Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I desperately want him to prove most people wrong including me. I want him to win something this season and be in the CL final stages. It's alright to be beaten by a top club.

We have Varane, Cavani and Rashford to come back into this squad. Flip me. How exciting. That was a joy to watch today. A dialled in Pogba is something else.

All round passing is so sharp, all over the pitch too. Dan James really needs to step up or calm down or something. He's got the tools just needs to put it all together. Did a great job making space for others though. That can't be understated.

His work with Fred stands out so much for me. Season on season he is getting better. Many look at how Pep helps develop players games and make them better players, and yet Ole doesn't get as much credit for how he has developed certain players.

Agreed.

Dan James really needs to step up or calm down or something. He's got the tools just needs to put it all together. Did a great job making space for others though. That can't be understated.
Agree with this and hope others see why. There is definitely a role in the team for a player like James. Yes, his end product, decision making, strength etc isn't on par with others and he isn't going to be highlight worthy but he does create alot of space for his teammates, which is going to be crucial for us when Bruno and Pogba are playing. You give those two time on the ball - we score goals - its that simple.

James running down the wing, cutting in, doing his runs and generally being a nuisance is a simple yet effective tactic against some teams.

@Samid

Think this is accurate. Means we've scored 3+ goals in 32% of our games under Ole. Moyes on 27%, LVG on 25% and Jose on 22% (:lol:)
Stat​
Ole​
Jose​
LvG​
Moyes​
Games​
152​
144​
103​
51​
3 Goals​
30​
16​
22​
8​
4 Goals​
8​
16​
3​
5​
5 Goals​
6​
0​
1​
1​
6+ Goals​
4​
0​
0​
0​

Cheers. 5 and 6+ goals :lol:

The bolded part really fecks me off to be honest. Not a single moaner comes back and says "I was wrong about the lineup, Ole got it bang on", they're just back next week with the same shit, frothing at the mouth because McTomminay is starting
Exactly, that's the issue. People remember the handful of times they got things right - Fred vs PSG, Dave in Pens and use that to beat Ole to the hill. I'd love to see people come back and accept when they got it wrong as well.

Using McT and Fred vs Leeds is completley right. Wanting to not give someone their debut vs Leeds, and rather relying on someone because of their workrate is completely fine with me as well, especially when Pogba isn't the hardest worker in most games, and Mason isn't that useful defensively (although both helped out tremendously today)

Amazing to see how well we played today. To think how we used to set up under Mourinho.

Ole has brought us on leaps and bounds. I'm stunned that people can't see the difference

Amazing to see how well we played today. To think how we used to set up under Mourinho.

Ole has brought us on leaps and bounds. I'm stunned that people can't see the difference

Let's not try to rewrite history. We have set up like Jose in plenty of games under Ole. The difference is Jose always sets up the same way no matter what.

Let's not try to rewrite history. We have set up like Jose in plenty of games under Ole. The difference is Jose always sets up the same way no matter what.
I don't remember 4 full backs under Ole. Do you?

Did you see the stats regarding the amount of big wins we've had under Ole?

I imagine we're going to be even more expansive now that we have the squad to go at the league.

I can't get over the journalists who wonder why United fans back Ole. He's dragging us back to relevance. It's not that complicated.

Last edited:
I think OGS had a big challenge with Leeds as opening game. Our pre season was not easy because most of the players starting today had only the one friendly against Everton and 2 weeks training. That is of course not as bad as last year, but also far from perfect. I was very concerned about the fitness but Ole absolutely managed to get our squad fit enough for this game. Fred+McTominay was the right decision as they are the two midfielders with the most energy we have and their legs were needed against Leeds.

I believe he is but not because he's able to beat Bielsa with players on the bench better than any Bielsa could hope to start. Cmon now
They beat City and took points off Liverpool last season. They are a handful for anyone.

I believe he is but not because he's able to beat Bielsa with players on the bench better than any Bielsa could hope to start. Cmon now
Thank god somebody said it. I'd argue that what gave Bielsa his reputation isn't his ingame actions but his work to create a side. Bielsa was very very blunt in todays game but even more so in the 6:2 last year. Keep attacking no matter how all over the place your defense is.

Exactly, that's the issue. People remember the handful of times they got things right - Fred vs PSG, Dave in Pens and use that to beat Ole to the hill. I'd love to see people come back and accept when they got it wrong as well.

