Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were being linked with bringing him back in The Times today... surely this is BS?

Manchester United have had encouragement in their hopes of bringing Paul Pogba back to Old Trafford. The Juventus midfield player left the English club in 2012, refusing to sign a new contract, but is believed to be open to a return to the Premier League and specifically to United.
There is no chance of a deal this month, but David Moyes, who hopes to be able to spend more than £100 million rebuilding the team he inherited, is hopeful that United will lead the chase for Pogba’s signature in the summer. The 20-year-old will have two years left on his contract in Turin. The worry for United as they chase numerous targets is that they can easily be used by agents seeking to improve their clients’ deals.

Anyone who watched him in the reserves on a regualar basis, would only agree with Buffon. The lad looked a class apart. It was classic Ferguson to let him go because he dared to ask for more money. Some will say that he was right to let him go but when you consider how big a player he is now, and will most likely go on to be a world class midfielder, I think Fergie got it wrong, big time.
If it was about money then he would have justified it to the club and the other young players, based on how good he is. Shocking decision and one the club will regret.

Anyone who watched him in the reserves on a regualar basis, would only agree with Buffon. The lad looked a class apart. It was classic Ferguson to let him go because he dared to ask for more money. Some will say that he was right to let him go but when you consider how big a player he is now, and will most likely go on to be a world class midfielder, I think Fergie got it wrong, big time.
If it was about money then he would have justified it to the club and the other young players, based on how good he is. Shocking decision and one the club will regret.

Good guess. But just a guess still.

I dont think it was only the money, I'm sure many players have that demand, I think it was more of him demanding to be in the first team and going public to the media about his frustrations that made SAF annoyed. Again this is a guess. Nobody really knows

Think Pogba's last straw was hearing Sir Alex say he's the future and then a few weeks later bring Scholes out of retirement instead of playing him.

Whilst I don't want to drag up the whole debate, anyone who watched the reserves regularly in his final year here would see a boy who didn't really apply himself at all.

Now compare him to Januzaj, and you have 2 completely different characters and it's the character of the Januzajs of this world who will shine through for us.

I think Sir Alex's last straw was Raiola becoming his agent with the sole intent of getting him to Juve. Us offering him a contract that would have paid double what Juve were offering and them umming and ahhing over it for a year. When that happens I guess you have to plan for live without him.

I think Sir Alex's last straw was Raiola becoming his agent with the sole intent of getting him to Juve. Us offering him a contract that would have paid double what Juve were offering and them umming and ahhing over it for a year. When that happens I guess you have to plan for live without him.

Unfortunately this part never really happened.

He obviously didn't.

Indeed. Whatever has been said about him - he seemed to want to be in the first team, but felt he wouldnt get a chance. The move to Juve has paid off for him big time, so it's difficult to criticise.

Indeed. Whatever has been said about him - he seemed to want to be in the first team, but felt he wouldnt get a chance. The move to Juve has paid off for him big time, so it's difficult to criticise.

Would Pogba have really been given the kind of chances he had, if he moved to juventus the season before when they were on their unbeaten run?

He would have gone on tour with us that summer and would have made an impact the next season as Januzaj has gone on to do. Just because he didn't get a proper chance that season, I don't think he would have left had he not changed his agents twice in 1 year.

I know lets repeat this thread again, all 225 fecking pages.

OK.

Its a strange one, this, as we lost a player with enormous potential in a position where we were crying out for that kind of quality. Of all the qualities SAF is praised for it is his man management that would probably top the list, it makes you wonder how he didnt weave his magic in this instance, put his arm around his shoulder and tell him to be just a bit more patient, that he wouldnt have to wait much longer and that he was very much in his plans. Maybe this kid had a ridiculous ego but it comes with the territory in football and SAF has seen it all before. Given how quickly he found his feet at Juve he cant have been far off getting a look in with us.

Would Pogba have really been given the kind of chances he had, if he moved to juventus the season before when they were on their unbeaten run?

