Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this our LB signing? Hopefully his injury record improves.
This would go heavily against any trend we have seen with our team, wouldn't it? :lol: I am a bit worried about the guy. Statistically, not all transfers will be successes and my money would be on him to be honest. Not a fan of both Bayern transfers but might be connected with my dislike of that club more than the actual players themselves.

Is this our LB signing? Hopefully his injury record improves.

It’s a signing for depth clearly.

SeasonDaysInjuriesGames missed
23/2496 days519
22/2372 days312
21/2256 days411
20/21107 days431
19/2049 days416
18/1921 days27
L17/1821 days14

Awesome, between him and Shaw we maybe only need one other injury stricken LB to get us through the season. Good business….

Misses what, 18 games a season on average over the past 5 years and is being brought in as a back up full back.
Sounds fine enough to me, we play 50 games or so on average so if he’s available for 32 as a back up…

He is good enough to be our starting RB.
I am very happy the club decided to upgrade the position, even though the focus of urgency had shifted to other areas because Dalot did okay for a season.

I wanted him before he went to Bayern. I think he's better than AWB and certainly fits better in attack. I would've been happier then as I am now, given all the injuries he had in the meantime, but basically doing a 1 for 1 is good business. The 5+1 contract is a head scratcher though, let's hope he doesn't earn too big a wage. Would hate to see him disappoint here and us being unable to offload him.

Misses what, 18 games a season on average over the past 5 years and is being brought in as a back up full back.
Sounds fine enough to me, we play 50 games or so on average so if he’s available for 32 as a back up…
Add to this base fee of €15m I cannot see a better value for money option in the market.

The Dutch and German leagues have 4 fewer games and no equivalent of the league cup.

Would probably average a good bit over 20 games missing even if he was out for the same amount of time here.

The Dutch and German leagues have 4 fewer games and no equivalent of the league cup.

Would probably average a good bit over 20 games missing even if he was out for the same amount of time here.

hmmmm… don’t Ajax and Bayern get to the final of their cups most years and hang out in Europe longer than us?

Do we know how many games the two have played in comparison to United?

I thought Reguilon short spell here was a net positive. What went wrong with him? He can stay fit. Good in attack and synced well with Rashford and almost scored in a few occasions. I actually liked him but for some reason he was never picked and his spell ended and never been discussed after.

Reactions: Cheimoon
hmmmm… don’t Ajax and Bayern get to the final of their cups most years and hang out in Europe longer than us?

Do we know how many games the two have played in comparison to United?
From a quick wiki scan of their recent seasons, it seems rare for their top appearance maker to have more than 45-50 games in a season in all comps.

Bruno has played 59 and 58 games for us in two of the last four seasons. Could easily get near that again with a deep run in the Europa and one more cup.

I thought Reguilon short spell here was a net positive. What went wrong with him? He can stay fit. Good in attack and synced well with Rashford and almost scored in a few occasions. I actually liked him but for some reason he was never picked and his spell ended and never been discussed after.
He offered nothing when playing. AWB played out of position was still a better defender than Reguilon.

Thank feck we didn’t go down this road again this summer.

Amad was a solskjaer signing and Garna came through the academy. Otherwise yes, I feel like the Ten Hag only signing Ajax players meme has been done to death.
Garna was also a ole signing from A Madrid

You can’t really argue with the price. For a good technical level squad player who can cover both fullback positions it’s as good as you’re going to get in this market really.

His injury record is a big concern though.

Bayern-fan here with some thoughts:
In general, the opinion on Mazraoui is mixed among Bayern-fans, but i think its safe to say, the majority wont be too sad that he is leaving (also because we could use the money, frankly).

When thinking about him, i also have mixed toughts. On the one hand he has some nice strengths: technical gifted for a fullback, his build-up/passing is good, he can be solid defensively. This showed when Maz had some good games against strong opponents in the CL.
But on the other hand, he had some very poor games, when even against lesser sides his flank was completly open (I remember Tuchel going crazy). Beside inconsistency his most glaring weakness is physicality imo. I see his injury proness often metioned: It's not only that, but he takes long to come back fully, and even when he is suppossed to be fit, he is one of the first players to be gassed.

Mazraoui is a mixed bag, let's see which one you will get; having Ten Hag as a coach will certainly benefit him.
This is not encouraging, to say the least. Sounds like we got rinsed.

