Omar Berrada | Man Utd CEO

It's genuinely dishonest journalism to take quotes given before the Liverpool game and act as if they're a response to it.

That said, I'd be scared if I were ten Hag. Seems a very blatant attempt by Berrarda to distance himself from the decision to keep Ten Hag and create some room to operate. He'll be gone quickly unless he can get us playing good, winning football

Interesting wording. Gives them cover to explore alternatives and sack him as he isn't really part of their long term vision. Basically "He is fine for now, but we do intend to replace him sooner or later".

This was my impression over the summer. ETH would be given a small opportunity to prove himself while the new CEO and his team settled in, but wouldn't last long if/when things started to go wrong.

Why does that matter? Do you flip-flop opinions based on 90 mins of football? Bookies had Liverpool as clear favorites so the outcome of that game should not have come as a surprise to anyone.

The majority of this forum does exactly that. The turnaround on the sack Ten Hag vote after the FA Cup final was ridiculous.

It's genuinely dishonest journalism to take quotes given before the Liverpool game and act as if they're a response to it.
Or how about this, don't make utterly daft comments about the manager having your full backing before a home game against your main rivals that you're expected to lose. If those comments can make you look like a fool after one game, simply don't make those in the first place.

Or how about this, don't make utterly daft comments about the manager having your full backing before a home game against your main rivals that you're expected to lose. If those comments can make you look like a fool after one game, simply don't make those in the first place.
What do you expect him to say though? “We’re not happy about the manager one bit and horsechoker would do the job better”?

Or how about this, don't make utterly daft comments about the manager having your full backing before a home game against your main rivals that you're expected to lose.

The utterly daft thing was not sacking ten Hag in the summer, but we already knew that. As that decision was already made what would expect them to say? 'Yeah actually we think he's total shit and can't wait to sack him, but we preferred to waste the start of the season for shits and giggles'.

It's a completely uninteresting quote before the game and doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know about what INEOS had decided to do.

All these journos are hoping is to ragebait United fans into thinking it's a reaction to the Liverpool game to drive clicks.

Vote of confidence—it’s a penultimate nail in the coffin.

What do you expect him to say though? “We’re not happy about the manager one bit and horsechoker would do the job better”?
You don't think there's a middle ground between "he has our full backing" and "we're not happy with him"? What is this obsession with dealing with absolute extremes at all times?

You don't think there's a middle ground between "he has our full backing" and "we're not happy with him"? What is this obsession with dealing with absolute extremes at all times?
They have to say that. Find me any board member who openly criticised their manager before sacking them?

Fairly standard statement. Don't see why it should cause a backlash because we probably knew he was not going to sack the manager.
It's always funny to me when people say "how can XYZ defend the current position and be happy with the team/game/state of the club?" Seriously, what do people want them to do? Say "Yeah, ten Hag is an incompetent fool and Ratcliff is an idiot for extending his contract." Already when Ole was defending the team, what do people want, him shitting on his players in public, I know Mou did that but he had the whole team against him after just one season. We as fans can complain about decisions and call players shite all day long but if you work for the club you simply can't without causing major internal conflict or getting fired. I'm almost certain that any of the people who are making positive statements towards the press will talk a lot more critical behind closed doors but you don't do that in public.

Daily Mail has posted a picture of Casemiro leaving the ground with headline of something like “Casemiro leaves OT after HT sub”.

The two halves of that sentence are factually correct but conveniently missing out the fact that he left after full time.

Journalism (apart from a couple) is in the gutter now.. most of them are Twitter/TikTok standards

Dreadful comments. Is he a sleeper agent?
They won’t say nothing against EtH until they sack him.

If true that keeping him was more a Ratcliffe and the bike guy decision, that is probably good news cause Ashworth and Berrada will probably sack him soon. But don’t expect saying he is shit before they sack him.

I like that he said they're going to work with him to sort this out. That's how it should be. Not saying it'll be successful but that's what management are supposed to do

I’m sorry but how new to football are you? I thought you were trolling, but maybe not? How are you expecting anything different in a professional setting. This isn’t dealing with absolute extremes, it’s common sense stuff, we’ve seen for decades.

Why do people get there panties in a twist over comments like this. Even if you ignore that the comments were possibly made before the Liverpool game, so what? He's not going to come out in public and heap more pressure on the manager. What the leadership say in public is not the same as what they're discussing behind closed doors. They'll continue to back him until they sack him.

Some of the reactions to these comments speaks volumes for a large section of the supporter base at the moment.

The fact that he had to put a statement after 3 games is amazing
We're back to being circus. It was fun for a short while

Some of the reactions to these comments speaks volumes for a large section of the supporter base at the moment.
I'm a pretty new member, but a looooong time lurker. There where times before I signed up (and still do this now) where I didn't log on to this forum exactly because the way certain fans here react. It's so fecking toxic at times, yes I understand we're frustrated and pissed off because we lost and sometimes how we lose as well, makes it worse. But it just gets unbearable here at times(and I'm a person who can curse up a storm pretty easily, not really calm person, specially during matches).

