Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VivaRonaldo85

Ole won big trophies all his career. Whether he believes it or not, I have been very disappointed with Ole’s media messaging since we got ourselves to the top of the table a few weeks ago. I’m not deluded enough to say we should therefore be winning the league this season, but if anything, he’s been overly negative. How are the players supposed to believe they can achieve something special with a manager continually pumping out, “how happy we are to be where we are”, and “we’re not in a title race”. It’s small time talk for a very big club and whilst many will say it’s just words, what does it matter, I believe it really does at the highest level of elite sport. Confidence and belief breeds confidence and belief.

Mickson

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is one of the luckiest managers I have ever seen. First that he got the job, he didn't have the merits for it. Then that he still has the job, which he only would have at Man United. At no other club would he still be there. I think that if he did this with Bayern Munich, he would have been sacked ten times in these two years.

No doubt. Rashford i get since hes the least bad of the two right now and its not like James is going to offer a whole lot, but if he starts Martial over Greenwood next game i am going to lose it
It’s a strange one because it shifts Rashford too, and Greenwood lately has looked more and more comfortable in the RWF position, he’s dribbling more and looks full of confidence on the ball.

RUCK4444

Can you name one single player who has greatly improved since Ole came? Not a single one of them. Terrific job from him as well getting what was prob Ajax best player for £40m turning him into a shit bench warmer. A guy of his managerial calibre belongs at a club like Crystal Palace at best.
Oh ffs. Car crash reactionary post.

To answer your question;
Pogba
Fred
McTominay
Greenwood
Martial (until this season where he’s pure lazy)
Rashford
Shaw
VDB has been given chances and hasn’t taken any of them, that’s on him.

There’s probably more but I won’t waste my breath, not to mention the quality of the team itself is testament to the rebuild he’s still completing.

Last edited:

JustAGuest

I'm torn about it. On one hand I think he has done extremely well at Leicester, but on the other it is too difficult to look past his Liverpool connection. In the end I would rather not see him here... which is a shame considering his quality.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think his future is dependent on how ambitious the owners are, which makes him safe as long as he can deliver a top 4 finish and an occasional cup win.

Remains to be seen if he can take the team any further. Will be an interesting summer.
Dont look at the owner if we can't even motivate ourselves against SU and WBA when we're 2nd in the league.

Freak results happens. But with 1st on the stake last week going weak against SU is criminal.

Saf might have his off days but he'll go down fighting throwing 4 attackers against 20th position.

We stroll around as if we're playing for nothing.

DownRiver

Literally, every united game after Klopp and Mourinho complaints about VAR favouritism has seen decisions go against us. Ole has not said anything to the several decisions against our team because he is a p***y in all honesty, he has no killer personality. Fans mention that we should not focus on VAR decisions, and more on our performances, but we could have won two of our last three games if VAR decisions went our way.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ole won big trophies all his career. Whether he believes it or not, I have been very disappointed with Ole’s media messaging since we got ourselves to the top of the table a few weeks ago. I’m not deluded enough to say we should therefore be winning the league this season, but if anything, he’s been overly negative. How are the players supposed to believe they can achieve something special with a manager continually pumping out, “how happy we are to be where we are”, and “we’re not in a title race”. It’s small time talk for a very big club and whilst many will say it’s just words, what does it matter, I believe it really does at the highest level of elite sport. Confidence and belief breeds confidence and belief.
So did gary neville, steve bruce, Maradona, and many other proven winner as a player turns manager.

It's not about mentality alone. You actually need some different sets of skills in management and tactics.

Having a winner mentality is just a bonus.

Mickson

Oh ffs. Car reactionary post.

To answer your question;
Pogba
Fred
McTominay
Greenwood
Martial (until this season where he’s pure lazy)
Rashford
Shaw
VDB has been given chances and hasn’t taken any of them, that’s on him.

There’s probably more but I won’t waste my breath, not to mention the quality of the team itself is testament to the rebuild he’s still completing.
Vey bald giving him credit for Greenwood. The boy would have developed under you as a manager because he was like 17 years old...

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Transitional manager and the transitioning is done now. Need a accomplished manager to come in and take this team forward now.
I agree 100%.

I will always be thankful for Solskjaer coming in, steadying the ship and getting us playing with some attacking intent as per the traditions of the club, all the while trimming the deadwood from the squad.

We need a better man to come in and complete the job now.

United in sin

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is one of the luckiest managers I have ever seen. First that he got the job, he didn't have the merits for it. Then that he still has the job, which he only would have at Man United. At no other club would he still be there. I think that if he did this with Bayern Munich, he would have been sacked ten times in these two years.
I agree. His lack of a distinct style alone would get him fired at Bayern or Juventus even if he delivered a title

Mickson

Yeah young player development doesn’t have a single thing to do with management... :wenger:
Greenwood is a top talent, do you seriously think he would regress under Arteta, Scott Parker or any other random manager in the league? He got better because he got older, stronger and more experienced. He will get better in the coming years too. And that would happen with Ole, that would happen with Hassnhuttl, that would happen with Potter. Has nothing to do with Ole.

