Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frimpong would be the transformation RB signing if there ever was one. We’d have the most explosive fullback in the country and he’d suit Amad well. We were heavily linked with him last year. With the unbeaten season, that one looks highly unlikely.
Frimpong would take a major fee at this juncture.

I don't think he's anything special although I looked at his stats, and they look great over multiple seasons. Maybe it is the advantage of playing in very dominant sides.

Frimpong would be the transformation RB signing if there ever was one. We’d have the most explosive fullback in the country and he’d suit Amad well. We were heavily linked with him last year. With the unbeaten season, that one looks highly unlikely.
Frimpong is more of a RWB than a RB, which is why Dumfries played instead of him for the Netherlands.

He would be ideal if we played with 3 at the back, but in our system, I would rather play him on the wings than as a RB.

Realistically obviously not. As you said other issues. But for various reasons Shaw, AWB, Dalot are all flawed.
Dalot I think is perfectly fine medium to long term. He'll never be the best RB in the world but there also aren't many better than him. You probably wait to see if you can get the next guy who might be that, like we've done with Yoro. We definitely need a more suitable back up player to him though.

Shaw is arguably one of the most complete FBs in the world, but yeah his injuries make him flawed. I actually think we should start to see him more as LCB cover to save his legs as much as possible, but again probably from next season, where you potentially sign a starting LB and maybe hope Amass is ready to be cover.

Of the options listed, I’d take Vanderson or Frimpong ahead of him. Of others not listed, I’d take Walker-Peters.
Frimpong isn't an option to play RB in a back 4. Maybe we are changing shape.

If the idea of alternative is to sell AWB for peanuts like the 10m reported, and then go and spend 20m on Mazraoui I'd rather we keep AWB and invest those 10m somewhere else, like a proper LB. I'm really not convinced on this guy, and 20m is not even that cheap considering they got him for free and he has been very underwhelming to say the least.

All fair, and a redcaf discussion isn’t going to convince you either, naturally. We’ll see if we’ll see.

Seems Mazraoui is yet another fallen angel of the vaunted Ajax side. Not one of them went on to live up to their billing. :(

Vanderson looks better from the comps.
I don't think he does, and from reading the Bayern forum, they see this deal as more circumstantial with organic RB options + Maz wanting to leave the club, rather than him being some poor RB.
I can't even believe that Bayern is contemplating selling Mazraoui..
This would be a fairly stupid move. I am really starting to dislike Tuchels transfer targets and decision-making if the media is to be believed about his preference of Walker over Mazraoui
^This one was from mid last season I think..

I dont understand Mazraoui. He had a mixed season because he was injured and then decided to go and play 90mins in a NT game and then was injured again while the team was set and then he whined about not getting to play all the time. When he plays he is very good technical player but instead of crying he should just try to stay fit and put the club in the first place. He will get plenty of minutes. IF he doesnt want to have a competition for the RB that a different thing

So really, it comes down to Mazraoui vs Boey this summer. I think Mazraoui would be much more open to leaving, as he probably wants to play more, and I think Boey will be more accepting of his role on the bench.... not to mention selling Mazraoui would provide a bigger profit in the books, as he was a free transfer, compared to Boey's transfer last summer

I think a deal around €20 million, give or take a few million either way, is more than reasonable

I would also, this guy actually seems injury prone. I guess though it depends if you see Dalot as our long term RB, Mazraoui probably makes more sense.
Sure this is something I see as back-up to Dalot/pushing for competition. Can he play left back too? If so thats a good consideration for 20m EUR

Mazraoui makes sense if you're just looking for a cheap replacement for AWB. For minimal net cost you replace a rotation/competition option in the last year of his contract for another rotation/competition option who fits the manager's approach better.

But if we're going to replace AWB this summer, then personally I'd prefer it if we committed the funds to get a higher-end, long term prospect at fullback. Even if that means not signing a player in another position that would have taken higher priority were it not for AWB's contract situation forcing us to act this summer.

I'd rather be slightly worse overall this season but have a high quality fullback option in place for the longer term than be slightly better this season but still have a long term need at fullback. If we're going to replace AWB this summer, do it properly.

Mazraoui makes sense if you're just looking for a cheap replacement for AWB. For minimal net cost you replace a rotation/competition option in the last year of his contract for another rotation/competition option who fits the manager's approach better.

But if we're going to replace AWB this summer, then personally I'd prefer it if we committed the funds to get a higher-end, long term prospect at fullback. Even if that means not signing a player in another position that would have taken higher priority were it not for AWB's contract situation forcing us to act this summer.

I'd rather be slightly worse overall this season but have a high quality fullback option in place for the longer term than be slightly better this season but still have a long term need at fullback.
I feel like Dalot would be the starting RB if either Vanderson or Mazaroui are considered. Dalot carries a lot of faith under Ten Hag and he's developed quite well.

Of course AWB was a problem when we needed to play out from the back + Dalot had to be left back. I would take whichever target is comfortable in tight spaces and building out from the back. We know this player can do it. Maybe Vanderson can too.

