Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

Club affiliations are overrated when people talk about footballer's career choices. City weren't in for him at that point, it was between us and Dortmund and we had certainly been able to offer more money than them, but strategic thinking and Raiola made sure that he went to Germany. We obviously didn't have any chance of signing him this summer in a direct competition with City and Pep.

Also, I hope that you're not referring to "Keane ending his father's career" myth when you talk about his "terrible history" with us.

I am referring to what his father heard from our fans in the games he played against us and how he feels about it. You don't even need to think too much about Keane injuring Haaland (which was bad!), just the Haaland injuring Keane incident is enough. Few City players faced more hate from United fans in the PL era.

If you think that Haaland (father) does not dislike Keane and United, you are mistaken. And the son and the father have a good relationship. Of course, both are smart enough, they will never say anything damaging in public. Why should they? Haaland can become the best player in the world, they will make a lot of money selling advertisements, public relations are very important, there is zero advantage for them recalling these old stories. But read the following, try to read between the lines, and let me know what you think.

https://www.givemesport.com/8802323...keane-horror-tackle-during-man-utd-v-man-city

There was always *zero* possibility that Haaland would prefer United to City. Especially this United to this City.

Edit:

HAALAND: I’VE BEEN A CITY FAN MY WHOLE LIFE!

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/erling-haaland-manchester-city-fan-interview-63790703

Last edited:
Goes to show how overrated the whole league difference argument is, it doesn’t matter when you’re a special player, especially on the best team.

Hi two other goals were tap ins; it's amazing what a central striker can do when the just stand there.

Hi two other goals were tap ins; it's amazing what a central striker can do when the just stand there.
The phrase "tap in" has become so meaningless now, what you actually mean is 'close range goal' but that header doesn't really fit the definition of a tap in at all.

Someone should tell Rashford that he can stand there and score 40 a season.
It’s called good movement and a strikers instinct, some have it remember RVN

I still prefer Mbappe in terms of talent but Haaland is proving himself now in the best league in the world whilst Mbappe wastes another few years in Farmville. Could well be the missing piece City needed for a CL also.

Hopefully he keeps it up and stays injury free for when he comes to Real Madrid. :D

Someone should tell Rashford that he can stand there and score 40 a season.
It’s called good movement and a strikers instinct, some have it remember RVN

where did I say there wasnt movement. There was very little in both, it relied more on others finding him.

Who else?
If we're only comparing him with forwards over this season, I'd take Benzema and Mbappe over him without a second thought. I don't know if I take Lewa over him this season though. If we're talking overall best player, the list gets a bit bigger, but he's in the top 10 of best offensive players right now and for the foreseeable future.

If we're only comparing him with forwards over this season, I'd take Benzema and Mbappe over him without a second thought. I don't know if I take Lewa over him this season though. If we're talking overall best player, the list gets a bit bigger, but he's in the top 10 of best offensive players right now and for the foreseeable future.
I would take Haaland over any other forward in the world honestly. The only player for whom I had no shadow of a doubt he would stroll into the PL.

Making me eat my words.

He's been superb, although should have seen red perhaps.

I would take Haaland over any other forward in the world honestly. The only player for whom I had no shadow of a doubt he would stroll into the PL.
He doesn't control the game like a Benzema or Mbappe can. If he doesn't get the service, he hardly is capable of breaking down the defense on his own. A goal like Mbappe's had against Real Madrid, I won't see Haaland ever being able to score, for example. But he has his own advantages, he can get CBs bouncing off him, he has a huge physical advantage over Mbappe for sure, and even Benzema because of his speed, but those two have more to their toolkit than he does to impact the game in multiple ways IMO. As far as him strolling into the PL, who is honestly surprised? People massively overrate the difficulty of the PL, elite players will make a mockery of any league, especially if they're in the best team of said league.

Dortmund's CEO said that as proof he is a great CEO doing a fantastic job. It means nothing.

