Gaming PlayStation 5

I've temporarily quit returnal after getting the stage 3 boss down to a slither several times then getting hit multiple times and dying. One time I even had a full heal to spare but didn't use it quick enough before dying.

I've made the stage 3 boss about one in every 6 or 7 runs. I just don't think I've quite got the reflexes at 47 years old to be able to do this one. Because it takes so long to even get to the boss, you don't get to keep fighting it over and over until you beat it like other games with boss checkpoints.

Shame because I love the concept and the gameplay

Returnal had some very minor issues at launch in terms of bugs. They have since been patched though. Anyone calling it a ‘bugfest’ clearly has an agenda and as such shouldn’t be listened to.

Watched some reviews for Dyling Light and I just think it looks brilliant so decided to give it a day one purchase. Heard there’s some bugs (doesn’t usually bother me) but overall it looks a fun game. This is going to be an expensive month but I reckon I can have this finished prior to Horizon/Elden Ring launch. Been craving something new for ages, fed up of playing hours and hours of FIFA alone.

Returnal had some very minor issues at launch in terms of bugs. They have since been patched though. Anyone calling it a ‘bugfest’ clearly has an agenda and as such shouldn’t be listened to.
Agreed, I played through it at launch and honestly can’t remember encountering a single notable one.

Bet it's the Turkey PSN trick.... I wonder if it's hard to do?
I was thinking it might be that. I've seen posts on HUKD recommending this as the best price in a lot of scenarios, but I've never done it myself.

Amazon. PS4 version is £52 & for some reason they gave me a £10 voucher for using the iOS app. Cancelled the original order & applied the discount to get to £42.
I can't find anything about a voucher on the app :(

Destiny 3 please.
Destiny 3 would have been much better than what Bungie has done. A lot of content has been removed from D2. I love Destiny. I've been playing it since it released in 2014, but I hate how they've been removing content over the last 2 years. The base campaign doesn't even exist in the game any more.

Just a few other points...There's a ridiculous amount of hype of late around big game releases the last year or so and almost all have failed to deliver and have been complete bugfest s*it shows.

I'm talking about Returnal, Battlefield, Cyberpunk, GTA and hell even this week Dying Light. I don't blame the developers, I think its on the board pushing release dates far too quickly just for revenue and games are riddled with coding errors.

I'm not trying to create a "console war" type sentiment here at all, I'm a gamer and choice of console is irrelevant, play whatever you want. All I'm saying is XB seem to be doing some great work the last few months with game pass, cloud service and acquisitions of Bethesda and Activision. I'm enjoying the PS5, just a little underwhelmed so far with it all as the majority of the content thus far is PS4 remakes and very little PS5 exclusive content.
Like others have said, I haven't seen any talk of Returnal being a bug fest. If it was/is buggy, it's nowhere near the level of BF, Cyberpunk, and the GTA remasters. Those games were practically unplayable on release.

The vast majority of PS exclusives games come out in a very good state. The only one I remember over the last few years coming out in a poorer state is Days Gone.

It's also very early in the gen. The vast majority of games are obviously still dual generation. I'd expect we'll start to see more PS5 exclusives coming next year. Without wanting to rag on Xbox too much, I don't think there are any Xbox games that are exclusive to XSX/S.

I was thinking it might be that. I've seen posts on HUKD recommending this as the best price in a lot of scenarios, but I've never done it myself.

I can't find anything about a voucher on the app :(

Destiny 3 would have been much better than what Bungie has done. A lot of content has been removed from D2. I love Destiny. I've been playing it since it released in 2014, but I hate how they've been removing content over the last 2 years. The base campaign doesn't even exist in the game any more.

Like others have said, I haven't seen any talk of Returnal being a bug fest. If it was/is buggy, it's nowhere near the level of BF, Cyberpunk, and the GTA remasters. Those games were practically unplayable on release.

The vast majority of PS exclusives games come out in a very good state. The only one I remember over the last few years coming out in a poorer state is Days Gone.