Sure this is something I see as back-up to Dalot/pushing for competition. Can he play left back too? If so thats a good consideration for 20m EUR
I think he probably can in the same way Dalot can if he inverts, wouldn't quote me on that though. They got him on a free, so I think we can squeeze on that price too.

I think he probably can in the same way Dalot can if he inverts, wouldn't quote me on that though. They got him on a free, so I think we can squeeze on that price too.
If we pick up a RB/LB dual option for a net spend of 10m EUR that's good business in my books.

If we pick up a RB/LB dual option for a net spend of 10m EUR that's good business in my books.
Agreed, as much as I like Vanderson, it would be mad to not see this as a much better deal. Would need a resident Ajax/Bayern fan to confirm if he can cover the left though. Even if he doesn't though, still a good deal.

The anti Dutch anti Ten Hagers are not going to like this.

You need to watch more of what he is capable of and not what he's been asked to do, Frimpong is definitely able to play in a back 4 it completely depends on the tactics from the manager
You takeaway the very best of his game if you ask him to do it. One on One defensively he's below average too, it doesn't make sense.

Frimpong is more of a RWB than a RB, which is why Dumfries played instead of him for the Netherlands.

He would be ideal if we played with 3 at the back, but in our system, I would rather play him on the wings than as a RB.
Dumfries starts ahead for the Netherlands because he always turns up for the Netherlands. He, too, usually finds himself as their highest player up the pitch. This is made possible by the other players in the back four shuffling across to cover space as a three when they have possession in the middle and final thirds.

The same kind of thing would be possible for us when Shaw is in the team. Not so much with Malacia. Worth noting also, that Ten Hag wanted Dumfries from the get-go, precisely because he wanted someone with more attacking potential at right back.

Frimpong is not a perfect player, but the insistence that he's just a winger and that we couldn't possibly play him in a back four is becoming a bit tiresome. Plenty of top teams use a fullback/centreback hybrid to allow the opposite player the freedom of their flank. The above is just one example, but it's also been done by the likes of Bayern Munich, Barcelona, and Man City over the last few years.

I get the feeling that if Mazraoui is on our radar, it might be because we see an opportunity to bring him in on loan and assess him before revisiting the right-back position next year. And even then, only if someone makes an acceptable offer for Wan-Bissaka. We've been regularly linked with Frimpong for a good couple of years now, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was the preferred target in the event that we had cash on the hip.

Don't rate Maz or De Ligt then?
Maz never convinced me, and in my opinion, De Ligt is alright but nothing special, and I got the feeling management wants to get rid of him anyway, so why fight the inevitable?

Reactions: Cheimoon
He really isn't. He's essentially a right winger.

Frimpong's stats from last season are certainly fun. 1st percentile for touches in the defensive penalty area, the defensive 3rd and the middle 3rd, but 99th percentile for touches in the attacking 3rd and the attacking penalty area. No defensive work at all, either. Obviously, he was playing as a winger for much of the season, which has massively skewed the stats, but amusing to see a nominal fullback with these kind of numbers.

Screenshot-2024-07-23-131134.jpg

Keeping AWB means either losing him for free next summer or handing him another contract. Neither of those seem more appealing than cashing in on him as much as we can now.

I get that a low fee is frustrating, but that's what happens when you allow a not-particularly-good player who is your second choice in his position to enter the last year of his contract.

But whether Mazraoui is who should replace him is a very different matter.
Offering AWB a new contract doesn't mean we have to up his salary or that we can't negotiate a better contract on his current value and quality. Of course that means if AWB himself is interested also, if he is so inclined on moving than either we get a better fee or he stays another year. Bayern can do that with Davies I am sure we can leave with loosing the reported 10m while we wait for a better option, considering we still need couple of more urgent positions covered.

Frimpong's stats from last season are certainly fun. 1st percentile for touches in the defensive penalty area, the defensive 3rd and the middle 3rd, but 99th percentile for touches in the attacking 3rd and the attacking penalty area. No defensive work at all, either. Obviously, he was playing as a winger for much of the season, which has massively skewed the stats, but amusing to see a nominal fullback with these kind of numbers.

Screenshot-2024-07-23-131134.jpg

He played very little as an actual winger. He's a wingback that gets forward into the box and scores goals. He doesnt defend

3e4337ae5aca79bda3088c1434f91e7f.png

The dutch also used Dumfries at rightback instead of him, he can defend as well as attack. Same as Mazraoui

Not sure it's the same, and upgrading from AWB to Mazraoui for 10m is hardly important when you look the state of the LB, CDM and winger position to say the least.
The media have been briefed ETH wants a centre mid, centre back and right back.

There's a ESPN article from an hour ago saying the same thing.

Not sure it's the same, and upgrading from AWB to Mazraoui for 10m is hardly important when you look the state of the LB, CDM and winger position to say the least.

If we don’t sell AWB this summer he leaves for nothing at the end of the season. If he can be sold and help fund a replacement then it’s important to get a deal done.

Status
Not open for further replies.