Using McT and Fred vs Leeds is completley right. Wanting to not give someone their debut vs Leeds, and rather relying on someone because of their workrate is completely fine with me as well, especially when Pogba isn't the hardest worker in most games, and Mason isn't that useful defensively (although both helped out tremendously today)
I'll hope, we will see this admirable behaviour once a bad results comes in and everybody is just like "it is just one bad game, come on" :D

Apart from that, I agree with you, I would have setup with McFred as well because what you don't want against Leeds is needing a goal. I hoped to see Donny for a couple of minutes in the end though. But thats certainly more inconvenience than criticism.

Pressure is seriously on him with the amount of money we’ve invested to get to this point.

They beat City and took points off Liverpool last season. They are a handful for anyone.
They were last year. Lets see if they can replicate that this season as well. It was a very good performance today, but there is a good chance, that most teams will not setup that aggressive plus being so wank defensively.

I think focus should be on blowing teams apart and get consistent as much as possible. Even if we miss out on trophy I wouldn't be disappointed for this season.

I'll hope, we will see this admirable behaviour once a bad results comes in and everybody is just like "it is just one bad game, come on" :D

The point I'm making is Ole has got it right way more times than he's got it wrong. As long as he maintains this hit rate, I don't see a problem.

And for your second part, if you do maintain a table of who should have played as per caf vs who played and the outcome, it wouldn't be that good a reading for caf(and I'm not just referring to Ole's tenure here, this has been going on from atleast LVG's tenure here)

Most of this is fair enough, but you're completely over thinking the Dan James selection. Had this match been in a-few weeks when Sancho was up to speed, James would have been on the bench. I didn't see it as tactical whatsoever, and I also expected it as there was no way Sancho was starting after training with us for 4-days.

Most of this is fair enough, but you're completely over thinking the Dan James selection. Had this match been in a-few weeks when Sancho was up to speed, James would have been on the bench. I didn't see it as tactical whatsoever, and I also expected it as there was no way Sancho was starting after training with us for 4-days.

Agreed, and that's why I said that " Wanting to not give someone their debut vs Leeds, and rather relying on someone because of their workrate is completely fine ". There was always little chance of Sancho getting a chance here especially as he hasn't had any pre-season minutes and Leeds isnt the game where you want your players getting fitness

The point I'm making is Ole has got it right way more times than he's got it wrong. As long as he maintains this hit rate, I don't see a problem.
Sure thing. But Ole has some sort of headstart doesn't he? :) I mean he is the one with the scouting team and the one who knows how the individuals have trained and stuff. So, in comparison to us here, he should got it right more often then we do. Plus, it has to be said that we don't know the outcome of matches had lineups from the caf been used. They might have been successes a few times as well. No chance of proving it, don't understand how and why people get so upset about it from time to time ^^ I mean we had Fergie, he lined up with 10 defenders against Arsenal once and we've beaten them. If that doesn't teach a lesson then nothing will.

And for your second part, if you do maintain a table of who should have played as per caf vs who played and the outcome, it wouldn't be that good a reading for caf(and I'm not just referring to Ole's tenure here, this has been going on from atleast LVG's tenure here)
Thats this place is a fan forum and not a manager academy ^^ But to give it some real life check, I think, choosing the players is just one of many many factors that decide the outcome of a match. The manager can get it completely wrong but be successful by just being lucky or by adjusting to the course of the match. Therefor, I think, the meaning of lineups shouldn't be overstated.

All in all, I think, Ole and his team do a very good job with initial setup for games most of the time. They seem to be just fine with identifying strength and weaknesses and come up with plans to make use of it. What doesn't convince me until now his how we respond to in-game events/ course of the game. Granted, they got it right some times and in my eyes they didn't do big mistakes more than a couple of times but I would expect to be more proactive in-game. It often feels like he trusts the players to come up with something which certainly is fine but I guess it would be more benefitial to support the players with outside impulses.

Sure thing. But Ole has some sort of headstart doesn't he? :) I mean he is the one with the scouting team and the one who knows how the individuals have trained and stuff. So, in comparison to us here, he should got it right more often then we do.

So maybe let's not have a meltdown as soon as the lineup is announced? Look, I'm not saying Ole shouldnt be questioned. He should and he rightly is (irrespective of how successful he eventually becomes), but I don't get half the forum having a meltdown yesterday because we didn't start Sancho.

With the quality of the squad. It is not a question anymore if he should win the league or at least challenge until the last two games. I expect nothing less, as I did last season.

With the quality of the squad. It is not a question anymore if he should win the league or at least challenge until the last two games. I expect nothing less, as I did last season.

