Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m probably not understanding… are they saying the player has decided to sign for West Ham even though United want him?

United and West Ham both want him. United cannot afford him unless they sell Wan Bissaka first. West Ham were also considering Wan Bissaka, but have now agreed a deal with Bayern for Mazraoui instead. I'm sure United would have had no problem agreeing terms with Mazraoui if West Ham have managed it, but United's hands are tied because of Wan Bissaka.

United and West Ham both want him. United cannot afford him unless they sell Wan Bissaka first. West Ham were also considering Wan Bissaka, but have now agreed a deal with Bayern for Mazraoui instead. I'm sure United would have had no problem agreeing terms with Mazraoui if West Ham have managed it, but United's hands are tied because of Wan Bissaka.
From the players perspective though, surely better to wait a few weeks to see if United can come back in rather than go to West Ham

I'd have thought the point of a newbie system would be to weed out self important people who are incapable of expressing their opinion without throwing around insults, but here you are so...

With virtually every United journalist now running the story, although thank God it looks like we're handicapped in getting him and will have to look elsewhere, it's perhaps a useful lesson in digital literacy for you that when journalists all post similar things with similar wording at similar times then they've got a source.

But besides that point, perhaps you should reread the post you responded to? I merely suggested, in far less emotive language than you yourself deployed, that there is a disappointing pattern to the players we've signed, made offers for and been linked to by reliable journalists, that bears more than a passing resemblance to the way we operated last summer (including overpaying for a youth talent based on potential) whilst even allowing for the fact that other explanations could be possible. If you want to see a marked change then sure, but I'm certain one is only able to see a marked change if one is actively looking to see a marked change. After all, basically every reliable journalist who spoke about INEOS going into this window mentioned that it was probably too soon to see drastic changes, so it would not be a surprise if we were working off a target list drawn up under the old regime where ten Hag had an outsized influence in recruitment. I think that's disappointing, and you don't want it to be true, but it looks like it is what it is.
Lots of big words to basically say you don't like EtH.

You're adding nothing on this forum.

I'd have thought the point of a newbie system would be to weed out self important people who are incapable of expressing their opinion without throwing around insults, but here you are so...

With virtually every United journalist now running the story, although thank God it looks like we're handicapped in getting him and will have to look elsewhere, it's perhaps a useful lesson in digital literacy for you that when journalists all post similar things with similar wording at similar times then they've got a source.

But besides that point, perhaps you should reread the post you responded to? I merely suggested, in far less emotive language than you yourself deployed, that there is a disappointing pattern to the players we've signed, made offers for and been linked to by reliable journalists, that bears more than a passing resemblance to the way we operated last summer (including overpaying for a youth talent based on potential) whilst even allowing for the fact that other explanations could be possible. If you want to see a marked change then sure, but I'm certain one is only able to see a marked change if one is actively looking to see a marked change. After all, basically every reliable journalist who spoke about INEOS going into this window mentioned that it was probably too soon to see drastic changes, so it would not be a surprise if we were working off a target list drawn up under the old regime where ten Hag had an outsized influence in recruitment. I think that's disappointing, and you don't want it to be true, but it looks like it is what it is.
You're seeing things you want to see. Yoro isn't going to be a Ten Hag target and certainly not a priority. Zirkzee literally has no links to Ten Hag apart from being Dutch. Ugarte doesn't fit your hypothesis either. If you actually look at at what players like Ugarte, De Ligt, Mazraoui, Zirkzee and Yoro have in common, is that they have all been made available by their respective clubs and are reasonably priced. Our failed transfers in Branthwaite and Neves have been down to fees.

The Mazraoui links only came about recently when it was clear he was on the move and it seems to be a very reasonable fee. I actually responded in the De Ligt thread about a month ago before we were linked and low and behold:

I'd like this for the meltdown at another ex-Ajax, played under Ten Hag signing.

It's fine to think what your saying, but if you test it against our targets and signings, it doesn't really stack up.

From the players perspective though, surely better to wait a few weeks to see if United can come back in rather than go to West Ham
It's ultimately a choice between the teams that finished 8th and 9th last season. London is also a more attractive location, especially for foreign players, and West Ham have Lopetegui who's a respected "name" manager on the continent. He'll also be a guaranteed starter there. I think it's probably a little delusional at this point to expect the allure of a move to Manchester United to be so strong that a player would risk their move to the Premier League entirely over it. Maybe back in the Sir Alex days, but that's not where the club is at right now.