It's also very early in the gen. The vast majority of games are obviously still dual generation. I'd expect we'll start to see more PS5 exclusives coming next year. Without wanting to rag on Xbox too much, I don't think there are any Xbox games that are exclusive to XSX/S.

You know all that removing of content from destiny, if the game was a current gen game would it have the capacity for most of that back or is it the same situation as the last gen which i think was limited at a certain capacity level

Destiny 3 in VR would make me buy a PSVR2 instantly.

With the new controllers I reckon you'll see PSVR nail a shooter.

You know all that removing of content from destiny, if the game was a current gen game would it have the capacity for most of that back or is it the same situation as the last gen which i think was limited at a certain capacity level
I don't know for sure, but I'd assume it would be the same situation. The game was too big and Bungie were finding it hard to keep updating it. I don't know any other game that has removed content like Bungie has with Destiny 2. I can't even imagine what it's like for a new player to start playing it. I assume people must be really confused!

I've temporarily quit returnal after getting the stage 3 boss down to a slither several times then getting hit multiple times and dying. One time I even had a full heal to spare but didn't use it quick enough before dying.

I've made the stage 3 boss about one in every 6 or 7 runs. I just don't think I've quite got the reflexes at 47 years old to be able to do this one. Because it takes so long to even get to the boss, you don't get to keep fighting it over and over until you beat it like other games with boss checkpoints.

Shame because I love the concept and the gameplay

That's where I gave up tbf. Still think I'll go back for another crack.

I don't know for sure, but I'd assume it would be the same situation. The game was too big and Bungie were finding it hard to keep updating it. I don't know any other game that has removed content like Bungie has with Destiny 2. I can't even imagine what it's like for a new player to start playing it. I assume people must be really confused!
Yea and they have kind of locked themselves into this untill the Sony money gets pumped into them, the good thing with Sony is they generally let the story teller tell there story unlike when Activision had them it was tell this part now and that in the 1st DLC, that part won't sell so cut it.

Yeah I don't acknowledge D2. D1 was an elite game and that's where I left it. Played D2 but it was a different (worse) animal that D1.

Yeah I don't acknowledge D2. D1 was an elite game and that's where I left it. Played D2 but it was a different (worse) animal that D1.
D2 is far better than D1 ever was.

The issue is D2 had the same problems that D1 had, a slow start. They needed to build the content up, but once it got going it's better in every area.

If you compare the end of D1 to the beginning of D2 then sure it looks bad, but there's far more content now in D2 than you can ever do in D1.

Yes the shelving of some content in D2 is annoying, but it was causing too many bugs and loading issues in the game.

Ideally we need D3 so they start fresh and leave the old generation behind which is holding them back in some areas.

The issue is D2 had the same problems that D1 had, a slow start. They needed to build the content up, but once it got going it's better in every area.

If you compare the end of D1 to the beginning of D2 then sure it looks bad, but there's far more content now in D2 than you can ever do in D1.

Yes the shelving of some content in D2 is annoying, but it was causing too many bugs and loading issues in the game.

Ideally we need D3 so they start fresh and leave the old generation behind which is holding them back in some areas.

D2 was just a "rush to max level and grind gear, buy expansion, do it again" whereas D1 was an actual experience - it was brilliant. A great story campaign and the online features. There was no pressurised rush to max level, I enjoyed the journey. I'd like to think it was just me who feels this way but we had a squad of 20-odd of us playing and we all had the same opinion.

I'm still hoping they give us Half Life Alyx on PSVR2.
Done dealio I reckon...
I just don't think I've quite got the reflexes at 47 years old to be able to do this one.
Utter bollox. It just takes practice, prep and planning. I play this game stoned and can still complete a full run most times.
Destiny 3 in VR would make me buy a PSVR2 instantly.

With the new controllers I reckon you'll see PSVR nail a shooter.

Great post.

Also, I'm with @Cypriot on D1 vs D2...

Last edited:

I'm with you, I played D1 and I thought it was overrated. D2 on the PS5 update was breathtaking in comparison and I really enjoyed the experience. My biggest mistake was jumping in far too late which I wouldn't do if D3 came out.

