Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen nothing from Powell yet to suggest he's in the same class as Pogba. I really want him to be and I know he's got quality, but don't think we should get our hopes up just yet given that we've not really seen too much from him. He's hardly been outstanding for reserves and his positional sense may actually be worse than Pogba's when he was here (which is impressive given that Pogba genuinely didn't look like he wanted the ball at times).

Was about to post this but you beat me to it. Pogba's class was obvious for everyone to see, he oozed class and you knew he'd be a top class player be that at United or another team. Powell looks a decent young talent, nothing more, nothing less.

A very strong suggestion that he's going to get his first call up for France for their next squad. He's brilliant. Unfortunately, I don't think the club could have done much more.

Was about to post this but you beat me to it. Pogba's class was obvious for everyone to see, he oozed class and you knew he'd be a top class player be that at United or another team. Powell looks a decent young talent, nothing more, nothing less.

I think a lot of the hype is coming off the back of Fergie's comments and expectations. Again, not saying there isn't talent there but I think the excitement of some is maybe a bit disproportionate to how he's actually played. If we hadn't signed him from elsewhere I think the expectations would be a lot more in line and realistic.

There does look to be something about him, mind. He keeps showing snippets of the various strings he has to his bow, though he's not had a performance yet whereby he's brought it altogether and shat on the opposition. This is mainly because of positional naivety but I'm guessing he's probably also just getting used to the massive step up between Crewe and Manchester United.

Urghh...the Pogba thing IS annoying, though. It's all well and good saying we should move on and that's fair enough - I'm certainly not losing sleep over it - but this is going to be worse than the Pique and Rossi transfers at this rate. Those two were quality young talents, but there were various things standing in their way. Rossi was unfortunate with a loan deal to Newcastle and had the likes of Rooney, Saha, Van Nistelrooy, etc to contend with whilst he was here, where as Pique had perhaps the best United defence ever assembled to break into in a league which many felt rightly or wrongly that he wasn't suited to.

Pogba...there was such a clear avenue into the first team on the surface of things if he were to be more patient or if we were to afford him more chances.

Wait. So he's actually worth the "ridiculous" wages he apparently wanted? I'm glad we didn't give in though. That 5, 10 or 20k a week more would've destroyed our wage structure and imagine what exceptional talents like Tunniclife, Keane or Wootton would've demanded.

Wait. So he's actually worth the "ridiculous" wages he apparently wanted? I'm glad we didn't give in though. That 5, 10 or 20k a week more would've destroyed our wage structure and imagine what exceptional talents like Tunniclife, Keane or Wootton would've demanded.

angry_little_girl_body_language.jpg

A very strong suggestion that he's going to get his first call up for France for their next squad. He's brilliant. Unfortunately, I don't think the club could have done much more.

The club could have done a lot more to give him game time. He is the first rotation choice at Juve. after a few months of leaving us. Now either he developed at an extremely high rate or he was capable of playing at the same level for us last year. Park played a total of 30 games last year(included sub appearances), keeping in mind that we all knew he was leaving those appearances would have benefited us much more if we had let pogba play instead.

The club could have done a lot more to give him game time. He is the first rotation choice at Juve. after a few months of leaving us. Now either he developed at an extremely high rate or he was capable of playing at the same level for us last year. Park played a total of 30 games last year(included sub appearances), keeping in mind that we all knew he was leaving those appearances would have benefited us much more if we had let pogba play instead.

I also think that if we has played him more, he would have stayed.

I just don't understand why, if he was so good, we didn't send him out on loan, like we usually do with our most talented youngsters.

I also think that if we has played him more, he would have stayed.

yup and 20k per week isnt an outrageous amount for a first rotation choice. Ferguson fecked up really badly in his handling of this kid and it is most likely going to cost us upwards of £20m to replace him neglecting the wages.

yup and 20k per week isnt an outrageous amount for a first rotation choice. Ferguson fecked up really badly in his handling of this kid and it is most likely going to cost us upwards of £20 to replace him neglecting the wages.

Dont think it was as clear cut as that though. SAF said he'd already agreed to a deal with Juve.

Dont think it was as clear cut as that though. SAF said he'd already agreed to a deal with Juve.

