Plane carrying Chapocoense players crashes | Nossa Chape documentary

CartaDono.jpeg

River Plate official statement. They offer themselves everything in their hands to help "Even the availability of our First Division team to play a charity Friendly for the damaged and for the Chapecoense's Football Asosiation"

Racing Club president, Victor Blanco, offered the possibility of giving players on loan to Chapecoense.

can we somehow make sure that united gets involved in aiding chapocoense in this terrible time. It's only fitting due to our now terrible shared history.

Absolutely Heartbreaking.

We have to extend our hand as a gesture here. It is only right considering that we now share a terrible tragedy with this club.

First time I have heard about this team but I am almost crying. Such a terrible tragedy. May they Rest in Peace.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38150202
Three of Brazil's leading clubs have said they will offer players to Chapecoense, after the majority of their squad died in a plane crash....Flamengo, Palmeiras and Sao Paulo are the clubs to have offered help....In the aftermath of the 1958 Munich air disaster, both Liverpool and Nottingham Forest offered to loan players to Manchester United, and players from non-league Bishop Auckland featured for the Red Devils.
We are far away from them I know but still think we could maybe loan the Pereira boys or other spanish/portuguese speaking academy kids until the end of the season.

Three of Brazil's leading clubs have said they will offer players to Chapecoense, after the majority of their squad died in a plane crash....Flamengo, Palmeiras and Sao Paulo are the clubs to have offered help....In the aftermath of the 1958 Munich air disaster, both Liverpool and Nottingham Forest offered to loan players to Manchester United, and players from non-league Bishop Auckland featured for the Red Devils.
We are far away from them I know but still think we could maybe loan the Pereira boys or other spanish/portuguese speaking academy kids until the end of the season.
Even if we are talking about Spanish/Portuguese speaking academy kids going on loan, it will still not be fair on the kids who are already in Europe and their plans for own future. Best will be for bigger clubs from South America loaning players and the clubs from Europe offering monetary assistance that will be required in rebuilding.

Heart breaking. May they rest in peace.

Agree with @macheda14 and @Rolandofgilead re: gesture from the club. Hope it's already in the works.

A message of support in English and Portuguese on our behalf as United fans, through the Redcafe´s Twitter account, to the club and its fans would be a very nice gesture

I haven't been able to get this off my mind since the news broke. Initially I wasn't going to bother posting here because I couldn't get the words out and so many had already said what I would say anyway. I mean, what absoulte horrific timing for this to happen. Them being on their way to a final and what was their clubs biggest ever game, the fact that one of their players had only just found out he'd become a father, all the pictures and videos showing how happy they were before the tragedy (which i can't bring myself to watch), the player who'd just come back from injury at the worst possible time and was in the squad. All the circumstances and whatnot that surround the tragedy just make it that much harder to take. I just read that the son of the manager had forgotton his passport so didn't travel. It's crazy how that saved his life. Saying this doesn't mean much in the end, but I just felt like I had to get it off my chest. I wish they had got their Leicester-esque ending.

I can only give my best wishes and thoughts to the survivors, the families and friends of those affected by the tragedy, and the club itself. Like many have already said, I do hope we as a club help out with whatever we can, which I'm sure we'll do.

Maybe they have, but decided not to make it public. Is this really the time to have yet another dig at Utd players

Although I do expect the club to do something seeing as they now tragically have something in common
(Sigh) I was not having a dig at our players.
It was said in hope. Good on them if they're doing something privately.

Agree with @macheda14 and @Rolandofgilead re: gesture from the club. Hope it's already in the works.

A message of support in English and Portuguese on our behalf as United fans, through the Redcafe´s Twitter account, to the club and its fans would be a very nice gesture
Actually logged on to ask if we could tweet a message of condolence to the club?

Sad news, and the news hits close to most United fans thoughts with our own plane crash part of our history. Glad to see the other teams looking to support the club.

I dont speak portugese/brazilian but I dont this that video was shot before the crash -- based on the seating configuration, thats not a BAe146.

Correct. The plane in the video is a widebody (2 aisles). So the video is shot earlier. Still a tragic story though.