JustAGuest

Vey bald giving him credit for Greenwood. The boy would have developed under you as a manager because he was like 17 years old...
I don't know. Had he been given as many minutes had Mourinho still been here? I seriously doubt it.

mu4c_20le

Did you just compare us with Bayern Munich and their one horse league?

Greck

Can understand managing expectations but some of those were always going to become self-fulfilling. We have a lot of fair-weather players that were going to rest on their laurels.

owlo

I'm torn about it. On one hand I think he has done extremely well at Leicester, but on the other it is too difficult to look past his Liverpool connection. In the end I would rather not see him here... which is a shame considering his quality.
I don't think he likes the scousers much or buys into their whole ethos and cringefest (unlike klopp). However, he is quite a monumental prick. Some said the same about SAF thogh; at the end of the day if hes a success nobody would care.

My concern with Rodgers is we don't have the infrastructure to support him in the way Leicester are purported to do. Not sure he's the old school coach+manager+dof built into one. I'd be happy to give him a shot though.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is a decent manager, I don't think he can take the final step but let's not go back to calling him a PE teacher.
I am not calling him and never did PE teacher. I am saying; City, Pool and Chelsea have top class managers. And we have "decent" one (i would say average).
So what will change next season or season after that? Nothing. Ole is what he is; average manager. He can get Sancho, Grealish and Upamecano but he will still not win something or make us a force again. He is just limited. Just like James is limited and never will be top side winger or just like AWB will never become new Cafu. It is reality on which people closing their eyes. We all knew that for Moyes from.day one and we qll know for Ole but his legendary status protects him.

So as i am saying two years now; why to go with him in next season? It will be the same as this season. We must upgrade him if we want to challenge for something.

mu4c_20le

I can say the same for Chelsea, Real, Barca, Juve etc. United is the only club that would hire him, and the only club that would still have him.
Yeah, after he dragged us into 3rd. There were many times where he could've gone.

mu4c_20le

He is available. That is nonsense excuse here. You come, offer him a job, pay fee to Leipzig and that is it. Just like with players.
And if he says no, I'm not done yet? I mean, this guy allegedly turned down Real Madrid one time

Godfather

We'll probaby just have to accept that he's here in the long term. A cheap solution that a portion of fans will be content with. Very much doubt he'll bring us any silverware but I'm not sure that is something our club even aspires.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Literally, every united game after Klopp and Mourinho complaints about VAR favouritism has seen decisions go against us. Ole has not said anything to the several decisions against our team because he is a p***y in all honesty, he has no killer personality. Fans mention that we should not focus on VAR decisions, and more on our performances, but we could have won two of our last three games if VAR decisions went our way.
A pussy eh?
Seem to forget him ripping the FA about Thursday / Sat evening games?

RUCK4444

Greenwood is a top talent, do you seriously think he would regress under Arteta, Scott Parker or any other random manager in the league? He got better because he got older, stronger and more experienced. He will get better in the coming years too. And that would happen with Ole, that would happen with Hassnhuttl, that would happen with Potter. Has nothing to do with Ole.
That’s an entirely moot point though.

What you still have to do with a prodigious young talent is handle them well, ie integration into the team, limiting and managing the expectation, coaching them during the massive step up into the premier league. Also handling things like his off field issues.

All of which Ole has been exemplary in doing. If anything there’s more involved in managing/coaching a youngster than there is with a World Cup winner in Pogba or other experiences pro’s ffs.

Dr. StrangeHate

I am not calling him and never did PE teacher. I am saying; City, Pool and Chelsea have top class managers. And we have "decent" one (i would say average).
So what will change next season or season after that? Nothing. Ole is what he is; average manager. He can get Sancho, Grealish and Upamecano but he will still not win something or make us a force again. He is just limited. Just like James is limited and never will be top side winger or just like AWB will never become new Cafu. It is reality on which people closing their eyes. We all knew that for Moyes from.day one and we qll know for Ole but his legendary status protects him.

So as i am saying two years now; why to go with him in next season? It will be the same as this season. We must upgrade him if we want to challenge for something.
Sorry I though a bicycle rider vs an F1 car was alluding to that PE teacher comment. I agree he doesn't seem likely to make us a force but the target set to him (rightly or wrongly) seems to be top 4 and he will likely get that and continue.