D2 was just a "rush to max level and grind gear, buy expansion, do it again" whereas D1 was an actual experience - it was brilliant. A great story campaign and the online features. There was no pressurised rush to max level, I enjoyed the journey. I'd like to think it was just me who feels this way but we had a squad of 20-odd of us playing and we all had the same opinion.
Mate I've played both for many many hours. D1 is just nostalgia.

What you've spelled out there is literally D1. It was a struggle to reach the powercap, you''d have to make 3 hunters to raid 3 times a week in the hope of dropping higher level boots. If you didn't get lucky with RNG you were stuck.

Now you can comfortably play hunter/titan/warlock each week and have no issues hitting any caps. It's FAR more relaxed. Power cap barely means anything anymore.

RNG on exotic weapons was so much worse. If you wanted Gjallahorn or Ice breaker, you'd have to pray to the gods. Some people wouldn't even be allowed to raid if you didn't have the right items.

It sounds to me like you've played a lot of D1, tried early D2 then stopped playing.

@afrocentricity

Mate I've barely seen you on D2 :D

@TrustInJanuzaj Agreed. 60FPS destiny is incredible.

While they did some things in D1 which was better, to say it was better than D2 overall is just silly.

Mate I've played both for many many hours. D1 is just nostalgia.

What you've spelled out there is literally D1. It was a struggle to reach the powercap, you''d have to make 3 hunters to raid 3 times a week in the hope of dropping higher level boots. If you didn't get lucky with RNG you were stuck.

Now you can comfortably play hunter/titan/warlock each week and have no issues hitting any caps. It's FAR more relaxed. Power cap barely means anything anymore.

RNG on exotic weapons was so much worse. If you wanted Gjallahorn or Ice breaker, you'd have to pray to the gods. Some people wouldn't even be allowed to raid if you didn't have the right items.

It sounds to me like you've played a lot of D1, tried early D2 then stopped playing.

@afrocentricity

Mate I've barely seen you on D2 :D

@TrustInJanuzaj Agreed. 60FPS destiny is incredible.

While they did some things in D1 which was better, to say it was better than D2 overall is just silly.

Yeah possibly just nostalgia, I don't disagree with you. Maybe I've changed also. I'm just not a fan of games rushing you to cap. I feel like if it's a bit more difficult to cap, you get a feeling of accomplishment.

I'd love to give a new Destiny a go though, are there any rumours of a new one coming out any time soon?

Is anyone else taking the plunge into Dying Light 2? I'm quite impressed with it in the opening 2/3 hours.

Yeah possibly just nostalgia, I don't disagree with you. Maybe I've changed also. I'm just not a fan of games rushing you to cap. I feel like if it's a bit more difficult to cap, you get a feeling of accomplishment.

I'd love to give a new Destiny a go though, are there any rumours of a new one coming out any time soon?
No new game, but the latest big DLC 'The witch queen' is about to drop on Feb 22nd. It's essentially a new game but still under the D2 name branding.

That would be the best time to hop back into it if you want to try again.

I've not played it personally, but I'm on a facebook group for PS gamers and the level of complaints around its release was pretty heavy, not to the level of Cyberpunk I agree..but I recall with many stating they gave up on it pretty quickly.

I think "annoying" is an understatement. I bought D2 when it came out because I had read the reviews that it actually had a great story this time, and it did. The red war story, or whatever it was called, was brilliant and well worth the money.

Fast forward to last year and D2 and all of its expansions get added to Game Pass, so I recommend to my friends who haven't played it before that we should make that our next coop game, as I had played it previously and knew that it had a good story this time and was much improved over the first.

Imagine our immense disappointment to find ourselves replaying the opening section of D1 all over again.

I did some research and found out about vaulting and that the fantastic campaign, the one I specifically bought the game for, is no longer playable. That is not simply annoying, that is disgusting. I'm sure their t&c's cover them so they haven't broken any rules, but it is downright scummy to remove content from a game that people have paid money for.