I can see your point , but sending our kids so far, would be too much for them , far better for players from teams in South America loan their players.

I can see your point , but sending our kids so far, would be too much for them , far better for players from teams in South America loan their players.
I agree. The best help we can give is moral support and financial help for the families. As someone suggested play a game to raise money.

Good idea, we should, don't you think @Niall?

We can only hope they can take strength from the recovery that United and others have made and in the knowledge that the football family cares about nothing right now other than the family & friends of the people who perished, and anyone associated with that poor football club.

This tragedy is too shocking for words.....absolutely heartbreaking.
I do hope United make a decent gesture.Maybe a friendly match with the proceeds going to the victims families,

As this disaster reminds me of Munich and Superga, i go and read about the Munich disaster. What Harry Gregg did was just touching. Just want to let you know it. Now back on topic :)

I read that apparantly it just ran out of fuel, took off with barely enough to cover the route it flew and another flight had an emergency landing just before it so they had to circle and wait their turn and the fuel ran out. Seems like pilot error.

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that."

Never has a comment about football rang so hollow.

It's one of the worst famous quotes in football.

I hope that the club does more than just having a friendly match to raise money. United are the only club in the world who can even begin to grasp what these people are dealing with and what they are going to go through for years and even decades to come. It is not just the club who have to deal with it, it is the whole community.

I hope we do something longer lasting which provides a permanent bond between Manchester United and the people of Chapeco.

I dont speak portugese/brazilian but I dont this that video was shot before the crash -- based on the seating configuration, thats not a BAe146.
Well, they are announcing that the trip to Colombia is about to start... The player is saying it as you listen to the commander announcing something (which I can't understand). It looks as if it's just before take-off.

EDIT: Also, from what I understand, this is the variant of the plane, RJ85 (from wiki):

The 146-200 features a 2.41 m (7 ft 11 in) fuselage extension and reduced cost per seat mile. The -200 first flew in August 1982 and entered service six months later. The RJ85, the first RJ development of the BAe 146 family, features an improved cabin and the more efficient LF 507 engines. Deliveries of the RJ85 began in April 1993. The RJ85 seats up to 112 passengers. The BAe 146-200QC is the convertible passenger/freight version and the BAe 146-200QT (Quiet Trader) is the freighter version.

Two BAe 146-200QC aircraft have been converted to "C3" standard for the RAF, with infrared countermeasures systems and flare dispensers, for use in Afghanistan.[43]

Last edited:
It is nice to see so many football clubs offering support. Yes PR and all that but I'm sure 99% is genuine.

I hope that the club does more than just having a friendly match to raise money. United are the only club in the world who can even begin to grasp what these people are dealing with and what they are going to go through for years and even decades to come. It is not just the club who have to deal with it, it is the whole community.

I hope we do something longer lasting which provides a permanent bond between Manchester United and the people of Chapeco.
More clubs than United have had large scale disasters, Torino also lost an entire team in an aeroplane crash. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superga_air_disaster

Like others it's prompted me to do a bit of reading on Munich (mainly wikipedia I confess) and stumpled upon this:
Jackie Blanchflower, who like most of the players, lived in a house owned by the club, had to vacate it. "It was made pretty clear we had to leave," says Jean, his wife. "United were very cold, very harsh, after the crash."
Is that true?!

A great gesture to be applauded.

Just some historical perspective...when Jimmy Murphy actually asked Forest and Liverpool for players they wouldnt release any first team or reserves...so it was a wasted gesture.

Only Bishop Auckland actually loaned us three players.

it was at this point that Murphy realised he had to do it all himself.

Condolences to all associated with Chapecoense FC.

How rare is it to run out of fuel? Maybe a system error made them think they had enough fuel?

I thought the pilot had dumped fuel to prevent an explosion?

There was a recording aired on Colombian radio today which they're claiming is the pilot talking to the air traffic control tower. He's asking for an immediate landing but it seems like the control tower are already dealing with an emergency landing. He gets left in the queue. Whether it's real I guess we'll find out in the next few days.

Last edited: