Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

We had ole then who had coached him at molde.

Also the plan would have probably been to use us as a stepping stone to either of Spanish giants or some other team.

And who said that his dream was to go to Spain? He was a City fan since he was a little kid. He was wearing City kits when he was a kid. Why would he ever consider joining United? As a "stepping stone" to City?

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/erling-haaland-manchester-city-fan-interview-63790703

So, ‘why City?’ is probably a redundant question!

“First of all, my father, a little bit,” Erling explained.

“I was born in England. I have been a City fan my whole life. I know a lot about the club.

“In the end, [deciding to sign was down to] two things. I feel at home here and I feel I can develop and get the best out of my game at City."

He doesn't control the game like a Benzema or Mbappe can. If he doesn't get the service, he hardly is capable of breaking down the defense on his own. A goal like Mbappe's had against Real Madrid, I won't see Haaland ever being able to score, for example. But he has his own advantages, he can get CBs bouncing off him, he has a huge physical advantage over Mbappe for sure, and even Benzema because of his speed, but those two have more to their toolkit than he does to impact the game in multiple ways IMO. As far as him strolling into the PL, who is honestly surprised? People massively overrate the difficulty of the PL, elite players will make a mockery of any league, especially if they're in the best team of said league.
You're overrating Mbappe. Mbappe doesn't control games, only very few players in the world can control games. Messi and Neymar are the ones off the top of my head who can do that, the latter is also a superior player compared to Mbappe. Since you're a PSG fan, I assume that you know that is Neymar who has been pulling all the strings for the attack since he arrived. Neymar has a lot of flashy moments, but what people might not realize is that he has silently become the best playmaker in the world. His passing and vision have become legendary.

Neymar, and of course Messi, possess the football IQ to be able to control games, Mbappe doesn't have that. Mbappe relies on his speed, that is why he thrived under Poch hoofball. Galtier is now introducing a more possessive based style of football, this is why Neymar and Messi are thriving and will continue to thrive. They play best when the ball is at their feet, with Mbappe it's the opposite. Don't make a mistake about it, Mbappe is quite poor technically, especially compared to some of the best ever. Remember when United beat PSG 3-1 in the CL 2019? That Mbappe performance was hilariously bad, constantly tripping over his own feet, constantly misplacing passes, and dribbling the ball out of play.

There's just something so stiff and uninspiring about his play style that makes it hard imagining him as a ballon d'or winner.

Just compare him with the silkiness of the great strikers of the past(van Basten, l.ronaldo, romario etc etc)or Benzema and to a degree Lewandowski as of now.

Last 2 Balloons won by Ronaldo were with him being mainly a goalscorer, so it's not impossible for Haaland to win the award.

If Ronaldo in his goalscorer version can win it, so can Haaland

I don't know where you get that from. He's actually quite loose with his touch and relies on his extreme pace to bail him out of it. His technical ability i.e close control is a little underdeveloped because he has no need for it in France, it only ever gets shown up in Europe.
Compared to halland he's definitely a better technician but yeah he definitely relies on hi pace to bail him out from time to time.

He could certainly improve his game in that aspect and seems to have a nice understanding of how to utilize his physical advantages.

And who said that his dream was to go to Spain? He was a City fan since he was a little kid. He was wearing City kits when he was a kid. Why would he ever consider joining United? As a "stepping stone" to City?

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/erling-haaland-manchester-city-fan-interview-63790703

So, ‘why City?’ is probably a redundant question!

“First of all, my father, a little bit,” Erling explained.

“I was born in England. I have been a City fan my whole life. I know a lot about the club.

“In the end, [deciding to sign was down to] two things. I feel at home here and I feel I can develop and get the best out of my game at City."
No need for it to be a dream, it's just business and Madrid and Barcelona are massive.

Anyway the evidence we have paints the picture of us absolutely being in the race to sign him, I doubt him *reportedly* being a city fan would have made much of a difference had we accepted a release clause.

God I am dreading Martinez trying to cope with him when we play them, how on earth didn't our scouting team see the talent.

where did I say there wasnt movement. There was very little in both, it relied more on others finding him.

You can’t end up in a goal scoring position without movement, though. Maybe you can literally stand still at a corner but otherwise there’s always movement to get there. They found him because he was in a position to be found.

For the first goal he actually feinted 3 ways to shake off his marker for the first phase, and then ran across the front of his man on the second phase to score. If he stood still he wouldn’t have gotten to the ball ahead of the defender.

These are all subtle movements but then if they weren’t subtle they wouldn’t work, because the defenders would recognise them quicker than we would. It’s really hard to tell whether most #9s would even get across his man for that first goal. His acceleration is so quick and these things happen in such a short space of time that it’s easy to just denigrate it as easy poaching.