A year in advance?:eek: I find that hard to believe. And with all due respect to Ferguson, he is hardly going to come out and say that the club mishandled the whole situation.

If we had offered him the same playing time(conti told him he will be the first replacement choice) and an extra 5k/10k more, the only advantage juve. had over us was the lifestyle. I dont think living in italy was that big a factor for him if all other things would have been the same.

At that point? Not a chance, he played him a couple of times well after that game.

Don't blame him for leaving. If he had been still at United, he'd probably only have played two games so far which would have been the Carling Cup games and would probably have come on both as late subs as well.

Really strange though, don't have we have "when you're good enough, you're old enough" philosophy? It's not as if we had massive quality in central midfield of his type of player either.

Great decision by him, he's done the right thing for himself.

The rumors of him joining Juve started well before that blackburn match. It started as soon as he appointed Raiola as his agent.

The rumors of him joining Juve started well before that blackburn match. It started as soon as he appointed Raiola as his agent.

Indeed, and an 18 year old getting stroppy about not getting picked for the first team in a Premiership game can feck off. I don't care if he had Rafael ahead of him, Rafael had nearly 100 appearances for us at that point and Ferguson asked him to do a specific job. That is Fergusons call and whether its the right or wrong one Pogba would have done well to respect it.

There is clearly a hell of a lot of talent there but I can't see him realising his potential because he's clearly got distractions already.

Again a superb performance from him. Not only he scored a goal which wasn't allowed (thought it wasn't that much a clear foul), and he hit the bar from 20 meters and then scored the winner, but he was at the center of everything. Practically he was the playmaker in Juve's side, and Pirlo was in game. Best player on the pitch by a big distance.

Chances are that his departure could be Ferguson's biggest mistake in player's management. He really reminded me tonight of Keane/Vieira.

:(

What next? Ravel fulfilling his potential ?

There is clearly a hell of a lot of talent there but I can't see him realising his potential because he's clearly got distractions already.

Distractions like?

At that point? Not a chance, he played him a couple of times well after that game.

SAF said he'd agreed a deal behind the club's back early in the year.

The wages for Pogba were not the problem, it was the 3m his agent wanted that was the problem.

How do you know this? I dont recall reading something like this.

A year in advance?:eek: I find that hard to believe. And with all due respect to Ferguson, he is hardly going to come out and say that the club mishandled the whole situation.

If we had offered him the same playing time(conti told him he will be the first replacement choice) and an extra 5k/10k more, the only advantage juve. had over us was the lifestyle. I dont think living in italy was that big a factor for him if all other things would have been the same.

SAF said that Pogba had gone behind the club's back and agreed a deal much earlier. As you said though, take it with a pinch of salt.

Indeed, and an 18 year old getting stroppy about not getting picked for the first team in a Premiership game can feck off. I don't care if he had Rafael ahead of him, Rafael had nearly 100 appearances for us at that point and Ferguson asked him to do a specific job. That is Fergusons call and whether its the right or wrong one Pogba would have done well to respect it.

Well, it depends. If you're a top talent you want games. You think a Munain or a Gotze will be happy not playing games at all? I'm not saying Pogba is as good of course. But if he's indeed a supremely talented footballer who believes he is ready and the club is stagnating him then he has every right to consider his future. If he does well for Juve quickly, then maybe that's a hint that we should have believed in his abilities more.

It would have been good if Pogba stayed but whatever. Ravel is the one I want to come back, if he can sort himself out.

Well, it depends. If you're a top talent you want games. You think a Munain or a Gotze will be happy not playing games at all? I'm not saying Pogba is as good of course. But if he's indeed a supremely talented footballer who believes he is ready and the club is stagnating him then he has every right to consider his future. If he does well for Juve quickly, then maybe that's a hint that we should have believed in his abilities more.

Lot easier to get games for younger player at clubs with limited financial resources.

If we do badly, then maybe it's a hint that we should have kept him.

I wouldn't necessary agree with this. Of course that Pogba has a lot more to prove and has played a lot less than them, but still.

Talk with every Juve fan and they will say that Pogba was their best midfielder this year (they have Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal, Assamoah, Isla there). And the performance yesterday was world class, I mean if he can play like that in every week (a big if) he would be in a shortlist for Golden Ball. Not exxageration there, and of course that he won't play like this in every week (at-least right now) but he was superb every time this season. If he continue his development in this rate, for 3 years he would be one of the best midfielders in the world.

