Gaming PlayStation 5

You won’t be able to play anything else on it. It is supposed to allow you to play your PS5 games when you are not at home, that’s all. It’s not supposed to have its own games and probably won’t even be able to run any. I think it was even mentioned to be more of a PS5 accessory.

OK, thanks. Probably misread that part. I think it will sell well, but it won't be the success Sony is anticipating.

Many games still don’t run 60 FPS / 4K and you need to pick between performance and fidelity modes. It would probably allow you to play all games in fidelity mode at full frame rate.
That makes sense. To be honest the RT features in most games on the PS5 are barely noticeable for me and I don't feel I'm missing out picking performance mode.

Honestly, none of that is enough to get me to buy a PS5 pro. It's only VR that got me to get the PS4 pro. It would have to be that again, and even then.....

That makes sense. To be honest the RT features in most games on the PS5 are barely noticeable for me and I don't feel I'm missing out picking performance mode.

They'll probably boost the RT performance quite a bit so they can make proper RT an option rather than just mess around with shadows / reflections like they're doing at the moment. That's something they can put in games without it affecting the standard PS5 at all and the newer AMD chips are a bit better than they were at it.

When it's done well it can really transform a game, but it's very rare on even high end PC's to have things like Global Illumination and the like which is where it really shines.

OK, thanks. Probably misread that part. I think it will sell well, but it won't be the success Sony is anticipating.

Yeah I reckon they will have to re-think the whole concept as in its current form it won’t sell at all. You can already pretty much do the same thing with your mobile phone by using remote play on PlayStation app and attaching one of the controllers you can buy (or simply carry your own PS5 controller to play in a hotel). There’s future for cloud/remote play but it has to well implemented (I think what Microsoft have done so far with Game Pass on that front has been pretty impressive but it is a discussion for another thread).

Handhelds in its original form have pretty much been killed by mobile phones. While I have plenty of nostalgia for GameBoy/PSP I don’t see that format ever returning. Switch has been profoundly successful as a hybrid console but I reckon this is as far as we are going to go into handhelds (even Nintendo have dropped DS line already).

They would be better off going down the Microsoft route and allowing you to stream games on to any device via the cloud rather then having to own the game physically or digitally then stream it from your personal playstation 5.

I’ve been considering getting a game pass subscription again just for the cloud gaming as I often use remote play on my iPad and connect my PS5 controller to it, while remote play is surprisingly solid it’s never gonna be as good as dedicated cloud servers.

Played Horizon Forbidden West for about 20 hours or so a few months back, then gave up on it. Very pretty game but, as with most of these open-world games, there's just too much of it. And the amount of dialogue was ridiculous. Combat was really fun though, and just exploring the world was cool, but there's just so much crammed in that it's overwhelming. And a lot of it is really not interesting at all.

A good example of where the phrase "less is more" should have been applied.

I really enjoyed forbidden west. Im much more interested in the story about Enduring Victory and the old world falling apart than anything to do with the modern day survivors, and there was loads of that

Played Horizon Forbidden West for about 20 hours or so a few months back, then gave up on it. Very pretty game but, as with most of these open-world games, there's just too much of it. And the amount of dialogue was ridiculous. Combat was really fun though, and just exploring the world was cool, but there's just so much crammed in that it's overwhelming. And a lot of it is really not interesting at all.

A good example of where the phrase "less is more" should have been applied.
I completed it but agreed on those points. Don't like it when games shove shit loads of mechanics that you never actually need. I get that some people might have different play styles but the way they introduced stuff was so overwhelming, took a bit of time to just focus on what to do.

Also it seems like from reviews that Aloy still doesn't shut the hell up in this DLC.

I completed it but agreed on those points. Don't like it when games shove shit loads of mechanics that you never actually need. I get that some people might have different play styles but the way they introduced stuff was so overwhelming, took a bit of time to just focus on what to do.

Also it seems like from reviews that Aloy still doesn't shut the hell up in this DLC.

Yeah, a few games do this. They struggle to implement them in an elegant way. Also, the skill tree wasn't great, which is another thing games struggle with. Just trim it down, and make the upgrades worthwhile instead of cramming in more.

I didn't even bother with the melee skill tree, as it's useless in most instances unless your fighting humans. Which is the worst part of the game. Taking down the machines is still cool, and having a few ways of doing it is fun, but even that starts to get repetitive after a while.

Yeah, a few games do this. They struggle to implement them in an elegant way. Also, the skill tree wasn't great, which is another thing games struggle with. Just trim it down, and make the upgrades worthwhile instead of cramming in more.

I didn't even bother with the melee skill tree, as it's useless in most instances unless your fighting humans. Which is the worst part of the game. Taking down the machines is still cool, and having a few ways of doing it is fun, but even that starts to get repetitive after a while.

I absolutely despise complex skill trees and they seem to be present in nearly all games nowadays, it’s just so unnecessary and spoils the experience greatly IMO.

