Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

When it comes to scoring goals. Haaland seems better. Yeah R9 had step overs, but Haaland is a scoring freak.

I really dont like the comparisons with R9. They are not very similar to me.

Ronaldo had 167 goals in 185 matches by the age of 21, not too bad when it comes to scoring.

Haaland is playing lower quality opposition than R9 with the expanded field. Might be interesting to remove the easy games and see how many Haaland scored then.

Eh, he did it right from the off for SALZBURG. In a group with Liverpool and Napoli.

It’s fair to want to add some context to make the R9 comparisons fairer, but you’re reaching if you’re trying to claim Haaland’s not the superior goal machine.

The guy is a bigger faster Shearer, not R9.
This exactly.
Not sure why there are R9 comparisons at all. Strength is about it. R9 had more ball skill but was 6 inches smaller.
Be as well comparing him to Crouch ( which would be equally pointless)

Quite clear he's a unique archetype. Has the speed of Ronaldo, but the size and power of Carew. Predatory instincts of box strikers and an innate awareness of where to be across the final 3rd before he even makes his runs.

The pace and power is absolutely freakish, which is the only likeness to Ronaldo outside of being prolific that I can see.

But yeah, football is seeing something bizarre in a player so big being so impossibly hard to match for speed over any distance, and yet a natural, organic striker in minute spaces in the penalty area.

This exactly.
Not sure why there are R9 comparisons at all. Strength is about it. R9 had more ball skill but was 6 inches smaller.

The R9 comparison is (for me) because he appears to be so far ahead of those around him. Its a long time since I've seen a player come along and do that.

He's perfect for City really, he excels at putting the ball in the net, which is what they've been missing, and his technical deficiencies are covered by the rest of their team being excellent at it.

The only danger with his career is that his game is heavily based on his physical attributes, any injury that deprives him of pace and power. As long as he avoids anything like that, he'll be banging in the goals for years.

Just hope he fancies moving around a bit. Some do and some don’t.
His biggest Idol is Zlatan. Both shared Raiola as an agent before his passing. I see Haaland doing 3 years average stints.
Real Madrid in 2024 after Benzema retires then. Perez would do that in a heart-beat. He would move to a much weaker league though, so his scoring numbers would be astronomical.
La Liga is stronger than EPL. 11 UCL wins since 2000 and 11 Europa League wins. Meanwhile EPL has 5 UCL wins and 4 Europa League wins. Only thing you might argue is that EPL is more competitive across the board but that's a myth in my eyes.
Would score 50 goals in Bundesliga, just like Rashford.
Hahaha, made me laugh out loud. Perhaps in Bayern he could come close. But he would need the perfect season as there is only 34 games in Buli.
Shades of R9 about this. Genuine physical freak combined with first class movement and finishing. Just lacks a bit of Ronaldo's skill.
Can see what you mean. The way he just bullies through. Haaland is Zlatans strength and height, minus the technique but with R9s pace, finishing and pure force. Incredible!
Mbappe is that full package
Mbappe is indeed very similar to R9 with shades of Henry. I actually feel he is getting underrated because he plays for PSG. He would rip the EPL to absolute shreds just like Haaland is doing.
Difference is I can see Haaland play 40, score 50, provide 8 assists.
Mbappe would play 40, score 34, provide 21 assists.
Both absolute monsters.

Quite clear he's a unique archetype. Has the speed of Ronaldo, but the size and power of Carew. Predatory instincts of box strikers and an innate awareness of where to be across the final 3rd before he even makes his runs.

The pace and power is absolutely freakish, which is the only likeness to Ronaldo outside of being prolific that I can see.

But yeah, football is seeing something bizarre in a player so big being so impossibly hard to match for speed over any distance, and yet a natural, organic striker in minute spaces in the penalty area.
I've never ever seen a player compared to both Ronaldo and John Carew before. Haaland really is special

This exactly.
Shearer's pre-injury game did not have so much box work like Haaland and a lot more long-range work. I see they have a little overlap, but you can say that with Haaland and a lot of elite strikers; you can even put some Greaves or Müller in there or the Ajax Van Basten and have some overlap, but nothing really matches if you dig deeper. Klinsmann in some ways, but nowhere near the German with his heading.

Haaland's technique is notches down on Van Basten, Greaves and Ronaldo up there, but also not in the realm of Shearer's in terms of shooting from 20+ yards out off either foot, so it quickly becomes a blur and difficult to layer trace him with anyone.

It would be interesting to do a deep dive and see which striker he most resembles; to date, his technique will be a stumbling block, I think.

He might get the Messi/Ronaldo fanatics twitchy with his scoring. About the only fun thing to come out of this.

Looks like he is ideally placed to smash records in the PL, in an already stupidly dominant team, going to be easy pickings for years for him without injury.

I don't see why these comparisons to Ronaldo are so insulting. He's a bit of an anomaly... thus why he absurdly stands out, and did so well before today or even his signing at City. Ronaldo was also an anomaly and that was clear as day at an incredibly young age too. Which is where the comparison is, not necasarrily with a direct similar skillset.

