Phil Jones

A team of Phil Jones would not be too pretty to watch, but it wouldn't give a half-arsed performance like the team did at Norwich.

Yeah, very good game from his so far. The winger on the right for us so far.

Was fecking brilliant today. Seems like RB is his best position really which gives Fergie of a headache

He's a bit of a nutter ain't he?

Very good performance today.

Hard to say which position is his best right now. Seems to enjoy being a fullback because it allows him to get forwards more often.

I don't think he's necessaries a right back, just that at the moment this position allows him to make the most of his drive without going too extreme as he/we do in a midfield 3 or as a centreback. Honestly I couldn't say where his best position will be, he's clearly a very good footballer but that's all you can really say. But the drive that he has could be very useful either as a centreback or midfielder if other parts of his game get refined.

He's had far more chances and runs (where we didnt have an alternative) in the team at RB. Doesnt mean he cant play CB just as well

If he can sort out his passing and shooting he could become an incredible box to box midfielder.

I still think that he'll become a top class centre back though.

I don't think he's necessaries a right back, just that at the moment this position allows him to make the most of his drive without going too extreme as he/we do in a midfield 3 or as a centreback. Honestly I couldn't say where his best position will be, he's clearly a very good footballer but that's all you can really say. But the drive that he has could be very useful either as a centreback or midfielder if other parts of his game get refined.

This. I'd be very, very surprised if he ended up a right-back, especially given his physique.

There isn't another position where he's played this good.It's a no-brainer for me that he's a RB.

I agree, it's a shame for him that Rafael is clearly way ahead.

He concerns me to be honest. Played very well today, but I'm just not sure about how he will develop in the long term. I hope Fergie has a plan. Very costly and expensive kid, and he showed such early promise at centre-half, I'd have liked to see him play more there.

Perhaps he left Blackburn too soon, dunno.

Given the way Blackburn have ended up, he left them at right time. He also wasn't really playing at centre half for them but in midfield.

He'll play at RB until Rio/Vidic disappear slowly and then move to CB I'd imagine. I doubt he will play as CM under Fergie for an extended period unless he shows a lot more to his passing.

Thought he had a blinder today.
He will probobly end up playing 500+ games for United without ever making any one position his own.
Every team needs a player of that versatility.

If he can sort out his passing and shooting he could become an incredible box to box midfielder.

I still think that he'll become a top class centre back though.

Jones will go on to be our box to box mid or a CB. While he looks great at RB, that is not where his destiny lies. Gun to my head I'd say he's going to establish himself as a box to box midfielder. He loves going forward and he's got more of a mind for that position than he does for a modern day CB.

Similar to David Luiz perhaps (but a good few years younger). I enjoyed watching him today, he played very well :)

Weird that a performance of that quality will raise so many questions. Very odd situation with Jones. Still have no idea where he'll end up playing, but if we didn't have Rafael and saw that performance we'd be going on about how he's got the right back position sewn up for years to come.

Is it just me or has his technique randomly improved a little whilst he's been out? He's not really played that much for us to be fair (in the sense of properly coming to conclusions regarding his technique), but I'm sure he's never looked as comfortable on the ball as he did at times today. Maybe it's me comparing him against what he was like when his form dipped last season or just forgetting what he was like before that.

Rafael has nailed the RB position as his own and rightfully so, but Jones is way too good to not play him, so my guess is he'll primarily be a CB, but due to Rafael needing a rest every now and then that's when he'll play as a RB.
I still think we will have one of (if not the best) defenses in the world not too long from now.
De Gea
Rafael Jones Smalling Fabio/Buttner

They're all really young and already very skilled and could be starting in quite a few teams.
With years to develop understanding by playing with eachother this will be one heck of a back 5.

I agree, it's a shame for him that Rafael is clearly way ahead.

Wouldn't say that, Rafael has been fantastic this season and been very consistent but Jones has been really good at right back since his return and started a lot of games last year.

I think we could see quite a bit of rotation between the two until the end of the season, we should just be thankful we've got two of the best young right backs in the country.

Rafael has been better so far, but I think Jones is better suit for wingback position. He charges forward too much as a centre back for my liking, and he lack the passing game and discipline required for midfielder.

If Carrick is indeed out, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones in midfield to face Swansea. I'd prefer to see him out there rather than Scholes or Giggs at the moment.

So you would play Phil (who could turn into a world class CB or midfielder) at RB where we already have one player who is a lock to turn world class?

Ok..

Could we possibly push one of Rafael or Jones at left back, say if Evra's out and they're both fully fit and in good form.. Zanetti/Lahm style?

Could we possibly push one of Rafael or Jones at left back, say if Evra's out and they're both fully fit and in good form.. Zanetti/Lahm style?

With Fabio out and Buttner in it lends me to believe Fergie prefers to have a left footer over there. Especially with our left winger being right footed.

I don't really care how good he is at RB, there's only one player at United that I want to be our permanent RB and it's Rafael.
Yep. I don't want to see a situation where we start to rotate Rafael and Jones at RB. Rafael has shown what a run of games can do for him and I want him to start whenever possible.

It does leaves Jones in a bit of a no man lands in terms of what to do with him though. Jones is a decent player, but hasn't shown himself to be any better than any of our defenders and now we have carrick/cleverley cementing the CM partnership together. I can see him being thrown into lots of random postions for the rest of the season and coming off the bench a lot of the time.

Yep. I don't want to see a situation where we start to rotate Rafael and Jones at RB. Rafael has shown what a run of games can do for him and I want him to start whenever possible.

It does leaves Jones in a bit of a no man lands in terms of what to do with him though. Jones is a decent player, but hasn't shown himself to be any better than any of our defenders and now we have carrick/cleverley cementing the CM partnership together. I can see him being thrown into lots of random postions for the rest of the season and coming off the bench a lot of the time.

There's no reason why Jones can't cover for Carrick.