There was *zero* probability that the son of Haaland would join United instead of City. Why would he? His dad had a terrible history with United. He himself has been a fan of City since he was a kid. And we cannot offer him more money or more trophies.
We had ole then who had coached him at molde.

Also the plan would have probably been to use us as a stepping stone to either of Spanish giants or some other team.

Haaland being your first choice has to be a no brainer for me. Whether he’s better than Benzema or Lewandowski yet may be up for debate, but factor in age and he would have to be the option.

Certainly not yet but it's not hard to imagine him winning a few Ballon d'Ors in a couple of years.
There's just something so stiff and uninspiring about his play style that makes it hard imagining him as a ballon d'or winner.

Just compare him with the silkiness of the great strikers of the past(van Basten, l.ronaldo, romario etc etc)or Benzema and to a degree Lewandowski as of now.

He could win the ballon d'or now, why does he have to wait years to do it?

He can score a ridiculous amount of goals and propel City to numerous trophies this year. If he does that, what will be the argument against him? It's an extremely realistic possibility in this team under this manager.

He doesn't control the game like a Benzema or Mbappe can. If he doesn't get the service, he hardly is capable of breaking down the defense on his own. A goal like Mbappe's had against Real Madrid, I won't see Haaland ever being able to score, for example. But he has his own advantages, he can get CBs bouncing off him, he has a huge physical advantage over Mbappe for sure, and even Benzema because of his speed, but those two have more to their toolkit than he does to impact the game in multiple ways IMO. As far as him strolling into the PL, who is honestly surprised? People massively overrate the difficulty of the PL, elite players will make a mockery of any league, especially if they're in the best team of said league.
He obviously wont dribble past 3 men like Mbappe, but his physicallity coupled with the fact he seems to be some sort of imperious robot just make him seem almost inhuman. Mbappe is amazing, but Haaland is 22 and has done it in 3 leagues and destroys the CL everytime he's in it. While the premier league might sometimes be overrated, Id like to see Mbappe outside of a one horse race.

Haaland needs service, but providing him with it is rather easy since defenders just bounce of him like toddlers. And I must admit, I have a soft spot for the old fashioned striker who just scores fecjloads of goals.

He can score a ridiculous amount of goals and propel City to numerous trophies this year. If he does that, what will be the argument against him? It's an extremely realistic possibility in this team under this manager.

No World Cup is a massive handicap. I think he wins Ballon d'Or somewhere down the line (assuming he stays fit) but it will have to be in a non-tournament year.

If he gets 50 goals this season and city win the champions league and Premier league he will probably deserve it... however it will probably go to somebody who plays well at the world cup as that always seems to carry a lot of weight

Really cannot stand him. Has one of the most punchable faces in the history of sport, let alone football. That’s my valuable contribution to this thread. You’re welcome.

In many ways, he is the perfect striker for City. Almost like a robotic prototype. No real emotion or excitement watching him play, just an extremely effective machine.

He's going to score a ridiculous amount of goals. He could have had 2 more as well if Foden squared for the tap in twice.

Man city are going to be a nightmare to play against. You press and play a high line, they'll beat that initial press, get it to De Bruyne and feed balls in behind. You camp deep, they now have a massive target man with great movement, like he showed with his header today.

The classic Pep team exit in the champions league is a two leg tie where they create a rake of half chances and a couple of big chances, don't take them, but are wide open on the counter and get picked off.

With him as the striker, it'll be a lot different. He's scored 3 goals already by being able to find space in a crowded box and sniff out chances, so he's well able to score a scrappy goal when the team needs it. They were lumping it into the box a good bit more today than I've seen them do before. They are still trying to get used to him.

Lots of players are fairly strong, but unlike a Lukaku, he can absolutely monster a centre back and use his strength as a massive part of his game, like Drogba used to. His assist to Gundogan and his third goal today were good examples of his using strength to create opportunities.