He would have gone on tour with us that summer and would have made an impact the next season as Januzaj has gone on to do. Just because he didn't get a proper chance that season, I don't think he would have left had he not changed his agents twice in 1 year.

I dont see why that's relevant? He chose to take a risk by moving on and was vindicated. he obviously backed himself to be a success and force his wany into the team - and did.

At the time he left we were light in midfield and he obviously felt he deserved a start. A lot of people probably scoffed at that but he then went to another big club and did just that, so fair play to him. he probably could have moved elsewhere for more money - City were apprently sniffing and I'm sure there were others where he probably wouldn't have had the chance to play.

In the end his agents may have wanted to move him on, but he seems like a headstrong lad who new his own mind, rather than going where was best for his agent's bank balance. The success he's had vindicates any decision he made anyway in my opinion.

To be fair, best choice he has made so far in his career was to move away from United. Sadly the rest is history.

It was a correct decision by him though. Juventus are doing better than us at the moment and probably have a better team, they have given him better wages and he's a regular there. Given the same choice of picks again he'd have done the same I believe, greedy agent or not. Heck, Raiola is extremely rich anyway, whatever he got for getting Pogba signed up for Juventus is probably pocket money to him.

Didn't pogba say he knew he had to leave united after fergie refused to play him, instead pairing Rafael and park in midfield? You can't really blame him for that considering us fans were just as perplexed about that decision as he was.

To be fair, best choice he has made so far in his career was to move away from United. Sadly the rest is history.

This. From not getting a look to being a first team regular in a team that is no worse and being selected by France while being paid more than he'd have at United. We like to think of ourselves as be and all of football but truth is he's in a great position now.

It's worrying how little loyalty he shows to any club, if the current rumours are to be believed. Juventus put a lot of trust in him giving him a first team spot at a young age, considering he was nowhere near the United first team only months earlier. Now he seems to have no problem moving on again. If he were to come back here he would add massively to our team, but you'd have to imagine we'd only see him in a United shirt for another two or three years until some other club come in and turns his head again.

Having said that, if there was a chance that we could re-sign him this summer, we'd have to take it. He's too good a footballer not to.

I dont see why that's relevant? He chose to take a risk by moving on and was vindicated. he obviously backed himself to be a success and force his wany into the team - and did.

At the time he left we were light in midfield and he obviously felt he deserved a start. A lot of people probably scoffed at that but he then went to another big club and did just that, so fair play to him. he probably could have moved elsewhere for more money - City were apprently sniffing and I'm sure there were others where he probably wouldn't have had the chance to play.

In the end his agents may have wanted to move him on, but he seems like a headstrong lad who new his own mind, rather than going where was best for his agent's bank balance. The success he's had vindicates any decision he made anyway in my opinion.

Well why isn't it relevant? If he was at Juve in that season, then he may have possibly (May not) been in the same situation as he was at United. Had he stayed, then he would have definitely been given opportunities the following season and dare I say it, had he signed the contract before January then he may have actually been given some proper chances that season as well.

So yeah, from a personal career point I'm not going to say he's made a bad decision. But from the same angle, had he stayed I don't think you'd say he's made a bad decision either because he would have been a first team player for us as well in his breakthrough season at Juve.

Let's talk about what really happened...

1. He had an outstanding 2010/11 season helping us win the FA Youth Cup and was a major 'potential' talent alongside Ravel Morrison

2. His form in the reserves during 2011/12 was very average

3. Fergie gave him a run out in all three League Cup games and he did ok without doing anything brilliant

4. The game against Blackburn saw us suffer terrible injury problems and Fergie played an experienced international midfielder in Ji Sung Park and took a gamble on Rafael as Carrick played centre half...when it didn't pay off he brought on more experience in Anderson at half-time. Pogba had three sub appearances behind him and was putting in average performances in the reserves. There was no logical reason Fergie would have started him and if anyone should have been pissed off that Rafael was starting it was Anderson.

5. Ferguson offered Pogba a new contract but the agent wanted a 'guarantee' of first team football. Ferguson doesn't guarantee any player a first team place so why would he do so with an inexperienced 18 year old?

