Nfl 2009-2010

He may be the most valuable player on his team but is he the best player in the NFL by as much of a landslide as the MVP voting indicates? He is a great QB but has always been a bit overrated by the media IMO. He is the Stevie G of NFL.

Bloody hell. Rodgers is looking like the real deal, that's for sure.

I would like to see how he does in a physical Steeler or Raven style playoff game.

Jinxed him, but you can see where the Packers have alot of faith in this kid.

...He is the Stevie G of NFL.

No that would be Dan Marino :)

:lol:

I'm going out on a big limb for next week...

Cardinals > Saints
Cowboys > Vikings
Chargers > Jets
Ravens > Colts

I JUST realised my sleeper Super Bowl pick was Ravens - Cowboys... so since my actual super bowl pick died in week 17, I will ride on this one

He may be the most valuable player on his team but is he the best player in the NFL by as much of a landslide as the MVP voting indicates? He is a great QB but has always been a bit overrated by the media IMO. He is the Stevie G of NFL.

Well if 50 people vote and all 40 think he's only slightly better than the next best player, then the result will be 40-10, but it doesn't mean he's the best by a mile. It just means that most people think he's the best.

I suppose if you gave each voter 10 votes and let them divide up the ten accordingly you'd see the results a lot closer. Maybe 5 for Manning, 4 for Brees, and one for Rivers or something like that and the overall result would be much closer. But the voting system is structured to determine a winner only and probably shouldn't be used as an indication of how far ahead or how much better a player is, although inevitably the media will try to spin it that way.

Jinxed him, but you can see where the Packers have alot of faith in this kid.

:lol:

I'm going out on a big limb for next week...

Cardinals > Saints
Cowboys > Vikings
Chargers > Jets
Ravens > Colts

I JUST realised my sleeper Super Bowl pick was Ravens - Cowboys... so since my actual super bowl pick died in week 17, I will ride on this one

Cardinals over the Saints come on, they'll put up 100 v the Cardinals

Loved the game last night, was amazing to watch. And also, how is Manning overrated?

if you like strong offense then the Green Bay fudge Packers/Cards game was your cup of tea. if you like strong defensive play then you'd be sorely disappointed (though the defensive team did win the game for the Cards).

tbh that game rescued imo the weekends games as the other 3 games didn't have enough drama for the neutral.

roll on next week where there are some great looking matchups. all we need now is more great games.

Cardinals over the Saints come on, they'll put up 100 v the Cardinals

But that Green Bay D was supposed to be good remember, with pretty much the best secondary in football against a passing team... Who knows now that Arizona but 51 on that team.

I think this is the year of the upset and the first round has cleared that

Loved the game last night, was amazing to watch. And also, how is Manning overrated?

Because he has only won 1 Super Bowl

I dont think he is overrated at all, he might go down as the best QB ever. He lives a bit in Brady's shadow because Brady has 3 SBs and broke a lot of Manning's records in 2007. But yeah I dont think he is overrated at all. That said I would take Elway anyday :drool:

Because he has only won 1 Super Bowl

I dont think he is overrated at all, he might go down as the best QB ever. He lives a bit in Brady's shadow because Brady has 3 SBs and broke a lot of Manning's records in 2007. But yeah I dont think he is overrated at all. That said I would take Elway anyday :drool:

Marino to Young my friend.

Yet Peyton has a ring, or maybe 2 eventually.

Who would you choose as teh best QB ever AS? If you dont chose Elway I smack you

Who would you choose as teh best QB ever AS? If you dont chose Elway I smack you

Never that twat, Chris Chandler > John Elway :lol:

It's hard because, much like picking the best pitcher ever, best goalie ever, best evers change with time and the sports development.