As depressing as it is, he's a game changer for City I think, as he'll turn all that midfield control and pressure around the box into goals in games where space is at a premium, like CL knockout.

It's interesting that two of the best managers in the world identified a massive no.9 as a player to spend a fortune on. It makes sense as teams have become so good and so regimented in the low block now. As a top 6 side going to Wolves or Palace you might get to 75 mins with 70+% possession and little to show for it. A big striker can beat these low blocks better than most, so that seems to be a route both Klopp and Pep have identified.

Reactions: Cheimoon
There's just something so stiff and uninspiring about his play style that makes it hard imagining him as a ballon d'or winner.

Just compare him with the silkiness of the great strikers of the past(van Basten, l.ronaldo, romario etc etc)or Benzema and to a degree Lewandowski as of now.
Yeah, that’s for sure. Müller wasn’t very easy on the eye though, so there’s a precedent. And Cristiano did change the perception of individual statistics and its importance for a Ballon d’Or nominee.

Jorginho came close and he's probably the most uninspiring 'top' player in the world.

Yeah, that’s for sure. Müller wasn’t very easy on the eye though, so there’s a precedent. And Cristiano did change the perception of individual statistics and its importance for a Ballon d’Or nominee.
While I find Muller to be much more elegant your bang on about the important if statistics in determining the end result.

Still if it were between him and Mbappe with similar stats for both I'd imagine it going for the Frenchman just for his technical mastery.

Jorginho came close and he's probably the most uninspiring 'top' player in the world.
That was a farce to be fair but he's a midfielder and a skilled one so definitely more silky than erling.

He obviously wont dribble past 3 men like Mbappe, but his physicallity coupled with the fact he seems to be some sort of imperious robot just make him seem almost inhuman. Mbappe is amazing, but Haaland is 22 and has done it in 3 leagues and destroys the CL everytime he's in it. While the premier league might sometimes be overrated, Id like to see Mbappe outside of a one horse race.

Haaland needs service, but providing him with it is rather easy since defenders just bounce of him like toddlers. And I must admit, I have a soft spot for the old fashioned striker who just scores fecjloads of goals.

The thing is players like Mbappe or Haaland will only go to the elite teams that can afford them. If Mbappe went elsewhere, it would have been to Madrid this season, and he'd have no issues wrecking that league as well. Same with the PL since only Liverpool or Manchester City would have been realistic.

People might want to see it, but they'd be silly to doubt it. I could see those two fighting it out sometime down the line in Spain, they're only a year or so apart in age, it would certainly help get those ratings back.

The Haaland vs Mbappe 'rivalry' reminds me a lot of Henry vs Van Nistelrooy back in the day. They were a lot more direct rivals but Henry put up good numbers (from memory) with real class and often spectacular fashion. Ruud was just incredibly efficient, lethal striker you could count on but didn't have many bells and whistles out side of that.

He won't get mardy like mbappe and walk off in a passage of attacking play though.

While I find Muller to be much more elegant your bang on about the important if statistics in determining the end result.

Still if it were between him and Mbappe with similar stats for both I'd imagine it going for the Frenchman just for his technical mastery.

I don't know where you get that from. He's actually quite loose with his touch and relies on his extreme pace to bail him out of it. His technical ability i.e close control is a little underdeveloped because he has no need for it in France, it only ever gets shown up in Europe.

The Haaland vs Mbappe 'rivalry' reminds me a lot of Henry vs Van Nistelrooy back in the day.

There was no Comparison in my opinion Henry was levels ahead of Ruud. Henry was one of the top 3 players in the world in that era along with Ronaldiniho & Zidane.

Ruud was a leather Poacher though. He was always in the right place in the 18 yard box to get them tap ins. Would have taken him over Kanu or Wiltord any day.

Unbelievable footballer, just a machine

League is over while Pep and him are around
Agree. Absolute beast.

Should of cost City over £120M already on 6 goals after 4 games and only 22 years old. We got another 10 years of this guy Torturing opponents.