within PlayStation Studios to continue its promising development. ”

So I went ahead and bought Helldivers 2. I usually only care for single player games but I’m tempted to try this out and I believe it has some additional content dropping soon. Hope it’s good.

I was contemplating getting NMS because I’ve heard it’s a lot better than it used to be but it’s gone off discount.

After reading such good things I played and finished 'Thank goodness you're here', today. It got maybe two chuckles out of me, at most. Overhyped. Just not that funny. And that's all the game is. Alleged humour.

Would recommend it to check out if it ever comes to PS Plus, but that's about it.

Remnant 2 is fantastic. My favourite game of 2023
I second this. Missed the first so knew nothing about it till it dropped on the free games list but I’m loving it. It’s the perfect game to pick up and play for an hour or so.

When you’re not in the mood for something more cerebral and taxing like From Software stuff and you just wanna have fun and blast stuff. I seldom play multiplayer games but I’ve played tons of multiplayer Remnant 2.

How much of the reviews for the big game releases are paid and why are IGN and gamespot scores so close on well reviewed games?

How much of the reviews for the big game releases are paid and why are IGN and gamespot scores so close on well reviewed games?
Stopped listening after baby inc, I just watch reviews from independent Youtubers.

I'll buy it on disc, I can trade it later if I don't like it - was looking forward to black myth wukong until i found out it was only digital.

Edit: still might buy it... it look right up my street

Same with albums, I was remember to grab a digital version of the album if it's top draw.

Not paid, just game reviews in general score higher than films. Metacritic had to even change their review scale for games.

Not paid, just game reviews in general score higher than films. Metacritic had to even change their review scale for games.
Yeah. As an ex games reviewer. I can attest that the expectation for high scores in games reviews has always been a thing.

A 6 out of 10 movie is still considered decent but a 6 out of 10 games review is considered somewhat of a flop. Which doesn’t leave you much leeway really.

And though paying for good reviews isn’t a thing (or at least wasn’t when I was in the industry). There’s definitely some pressure applied by the games company to not score a game too low, especially if they’ve granted you an exclusive first review etc.

I pretty much ignore most reviews, especially from the major sites. They're definitely paid for and told what to say. They'll love something in one game, but hate the exact same mechanic in another game for no reason apart from they got more money.

They're scared to absolutely trash a game from a big studio because then they may not get first dibs on the review next time, or the company won't gift them shite. The only time they do is when the public is already expecting a shite game anyway, even then they don't go all in.

They'll generally give a great review to a game which has a lot of excitement around it, just so they don't get backlash from the public.

It's a proper weird system. I usually just watch a few gameplay videos and make my own mind up these days.

I pretty much ignore most reviews, especially from the major sites. They're definitely paid for and told what to say. They'll love something in one game, but hate the exact same mechanic in another game for no reason apart from they got more money.

They're scared to absolutely trash a game from a big studio because then they may not get first dibs on the review next time, or the company won't gift them shite. The only time they do is when the public is already expecting a shite game anyway, even then they don't go all in.

They'll generally give a great review to a game which has a lot of excitement around it, just so they don't get backlash from the public.

It's a proper weird system. I usually just watch a few gameplay videos and make my own mind up these days.
This whole idea that the enitre reviewing apparatus lives on publishers paying them off is just weird. There's never been any evidence of it and it just comes across as disgruntled gamers looking for reasons why their opinion isn't validated. You're also contradicting yourself within the same post. First you're saying they are definitely paid off and told what to say, and then you say they give reviews to avoid public backlash. So which is it? As for inconsistencies between reviews, different reviewers can have different opinions, yes even on the same site.

I don't necessarily like sites like IGN or Gamespot and the way they score games, and generally go elsewhere for my reviews, but I get so tired of this whole narrative.

Again as someone who worked in the industry I can state categorically that this is false. They’re not paid or told what to say. There’d be no need for reviewers to do any writing if we were paid for our scores and told what to write.

Similarly the freebies you get as a reviewer are sent out to all on the mailing list regardless of your size whether you’re a huge industry magazine or website or an independent reviewer. And the only requirement for continuing to get sent stuff is making sure that you regularly review their titles.

And like @Ainu said there’s no evidence of said claims and most discrepancy’s can be attributed to personal taste. Look at the wildly differing opinions on game rating right her in this PS5 thread for an example of this or even more exaggerated discrepancies in the player threads.

Need some suggestions, I have a friend who is really not into videogames but recently we tried It Takes Two and she absolutely loved it. What else is there in the same style?

Need some suggestions, I have a friend who is really not into videogames but recently we tried It Takes Two and she absolutely loved it. What else is there in the same style?
Not as good but there's A Way Out.

Or also Unravel. Maybe Borderlands.

Is there any prospect of a price drop on this in the nearish future? I had hoped it would come with the slim but no luck.

Is there any prospect of a price drop on this in the nearish future? I had hoped it would come with the slim but no luck.
Maybe when the Pro comes out end of the year but I doubt it, especially after the cuts to VR2. If there are cuts, mid-October (Call of Duty) to the end of November (Black Friday) is when they'd probably be.

Anyone still playing Helldivers 2? It’s such a blast. I’m only at level 7, so I usually join in on recently started matches and often follow the lead of others. One thing - they don’t really tell you when we’ve liberated a plant right? As in, ideally there would be some special announcement for that.

Ok this is actually huge for me. I love the Timesplitters games.

Cult of the Lamb, Lego SW, Ender Lillies and Plucky Squire (looks great) will the the ones to play for me from this month. Ideally we’d get one big budget game but these are a fine collection of games.

Obviously Witcher 3 is arguably the greatest game ever made but I’ve only played it 5 times. They should have given the complete edition with Dlcs though.

Indiana Jones game is coming to PS5 next year, that's a nice boost.
Doesn’t look great to me tbh - albeit just based on mere trailers. The animations especially during the first person perspective look clunky and the writiing comes across as iffy. Doesn’t help that it’ll always get compared to Uncharted.

It's clearly going for a different style of gameplay comapred to Uncharted and Tomb Raider, so I don't see the problem.

Really bummed about the games leaving PS Plus in Extra.

Spiritfairer and Nier Replicant are both games I was planning on playing so will have to play them now. But the big one is Forbidden West which they really don't need to remove - I was holding on to that as the one really big game on the service that I had kept in my backlog. Will have to play that now within the next month too.

Edit : Midnight Suns too.

So essentially one has put down the games they're playing and play these quickly instead.