At the end of the day he is so much better at it than anyone in the world that you have to accept on balance that he’s probably doing something a bit special. They’re the basics of poaching but he is just much more effective at it. Denigrating individual poached goals without acknowledging the pattern doesn’t really make sense.

Yes. Mbappe is more complete, but Haaland is a better striker :D Both are incredible game changers.

Mbappe and Haaland are definitely my choice ahead of Benzema, Kane, Neymar, Lew.

Obviously the two will be compared a lot. Mbappe is more rounded and at this point has played and done well in more big games. But Haaland has a much better goal record as he is more penalty box focused.

The interesting thing now is that Haaland has made the move to the PL so all his exploits will be magnified. Mbappe has remained in France where his bread and butter work in the league gets little respect, no matter how spectacular. This may give Haaland a chance to forge ahead of Mbappe in the reckoning.

Anyway the evidence we have paints the picture of us absolutely being in the race to sign him, I doubt him *reportedly* being a city fan would have made much of a difference had we accepted a release clause.
Well, as per the player himself, Erling Haaland has revealed that he rejected a move to Manchester United because he had a ‘better feeling’ with Borussia Dortmund.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/11/erli...-gunnar-solskjaer-borussia-dortmund-12039827/

And as per his agent who knew extremely well about Man Utd with his client Pogba already in the team, ‘Clearly he [Erling Haaland] felt that at this moment it was not the right step in his career. There is nothing against Manchester United or Ole.

https://www.footballtransfers.com/e...ls-why-haaland-rejected-man-utd-dortmund-2020
https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/30/mino...r-united-transfer-borussia-dortmund-11976735/

And as per BVB CEO, Hans-Joachim Watzke has revealed that Mino Raiola was the reason Erling Haaland snubbed Manchester United in their favour.

https://weallfollowunited.com/2021/...aland-snubbing-manchester-united-in-2019/amp/

I am pretty sure Haaland has zero regret about his decision.

It's either you or Watzke who are completely wrong on the matter. I wonder who...

Please don't put that quote out, so what if we lost him to another club, least we would have got a couple of years but just wouldn't accept clause.

Club affiliations are overrated when people talk about footballer's career choices. City weren't in for him at that point, it was between us and Dortmund and we had certainly been able to offer more money than them, but strategic thinking and Raiola made sure that he went to Germany. We obviously didn't have any chance of signing him this summer in a direct competition with City and Pep.

Also, I hope that you're not referring to "Keane ending his father's career" myth when you talk about his "terrible history" with us.

Will openly admit I'm jealous as hell he is playing for City not us due to clowns running this club.

He had a history with Roy Keane. On that note, dad Haaland has since said that he would not mind if Erling joins MUFC back when he was a Salzburg player.

Of course we could offer him money. Not trophies the same way City can right now.

Im not sure why you are so set in your opinion when all parties involved have spoken words that contradict this absolute stance.

Yeah well it never happened and let's just say due to serious incompetence from board, scouts we have missed out on a generational freak

serious incompetence from board, scouts we have missed out on a generational freak

This is closer to the truth than anything. The club could have gone all out to sign him when he was at Molde. Easy to be wise after the fact of course, but here we are with Mr. Goalalot wearing blue.

This is closer to the truth than anything. The club could have gone all out to sign him when he was at Molde. Easy to be wise after the fact of course, but here we are with Mr. Goalalot wearing blue.

We will regret messing that up for years to come

Who else?

So, you are the type only measure players by goals then.

Haaland it's an excellent player, but in order to be the best in the world, you need more. He can be one day, but not today nor tomorrow.

Haaland it's an excellent player, but in order to be the best in the world, you need more. He can be one day, but not today nor tomorrow.

Sounds like you're the type of person too narrow minded to understand what a number 9 is there to do, and what else Haaland brings to a team. If he keeps scoring at this rate and breaks the PL record he's clearly among the best players in the world - suggesting otherwise is laughable.

Do you want him to be dropping into centre midfield and trying to link up play instead of KDB/Bernardo or something? Because that would obviously be neglecting his best attributes.

Well, you don't need to be the "best in the world" to win the Ballon dor. CRonaldo was a tap in merchant in his last 3 seasons at Real Madrid and was still getting votes.

No need for it to be a dream, it's just business and Madrid and Barcelona are massive.

What evidence is that? It is a myth. If we had any chance to sign him, I am sure Ole would sign him, release clause or not. After all, if he played for us for 2 years, it might prevent him from joining City in the future, which would be worth trying by itself (just for not letting City get another great player).

But there was zero probability he will ever join us. He was always a City fan, since he was a little kid. He was born while his dad was a City player. He grew up wearing City kits. He and his agent used the talks with us to get a better deal elsewhere. He never had any intention to join us.

