Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazraoui is not a downgrade on Wan Bissaka in Ten Hag’s football. What he brings to attack and flow of play is so much more important than his ability to make last ditch tackles.
I think you overrate Mazraoui attacking input. If we do want an all attacking RB I'd rather we invest in some more talented players like Frimpong. Mazraoui is just a waste of time.

I think you overrate Mazraoui attacking input. If we do want an all attacking RB I'd rather we invest in some more talented players like Frimpong. Mazraoui is just a waste of time.
Agree Frimpong is the better player attacking wise. But, he is more a right winger. And never played under Ten Hag so Mazraoui makes more sense as Ten Hag knows him well and he is an actual right back.

I follow many Bayern games, and similar to the situation with De Ligt, I consider it a mistake from Bayern's perspective to sell Mazraoui (assuming the report about a potential sale is true). To be honest, I believe Mazraoui is the best right-back at Bayern, but Kimmich has a higher standing as a German national player, and in addition, they have Boey and Stanisic who can also play as right-back. However, Mazraoui has the ambition to be a starting defender, which is difficult given the current squad situation, so he might want to leave on his own rather than Bayern necessarily wanting to let him go. He would probably be available for around €30-35 million. Against Real Madrid or Arsenal in the CL he was fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon
Agree Frimpong is the better player attacking wise. But, he is more a right winger. And never played under Ten Hag so Mazraoui makes more sense as Ten Hag knows him well and he is an actual right back.
I think whether he has played under ETH should be irrelevant, and let's hope the new structure decides rather than ETH. Mazraoui seems like a move sideways, if we do buy RB it's needs to be an upgrade on Dalot or a young talented one that can displace Dalot in the short future.

I’ve seen him give very good attacking output at Ajax, so it’s more a question of accessing it.

Like several has pointed out - if we want to put larger money on a first choice RB, Frimpong is an interesting alternative, but if we want to prioritize other positions, go with Dalot as first choice, and get a back up for decent money and whi can also play LB, that’s not Frimpong. But Mazraoui could be.

Would rather keep AWB
Do you watch Bundasliga? I've only checked with a couple of friends who watch Bundasliga, 1 supports Bayern too and they see Mazraoui as a good RB, hard working and good going forward. Their view is he'd be a comfortable upgrade on AWB but I haven't seen enough of him.

Would much rather keep Wan Bissaka. This guy is not better than Dalot and doesn't stay fit consistently enough to be a reliable backup.
Dalot is still very underrated i see. There are only few full backs better than Dalot.

If we sign a new RB then only Frimpong.....he can play as right-winger and of course as RWB.....he would give us so many more options.

Mazraoui is good but nothing special.

Oh c'mon please take him, we got so many defenders and we want to clear out a bit to get Tah (wouldn't mind if you buy De Ligt also)

Frimpong shouts just feel so unfounded, of the few Leverkusen matches I watched last season; he spent every match playing as a wide right winger being the man running in behind on the last line. He basically played like a right sided version of Rashford! His heatmaps confirm the same thing – even compared to other “attacking fullbacks” like Alexander-Arnold or Hakimi he’s a lot more forward. Putting him in a back 4 in the PL with our system is basically suicide. And that’s ignoring the larger fee he’ll cost.

On the topic of Mazraoui – no idea if he’s any good, really. The price seems relatively fair – breaking even for Wan Bissaka – but he seems awfully injury prone.

Also, maybe slightly weird aside, I don’t really like the idea of assisting fund Bayern’s transfer window.

If we sign a new RB then only Frimpong.....he can play as right-winger and of course as RWB.....he would give us so many more options.

Mazraoui is good but nothing special.
Yeah he can play right wing or RWB but he can't play RB in a back 4. Unless we change formation he's a non starter.

Oh c'mon please take him, we got so many defenders and we want to clear out a bit to get Tah (wouldn't mind if you buy De Ligt also)
Don't rate Maz or De Ligt then?

I think the only reason why people are skeptical here is because of ETH links. Realistically, by the end of Summer we could very well have Martinez, de Ligt and Mazraoui starting in our defense which should have great chemistry, are all solid players and should improve our defense noticably. Perhaps we can even have a go at Tagliafico who has played with Martinez on the left flank for Argentina and has also played for Ajax, he should be available on the cheap.

Having defenders that know each other is not a bad thing. Mourinho brought Carvalho and Ferreira with him when he moved to Chelsea too.

I think the only reason why people are skeptical here is because of ETH links. Realistically, by the end of Summer we could very well have Martinez, de Ligt and Mazraoui starting in our defense which should have great chemistry, are all solid players and should improve our defense noticably. Perhaps we can even have a go at Tagliafico who has played with Martinez on the left flank for Argentina and has also played for Ajax, he should be available on the cheap.

Having defenders that know each other is not a bad thing. Mourinho brought Carvalho and Ferreira with him when he moved to Chelsea too.
And Onana who has played with all 4. The only real significant issue with a potential Mazraoui signing is his injury record, it isn't pretty.

Frimpong shouts just feel so unfounded, of the few Leverkusen matches I watched last season; he spent every match playing as a wide right winger being the man running in behind on the last line. He basically played like a right sided version of Rashford! His heatmaps confirm the same thing – even compared to other “attacking fullbacks” like Alexander-Arnold or Hakimi he’s a lot more forward. Putting him in a back 4 in the PL with our system is basically suicide. And that’s ignoring the larger fee he’ll cost.

On the topic of Mazraoui – no idea if he’s any good, really. The price seems relatively fair – breaking even for Wan Bissaka – but he seems awfully injury prone.