You're seeing things you want to see. Yoro isn't going to be a Ten Hag target and certainly not a priority. Zirkzee literally has no links to Ten Hag apart from being Dutch. Ugarte doesn't fit your hypothesis either. If you actually look at at what players like Ugarte, De Ligt, Mazraoui, Zirkzee and Yoro have in common, is that they have all been made available by their respective clubs and are reasonably priced. Our failed transfers in Branthwaite and Neves have been down to fees.

The Mazraoui links only came about recently when it was clear he was on the move and it seems to be a very reasonable fee. I actually responded in the De Ligt thread about a month ago before we were linked and low and behold:

It's fine to think what your saying, but if you test it against our targets and signings, it doesn't really stack up.

I'm not saying Yoro is an EtH signing, I'm saying the way we pursued him is similar to what we did for Hojlund last year: overpaying for a young player of talent to beat off competition. There's nothing wrong with that (and I think Hojlund had a good season and will prove to be a good signing) per se. I'm simply remarking that the only reason Yoro gets praised as a 'good deal' and Hojlund was criticised as an overpay is because of a fairly blind faith judgment that we're definitely 100% already operating more competently.

I think Ugarte is a good bellwether, though. The reports are that there's divide within the club of whether we should go for him or not; if we ever find out who holds what opinion and who wins out it'd be instructive as to whether the balance of power has indeed shifted.

It's ultimately a choice between the teams that finished 8th and 9th last season. London is also a more attractive location, especially for foreign players, and West Ham have Lopetegui who's a respected "name" manager on the continent. He'll also be a guaranteed starter there. I think it's probably a little delusional at this point to expect the allure of a move to Manchester United to be so strong that a player would risk their move to the Premier League entirely over it. Maybe back in the Sir Alex days, but that's not where the club is at right now.
I'd agree if we were talking about the player choosing Chelsea or Spurs now for certain rather than risk waiting to join United.

I don't think this is a case of just picking the team in 8th or 9th though. There's a huge difference

I’m not too concerned about missing out on him, as he’s quite injury-prone. If he struggles to stay fit in Germany, there’s no guarantee he’d be any better in England.

Instead of worrying about this signing, we should focus on strengthening our defensive midfield and center-back positions. Those are the biggest gaps in the team right now.

No, it's ultimately the choice between choosing between THE Manchester United and fecking West Ham. Last season's finish doesn't come into it, you're choosing the exposure of pretty much every football fan in the world knowing your name, or having to play at a poorly converted athletics stadium.

It's by the by though, West Ham have options and aren't going to wait around all summer for Mazraoui, and he's not going to risk completely losing out on a move to the EPL to potentially sit on the bench for us. He'll have a much better chance of playing regularly up against Coufal, who turns 32 next month.

If AWB looked to be on his way somewhere else imminently maybe he would have waited another week or so, but given how things stand I don't blame him for going to West Ham rather than hope a bit appears from United.

No, it's ultimately the choice between choosing between THE Manchester United and fecking West Ham. Last season's finish doesn't come into it, you're choosing the exposure of pretty much every football fan in the world knowing your name, or having to play at a poorly converted athletics stadium.

It's by the by though, West Ham have options and aren't going to wait around all summer for Mazraoui, and he's not going to risk completely losing out on a move to the EPL to potentially sit on the bench for us. He'll have a much better chance of playing regularly up against Coufal, who turns 32 next month.

If AWB looked to be on his way somewhere else imminently maybe he would have waited another week or so, but given how things stand I don't blame him for going to West Ham rather than hope a bit appears from United.

Yeah I don't think players give a shit about past glories.

Yeah I don't think players give a shit about past glories.
I think history is certainly something they take into consideration, and it definitely helps if you can combine that with winning regular trophies, like Madrid.

But no I imagine it's more complex than that. However, playing for United and their huge reach, the money and fame that can bring both as part of a contract and beyond, that's always going to mean something.

I'm not saying Yoro is an EtH signing, I'm saying the way we pursued him is similar to what we did for Hojlund last year: overpaying for a young player of talent to beat off competition. There's nothing wrong with that (and I think Hojlund had a good season and will prove to be a good signing) per se. I'm simply remarking that the only reason Yoro gets praised as a 'good deal' and Hojlund was criticised as an overpay is because of a fairly blind faith judgment that we're definitely 100% already operating more competently.

