Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

As someone who wasnt following his transfer, and the transfer rumours over the last year or two, any reason why the likes of Real and PSG etc werent in for him?. I mean i'm really surprised by Real ,are they skint now or soemthing?. Not getting Haaland, not getting Mbappe, even after seriously trying, i mean you never used to see that with Madrid a few years ago.

As someone who wasnt following his transfer, and the transfer rumours over the last year or two, any reason why the likes of Real and PSG etc werent in for him?. I mean i'm really surprised by Real ,are they skint now or soemthing?. Not getting Haaland, not getting Mbappe, even after seriously trying, i mean you never used to see that with Madrid a few years ago.

They were. But he chose City.

Because to sign him you had to accept a release clause as part of the deal non of the traditional big clubs were interested in that.

Ignoring the obvious huge fees to agents/family etc which are ignored mainly when reported in the media.

Ronaldo is football god. Out of this world. He is labelled as one of the best in history of football. Players and coaches who worked woth him think that he is the goat.

And now, people try to compare Haaland with him? So people are trying to say that Haaland is (can be) one of the best in history? Come on.....

Ronaldo is legendary.... and so is Messi. So why can't the other 2 players who match their feats be compared to what they did at similar ages? No ones outright saying either are better, some might think they could become better, I'm not one of them people mind you, but I don't see why what Haaland is doing shouldn't compared to the level of player he's matching numbers against.... should we compare him to 18-22 year old Michael Owen instead? But the gap between Owen's 0.6(ish) per 90 goals and Haaland's 1+ per 90 is a bit of a jump no? As are Raul and Rooney at 0.5(ish).

Come on now...

He’s absolutely rapid. His size covers it, but top speed wise he can hang with the likes of Mbappe, Rashford, Davies, Traore… and he’s not exactly slow to take off, so it’s not like it’s just because of his stride once he gets going.

Do a google for the numbers if you question it.

Eight goals, less than 100 touches.

Nine :nervous:

If he stays in the Prem, he will be the greatest PL player of all time and break Shearer's record.

Real Madrid, please come and help us again.

Ronaldo is legendary.... and so is Messi. So why can't the other 2 players who match their feats be compared to what they did at similar ages? No ones outright saying either are better, some might think they could become better, I'm not one of them people mind you, but I don't see why what Haaland is doing shouldn't compared to the level of player he's matching numbers against.... should we compare him to 18-22 year old Michael Owen instead? But the gap between Owen's 0.6(ish) per 90 goals and Haaland's 1+ per 90 is a bit of a jump no? As are Raul and Rooney at 0.5(ish).

Comparing anyone to Messi or Ronaldo is always a losing proposition, irrespective of whether the comparison is for the first few years of the player’s career. The main reason is because these two are universally regarded as the two greatest players ever, so any comparison will infer that said player is on pace to become the greatest ever, which wouldn’t be fair to all parties involved.

Ok. Haaland is nowhere near Ronaldo and never will be. He is great poacher and will score shit load of goals in his career and will become (if not already) one of the best no9s in the world.
But Haaland depends on team (as you could see when he plays for Norway). Ronaldo was attack by himself. Just as Mbappe (not on Ronaldo's level) is.
Haaland doesn't have half of talent which Ronaldo or Mbappe or Messi have. It is complete blasphemy for me to put him in same sentence with R9

But yes, he is excellent goalscorer.

I think it depends on what the context of comparison comes from. If it's to measure statistics then by all accounts Haaland deserves mentions with the best in history.

If it's in terms of other attributes that are also big contributions to the game, than he will have to show more in his arsenal. R9 covered both the statistical elements and other areas flair, speed, dynamism, trickery etc. I think Haaland is his own person, he's not similar to any strikers I can think of in the past he's a goal machine. Thought it would take longer to integrate into a Pep system but he's so good at what he does it would almost be foolish of Pep to demand significant changes to his game. Perhaps it's something he learnt from the failures with Ibrahimovic.

Ok. Haaland is nowhere near Ronaldo and never will be. He is great poacher and will score shit load of goals in his career and will become (if not already) one of the best no9s in the world.
But Haaland depends on team (as you could see when he plays for Norway). Ronaldo was attack by himself. Just as Mbappe (not on Ronaldo's level) is.
Haaland doesn't have half of talent whivh Ronaldo or Mbappe or Messi have. It is complete blasphemy for me to put him in same sentence with Ronaldo.

What does this even mean? He's smashing them in (and against better teams) for Norway and all his previous teams too. Very odd one that. He'd probabaly score in any team, as Norway actually does prove.