Just need to add someone in KANTE mould and then Ole is set for big time.

Talk about lowering standards. Not upping expectations after this summer's investments? Next you'll be telling us it's okay as long as we avoid relegation.

Exactly. He has no excuses this year. If he doesnt challenge yet again then he should get the sack. Honeymoon is over. Next may hr will be 3.5years at the helm. Do or bust season for him.

Slightly more than us and there’s even more pressure on him. Not sure of your point?
Slightly :lol:

Ole: £373.6m

Pep: £941m and would be ~£1.1bn if he buys Kane.

I don't even want to start with what both inherited.

And you're not sure what's my point?

Slightly :lol:

Ole: £373.6m

Pep: £941m and would be ~£1.1bn if he buys Kane.

I don't even want to start with what both inherited.

And you're not sure what's my point?
Pep is way longer working for city than Ole is for United. What value is in comparing these figures? Lets face it, Pep and City have spent most of the money relatively well. We didn't. Lets hope the positive trend of the last 3 years continues but lets not act as if it would only be a matter of money. It isn't. United payed huge sums and does until this day.

So maybe let's not have a meltdown as soon as the lineup is announced? Look, I'm not saying Ole shouldnt be questioned. He should and he rightly is (irrespective of how successful he eventually becomes), but I don't get half the forum having a meltdown yesterday because we didn't start Sancho.
^^ honest question, do you think, you will make other people stop a certain behaviour on an internet forum by winning discussions?

And it isn't half the forum, it is a loud minority.
Just ignore it, half of the loudest ones are only there for attention. We shouldn't put too much attention to loudest critics, same as the most sensitive fans who feel unsafe if somebody vocals a different opinion.

^^ honest question, do you think, you will make other people stop a certain behaviour on an internet forum by winning discussions?

And it isn't half the forum, it is a loud minority.
Just ignore it, half of the loudest ones are only there for attention. We shouldn't put too much attention to loudest critics, same as the most sensitive fans who feel unsafe if somebody vocals a different opinion.

I'm no one to monitor what others post. I just find it hypocritical when people go on saying anyone could've seen xyz coming, when these instances have happened a handful of times, and we've been performing pretty well in the last 18 months or so

I don't remember 4 full backs under Ole. Do you?

Did you see the stats regarding the amount of big wins we've had under Ole?

I imagine we're going to be even more expansive now that we have the squad to go at the league.

I can't get over the journalists who wonder why United fans back Ole. He's dragging us back to relevance. It's not that complicated.

Do not need to play 4 full backs to play that defensively. Ole has had plenty of matches when we defend all the 90 minutes without any attacking. The problem is Jose always does it while Ole does it occasionally.

This is exactly how I feel. Looking at Maguire and Varane on paper I feel that same sense of security I felt when we had Rio and Vida. I remember back then thinking how lucky we were to have two world class players in their primes playing together like they were and remember dreading them reaching 32/33 and fading away.

I also feel the same sense of excitement and inevitability thinking about the potential of Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho as I did thinking about Rooney and Ronaldo when they were on the cusp of realising their potential.

Its exciting, we need a bit of luck along the way but I expect great things from this squad.

Yep, he's caused alot of damage? Didn't realise bringing 06/07 feeling is damaging to the club.

I’m done.

I thank him very much for what he’s done since he’s been here, lots of highs and inevitably some lows but he’s taken this team as far as he can, any further will just cause more damage.

Yep, he's caused alot of damage? Didn't realise bringing 06/07 feeling is damaging to the club.
You’re picking out one (drunk) reactionary post following the disappointment of being dumped out of the Champions League of a poster who has been 99.9% positive about Ole and understanding of the project he has undertaken. Good work finding that post though, that’s the sort of shithousery I thoroughly enjoy myself.

He'll have some excellent attacking depth when Cavani/Sancho/Rashford all become well into the mix of selections.

You’re picking out one (drunk) reactionary post following the disappointment of being dumped out of the Champions League of a poster who has been 99.9% positive about Ole and understanding of the project he has undertaken. Good work finding that post though, that’s the sort of shithousery I thoroughly enjoy myself.
:lol:
Imagine taking a post that happened last year and compare it to the "feelings" of what the first game of this season brought. Takes some serious "logic" to make that connection :lol:

Pressure is seriously on him with the amount of money we’ve invested to get to this point.

We needed to frankly, the state of that squad was down too years of miss management.

What's weird though, its people don't see it.

Personally I think we have the second best squad in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.