He's already done it at a CL level(with 2 teams), an international level against nations above his, and now ... his fourth league, at 22. All with relative ease. Whether he qualifies for an international tournament isn't solely on him.

After listening to the WWWK episode on Mino, u am 100% sure the plan was to move him around every 3 years. Now with Mino not around anymore i am a little bit more worried that he will stay with City for a long time.

I love Ronaldo but it’s like comparing him to Gerd Muller and pretending he was equally as good at getting these goals just because he was amazing on the ball. He was way better at many things. But that wasn’t his strength and this strength that Haaland has is not as impressive but it is incredibly valuable. Ronaldo wasn’t bad at it but he wasn’t even as good as someone like van Nistelrooy at it. That was clear at the time. Haaland appears to be on another level.
I disagree. I think they just have different skillsets and Ronaldo's game didn't showcase his poacher attributes, though I don't think he was any worse positionally than Haaland is now. Without wishing to relitigate the R7 vs Messi argument, I think this similarly comes down to what you privilege more. But I suspect that if you asked most people born in the mid 80s and before (no dig at you, I absolutely know that your footie knowledge is exemplary) most would take R9 without question.

I wish people would stop saying this.
Argue against it then other than saying “no it’s not”
I’m 46 and watched a lot of ronaldos early years as I was obsessed with football when I was younger.
Haaland is similar in a lot of categories.
Goal scoring, physique, pace, determination. He’s not as skillful on the ball granted but in terms of impact as a relative youngster and his general aura on the pitch he’s very similar

The only real question with this guy, is how will he do when Guardiola plays him at DM in CL semis this year.

He was always going to score in games that city always win anyway.

Will he make the difference in the couple of big games a year that city have that decide if the year is a success or a failure.

I don't see why these comparisons to Ronaldo are so insulting. He's a bit of an anomaly... thus why he absurdly stands out, and did so well before today or even his signing at City. Ronaldo was also an anomaly and that was clear as day at an incredibly young age too. Which is where the comparison is, not necasarrily with a direct similar skillset.

He's already done it at a CL level(with 2 teams), an international level against nations above his, and now ... his fourth league, at 22. All with relative ease. Whether he qualifies for an international tournament isn't solely on him.
Because one was legitimately being bracketed as one of the best players of all time by the age Haaland is now, and not because of just athleticism but also astonishing technique.

Speed and power and scoring lots of goals are really broad points of comparison with all the filling scooped out.

Argue against it then other than saying “no it’s not”
I’m 46 and watched a lot of ronaldos early years as I was obsessed with football when I was younger.
Haaland is similar in a lot of categories.
Goal scoring, physique, pace, determination. He’s not as skillful on the ball granted but in terms of impact as a relative youngster and his general aura on the pitch he’s very similar
Already posted. Athleticism, sure. Goals, too. That shouldn't be enough.

CL is a pretty different format now though, no?
Ofcorse.

Still R9 made 14 goals in 40 games. Format or not, Haaland will have like 2.5 times as many when he reaches 40 games. No?

All i said is Haaland scores more in CL football. No?

No?

Reminds me of a Vieri on steroids.

It’s a bit weird what this guy does. At this rate he may quickly enter the pantheon of all time great forwards to play the game. EPL didn’t see anything like that for a long time

As a norwegian I have absolutely no positive feelings about this.
Don't get me wrong, I hate that he is playing for City, but I don't think we will ever experience a norwegian footballer as good as this ever again.

Because one was legitimately being bracketed as one of the best players of all time by the age Haaland is now, and not because of just athleticism but also astonishing technique.

Speed and power and scoring lots of goals are really broad points of comparison with all the filling scooped out.

And if Haaland played then and for Brazil.... instead of now and for Norway, in an time when you've generated, what 4(at worst) - consistently rated top 10 players in the years since. He'd be getting it too. Forget the fact we realistically barely saw Ronaldo compared to the fact we see every minute of Haaland's ascension from about 8 angles.

Maybe not to the same level, but I hardly see this as some insult comparison.

In gaming terms his build is glitchy.

He’s a fecking dickhead. Coming here and showing our league for the farmer’s league that it is.

Haaland is playing lower quality opposition than R9 with the expanded field. Might be interesting to remove the easy games and see how many Haaland scored then.
Only problem is that Haaland was in one of the lower quality expanded teams... And yeah, he was scoring there too.

This hasn't been reported by anyone reliable. Don't pin your hopes on him leaving over the next decade.
It's been reported even by City correspondents when he signed
Plus he gives off serious journey man vibes like Zlatan. 10yrs is a lot of time for someone of his stature to stick to one place

Assuming he stays fit hell break the record for most goals in a league season. Sure Salah has it with 32.

something tells me his fanboys here are going to be very silent when we reach october and he's only at 48 pl goals.