Comparing anyone to Messi or Ronaldo is always a losing proposition, irrespective of whether the comparison is for the first few years of the player’s career. The main reason is because these two are universally regarded as the two greatest players ever, so any comparison will infer that said player is on pace to become the greatest ever, which wouldn’t be fair to all parties involved.
Hm, you are talking about original Ronaldo or Cristiano?

Ronaldo is football god. Out of this world. He is labelled as one of the best in history of football. Players and coaches who worked woth him think that he is the goat.

And now, people try to compare Haaland with him? So people are trying to say that Haaland is (can be) one of the best in history? Come on.....

No, not "now". That's been an ongoing theme among commentators, pundits, experts for at least a couple of years. It's not exactly a novel or extraordinary proposition. Unsurprisingly, given that what he's accomplished by age 22 stacks up favorably compared to practically anyone, including most of the universally acknowledged greats. Not saying it's a foregone conclusion, but it certainly is a real question.

Surprised it took him this long to get 3 goals before halftime.

Forget about leagues while this bloke is about. Without him they had the odd, slight chink in the armour, with him they're going to be very hard to stop over a full league season. He just gives them more options. In the air, his power on the counter, sniffing out goals from nowhere. There's not really any strategy that takes him out of the game because if you play progressively he can kill you, and if you defend the box he is way more of a threat from crosses etc than the false 9s.

Forget about leagues while this bloke is about. Without him they had the odd, slight chink in the armour, with him they're going to be very hard to stop over a full league season. He just gives them more options. In the air, his power on the counter, sniffing out goals from nowhere. There's not really any strategy that takes him out of the game because if you play progressively he can kill you, and if you defend the box he is way more of a threat from crosses etc than the false 9s.

The thing that’s surprised me the most about him is the ‘right place right time’ aspect. He’s been phenomenal at that. But I do think it’s too early to be sure that he’ll continue in this vein. Not enough games, and none at all (I think) against the big boys.

No, not "now". That's been an ongoing theme among commentators, pundits, experts for at least a couple of years. It's not exactly a novel or extraordinary proposition. Unsurprisingly, given that what he's accomplished by age 22 stacks up favorably compared to practically anyone, including most of the universally acknowledged greats. Not saying it's a foregone conclusion, but it certainly is a real question.
I don't think that all of you, who are comparing him with Ronaldo at that age (original Ronaldo, to be clear), watched Ronaldo at that age. If you were than this conversation wouldn't exist

Haaland doesn't have half of talent which Ronaldo or Mbappe or Messi have. It is complete blasphemy for me to put him in same sentence with R9

Really? The thing is, he's got 20 goals in 21 games for Norway. In other words, he's been scoring at about the same rate as for Dortmund in the BL, or for both Salzburg and Dortmund in the CL. If anything, the extreme consistency of his scoring record at different levels at with teams of different strength would strongly suggest that he does not depend on team.

Keeps up this form and records will tumble. I knew he'd score goals but he is basically looking like the cherry on the cake now.

Silva, Foden and De Bruyne just need to put the ball into the correct space and he does the rest.

Scary thing is he's so fast and clinical he can score all manner of goals. Put the ball behind and he's away like a gazelle, put the ball in a tight packed area he will use power and precision.

Scary talent.

No he doesn't. He's weak in the air and doesn't really score from a slightly longer distance.

If anything, he has a few types of finishes but he's insanely efficient and consistent at them.

I understand he has had a tremendous start but let's not go overboard and just invent stuff.

He's a very limited player but an absolute monster of a goalscorer and when you get the numbers he's producing, does it even matter that much for City?
He has. scored from distance against PSG. He has also scored bicycle kicks before. Just because you haven't seen it all yet in the PL it doesnt mean he hasnt shown it before. His career didn't start 5 games ago.

Also this limited thing sounds like a baseless and lazily formed opinion to me. In which way is he limited?

Strikers aren't supposed to be the primary ball handlers, there are other players on the pitch for that. People are allowing one or two exceptions in football history to cloud their judgement on this player and holding him to the same standard. That is crazy stuff. If he is limited then who is complete in the game today?

The simple fact is 4 different competitions and nobody has the formula to stop this player. If there is anyone limited its the defenders and teams that don't have the answers to stop him.

I don't think that all of you, who are comparing him with Ronaldo at that age (original Ronaldo, to be clear), watched Ronaldo at that age. If you were than this conversation wouldn't exist

I'm not comparing him to Ronaldo. I'm just pointing out that pretty much the whole football world disagrees with you when you argue that the notion of Haaland possibly being a player on that level is absurd. And that the fact that you're surprised about this may suggest you haven't been paying much attention.

I'm not comparing him to Ronaldo. I'm just pointing out that pretty much the whole football world disagrees with you when you argue that the notion of Haaland possibly being a player on that level is absurd. And that the fact that you're surprised about this may suggest you haven't been paying much attention.