This is PS5 only? Considering how well their engine scales back to even a base PS4, I'm skeptical that this is for any real technical reason and not just to get people to upgrade to the current gen. I guess owners of the PS4 version at least get a free upgrade path to the PS5 version.

Aye, the human combat in horizon sucks a bit, machine combat is feckin great though.

Stunning visually. Will 100% get the DLC at some point.

:lol: I saw what you said before the edit. Sony have been working with them since 2018 - guess we'll see a reveal of the game in the next Showcase.

:lol: I was struggling not to be sarcastic but also didn't want to seem like a total dick. The edit seemed like a good compromise.

I'm curious though, is this the same team they acquired previously? I vaguely remember them also buying another studio who haven't released anything yet - pretty sure their website said they were developing an online multiplayer title.

:lol: I was struggling not to be sarcastic but also didn't want to seem like a total dick. The edit seemed like a good compromise.

I'm curious though, is this the same team they acquired previously? I vaguely remember them also buying another studio who haven't released anything yet - pretty sure their website said they were developing an online multiplayer title.
Different.

Firesprite, Haven and now Firewalk are three studios Sony have acquired yet to release anything but with how long they've been working on stuff I assume reveals are close for at least one.

That's it! I was just searching through the thread because I couldn't remember the name.

It's interesting actually because between Firewalk Studios, Haven and Bungie there seems to be a push towards online multiplayer games. I said something to Afro yesterday about it being kinda surprising Sony haven't really been involved in this area given the huge player-base they generally have. I also found this tweet from you about their acquisition of some e-sports organiser about a year ago so possibly there are big things planned.

That's it! I was just searching through the thread because I couldn't remember the name.

It's interesting actually because between Firewalk Studios, Haven and Bungie there seems to be a push towards online multiplayer games. I said something to Afro yesterday about it being kinda surprising Sony haven't really been involved in this area given the huge player-base they generally have. I also found this tweet from you about their acquisition of some e-sports organiser about a year ago so possibly there are big things planned.

They've also partnered with Deviation Games (ex CoD people). I imagine they'll be added too though there's some issue of leadership there with one of the founders leaving. Firewalk and Deviation seem to be more on the shooter side of things, Haven could be anything.

They've also partnered with Deviation Games (ex CoD people). I imagine they'll be added too though there's some issue of leadership there with one of the founders leaving. Firewalk and Deviation seem to be more on the shooter side of things, Haven could be anything.

Good points. Speaking of Haven, I'm also somewhat curious to see what they do with Media Molecule. Dreams never really took off but it was an interesting project that revolved heavily around the online side of things.

I've worked for a company that had a website exactly like this "firewalkstudios" one.

So cringe, even back then. Now it's just hilariously bad and not a single talented developer with experience will be clicking on that careers link, I can tell you that for a fact :lol:

I've worked for a company that had a website exactly like this "firewalkstudios" one.

So cringe, even back then. Now it's just hilariously bad and not a single talented developer with experience will be clicking on that careers link, I can tell you that for a fact :lol:

Bit of an aside but yeah, it does give the impression of being put together very quickly, which is probably true.

+1. I'm pretty snobby about this as a web content guy but I can't stand websites where all the content is on the landing page.

It's all bullshot speak and no actual information. Nothing about what they actually do, what they've done, what is coming, just full of visual sound bites in an incredibly awfully formatted state.

I guarantee the first "teaser" video is a highly contested walk through that is pre-rendered and not in the game engine. I've seen this way too many times for it not to be.

Yep it's a horrible habit. It's usually because I find a quicker way to get to my point.

Your reimagined point is weak though. But I get it, I'll edit my post if you want me too.

It's an awful site though, and it doesn't inspire me with any confidence. Like I say, no professional with experience will touch that with a barge pole. Though they'll have already been recruited, and that on the site is to pretend to show growth, so I guess the point is moot.

I’ve got stick drift on the left analogue. Very irritating. Tried all the home methods to fix it like updating controller software, resetting, etc… but still just making me drift to the left in every game.

I’ve got stick drift on the left analogue. Very irritating. Tried all the home methods to fix it like updating controller software, resetting, etc… but still just making me drift to the left in every game.
Buy new controller
Swap controllers out
Return controller for refund

Buy new controller
Swap controllers out
Return controller for refund

Could work but I scratched the back of mine so I could tell which one was the 'good' controller. It is now no longer the good controller.

Could work but I scratched the back of mine so I could tell which one was the 'good' controller. It is now no longer the good controller.

It'll be fine.

I dropped one of mine when I first got the ps5 and the right trigger became really loose. I bought a new from a shop, put the broken one back in the box and returned it and said the trigger was like that when I opened it. Just say the same about the scratches.

They all get returned to Sony anyway, it just saves you waiting for weeks for your replacement.

I bought the Nathan Drake collection. Time to see if Uncharted 2 holds up!

I remember playing all 5 games through lockdown. All brilliant games 1-4, Uncharted 4 in particular was class. The Lost Legacy which is the final game in the instalment thought it was not bad but nowhere near as good as the previous 4. As just not the same without Nathan Drake & Sully