Overrated Players

I think TAA is judged harshly in here. He's not a traditional right back, frankly I just look at him as a playmaker that is positioned in the RB position. There's a lot of talk about his lack of defence but he's been an overwhelming net positive to Liverpool despite some of his shortcomings.

Average to poor defensively but definitely in a GOAT category when it comes to his offensive game. Its okay to mention his flaws but be honest and also mention what makes him such a great player too.

Phil Foden. Good player don’t get me wrong but nowhere near as good as hes hyped up to be, without Pep he will be the next Jack Wilshere (without the injuries)

Messi. The feck has that wee lad ever done when it wasn't handed to him on a plate by his Barca team mates. Never won a world cup so shouldn't even be in a conversation with the likes of Pele, Maradona or even Olivier Giroud.

Mo Salah
Trent Alexander Arnold
Fabinho
Luis Diaz
Phil Foden
Ruben Dias
Kai Havertz
Mason Mount
N'Golo Kante
Harry Kane
Declan Rice
Jadon Sancho

Phil Foden. Good player don’t get me wrong but nowhere near as good as hes hyped up to be, without Pep he will be the next Jack Wilshere (without the injuries)
Agree. The way the press talks him up you would have thought he was Maradona reborn.

Drogba was great , I thought his reputation would hold up well but everyone seems to shit on him recently.

He also had 2 hypercharged goalscoring seasons which should prove he could put up insane numbers as well, in fact had there not been an afcon that year he could have broke the all time record number of goals scored in a season.

I think TAA is a good footballer who is massively overrated because we're obsessed with his nominal position on the pitch rather than the role he plays in the team. When Liverpool are on song he looks great because he's able to contribute offensively without being challenged too much defensively, but when they're not and he's actually called upon to do things you want a full back to do, he routinely costs them. When he's putting in amazing crosses, people tend to assume he's doing that on top of being good at the normal stuff a right back does defensively, when he simply isn't - he's doing that instead of being good at the normal stuff a right back does.

If you were going to put him into a Premier League XI in a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, it would have to be as the right midfielder/winger, and there are at least 10-20 better options in that position.

Foden would be absolutely exceptional if he had an outstanding physical attribute (like pace or strength) to help him exploit his technical ability. As it stands he's talented and a clever player but he can't routinely hurt teams in the way you'd expect him to given the hype.

Most overrated player from some PL teams:

Man City: Foden - remember some media comparing him to Maradona at one point, good player but definitely no better than Mahrez, Grealish and their other forwards/wingers.

Liverpool: Henderson winning Player of the Year was a joke within so much talent on that Liverpool team, solid midfielder but never truly elite. Now he’s out of form and being exposed.

United: Any new signing is instantly much better than before. Already you see the likes of Martinez and Malacia getting hero treatment. I think they look good but I remember Darmian and Wan Bissaka’s starts and Rojo was also a warrior.

Chelsea: Jorginho was overrated when he catapulted into Ballon d’Or contention simply because he happened to be in winning teams despite not being in the best midfielder for either club or country and not even the top 3 players on either team.

Spurs: Kane is overrated by people, mostly media, that often say he’s as good as Lewandowski or Benzema, he just isn’t.

Yeah! I mean who was Gerrard, Lampard, Ozil, Eriksen, Mata or David Silva anyway? Easily dominated all of them.

Gerrard and Lampard, really? They were at the end of their careers at that time. Eriksen, Ozil and Mata played in different positions to Yaya.

You compare the era Yaya played in to the era of Scholes, Gerrard, Alonso, Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Fabregas battling amongst themselves (not including Keane and Vieira since they didn't play after the mid 00's). Yaya hardly faced the same competitors domestically. When he did in Europe, he was regularly ineffective.

I agree with people who say Foden. He's a great player obviously and still young, but he's nowhere near best players in the world like a lot of people say.

I think Robertson is a bit overrated considering his ability. He's great in this Klopp system, but anytime I have watched him play for Scotland he's just a Leighton Baines.

Plenty of players in mid-table EPL clubs are overrated to me: Bissouma, Lamptey, Adama, Neves, Smith-Rowe, McGinn.

To a more controversial opinion, I find Shearer a bit overrated among Premier League fans. He's not won much, never done it in Europe and Harry Kane might end up scoring more goals in the Premier League if he plays long enough while also being a better all-around player. And no one ever consider Kane anywhere near best players to ever grace the Premier League, unlike Shearer.

Always thought Ribery looked a bit ordinary compared to the hype around him.

I'll be a bit controversial here and go for Vieira. Formidable in the PL, although we have to say that was by no mean a golden age for the PL, it was not bad but he basically had one top team to compete against. And his record in the CL and internationally is mediocre. I don't understand why he gets compared to the very best midfielders who did it at a much higher stage.
Can we respond with gifs or is that banned now

This may sound blasphemous but Zlatan by the casual fans. Insanely talented and a unique player for a striker but he had some glaring weaknesses as well.

Here comes the worst opinion probably but Ronaldinhos career gets overrated. His peak was art and greatness combined but in context he didn't have all that many great years did he. Though, it's justified for the art he provided us for those few years.

agree in part, but when the peak is THAT high, it’s difficult to call him overrated.