Also, maybe slightly weird aside, I don’t really like the idea of assisting fund Bayern’s transfer window.
Dani Alves did the same thing for Barcelona. So have other fullbacks. As long as you can cover the space they leave behind them, they can cause a lot of issues for a opposition defence.

We narvel of these fullbacks who have licence to go forwards for the big elite teams abroad and help the attack, but then also worry if they were at our club, what would happen defensively. Need to think more like Real Madrid and less like Everton.

I personally couldn't give a toss how many players we sign that have played for Ajax or in Netherlands. I understand the skepticism from others, but the players being linked are of good quality and that's all matters.

I’ve seen him give very good attacking output at Ajax, so it’s more a question of accessing it.

Like several has pointed out - if we want to put larger money on a first choice RB, Frimpong is an interesting alternative, but if we want to prioritize other positions, go with Dalot as first choice, and get a back up for decent money and whi can also play LB, that’s not Frimpong. But Mazraoui could be.
If the idea of alternative is to sell AWB for peanuts like the 10m reported, and then go and spend 20m on Mazraoui I'd rather we keep AWB and invest those 10m somewhere else, like a proper LB. I'm really not convinced on this guy, and 20m is not even that cheap considering they got him for free and he has been very underwhelming to say the least.

And for good reason that is. ETH has brought a lot of crap for a lot of money.

No thanks, poor player to be linked with

He seems to be the most logical choice of the three linked - can cover both full back slots. Vanderson has good defensive stats and is better going forward, but would likely expect to start and Mazraoui is a lot better in the air. The concern of course is his injury record. Frimpong is hardly an upgrade on AWB defensively.

He seems to be the most logical choice of the three linked - can cover both full back slots. Vanderson has good defensive stats and is better going forward, but would likely expect to start and Mazraoui is a lot better in the air. The concern of course is his injury record. Frimpong is hardly an upgrade on AWB defensively.

Surely thats fine though? We should be looking for new starters in the full back slots.

If the idea of alternative is to sell AWB for peanuts like the 10m reported, and then go and spend 20m on Mazraoui I'd rather we keep AWB and invest those 10m somewhere else, like a proper LB. I'm really not convinced on this guy, and 20m is not even that cheap considering they got him for free and he has been very underwhelming to say the least.
That's how the glazers justified not upgrading the squad. That's why it's a mess.

Surely thats fine though? We should be looking for new starters in the full back slots.
This window? Really? When you already have Shaw and Dalot, and huge problems in midfield still?

I really think that's more of a next season problem. Dalot is pretty nailed on at RB and so is Shaw on the left, but his age and injury problems make that a bit more of an immediate concern. The club are probably conscious of developing Amass there as well though.

Keeping AWB means either losing him for free next summer or handing him another contract. Neither of those seem more appealing than cashing in on him as much as we can now.

I get that a low fee is frustrating, but that's what happens when you allow a not-particularly-good player who is your second choice in his position to enter the last year of his contract.

But whether Mazraoui is who should replace him is a very different matter.

After last season I am more than happy with Dalot as a starting RB. And he's perpetually available, like Bruno. Would hate to see his significant progression not allowed to continue. There's also the issue of other areas that are far more pressing and financial matters. Mazraoui is relatively cheap, while Vanderson would likely cost twice as much, if not more so (it's not like he's not one of Monaco's best players - contract until '28).

Dani Alves did the same thing for Barcelona. So have other fullbacks. As long as you can cover the space they leave behind them, they can cause a lot of issues for a opposition defence.

We narvel of these fullbacks who have licence to go forwards for the big elite teams abroad and help the attack, but then also worry if they were at our club, what would happen defensively. Need to think more like Real Madrid and less like Everton.
Other contemporary fullbacks at clubs we “marvel” at play with more discipline. Frimpong is the only one who has a third centre back and two midfielders behind him, the others play in back fours. Is Frimpong a very good player? Yes. Is he appropriate for this club, given the players we have at our disposal, our style of play, and current weaknesses? No. And that doesn’t make us “think like Everton”.

This window? Really? When you already have Shaw and Dalot, and huge problems in midfield still?

I really think that's more of a next season problem. Dalot is pretty nailed on at RB and so is Shaw on the left, but his age and injury problems make that a bit more of an immediate concern. The club are probably conscious of developing Amass there as well though.

Realistically obviously not. As you said other issues. But for various reasons Shaw, AWB, Dalot are all flawed.

Seems to have barely played football since leaving Ajax, and I don’t think he’s THAT good either, better on the market.
Fair enough. Who would you prefer?

Didn't even Laimer play RB instead of him?

I hope it's just a rumour because it wouldn't make much sense to replace AWB with him

Surely it makes sense to discuss whatever it is in the thread about him potentially signing for us, it’s not a performance thread and it’s something the club might consider when signing him - not that I even know what his views are.

We’ve got Joey Barton and Souness’ dodgy views being discussed in the football forum.
This is currently being discussed in the mod forum. There is no desire to turn player threads into proxies for political viewpoints to be aired. The links to the player are tenuous at the moment, but if he becomes a serious target for us, the stuff concerning his political views, which are intrinsically linked will obviously need to be appropriately housed, whether in the CE or the football forums remains to be seen.

For now, this remains off limits in the football forums, but you, or anyone else, are welcome to open a Mazraoui thread in the CE and discuss political views to your heart’s content.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Frimpong would be the transformation RB signing if there ever was one. We’d have the most explosive fullback in the country and he’d suit Amad well. We were heavily linked with him last year. With the unbeaten season, that one looks highly unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.