Overrated Players

Kane- been in two finals lost both was crap in both. Best thing since sliced bread simply because hes English? Hes compared to the likes of Lewandowski and Benzema :lol: he couldnt lace either of their boots.

Robertson- plays well in a system but isnt even the best left back for Scotland, Tierney is imo. Vastly over rated because he was cheap and fits into Klopps system.

Maguire-not much really needs to be said I was so against him signing for us and im still disappointed hes here. Can’t defend unless hes covered by players in front of him and beside him. This guy is the most expensive defender of all time currently and hes just a shitter version of Phil Jones. We will win nothing with him here. He’s slow pace wise, football intelligence wise can’t lead the team on the pitch like a captain is supposed to. Fails at everything he is meant to be good at.

Can't agree on Ronaldinho but I am with you on Zlatan. Again, when did he ever play at the very highest level? There was that one season at Barcelona where he failed. Other than that, he played most his career in a relatively weak Serie A and Ligue 1. He never had a top performance in the latter decisive rounds of the CL and never been an essential part in a main contender. It feels unfair to count him in the same category as those who did.

Ronaldinhos peak was very unique to other top players. It was beautiful. For that reason I don't mind people overrating him.

But sometimes he gets put in the category of Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona etc and I don't know if he should belong there. Maybe just for his peak he should.

Btw, R9 is another one. I won't say he is overrated but some do like to exaggerate how good he was. That's just nostalgia though.

I’ve literally never heard anyone say that about Mount apart from silly pundits who overrate all English players, and yes of course he’s fit to lace Foden’s boots. In a thread about overrated players, your post is exhibit A for Foden, who gets so wildly overrated that it’s almost unfair to the kid.

I have to say, I fully expected one of the resident Chelsea fans to jump to his defense. I don't know, the guy just doesn't do it for me. Plus he had that awful goatee at one point.

Regarding the bootlaces comment, that was a bit of an exaggeration. I'm sure he could figure it out, if he put his mind to it.

David Beckham. Good cross and free kicks but he was highly rated only because he played with Scholes, Giggs and Keane.

Am i doing it right? This is a joke thread, right? :nervous:

"He can't tackle, he can't head the ball, he can't dribble and he's got no left foot and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's alright." - George Best.

TAA.

Very good going forward when Liverpool had/have a strong team that dominates possession and opponent drops meaning his defensive duties are mostly not needed.

If they don’t dominate and/or teams attack them, looks bang average defensively… which is surely important in a defender? yet media has him on a pedestal.

Hannibal Mejbri? L'Equipe linking him with a loan to the mighty FC Andorra today..

It'll probably seem as though I'm just saying this because of the terrible game he had on Monday night but I've thought for a while that James Milner is one of those players that so many people think is "underrated" that he's actually become quite overrated.

Ronaldinhos peak was very unique to other top players. It was beautiful. For that reason I don't mind people overrating him.

But sometimes he gets put in the category of Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona etc and I don't know if he should belong there. Maybe just for his peak he should.

Btw, R9 is another one. I won't say he is overrated but some do like to exaggerate how good he was. That's just nostalgia though.
Agree on Ronaldinho! Consistency has to count for something and that's why I don't think he is in the same echelon. I just can't have it on R9. I agree that a lot of former players, especially defenders and defensive midfielders get overhyped to high heavens. It's human nature, criticizing the now is always easier especially with how social media magnifies everything. But R9! Might be nostalgia as you say as he was my first favorite player, I think for many like me, we just never seen that explosiveness and power mixed with technique from anyone else but of course injuries affected his return and numbers when compared to some others. But I just can't think of anyone who got fans off their seats and delivered against the best in my years in this planet which is the past 33 years more than him except Messi. He didn't even divide opinions from what I remember, everybody just thought that kid was special and he turned out to be. I can accept that the final return falls short of Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo but it's hard to say R9 is overrated :drool:

Carrick gets massively overrated by United fans for sure. Beckham always falls somewhere between being massively overrated due to his superstar status and underrated for the same reason.

Agree on Ronaldinho! Consistency has to count for something and that's why I don't think he is in the same echelon. I just can't have it on R9. I agree that a lot of former players, especially defenders and defensive midfielders get overhyped to high heavens. It's human nature, criticizing the now is always easier especially with how social media magnifies everything. But R9! Might be nostalgia as you say as he was my first favorite player, I think for many like me, we just never seen that explosiveness and power mixed with technique from anyone else but of course injuries affected his return and numbers when compared to some others. But I just can't think of anyone who got fans off their seats and delivered against the best in my years in this planet which is the past 33 years more than him except Messi. He didn't even divide opinions from what I remember, everybody just thought that kid was special and he turned out to be. I can accept that the final return falls short of Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo but it's hard to say R9 is overrated :drool:

Right. I did start with "I won't say he's overrated but" ;)

I think we weren't as critical back then. Didn't see every game in so much detail and scrutiny as modern players. I wouldn't say it's wrong to say he was one of the greatest forwards of all time but the exaggeration to me comes from him never having bad games etc.

Declan Rise, I mean he's a good CDM but no where near the level for the hype he produces. If he wasn't English he wouldn't cost half of what west ham rates him.

Ronaldo even after all those injuries always looked few levels above everyone on the pitch. Always delivered in big moments too. But his trophy cabinet at club level is rather poor for one of the all time greats tbh, I can see why someone think he was overrated.

I have to say, I fully expected one of the resident Chelsea fans to jump to his defense. I don't know, the guy just doesn't do it for me. Plus he had that awful goatee at one point.

Regarding the bootlaces comment, that was a bit of an exaggeration. I'm sure he could figure it out, if he put his mind to it.