6. Fergie gave Pogba more first team experience in the league and in Europe but he still decided not to sign a contract even though Fergie assured him he would get more chances this term regardless of his poor showing for the reserves during 2011/12

7. At the end of the season the agent spoke to numerous clubs and the player and his agent decided a move to Juventus would be better.

8. Fergie once again spoke to the player who refused to budge.

9. The player moved to Italy.

So, that's basically it.

I spoke to another agent who looks after youth players and in their opinion Pogba was 'badly advised' and the United offer was 'in line with other players of the same age, experience and potential'.

So either he or his agent was asking for 'guarantees' that were not forthcoming - understandably - and Fergie was reluctant to give someone a start in an important league game whose form didn't merit it.

When Tom Cleverley was asked about Scholes return...he said he was 'delighted because he had the opportunity of learning from him'...

Pogba left because he/his agent were impatient and wanted to dictate terms to the club.

Other more famous players have tried that in the past and got nowhere.

Pogba just didn't want to play for us so the club let him go.

All this talk of 'the one who got away' or 'we dropped a clanger' is basically bollocks.

Finally, we have the best record in the football league of bringing kids through and giving youngsters a chance. We don't need to look in the mirror at all when it comes to youth development.

Just quoting this post again. Some people may not have seen it........

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if Moyes went to the Juve game as a smoke screen to take the heat off him and to make the fans think that he has a chance to land a big name in january when it more than likely won't materialise

Well why isn't it relevant? If he was at Juve in that season, then he may have possibly (May not) been in the same situation as he was at United. Had he stayed, then he would have definitely been given opportunities the following season and dare I say it, had he signed the contract before January then he may have actually been given some proper chances that season as well.

So yeah, from a personal career point I'm not going to say he's made a bad decision. But from the same angle, had he stayed I don't think you'd say he's made a bad decision either because he would have been a first team player for us as well in his breakthrough season at Juve.

He "may" not have moved if circumstances were different - but you could say that about any player at any time. He wasn't at Juventus then, he did decide to move and he did get himself a place in the starting XI. At the end of the day he will probably say he made the right decision.

I'm sot sure why we're talking about what "might" have happened - because it makes non difference now.

Looking at what happened the club obviously will wish they'd kept hold of him, and Fergie may think he probably should have given him more of a chance, but he didnt, so nothing can be done about that.

He "may" not have moved if circumstances were different - but you could say that about any player at any time. He wasn't at Juventus then, he did decide to move and he did get himself a place in the starting XI. At the end of the day he will probably say he made the right decision.

I'm sot sure why we're talking about what "might" have happened - because it makes non difference now.

Looking at what happened the club obviously will wish they'd kept hold of him, and Fergie may think he probably should have given him more of a chance, but he didnt, so nothing can be done about that.

But that's the whole point I'm making. It may have been a good decision for him to have moved to Juventus, but by The same token, I think it would have been as equally good a decision for him to stay with us because he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet now.

It's worked out for him and he's an international player now so it's worked out for him and I'm not bitter about it anymore, it's just a shame that it could have been so different.

But that's the whole point I'm making. It may have been a good decision for him to have moved to Juventus, but by The same token, I think it would have been as equally good a decision for him to stay with us because he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet now.

It's worked out for him and he's an international player now so it's worked out for him and I'm not bitter about it anymore, it's just a shame that it could have been so different.

I understand the point you are making. I just dont see the relevance of "what if's".

Staying here may have been a better decision - but considering he's a current international, a regular in a title winning side and potentially primed to move for mega money some time in the near future (along with probably a massive increase in salary and status) I think it's difficult to make a solid case for that.

I understand the point you are making. I just dont see the relevance of "what if's".

Staying here may have been a better decision - but considering he's a current international, a regular in a title winning side and potentially primed to move for mega money some time in the near future (along with probably a massive increase in salary and status) I think it's difficult to make a solid case for that.

Because I refute the claims that he made the "right decision". Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he made a bad decision or the wrong decision, I think he made a good decision that would have been equally as good a decision had he stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.