As a backup for LB/RB, he will do for this season. Amass will have an year to progress without any significant pressure. We can add to FB position next year.

AWB on the ball play was an issue so replacing him with a backup for almost similar amount should be fine. Only issue is Shaw injury record

I agree. Reguilón actually would've been my pick for the left-back signing, if we were to make one this summer, like it was reported.

Good age, would've been almost for free, reasonable wages, content with a squad role, and actually did well last year when we loaned him for 6 months. Would've been a shrewd addition as a squad player as we already have Shaw, Malacia, Martínez and a big prospect in Amass for the left back role, with Dalot also being able to fill in. So going for a big player would've made no sense.

However, it seems like the club opted for a player who can cover both sides as a squad player, instead of someone like Reguilón who would've only filled in at left-back. Could be a smart move, we'll see.

He was talking about the scouts not doing their job when clearly whe have always had one of the best scouting, and have also signed lots of good players over the years.

I wanted him before he went to Bayern. I think he's better than AWB and certainly fits better in attack. I would've been happier then as I am now, given all the injuries he had in the meantime, but basically doing a 1 for 1 is good business. The 5+1 contract is a head scratcher though, let's hope he doesn't earn too big a wage. Would hate to see him disappoint here and us being unable to offload him.
The 5+1 is basically to amortise the cost of the transfer over 5 years to allow for more scope to get other players in this window. The actual PSR cost of this transfer would only by 3m this year due to the 5 year contract. Also, not difficult to move him on with a small PSR profit in a few years if we have to. He will get 8-10m for sure.

Amad was a solskjaer signing and Garna came through the academy. Otherwise yes, I feel like the Ten Hag only signing Ajax players meme has been done to death.
TBF, at some point it can't be just a coincidence.

There was an Athletic article that said the scouts/United preferred Dumfries but EtH wanted Mazraoui.

15m + 5m in add ons for this guy
receiving 15m for AWB with one year left on his deal

That’s quite an upgrade for what ends up being 5m in add ons, can’t imagine who would ever have a problem with that.

Only concern is the injury record. He’s technically much better than AWB so I think he’s a good addition overall but with our luck..

This thinking is crazy. He clearly was a ‘scout network signing’. Has nothing to do with the manager. What’s next, Louis van Gaal signed Mainoo as a 6 years old when he was manager?

TBF, at some point it can't be just a coincidence.

There was an Athletic article that said the scouts/United preferred Dumfries but EtH wanted Mazraoui.
Dumfries hasn’t played a back four in years, has he? His stature is fully based on a wing back in a back 5 system. Would struggle much more to adapt.

Mazraoui is plug and play. He knows exactly what to do in Erik’s system which is not to be said of about half of the squad still after two years..

Depth in the treatment room? So sounds like he could easily miss a third of the season, if that coincides with dalot or Shaw bring injured we are down to the bones again

The last thing we need is another injury prone defender. Particularly when there are questions about his ability, and giving him a 5 year contract is asking for trouble.

If this signing was made under the previous regime the club would be getting slated

Dumfries hasn’t played a back four in years, has he? His stature is fully based on a wing back in a back 5 system. Would struggle much more to adapt.

Mazraoui is plug and play. He knows exactly what to do in Erik’s system which is not to be said of about half of the squad still after two years..
We really should not be signing players just to suit ten hags system. That's what Antony and mount were for and they worked out well

Hopefully Dalot can stay fit for the majority of the season, fear Mazraoui won’t be physically up to the rigours of English football.

To the people saying ‘it’s fine if he gets injured a lot because he’s a depth signing anyway’, that doesn’t make any sense.

If everyone else is injured, he doesn’t magically become un-injured. He’s just going to be out as well.

To the people saying ‘it’s fine if he gets injured a lot because he’s a depth signing anyway’, that doesn’t make any sense.

If everyone else is injured, he doesn’t magically become un-injured. He’s just going to be out as well.
Yeah, it’s a weird justification. If anything your squad depth players need to be more injury free because they need to come at any point to replace the first choice guy.

Who cares about the past 5 years? If he missed a lot recently that's more worrying. What were the injuries? Was it something recurring all of a sudden? There has to be a decay factor in analysing historically otherwise it's a statistical bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.