:lol: a vote of confidence like that is effectively a verbal warning from the board.

Ten Toast soon I reckon.

The comments were from before the Liverpool game, so he might say that if they asked him again now.
He essentially confirmed he had nothing to do with keeping Ten Hag on but he has supported him this summer regardless. I don't think it's the backing that people are reading into it.

The utterly daft thing was not sacking ten Hag in the summer, but we already knew that. As that decision was already made what would expect them to say? 'Yeah actually we think he's total shit and can't wait to sack him, but we preferred to waste the start of the season for shits and giggles'.

It's a completely uninteresting quote before the game and doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know about what INEOS had decided to do.

All these journos are hoping is to ragebait United fans into thinking it's a reaction to the Liverpool game to drive clicks.

As always with United fans it's someone else's fault. Those pesky journos and media only wanting clicks. If United fans put half this effort into demanding answers from the club we might've not been in this mess in the first place.

The club has been a laughing stock for over a decade. The new management had the chance to set this straight and start with a clean slate. Instead they backed a flop and have continued on the same path as before with a Dutch invasion of players and staff.

Time to look at ourselves in the mirror. The media and journos aren't responsible for us being shit.

They have to say that. Find me any board member who openly criticised their manager before sacking them?
I’m sorry but how new to football are you? I thought you were trolling, but maybe not? How are you expecting anything different in a professional setting. This isn’t dealing with absolute extremes, it’s common sense stuff, we’ve seen for decades.
Don't say anything at all then. Silence is better than "we are very happy with him".

Some silly comments here. Do you expect him to say the manager does not have our full backing?

Daily Mail has posted a picture of Casemiro leaving the ground with headline of something like “Casemiro leaves OT after HT sub”.

The two halves of that sentence are factually correct but conveniently missing out the fact that he left after full time.

Journalism (apart from a couple) is in the gutter now.. most of them are Twitter/TikTok standards

Reading the Daily Mail and expecting high journalistic standards is pretty silly.

Some silly comments here. Do you expect him to say the manager does not have our full backing?
Emotions run high in the immediate aftermath of a game like Sunday's, which is why the journalists time the release of these quotes as they do. They know it'll enrage people, its what they bank on.

In truth I thought the quotes were actually quite ambivalent and far from a whole hearted endorsement. But angry fans won't see past the bit that supports him staying on.

The majority of this forum does exactly that. The turnaround on the sack Ten Hag vote after the FA Cup final was ridiculous.
Very true. Seems like our new world class management did the same. Comments from the CEO earlier in the thread:

“We have had a busy summer so far, with transformation on and off the pitch. We welcome Joshua Zirkzee, Leny Yoro, Matthijs de Ligt and Noussair Mazraoui to the club; four excellent talents with a bright future here. We are delighted that club captain, Bruno Fernandes, has put pen to paper and committed his future to United and Erik ten Hag has extended his contract on the back of our FA Cup success. Dan Ashworth has joined as Sporting Director and Jason Wilcox as Technical Director. We are building a strong and talented football structure to work with Erik and ensure that we are focused on long-term success. We are also looking to build a world-leading non-football leadership team, which I know will help us to thrive.”

FA Cup success is the new benchmark at Manchester United folks.

Very true. Seems like our new world class management did the same. Comments from the CEO earlier in the thread:

“We have had a busy summer so far, with transformation on and off the pitch. We welcome Joshua Zirkzee, Leny Yoro, Matthijs de Ligt and Noussair Mazraoui to the club; four excellent talents with a bright future here. We are delighted that club captain, Bruno Fernandes, has put pen to paper and committed his future to United and Erik ten Hag has extended his contract on the back of our FA Cup success. Dan Ashworth has joined as Sporting Director and Jason Wilcox as Technical Director. We are building a strong and talented football structure to work with Erik and ensure that we are focused on long-term success. We are also looking to build a world-leading non-football leadership team, which I know will help us to thrive.”

FA Cup success is the new benchmark at Manchester United folks.

Rightly or wrongly, we made the decision to keep ETH for this season and give him another go. If we're backing him, we can't have him enter the season with an expiring contract. Triggering a 12 month extension was absolutely the right call in the circumstances.

Rightly or wrongly, we made the decision to keep ETH for this season and give him another go. If we're backing him, we can't have him enter the season with an expiring contract. Triggering a 12 month extension was absolutely the right call in the circumstances.
Pep Guardiola has entered a season on an expiring contract. Someone should tell him and City that they can't do that.

Pep Guardiola has entered a season on an expiring contract. Someone should tell him and City that they can't do that.
If you think the situations are even remotely comparable then I don't know what to tell you.