VivaRonaldo85

Can understand managing expectations but some of those were always going to become self-fulfilling. We have a lot of fair-weather players that were going to rest on their laurels.
These players have been given a perfect excuse or get out by the management. “Well done lads, you’re up there. No expectation from us for you to kick on now. This is all a big bonus isn’t it. We’re just pleased to be floating somewhere near the top. Now go pat yourselves on the back....” Ok, I’m obviously exaggerating here but you get the point and the recent results follow.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I still feel that we need to see what we can do under Ole with a DM, CB and RW. Today was a poor one though.
Yeah predictably there will be a lot of moaning here today. We should be beating West Brom but then if we would be beating all the lower teams and not losing against the top teams we would be winning the title.
It’s funny seeing Ole compared to Pep as if it wasn’t clear that Pep is clearly the better coach. So we would need a coach almost as good as him (doesn’t exist at the moment other than Klopp - not the current version obviously) AND a squad as good as his (which we will just not get - the only way for us is to invest in talented youngsters who we can get cheaper).
A world class manager like Klopp managed to match City for two seasons only and for this he still needed most of his players to reach their peak years.
If you ask our top 4-6 rivals who out of Rashford/Martial/Greenwood/Cavani they would take as a starter (striker or wingers) ahead of any of their players most probably only Rashford will mostly be picked. Greenwood is still raw and Cavani can’t start regularly.
Then if you ask them who out of Pogba/Bruno/McFred/Matic/VdB they would pick in the midfield ahead of their players, most probably only Bruno will be picked.
Now I am not saying our team is not good, far from it. But it is a top 4 squad, not a title winning squad irrespective of the qualities of the managers.
We desperately need a winger who is ready now and a DM. Plus a CB to partner Maguire.
I won’t even go into potential Pogba replacement as he is still here.
Otherwise we will get mixed results. Play 3 strikers at the same time (to make it worse none of them is in their peak) and the creativity will suffer. Play no top quality CM and worse no top quality DM and we will get overrun plus creativity will again suffer.

This is very clear to me. Obviously people who want Ole out won’t agree, but if we get another manager who will be facing similar challenges, only then they might agree.
Pep himself wouldn’t be winning the league with our squad and he is clearly much better than our current manager.

In the end Liverpool, Chelsea and United will keep fighting for 2nd to 4th places without at least a couple of quality additions. And who cares who finishes 2nd and who 4th? Finishing 2nd is only beneficial if the potential in the squad is there to win it in the next 1-2 years / or if the necessary transfers will be made.
Unless something changes drastically I can only see Chelsea winning the title in the next 2 years because most probably only they will make the necessary investments until the gap to City has been closed.

In our case if we buy 2-3 crucial players we need (who are ready now, not 17/18 years old) and Ole is still getting mixed results then he should and will leave.
I have seen enough to suggest that Ole will get us to the top with the necessary investments as tactically he is good (yes no “philosophy”, but I don’t care as long as we aim to play an attacking brand where possible, for me tactics which win you games are more important and most of the time when it clicks I like our attacking play).
The board however I believe are in no mood to invest heavily (for any manager) especially with covid - so they will be realistic and satisfied with a slow rebuild (as long as we make top 4 at the same time).

Lewnited

I think if nothing else, the decision that has to be made at the end of the season is back him 200% or sack him.

This season in particular is proving that we'll continue to look disjointed against near enough every team we play against, despite us usually having a significantly better squad. So if we accept that, we simply have to give him the best tools available and cover all the gaps in our team in the summer window. If we are going to do anything with Ole, we'll have to have a team stacked with players that are always capable of winning matches no matter how badly we play.

If we aren't willing to go on a spending spree this summer then he has to go, as I think with Chelsea now looking like an actual team again and Liverpool not likely to stay down, we'll be competing in a far tougher league next season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
These players have been given a perfect excuse or get out by the management. “Well done lads, you’re up there. No expectation from us for you to kink on now. We’re just pleased to be floating somewhere near ten top.
Ole saying we are not ready to win a title was just wrong. He could have just said , we will see where we are at the end of the season. He gave up the ghost and so have the players.

passing-wind

So did gary neville, steve bruce, Maradona, and many other proven winner as a player turns manager.

It's not about mentality alone. You actually need some different sets of skills in management and tactics.

Having a winner mentality is just a bonus.
That's a good summation it shows that the manager lacks both of these substantially to take the club at the level it should be performing at. If the conciliation is for us to spend the next 5 years being around the top 6, than Ole is an ideal candidate.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's a good summation it shows that the manager lacks both of these substantially to take the club at the level it should be performing at. If the conciliation is for us to spend the next 5 years being around the top 6, than Ole is an ideal candidate.
Not sure that would be the kind of mindset Bruno would have, if we carry on never winning anything, then I can see him wanting to go.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ole saying we are not ready to win a title was just wrong. He could have just said , we will see where we are at the end of the season. He gave up the ghost and so have the players.
I think it was Ole using some simple reverse psychology tactic. Unfortunately its hit him and us back in the face.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why has our squad been allowed to become so stretched?

We're lucky as feck we've not had an injury plauged season.

RooneyLegend

Hes not good enough and never will be. In a Klopp and Pep world we cannot afford to have him as our coach and think we're going to win major titles. It simply doesn't make sense. The senior management of this club is a shambles.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Why has our squad been allowed to become so stretched?

We're lucky as feck we've not had an injury plauged season.
We’ve made the most changes to the starting XI out of all twenty teams in the league this season. (Or had up to the last gameweek anyway.)

Still, somehow, the same under-performers get picked week in, week out.

Something isn’t adding up.

Status
Not open for further replies.