I think Ugarte is a good bellwether, though. The reports are that there's divide within the club of whether we should go for him or not; if we ever find out who holds what opinion and who wins out it'd be instructive as to whether the balance of power has indeed shifted.
Well it's a slightly different, our competition for Hojlund was supposedly Spurs, this time it was Real Madrid. Hojlund was also likely a recruitment team suggestion, which wouldn't have changed, just the team negotiating the transfer. I think we can all agree why we overpaid for Yoro, I'm not sure we can say the same for Hojlund, more that we didn't have an alternative - although I am a fan and think he will be a success. So although they are similar situations, I think there's reason to believe we've changed tact a bit.

Perhaps, as you said it depends who's against it, but I think the fact he is a target in the first place is a step in the right direction.

Rather be stuck with AWB for a year instead of replacing him with more deadwood that we'll be stuck with for several years

Rather be stuck with AWB for a year instead of replacing him with more deadwood that we'll be stuck with for several years
This.

LB/LCB must be the defensive priority this summer.
RB next summer with AWB leaving on a free I guess.

Well it's a slightly different, our competition for Hojlund was supposedly Spurs, this time it was Real Madrid. Hojlund was also likely a recruitment team suggestion, which wouldn't have changed, just the team negotiating the transfer. I think we can all agree why we overpaid for Yoro, I'm not sure we can say the same for Hojlund, more that we didn't have an alternative - although I am a fan and think he will be a success. So although they are similar situations, I think there's reason to believe we've changed tact a bit.

Perhaps, as you said it depends who's against it, but I think the fact he is a target in the first place is a step in the right direction.

Perhaps at the end maybe? But it was pretty well reported that it was between as and PSG at one point. Of course Hojlund then made all the right noises about how he only had eyes for United, and I do believe that he probably is a fan, but I don't think we're naive enough to think he wouldn't have gone to PSG if they did a deal and we didn't.

Not completely analogous situations, but similar pressures and reasons for the fee to be driven beyond the worth of a younger player at least.

If you are absolutely 100% Man Utd will come in some weeks, then yes.. But there is always the uncertainty of AWB not beeing sold and alternative club options for him moved on..

I can see why he'd go.. There are former teammates of him at West Ham in Kudus and Alvarez, West Ham are a club in the PL, usually comfortably staying safe from relegation, and they have assigned a competent manager in Lopetegui, so I reckon things will be different for West Ham next year.. If West Ham have a good story, given the PL context, wages, squad and manager, it makes sense for him to make the choice to sign there and then in stead of waiting in uncertainty whether United is coming back yes or no..

Is he really that bad?
For me, it's not that he's bad. He's probably more of a threat going forward than any of our current fullbacks, and he can cover both sides. Very useful addition in that sense.

It's just that he's never fit. In the last five seasons he's played 20 league games once. Luke Shaw and Reece James look reliable next to this guy.

Is he really that bad?
No he's a perfectly good RB and can play LB too. Concerns over his injury record, but if you can basically swap out AWB, who's contract is running out, for a similar amount, then he can add squad depth. Would also be fairly easy to then move on in a season or two if we want to upgrade or had a good youth prospect we want to give game time to.

It's underwhelming but would be a 'sensible' signing. People are mainly getting upset because he's another player who EtH has coached.

Is he really that bad?

No, he's quite good. And an obviously better fit stylistically than AWB.

But he does have a pretty poor injury history. And some people would likely prefer some of the other players mentioned (like Vanderson, say) to be better long term signings.

Is he really that bad?

Looking at the last two seasons his injury problems include:
"Inflammation"
"Muscular problems"
"Torn muscle bundle"
"Torn muscle fibre"

He only made 12 league starts both seasons.

Plus he's bang average. But surely 2 crocked full backs is already too many. Going into a 50-60 game seasons with 3 out of 4 full backs being crocked sounds like more managerial genius at work.

No, he's quite good. And an obviously better fit stylistically than AWB.

But he does have a pretty poor injury history. And some people would likely prefer some of the other players mentioned (like Vanderson, say) to be better long term signings.
You're only signing Vanderson if you're trying to replace Dalot, which I don't think they're trying to do.

Are we really going to waste money on this guy? He’s got a rancid injury record. If it’s to provide Luke Shaw with some company on the injury table then he’s perfect, however, if we’re signing him to be part of the squad and to be called upon on a consistent basis then it’s a terrible signing.

Judging by that tweet the player wanted to join West Ham but they couldn't find an agreement with the agent? Asking for too much money? Bit mental if your agent cost you a move, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.