Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

Did the football writers overestimate him when he won their award this season?

As said there’s the non plussed, clueless and you

Yeah, they did. Rodri, Haaland, KDB, Saka, Rice, Saliba, Salah, that's 7 names just off the top of my head who deserved it way more than he did.

Yeah, they did. Rodri, Haaland, KDB, Saka, Rice, Saliba, Salah, that's 7 names just off the top of my head who deserved it way more than he did.
So now you’re better informed than professional football writers?

Is there no limit to your outstanding football knowledge? :lol:

I’ve never seen anything like this before. The desperation from the media in wanting him to be the main man or be seen as the difference maker is so bizarre. I can’t help but thinking there is something more sinister to it but I won’t get into that.

He’s a very very good player but he’s in a team with players just as good if not better. He doesn’t deserve the attention he’s had all tournament.

We’ve seen this script before with England.

Being an amazing player at club level doesn’t always translate to international football. Foden appears to be the latest one in that bracket. That could be down to him, the manager, the tactics (or lack of) or a number of other reasons.

I do believe it should be him or Bellingham, much like it should’ve been Lampard or Gerrard once upon a time. Right now you’d take Bellingham’s moments over whatever it is we’re trying to get out of Foden.

Throw in Harry Kane’s central defensive striker role and Foden has little to no place in the England lineup as a starter imo. If we can limit Trent to 6 minutes, Phil Foden is surely dispensable too.

Everything about the city set up, style of play, tactics is suited to Foden. It brings out the absolute best in him, but thats because the movement around him is of the highest tier, its fluid and precise.
Foden grew up within that set up. He's never known anything else as a pro. It's less that City suits Foden, and more that Foden developed to suit City

If that means choosing Foden to play in Bellingham's best position then so be it, and we can sacrifice Bellingham by playing him deeper because he is equally as effective there.
Not even close
I’ve never seen anything like this before. The desperation from the media in wanting him to be the main man or be seen as the difference maker is so bizarre. I can’t help but thinking there is something more sinister to it but I won’t get into that.
i've always had that impression too, ever since the Gazza comparisons 3 years ago

Still of the same opinion? I know it’s an old post but I hopped into then thread at that point.

Obviously a very good player but doesn’t fit the England “system”. I use the word system loosely there as we barely have one due to Southgate being an idiot.
Yes I am. However I don't get what is currently wrong with Foden. Since the Iceland friendly he has been utter shit. Even as a 10. Mere reputation is keeping him in the XI.

Last edited:
Foden grew up within that set up. He's never known anything else as a pro. It's less that City suits Foden, and more that Foden developed to suit City

Not even close

i've always had that impression too, ever since the Gazza comparisons 3 years ago
Bellingham has looked equally shit as Foden. One or two moments of brilliance, but again another example of a player not looking good in the system.

This post is a crock of shit really though. KDB missed half the season, Haaland had a relatively ok season (likely down to no KDB), Salah didn't get near his usual numbers and the rest are a toss up.

Foden had 39 goal contributions (27 g + 12 a) this season.
Salah 39 (25 + 14)
Saka had 34 (20 + 14)

Given City won the league and the other two managed a league cup between them Phil deserved it over both.

This post is a crock of shit really though. KDB missed half the season, Haaland had a relatively ok season (likely down to no KDB), Salah didn't get near his usual numbers and the rest are a toss up.

Salah 39 (25 + 14)
Saka had 34 (20 + 14)

Given City won the league and the other two managed a league cup between them Phil deserved it over both.
Shouldve been Rodri Palmer or Saliba, Foden could settle for the young player award he seems to be the default winner of

Bellingham has looked equally shit as Foden. One or two moments of brilliance, but again another example of a player not looking good in the system.
Bellingham was ace in the first game. Since then Foden's performance had been stiflling him and Kane in the extreme. Saka too. The switch to the wingbacks formation rescued them somewhat. But Foden's non performance is still affecting Kane

Salah 39 (25 + 14)
Saka had 34 (20 + 14)

So he deserved the individual award because his team collectively won the league? It's clear that Saka is better, does more for Arsenal, and is more impactful for them than Foden is for City. Salah too, btw, and they were in the title race until matchweek 34.

Shouldve been Rodri Palmer or Saliba, Foden could settle for the young player award he seems to be the default winner of

Ah yes that award he's won a grand total of twice and lost to saka and Palmer last 2 years. He's clearly the default winner of that one.

There's an argument for Rodri and that's about it.

Clearly all the other players who voted for him know nothing about football... And should have voted for palmer etc... not like they played against them both to have a valid opinion.

So he deserved the individual award because his team collectively won the league? It's clear that Saka is better, does more for Arsenal, and is more impactful for them than Foden is for City. Salah too, btw, and they were in the title race until matchweek 34.

He deserved the award because he was a huge catalyst in that trophy and absolutely was cities most important attacker.

I get it, the PFA vote which is voted by other pros clearly don't know football. What would other pro footballers know about football we don't eh...

If you wanna explain how saka is more impactful for arsenal than Foden for city, please do. I can't wait to hear this nonsense.

Ah yes that award he's won a grand total of twice and lost to saka and Palmer last 2 years. He's clearly the default winner of that one.

There's an argument for Rodri and that's about it.

Clearly all the other players who voted for him know nothing about football... And should have voted for palmer etc... not like they played against them both to have a valid opinion.

Do you think Foden wins that award if City doesn't win the league? Or if he produced the same numbers and performances in 6th place Chelsea?

It's a popularity contest, clear as day.

But 5 of them... did not even come close. The other 2, whatever, you can debate them ones with yourself.