I usually let shit hot takes slide but some users, I just expect better, so take it as a compliment (I tried my best to word this differently but it comes across insanely patronising regardless, so apologies in advance :lol: )

Ronaldo even after all those injuries always looked few levels above everyone on the pitch. Always delivered in big moments too. But his trophy cabinet at club level is rather poor for one of the all time greats tbh, I can see why someone think he was overrated.

I remember Saf saying after his hattrick at OT "He's the best player in the world what can you do?"

Park Ji Sung used to have a lot of poor games that were brushed under the carpet because he apparently ’made space for others’.
Running around a lot is all well and good but it would’ve been nice if he didn’t fall over every other time he touched the ball.

Carrick gets massively overrated by United fans for sure. Beckham always falls somewhere between being massively overrated due to his superstar status and underrated for the same reason.

He's a funny one, during his playing career for us he was underrated by a lot of the fan base. Towards the end of his career it got better, but he was still underrated. Post career though it's went the other way, he's vastly overrated now. Very good player no doubt, but the long line of central mids we've had since his retirement who can't make a simple pass has made us appreciate him more and as a result overrate him to an extent

A bit controversial but I think Dennis Irwin is a tad bit overrated by United fans. Not to say he wasn’t world class but any thread about him on here is riddled with cliches. Some people seem to genuinely believe he never had a bad game. It’s something that players from previous eras benefit from in general, they didn’t have YouTube videos uploaded showing their every touch after each game so if their team was successful, they face a lot less scrutiny than the current generation of players.

Drogba was great , I thought his reputation would hold up well but everyone seems to shit on him recently.

He also had 2 hypercharged goalscoring seasons which should prove he could put up insane numbers as well, in fact had there not been an afcon that year he could have broke the all time record number of goals scored in a season.

The truth he was great and when at his best, unplayable. The problem starts when he starts getting compared to Henry. That's a bit disrespectful to the latter. Drogba drifted in and out of form too much to ever be considered at that level

I usually let shit hot takes slide but some users, I just expect better, so take it as a compliment (I tried my best to word this differently but it comes across insanely patronising regardless, so apologies in advance :lol: )

Football is all about opinions, innit? Even the shit ones :wenger:

Steven Gerrard.
Actually don’t think Gerrard was overrated, played in some shit Liverpool sides and won major honours. Think if he went to Real Madrid that time he’d be thought of much higher.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

From his wikipedia:
He is regarded as one of the greatest strikers of all time

I guess this comes down to one's own definition of greatness. Of course, his longevity is almost completely unmatched. To still be scoring regularly in Serie A at 41 is absolutely insane and he's been scoring regularly in competitive leagues for 23 years. By that measure he is one of the best of all time. His highlight reel of best goals would be right up there with any player in history too.

But at his peak, I never really considered him to be a top 5 forward in the world at any point and certainly not top 3. I could name quite a lot of strikers just since when I started watching football in the late 90s who I would easily have over him at their peaks, so for me, he isn't one of the best ever. While exaggerated by some, there absolutely was truth in the idea that he too often played poorly in important games.

Steven Gerrard.

In his time, sure. I actually think he's become underrated now, if anything. From the way some people talk about him, you'd think he was Robbie Savage with a decent long-range shot on him!

Last edited:
I'll start

Didier Drogba- He scored a few cup final goals and people compare him to the best premier league strikers at all times. Not a chance. He never had the technique or goal scoring record to hang up there with Aguero, Henry & Shearer, even Rooney was better.

Go.

No. Just no. Delete this.

He's a funny one, during his playing career for us he was underrated by a lot of the fan base. Towards the end of his career it got better, but he was still underrated. Post career though it's went the other way, he's vastly overrated now. Very good player no doubt, but the long line of central mids we've had since his retirement who can't make a simple pass has made us appreciate him more and as a result overrate him to an extent
Carrick was a player that you appreciated more watching him live.

I'll be a bit controversial here and go for Vieira. Formidable in the PL, although we have to say that was by no mean a golden age for the PL, it was not bad but he basically had one top team to compete against. And his record in the CL and internationally is mediocre. I don't understand why he gets compared to the very best midfielders who did it at a much higher stage.

You do know that Fergie actually wanted to sign Viera at some point? When Viera came into the league, his playing style, position and productivity was new to the league. Roy Keane had to reinvent himself to play against him, Perfect box to box midfielder. Viera is not overrated.

Carrick was a player that you appreciated more watching him live.

Exactly. I run an academy and I tell my kids don't look at the flair players on TV, look at the ones that do the simple things consistently to keep their team ticking. Look at players like Matic, Camavinga, Fabregas, Pirlo, etc. Those are players who EVERY coach would pick because they do the simple things well.

Last edited:
Can't understand how Vieira has been mentioned. He's genuinely one of the best I've seen in the PL.

For me the most overrated player in the history of the PL was Samir Nasri. There was a time when he was at Arsenal that they were raving about him being like Zidane, yet I only ever remember him playing well when Arsenal already had a comfortable lead. If you were down 2-0, Nasri was a massive liability. His play later in his career means he is remembered as being very average, but for a while, everyone and everything at SKY thought he was incredible.

I don't think anyone rated Nasri that highly. He was a good player but no one rated him to be the next Zidane (maybe only the French). He had good qualities but that only gets you 30% of the way. The other 70% is hard work and attitude, both of which he had none.

I don't think anyone rated Nasri that highly. He was a good player but no one rated him to be the next Zidane (maybe only the French). He had good qualities but that only gets you 30% of the way. The other 70% is hard work and attitude, both of which he had none.
That other fella that played for Newcastle was pretty overrated though..