I think "annoying" is an understatement. I bought D2 when it came out because I had read the reviews that it actually had a great story this time, and it did. The red war story, or whatever it was called, was brilliant and well worth the money.

Fast forward to last year and D2 and all of its expansions get added to Game Pass, so I recommend to my friends who haven't played it before that we should make that our next coop game, as I had played it previously and knew that it had a good story this time and was much improved over the first.

Imagine our immense disappointment to find ourselves replaying the opening section of D1 all over again.

I did some research and found out about vaulting and that the fantastic campaign, the one I specifically bought the game for, is no longer playable. That is not simply annoying, that is disgusting. I'm sure their t&c's cover them so they haven't broken any rules, but it is downright scummy to remove content from a game that people have paid money for.
I agree.

Unfortunately though it seems they'd reached the limit of what the game could handle.

Load screens were taking forever, they couldn't introduce new content without removing something.

95% of the playerbase had already done the campaign and were never going to play it again. I think in the end it was the right decision due to their limitations, but it's very confusing for the new player experience.

This is the issue with evolving real time games though, unless you're keeping up with it from the start it just won't make sense.

Imagine playing the red war campaign then wondering where Cayde is?

I didn't know Destiny 2 still had a decent playerbase i enjoyed it for a bit but was forever reaching the end of the content available and just sitting around doing nothing apart from the same crap over and over again.

I did go back on it and was impressed with some of the creative multiplayer modes they had created, can't remember the name but one where you could port into another realm and stop the other team.

We need that sort of creativity in the FPS multiplayer world.

D2 at this point is a definitely better game than D1 was. I think D2 had a better start than D1. It had a story that made sense and at least for the few weeks, it was a good game. D2 reviewed quite well. D1 for sure didn't. The main issues with OG D2 were the lack of random rolls and moving all of the special weapons to the heavy slot. The lack of random rolls ruined weapon drops. Every dupe weapon drop was completely worthless. The special weapons all being moved changed the combat way too much from what we had in D1. Two primaries felt really bad.

The vaulting of content is terrible. Even as a huge fan of this series, I can't defend it. I played all of the vaulted content to death. I still don't think you should ever vault that much content. Any new players will never get to play the base story. They won't be able to play Forsaken in 2 weeks, either. They should have kept all of it in D2 and gave us D3. I guess that won't happen now, and they'll keep vaulting content.

Maybe for the next expansion, they'll drop the last gen consoles and give us a better experience overall. Going back and playing D2 on a PS4 would feel awful. It's so much better at 60fps and having a wider FOV.

I didn't know Destiny 2 still had a decent playerbase i enjoyed it for a bit but was forever reaching the end of the content available and just sitting around doing nothing apart from the same crap over and over again.

I did go back on it and was impressed with some of the creative multiplayer modes they had created, can't remember the name but one where you could port into another realm and stop the other team.

We need that sort of creativity in the FPS multiplayer world.
Yeah, D2's playerbase has been extremely healthy for a long time now. It's one of those games that people keep coming back to. I do understand the complaints about the levelling system. After levelling up the same way every season, it does get really repetitive. It's basically getting to the same place you were at the prior season.

The mode you're talking about is gambit. If Reddit is anything to go by, a lot of the playerbase aren't a fan of gambit, but I like it. It does need some new maps and more updates to help balance it. A strong first invade usually decides the game from the start.

D2 at this point is a definitely better game than D1 was. I think D2 had a better start than D1. It had a story that made sense and at least for the few weeks, it was a good game. D2 reviewed quite well. D1 for sure didn't. The main issues with OG D2 were the lack of random rolls and moving all of the special weapons to the heavy slot. The lack of random rolls ruined weapon drops. Every dupe weapon drop was completely worthless. The special weapons all being moved changed the combat way too much from what we had in D1. Two primaries felt really bad.

The vaulting of content is terrible. Even as a huge fan of this series, I can't defend it. I played all of the vaulted content to death. I still don't think you should ever vault that much content. Any new players will never get to play the base story. They won't be able to play Forsaken in 2 weeks, either. They should have kept all of it in D2 and gave us D3. I guess that won't happen now, and they'll keep vaulting content.