Hard to argue that Pogba didn't make the right move for himself. He got more money, his agent got more money and he is making his name for a European super club whilst challenging for major honours.

If he had stayed with us he probably would have been on loan a Wigan right now.

I hope that SAF gives Powell and Keane some game time in the Premier League this season. I feel that they both showed enough last night, in Powell's case in his couple of appearances, to indicate that they have the confidence to be top flight players. There is no reason why they can't play in a home game against a lower league team.

its a strange one. On the one hand he is happy to pay Ashley young more than Valencia and then we are fighting hard against Nani wage demands which are not too outlandish. It was clear Pogba was very talented. Was it an issue of game time rather than wages? I dont see Juve paying more than us. As to his agent not sure what to make of him.

So did Fergie mess this one up? He could have like he did with Stam, but no one is infallible.

yup and 20k per week isnt an outrageous amount for a first rotation choice. Ferguson fecked up really badly in his handling of this kid and it is most likely going to cost us upwards of £20 to replace him neglecting the wages.

Even if it has to cost us upwards of £25 it still sounds like a bargain though.

I seem to recall that we offered him a higher wage? It was Duncan Castles mind.

As far as I'm concerned if it wasn't now Pogba would have fecked off eventually, that Raiola fella is bad news.

Really strange though, don't have we have "when you're good enough, you're old enough" philosophy? It's not as if we had massive quality in central midfield of his type of player either.

Great decision by him, he's done the right thing for himself.

Smalling, Jones, Rafael, De Gea, Welbeck, Powell, etc have all got game time at very young ages, yet people here are questioning Fergie not putting Pogba in because he was too young. It's pretty fecking clear his age had nothing to do with it, Ferguson has never been shy of spending on youth and then playing them. There is more to this than Ferguson not wanting to play him because he was too young. None of us know what was going on behind the scenes.

Smalling, Jones, Rafael, De Gea, Welbeck, Powell, etc have all got game time at very young ages, yet people here are questioning Fergie not putting Pogba in because he was too young. It's pretty fecking clear his age had nothing to do with it, Ferguson has never been shy of spending on youth and then playing them. There is more to this than Ferguson not wanting to play him because he was too young. None of us know what was going on behind the scenes.

But if SAF was sure that he is gone I doubt that he would have give him those 3-4 appearances and other bench places. If SAF was trying to convince him to sign the contract, he didn't gave enough minutes in pitch. It really doesn't make sense to me.

So I think that SAF didn't trust him at the time and thought that he wasn't still good enough to play for the first team.

Even if it has to cost us upwards of £25 it still sounds like a bargain though.

:lol: edited.

Welbeck had two loan spells before cementing his place in the squad while jones/de gea/smalling got their experience else where. The only exception in that list is rafeal who got his playing experience with us but injuries to almost all of our rbs obviously helped him a lot with that. If we had a settled RB, I fully expected him to go out on loan before returning and cementing his place. With powell, we will know more at the end of the season if ferguson is going to trust him or not. I do feel that he has gotten a lot more conservative nowadays compared to yesteryears.

How do you know this? I dont recall reading something like this.

He's right, we were offering higher wages than Juve, we just refused to pay his agent.

What was rumoured at the time was Ferguson was more than willing to give him more games last year, but he'd only do it once Pogba signed the contract.

and this is what we could have had...

0:27, what a beauty

Good luck to him, we won't suffer but we have lost out no doubt. We will still be successful without him obviously.

It was fairly obvious to most of us that saw him at reserve/youth level that he was going to be a good player. No surprises.

Yeah, if anyone is surprised they shouldn't be. Now everyone realises why a few were anxious for United to just cough up the agent fees.

and this is what we could have had...

0:27, what a beauty

Good luck to him, we won't suffer but we have lost out no doubt. We will still be successful without him obviously.

fecking this guy is going to be one of the best midfielders if not the best in 2-3 years.

Never felt so jealous? of letting a youngster go. Not even Rossi, Pique, Dong!

Gotta let it go now, guys. This is football and things like these happen all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.