He ignore absolutely any point that tries to give an insight as to why this comparison is happening and any question gets ignored seemingly. I'd just yeah.... move on.

Yes because r9 played for some real shitty teams whilst he accumulated his goal records.

Shearer's pre-injury game did not have so much box work like Haaland and a lot more long-range work. I see they have a little overlap, but you can say that with Haaland and a lot of elite strikers; you can even put some Greaves or Müller in there or the Ajax Van Basten and have some overlap, but nothing really matches if you dig deeper. Klinsmann in some ways, but nowhere near the German with his heading.

Haaland's technique is notches down on Van Basten, Greaves and Ronaldo up there, but also not in the realm of Shearer's in terms of shooting from 20+ yards out off either foot, so it quickly becomes a blur and difficult to layer trace him with anyone.

It would be interesting to do a deep dive and see which striker he most resembles; to date, his technique will be a stumbling block, I think.

He's a physically stronger and far quicker Ruud. Simples.

He won’t be here long enough to do that. He’ll be off to Madrid/Barca/Bayern after 3 years, and yes I did say the same with Aguero thank you very much.
He's got a release clause at city hes blatantly going in 2/3 years, 150mill euro and with the way his stats are that will be considered a bargain price.
Real Madrid in 2024 after Benzema retires then. Perez would do that in a heart-beat. He would move to a much weaker league though, so his scoring numbers would be astronomical.

Wishful thinking I fear. If he continues the way he is and becomes what he should become then Citeh will offer him an even more eye watering salary than he's currently on to extend (on or off the books; doesn't really matter). Even Madrid wouldn't be able to offer a similar package to what Citeh could.

Hopnestly dont get the Ronaldo comparisons, except outside of possible similar goal return. They are vastly different kinds of players.
Haaland reminds me more on an old school striker, a Ruud style striker, and i dint mean that as a diss, there arent enough of those type of strikers anymore.

Anyway if the release clause thing is true, he's def not expecting to stay at City for years on end.

Mbappes stats

21/22
46 games, 39 goals, 26 assists

19/20
36 games, 30 goals, 18 assists

National Team total
57 games, 27 goals, 21 assists

Yes, he has had problems with Neymar (and covertly Messi) recently but Mbappe is not a selfish player that never assists or one that lacks an eye for a pass. But of course he is a striker that is capable of scoring 0.85-1.15 goals a game in a season so his assist rate won't be higher than 0.3-0.6 because he is looking for goals first and foremost.
He is selfish when it comes to passing to Messi and Neymar. He absolutely wants to be the star of the team. He scores because that is what he plays to do, kinda like Cristiano Ronaldo at Madrid where the aim was to not only be the star of the team but to try and eclipse Messi. And what better way than to outscore him? After all, goals grab headlines.
How were you accessing ... most of that career?

And sorry, but in the 18-22 years, exactly how many other players have had this level of performance in terms of goalscoring accross multiple leagues, cups and internationally for almost the whole period.... this is gonna be fun. (It's Mbappe and Messi fyi, who are a fair bit below on a goal level actually, but we'll throw them in due to assists, still a pretty goddamn exclusive list for 30 years)
I think you should write about 20 to 22 years because Ronaldo joined Barca at age almost 20 years.

Messi's allround play at 19 to 22 was better than L.Ronaldo's and easily better than Mbappe's. He was a better dribbler (actually extraordinary) and playmaker at 19 than both. All he lacked at ages 19 and 20 years was the goal output of L.Ronaldo mainly because of his position as a winger/playmaker as compared to Ronaldo's no 9 position and recurrent lengthy injuries (when match fit he would go on scoring runs). In addition that Barca team was in disarray. People tend to forget Messi’s injury problems early in his career.

By age 21 his goal output was as good as Ronaldo's despite his position on the pitch because he had an injury free season and the team around him was better.

By age 22 he was already on a different level to anyone else.

But yea, Haaland is essentially a pure goalscorer whose allround play is far Inferior to that of L. Ronaldo. That is unquestionable.

He ignore absolutely any point that tries to give an insight as to why this comparison is happening and any question gets ignored seemingly. I'd just yeah.... move on.
Yeah, better to move on i guess. Because this reminds me on time when my old man was talking to me about Pele and Cruyf and my arguments were "But but stats and shit".

Haaland comparism with R9 is laughable for me. Maybe because i watched both and maybe i am biased towards Ronaldo. But you just carry on. That is point of football forum, isn't? :wenger:

I disagree. I think they just have different skillsets and Ronaldo's game didn't showcase his poacher attributes, though I don't think he was any worse positionally than Haaland is now. Without wishing to relitigate the R7 vs Messi argument, I think this similarly comes down to what you privilege more. But I suspect that if you asked most people born in the mid 80s and before (no dig at you, I absolutely know that your footie knowledge is exemplary) most would take R9 without question.