Maybe for the next expansion, they'll drop the last gen consoles and give us a better experience overall. Going back and playing D2 on a PS4 would feel awful. It's so much better at 60fps and having a wider FOV.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, they made a lot of mistakes with the start of D2. I stopped playing myself around Curse of Osiris.

I came back for Forsaken, anybody who hasn't played it at that point or since is missing out. So much better.

they still make some odd decisions, as you say content vaulting + specifically weapon vaulting sucked. I understand why the content vaulting had to happen, the game does run a lot smoother since that point.

I'd love it if they make D3 with a new engine and make everything 'next gen'. Especially if Sony try to make it their flagship, it could be great.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, they made a lot of mistakes with the start of D2. I stopped playing myself around Curse of Osiris.

I came back for Forsaken, anybody who hasn't played it at that point or since is missing out. So much better.

they still make some odd decisions, as you say content vaulting + specifically weapon vaulting sucked. I understand why the content vaulting had to happen, the game does run a lot smoother since that point.

I'd love it if they make D3 with a new engine and make everything 'next gen'. Especially if Sony try to make it their flagship, it could be great.
Yeah, I think a lot of people stopped playing during Curse of Osiris. That was the point when a lot of vet players really started to feel the lack of grind and content. I took a break during that expansion as well, but I came back just after Warmind released. Warmind was pretty good.

Forsaken was a huge step up. I don't think we'll ever get a year of content that good again. Bungie had so much help from Activision's studios to develop content. The story content has improved a lot over the years as well. I especially like what they've given us this year.

The game has been running better since Beyond Light. Even on PS4, you could feel a difference. They're patching the game at a faster pace. They got the install size back under 100GB. I do see the benefits of content vaulting.

I can't see a D3 happening at this point. I think they've gone all in on D2. At least not until the light and dark saga has been completed. They rebuilt a lot of the engine for Beyond Light's release.

Done dealio I reckon...

Utter bollox. It just takes practice, prep and planning. I play this game stoned and can still complete a full run most times.

Great post.

I should have added that I've got a disability in my left hand, severe nerve damage, that makes it hard to move my thumb accurately. All of my fingers are very weak, but my thumb is the worst.

I'm in the market for a new TV for general use and obviously plenty of PS5. No bigger than 50". LG C1 oled the best bet? Any other recommendations?

I should have added that I've got a disability in my left hand, severe nerve damage, that makes it hard to move my thumb accurately. All of my fingers are very weak, but my thumb is the worst.
And now I feel like a prick.... Great game though.

I'm in the market for a new TV for general use and obviously plenty of PS5. No bigger than 50". LG C1 oled the best bet? Any other recommendations?
Brilliant Tv, I’ve got the CX and I love it, esp for PS5, not really much difference between the C1, so if cheaper I would recommend the CX, however you can’t go wrong with either.
Oh, and screen burn is really not an issue on the Oled, by my experience.

Brilliant Tv, I’ve got the CX and I love it, esp for PS5, not really much difference between the C1, so if cheaper I would recommend the CX, however you can’t go wrong with either.
Oh, and screen burn is really not an issue on the Oled, by my experience.

Nice one cheers. I've had a look and there's not much difference in price between the two.

The C2 is about to launch I believe, so I would either wait for that if you don't mind paying full price, or wait until the C1's get reduced once it is out. I know some of the new C2 models have a heatsink on them which allows them to produce a brighter picture if that matters to you.

The C2 is about to launch I believe, so I would either wait for that if you don't mind paying full price, or wait until the C1's get reduced once it is out. I know some of the new C2 models have a heatsink on them which allows them to produce a brighter picture if that matters to you.

Hmmm, that's annoying. Need it for start of Feb really.

And now I feel like a prick.... Great game though.

No mate. Wasn't telling you to make you feel bad. I generally don't mention my disability, but I felt it might explain why I might not be starting from the best place in a game requiring really good movement to survive.

I've got about 35 hours in the game, but that third level just kicks my arse. Especially the damn rocket firing drones.