What's his third goal's xG? Gotta be 0.2-0.3 ? That's something you would see from prime Adriano

You're overrating Mbappe. Mbappe doesn't control games, only very few players in the world can control games. Messi and Neymar are the ones off the top of my head who can do that, the latter is also a superior player compared to Mbappe. Since you're a PSG fan, I assume that you know that is Neymar who has been pulling all the strings for the attack since he arrived. Neymar has a lot of flashy moments, but what people might not realize is that he has silently become the best playmaker in the world. His passing and vision have become legendary.

Neymar, and of course Messi, possess the football IQ to be able to control games, Mbappe doesn't have that. Mbappe relies on his speed, that is why he thrived under Poch hoofball. Galtier is now introducing a more possessive based style of football, this is why Neymar and Messi are thriving and will continue to thrive. They play best when the ball is at their feet, with Mbappe it's the opposite. Don't make a mistake about it, Mbappe is quite poor technically, especially compared to some of the best ever. Remember when United beat PSG 3-1 in the CL 2019? That Mbappe performance was hilariously bad, constantly tripping over his own feet, constantly misplacing passes, and dribbling the ball out of play.
Here's why I disagree about the notion of Neymar as the best playmaker in the world. This season, right now, 3-4 games in, I agree, but his overall career at PSG? No. He doesn't control the games, he creates key passes sure, but he also does a lot of wasting time on the ball and losing it trying to dribble too much. Whether it's him, or Galtier this season, he seems to have cut a lot of the fat from his game, but part of the reason why I wouldn't put him on the same level as a Messi for playmaking abilities so far is that he's very wasteful at times. He overcomplicated things, he wasn't direct enough, he got himself into physical altercation because the flashy was more important than the substance too many times. Mbappe is far from those two in terms of playmaking, but he's lightyears ahead in comparison to Haaland, which is the comparison I was making. He's had many games where he'll lead the team in key passes and chances created, but why do I bother saying that since you seem to know very little about him to begin with.

Because people who tell me the reason Mbappe is successful is because of his speed and that he isn't technical tells me someone who doesn't watch him, but good on you to use one game 3 years ago to substantiate your claim, too bad you missed the others ones he happened to play so far in his career that kind of ridicule that notion.

Comparison to Mbappe? The Frenchman is a self-centered and toxic clown. Haaland has a lot of self confidence but at least he's a team player and not a prima donna. Much rather see him be successful .

We'll probably do the same with Fofana, if he continues his development I've no doubt he can make the step up.

Roy Kean broke his father's leg.
Ole made calls and Eeland still refused to join. Dude just hate United. W e never had a chance to sign him.

Because people who tell me the reason Mbappe is successful is because of his speed and that he isn't technical tells me someone who doesn't watch him
I am not surprised if most people don't see his game. At most probably just the highlight in CL.

You can’t end up in a goal scoring position without movement, though. Maybe you can literally stand still at a corner but otherwise there’s always movement to get there. They found him because he was in a position to be found.

For the first goal he actually feinted 3 ways to shake off his marker for the first phase, and then ran across the front of his man on the second phase to score. If he stood still he wouldn’t have gotten to the ball ahead of the defender.

These are all subtle movements but then if they weren’t subtle they wouldn’t work, because the defenders would recognise them quicker than we would. It’s really hard to tell whether most #9s would even get across his man for that first goal. His acceleration is so quick and these things happen in such a short space of time that it’s easy to just denigrate it as easy poaching.

At the end of the day he is so much better at it than anyone in the world that you have to accept on balance that he’s probably doing something a bit special. They’re the basics of poaching but he is just much more effective at it. Denigrating individual poached goals without acknowledging the pattern doesn’t really make sense.

You're call the first phase a failed cross that got headed backwards? It was still the attacking phase.

No, he didn't run across the defender, he was already ball side of him. It was a few straight steps and a super cross. Very little movement needed.

The second goal you don't bother arguing.

I'm not denigrating poached goals, if anything, I'm pointing out sometimes it needs very little from the CF. Yet, a section on the united fan base seem to think it's selfish if a united CF wanted to score.

Yeah, that’s for sure. Müller wasn’t very easy on the eye though, so there’s a precedent. And Cristiano did change the perception of individual statistics and its importance for a Ballon d’Or nominee.

Muller is so underrated.

I still remember the experts on twitter telling us he would not make an impact in PL and that Harry Kane was the best choice for any top 4.

Haaland is the best CF in the world as simple as that, City now can win the treble easily, thats how important and how good Haaland is.

Harry Kane is well suited for Spurs.

Just saw his high boot on Andersen’s head yesterday. Very lucky not to get sent off. The exact kind of thing Nani was sent off for against Madrid and not dissimilar to Mane vs City a few years ago.

Last edited:
I'm puzzled by the number of posters who seem to be taking some strange, smug satisfaction that a handful of total outlier pundits who predicted the world's most coveted and deadly striker wouldn't succeed in the Prem are being proven wrong.
Take that attention-seeking idiot pundits, Haaland is going to usher in a new era of City dominance...whoopee doo.