For me the most overrated player in the history of the PL was Samir Nasri. There was a time when he was at Arsenal that they were raving about him being like Zidane, yet I only ever remember him playing well when Arsenal already had a comfortable lead. If you were down 2-0, Nasri was a massive liability. His play later in his career means he is remembered as being very average, but for a while, everyone and everything at SKY thought he was incredible.

Hazard was incredible, and has made the transition from overrated (from some ) to underrated (from some)

I'll be a bit controversial here and go for Vieira. Formidable in the PL, although we have to say that was by no mean a golden age for the PL, it was not bad but he basically had one top team to compete against. And his record in the CL and internationally is mediocre. I don't understand why he gets compared to the very best midfielders who did it at a much higher stage.
What's mediocre about Vieira's international record? Twice in the Team of the Tournament at Euro 2000 and World Cup 2006. Won a Euros and a runner-up in the World Cup.

Hazard was as overrated as they come, his status in PL came mostly from lack of superstars. His stats aren´t top player status not even close.
Hate how he got protected by the PL refs while others had the hacks all game long.

Having started this thread with Drogba is a weird one, Drogba was one of the strongest forwards I have ever seen. His game was just fantastic strength, speed and technique, bit of a dick but what a player.

Gerrard and Lampard, really? They were at the end of their careers at that time. Eriksen, Ozil and Mata played in different positions to Yaya.

You compare the era Yaya played in to the era of Scholes, Gerrard, Alonso, Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Fabregas battling amongst themselves (not including Keane and Vieira since they didn't play after the mid 00's). Yaya hardly faced the same competitors domestically. When he did in Europe, he was regularly ineffective.
Gerrard is 3 years older than Yaya, Essien the same age and played in the same period, Lampard did play in the same era though so, Fabregas is 4 years younger and played for both Arsenal and Chelsea in the same era, Ballack came to Chelsea at 30 and played in the same era, you could also mention players like Carrick, Cazorla, Henderson, Van der Vaart, Modric. His era was nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be. Even Scholes and Ballack played some matches in the same era. He was instrumental to City winning the league in both 11/12 and 13/14. That 13/14 season is some of the most impressive seasons ever from a CM. He was unplayable.

This may sound blasphemous but Zlatan by the casual fans. Insanely talented and a unique player for a striker but he had some glaring weaknesses as well.

Here comes the worst opinion probably but Ronaldinhos career gets overrated. His peak was art and greatness combined but in context he didn't have all that many great years did he. Though, it's justified for the art he provided us for those few years.
Can't agree on Ronaldinho but I am with you on Zlatan. Again, when did he ever play at the very highest level? There was that one season at Barcelona where he failed. Other than that, he played most his career in a relatively weak Serie A and Ligue 1. He never had a top performance in the latter decisive rounds of the CL and never been an essential part in a main contender. It feels unfair to count him in the same category as those who did.

Hazard will always be the first that comes to mind. People on social media act like he's been on the same level as Ronaldo and Messi. Not even in the same tier as Neymar and other greats. He was a very good player, but never on that level, although delusional Chelsea fans think he does. Also declined very rapidly, but that might be outside of his control. Injuries suck.

Other than that I think Bruno hasn't done a lot for us lately for the praise he gets from the fanbase and Sancho was a massive overpay who looks good on the counter attack but against lesser opposition can't beat his man in a 1 on 1 if his life depended on it.

Drogba is actually underrated because of his goal record. Doesn’t take into account how he bullied defenders (apart from Vidic), his brilliant link up play and overall presence and how he nearly always performed in big matches. Far, far better than Lukaku for example who scored more goals.

Actually vidic said in an interview the striker he hated marking the most was Drogba

Gerrard is 3 years older than Yaya, Essien the same age and played in the same period, Lampard did play in the same era though so, Fabregas is 4 years younger and played for both Arsenal and Chelsea in the same era, Ballack came to Chelsea at 30 and played in the same era, you could also mention players like Carrick, Cazorla, Henderson, Van der Vaart, Modric. His era was nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be. Even Scholes and Ballack played some matches in the same era. He was instrumental to City winning the league in both 11/12 and 13/14. That 13/14 season is some of the most impressive seasons ever from a CM. He was unplayable.

Gerrard is only 3 years older but his peak was before Yaya joined, he also started having injury problems iirc in the 2010s so he wasn't near his best level. Lampard as well was into his early 30s and past his peak, Scholes and Ballack as well. The point is that the period from 2004-2009 had some great midfielders at or close to their peak competing in the top sides. You speak of VDV, Henderson, Cazorla but do you honestly think those players are at the level of the other aforementioned players at their peaks?

In the 13/14 season Liverpool's central midfield was usually Gerrard-Lucas/Henderson-Coutinho. Arsenal was Arteta/Flamini-Carzola-Ozil, United was Carrick-Cleverley/Fellaini and Chelsea was Lampard-Ramires/Mikel-Oscar. That isn't near as good as the midfields you had in the top EPL teams during the mid 2000's and illustrates my point about the quality in the league at that time. Yaya was a level above those guys, but still not on the level of good European competition compatriots.

I find most of the dribble-merchants in the PL overrated. Players like ASM, Zaha and Adama often pleases the eye, but lack endproduct, effectiveness and kills more moves than not.
Bernardo is also one I think is massively overrated by many.