Oh yeah I’d think 90%+ of folks would consider Ronaldo better. Not sure what the younger folks think of him at this point? I think you’d have to be mad to call Haaland better at this stage. Not sure that’s what people mean when they say “shades of R9”, though? I take it more as a compliment of Haaland just being a phenomenon at a young age, with a physical style that looks almost superhuman in some aspects, rather than a genuine comparison between the two? Not sure.

I do think there are some people who might consider Haaland better than Ronaldo at the end of his career, but they’re the ones who really care about goals totals and title records. But I think few of them exist right now. And most will always prefer Ronaldo’s natural talent and wide range of ridiculous skills than Haaland’s more limited skill set.

Personally I’m excited to see another player that might compare to Muller in terms of having those ridiculous reactions, instincts and and anticipation. I’ve felt for a long time that the way people downplay Muller as “just a goal scorer” completely misses the magic in being that good at the hardest part of the game. It’s a special thing to see.

I think people will see that in a more tangible way with Haaland. I doubt he’ll ever be as clever a player but just those skills combined with that absurd physique does line him up as a really unforgettable player. Where that ranks him on some list seems less important.

This kid will have insane numbers by the end of his career. Still 22 years old, crazy.

Yeah, better to move on i guess. Because this reminds me on time when my old man was talking to me about Pele and Cruyf and my arguments were "But but stats and shit".

Haaland comparism with R9 is laughable for me. Maybe because i watched both and maybe i am biased towards Ronaldo. But you just carry on. That is point of football forum, isn't? :wenger:

Well... ignoring multiple points(even ignoring anything of mine) while consistently saying the same thing isn't, to me at least, no.

I'm not sure what your first sentence has to do with anything either... you could argue for either, but no one knows the context of that conversation other than "stats and shit"?

People are comparing him to Brazilian Ronaldo.

I agree that he simply isn't as good as Brazilian Ronaldo but you'll have to come to accept those comparisons for 2 reasons:
1. He does have the strength, speed and goal scoring prowess of Brazilian Ronaldo.

2. Mordern football unfortunately is about numbers. So long as he keeps putting the ball in the net with regularity, it doesn't matter how, it doesn't matter that he is technically far Inferior to Brazilian Ronaldo. It is a faulty comparison but that's football in 2022.

It is similar to the longstanding arduous debate Ronaldo vs Messi. One is far superior at everything else but goalscoring (where they are equal) yet there is a comparison.

This kid will have insane numbers by the end of his career. Still 22 years old, crazy.
Feeding off that talented City midfield. He's going to be bagging goals left and right.

Seems like a very grounded and humble guy too.

These lot had Sterling as their poacher for years and he was scoring 20-30 a season in all comps and he’s a terrible finisher. Not surprised by Haalands start. As a United fan with the current state of things can’t say im even bothered. With or without Haaland city have and will stack up league titles whilst we’re battling for 6th.

Also this bloke has now apologised to Haaland :lol:

Jesus what a bad take that was.

I've never been more sure of a player being a success than Haaland. The doubts came from him only playing in bundesliga but you only have to look at his goal record at CL level to know you're dealing a special player. Physicality of the PL was never going to be an issue for him given his physical gifts. Then add in the number of chances City create.

Jesus what a bad take that was.

I've never been more sure of a player being a success than Haaland. The doubts came from him only playing in bundesliga but you only have to look at his goal record at CL level to know you're dealing a special player. Physicality of the PL was never going to be an issue for him given his physical gifts. Then add in the number of chances City create.
I’m not sure I would call them “gifts”. He is built like Peter Crouch, and been working hard, i think.

Why compare him to Ronaldo or Messi? It's a near impossible bar to reach. It also makes it seem like if you're not Ronaldo or Messi you're somehow shite.

The fact is that Haaland is a gid yin or twa* times better than most other strikers plying their trade in the league right now. Other than Lewandowski I struggle to think of another who is. Whilst the bar set by the once-in-a-lifetime GOATs (yet somehow we often fail to appreciate how we got two in one decade) is unsurmountable, it's important to remember that the "Second Tier" that Haaland and Lewa share is miles above the third tier. Like in tennis, in another decade THEY would be the GOATs no matter how fleeting the length of their success is/might be.

But he's also a cnut because he plays for that shitstain of a club so feck him, and I'll do what I usually do when I see or hear something that annoys me and drown him out like white noise. The only people who truly care about how he's doing at City are the five folk and their dog that turn up to their home games.

*"A good one or two" for those of you who aren't uneducated.

Note; I'm having my half yearly drink of the year so I'm shitfaced. Wooooot.