He really hasn't. He gets significantly more involved, makes more stuff happen. And those 2 moments of brilliance are why England are still in it. Nobody's looking particularly good right now yeah, and england have been crap as a team. But even when England did look good, in previous tournaments, Foden rarely did

Page I joined on says someone compared him to Rooney. I don’t even want to read that post.
Rooney Mara, maybe?
MV5BNTAwNDAzMzQwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTMyMjQwOQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Never bought the hype and I still sometimes think what is he exceptional at? Vision? No. Through balls? No. Dribbling? No. Dictating the play in the final third? No.

He’s a good player who has a little bit of everything but doesn’t excel in anything. There’s a reason he has never shone for England when players like Saka, Kane, Rice even Bellingham in his short spell has showed far more than him. Foden would be the same player after 5 years as he is right now because of his flaws.

Never bought the hype and I still sometimes think what is he exceptional at? Vision? No. Through balls? No. Dribbling? No. Dictating the play in the final third? No.

He’s a good player who has a little bit of everything but doesn’t excel in anything. There’s a reason he has never shone for England when players like Saka, Kane, Rice even Bellingham in his short spell has showed far more than him. Foden would be the same player after 5 years as he is right now because of his flaws.
Muller-esque IMO, as you say will sustain this level for the next 5-10 years.

Bellingham has done far more this tournament. 2 goals aside, Bellingham has still had some good drives into the box and trying to do something. Foden just goes hiding and barely shows himself for the ball.

He's great at receiving in tight areas around the edge of the opposition box that he usually occupies, and then turning and shooting.

It's also very aesthetic to the eye when he does these things, so people will believe he's better than he really is. Someone like Saka is more efficient, it just doesn't look as good, looks more "robotic" I guess, similar to Salah.

Eh?! So you're saying Pep's system is holding him back?! Well that's one of the wildest takes I've heard in a while...
:eek:

He's the poster boy for a player who is lost once he isn't in the system he's used to. He has no experience except under Pep and his system. He would be a much better all round player if he played for another team.

He’s a very very good player but he’s in a team with players just as good if not better. He doesn’t deserve the attention he’s had all tournament.
It's the same with Bellendingham who has, at best, been average in this tournament.

Salah 39 (25 + 14)
Saka had 34 (20 + 14)

:+1:

Rodri is the only one it could be argued should have won.

Bellingham has done far more this tournament. 2 goals aside, Bellingham has still had some good drives into the box and trying to do something. Foden just goes hiding and barely shows himself for the ball.
Steady on, he's been almost as poor, except for those two goals.

:eek:

He's the poster boy for a player who is lost once he isn't in the system he's used to. He has no experience except under Pep and his system. He would be a much better all round player if he played for another team.
Agreed on all fronts.

Steady on, he's been almost as poor, except for those two goals.
And how do you win games? X’g? Fancy dribbles?

Bellingham is Englands best and most decisive player. And I’m not even English. He might be an arrogant twat, but he’s a born match winner and the best chance for England to win this tournament together with Saka. Anything else is personal bias.

Eh?! So you're saying Pep's system is holding him back?! Well that's one of the wildest takes I've heard in a while...

I said that and DeBruyne. Hisbest positio is obviously number 10, he only played there last season and would be starting there playing every game at any other club in the league. Dont think wild statement at all

Why is the missing left back excuse not accepted for Rashford?

How did you reach that conclusion? City will probably sign a better #10 than Foden after KDB leaves. Also, as soon as Pep leaves and City get worse, you'll just see that Foden is nowhere near what his reputation suggests.

He is definitely a good player, but in no way am I jealous of City for having him. Not to mention how awful he would look at United. He's good-to-great at City in certain areas of the pitch, in certain game-states and situations. That's all he is.

This is exactly why I'm the first to go against the tide when it comes to Foden. He's a good player but the best player in the league? He's not even a top 3 player in his own fecking team. :lol:

And across the league there's definitely many players better than him. In this England team there's at least 5. Palmer, Gordon, Bellingham and Saka are all better in the same positions Foden occupies.

He is being so overestimated it's a joke.

"England's most talented player" Now I see why you laugh at me for defending Rashford. You just don't really have a clue what you're talking about, it's fine.

Because our system for England waspartly built around a left backhigh up the pitch to allow Foden to drift to a 10 position and that left back was rightfooted which attacking wise didnt work so it is irrelevant to the Rashford problems which quite frankly if that is why you think Rashford was garbage isnt even worth me answering the other points as that is pathetic reasoning

Because our system for England waspartly built around a left backhigh up the pitch to allow Foden to drift to a 10 position and that left back was rightfooted which attacking wise didnt work so it is irrelevant to the Rashford problems which quite frankly if that is why you think Rashford was garbage isnt even worth me answering the other points as that is pathetic reasoning

Not really.

Rashford lost both Shaw (the left FB) & Martial (the closest player to Kane in our squad) & had to play with Hojlund who plays in no similar mould to Kane or Martial.

This is why Zirkzee is being targeted.

Rashford is a LW inverted turning in to a LF.

Foden is a LW turning in to a LAM to try and get him more centrally but Foden is not a LW so its not working.

I thought his game vs Swiss was his best but still poor.

He's never done anything in an England shirt and this Euros in particular he's been absolutely awful.

He just drifts around the game, very very occasionally he might go past someone but then he'll just pass the ball to the opposition. None of the England attacking players have really thrived but all of them have at least produced a moment here or there. Bellingham has 2 goals, Saka equalised on Saturday even Kane has 2 goals and he can barely move.

So it's not just this tournament, Foden has been first choice for England for about 3 or 4 years and he's produced almost nothing.