I actually did a top 20 list last year ill refer to because it hasnt changed:

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Tom Brady
4. John Elway
5. Dan Marino
6. Terry Bradshaw
7. Warren Moon
8. Troy Aikman
9. Steve Young
10. Brett Favre
11. Peyton Manning
12. Dan Fouts
13. Jim Kelly
14. Roger Staubach
15. Ben Roethlisberger
16. Fran Tarkenton
17. Dave Krieg
18. Boomer Esiason
19. Kurt Warner
20. Drew Beldsoe

I may be more bias than not in terms of the more modern game, but that's how i've seen it... I know, titles do come into play, and I know Dan Marino never won a title, etc... I don't really remember what kind of formula I came up with but there it is.

You are a Falcons fan, though, what happened in that Broncs Falcons superbowl??? :)

That said I think you vastly underrated Elway, of course, but also Favre and Manning. The only QB who I would allow over Elway is Montana. He was class. Was probably at the best game all time when they squared off. Was a total thriller. I think it ended up 34-31 Chiefs, cried my fecking eyes out Elway led the Broncs to a TD with about 2 minutes left ran it in and smashed the balll, and then Montana drove the Chiefs down the field and scored. Probably the best game I have ever been at, might be the best regular season game ever too. It was class

Who else deserves it?

Chris Johnson? Possibly.

Drew Brees? Yeah probably, what more does he have to do ffs?

crazy game last night. my Packers lost a thriller. a massive defensive failure by the Packers and an incredible game by warner. lots of what-ifs in that game. the Pack improved night-and-day from last year. a little more is needed on the defensive side and o-line help on the offensive side. can't wait for next season.

crazy game last night. my Packers lost a thriller. a massive defensive failure by the Packers and an incredible game by warner. lots of what-ifs in that game. the Pack improved night-and-day from last year. a little more is needed on the defensive side and o-line help on the offensive side. can't wait for next season.

The O-line will be much different next year I'm sure. Both Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton will be Free Agents in the off-Season and it's unlikely that they'll be re-signed.

On Defense it's obvious that things need to be adressed as well. Having the second best defense (in numbers) during the regular season doesn't help when you can't stop the elite quarterbacks. Bigby's injury which sidelined him for yesterday was no excuse because it has happened all season against Favre, Roethlisberger et al.

Still, that was a freak game yesterday and I just enjoyed it. Btw, where was the Pass interference call when Fitz blatently flattened Woodson before making that one handed TD catch?

Aikman, Moon, Young, Bradshaw and Elway above Staubach, the man many all-time greats consider one of the top three or four QBs ever? Staubach is easily top 5 all-time. FFS, you have him below Jim Kelly! Madness.

The Drew has cracked your top 20 Searl!? One of the best games in NFL history is a season opener against Miami when he was a few years into the league. I have watched the game in full pretty recently and he and Marino had ridiculous numbers. He ultimately did not fulfil the promise he had when he came into the league and will always be remembered for being replaced by some skinny Michigan QB after the Mo Lewis hit and then Romo in Dallas. However, he still had a solid career and played a part in the Patriots developing as a franchise, while leading them to the Superbowl and coming in for an injured Brady in the 2001 AFC championship game.

Drew, what did you think of the boos from the fans? “Boos? They were screaming Drew…”

What do you guys think of Steve Young by the way, I got to see a decent chunk of his career but don’t really know what to make of him. There has also been some debate on how good he actually was in NFL circles over the years. Right place, right time? Or would he still have managed to turn it round at Tampa without sitting behind Montana?

You are a Falcons fan, though, what happened in that Broncs Falcons superbowl??? :)

Do piss off :lol: ... I was so proud of that team, I was still young, one of my earlier Falcons memories... I remember the newspaper had a cutout of "How to do the dirty bird" :lol:... I wish Vick brought us back, but now all we can hope is Matt Ryan ends up being elite and brings us closer to glory.

We missed alot of chances in that game... and jesus I miss Jessie Tuggle, Keith Brooking had nothing on him.

Aikman, Moon, Young, Bradshaw and Elway above Staubach, the man many all-time greats consider one of the top three or four QBs ever? Staubach is easily top 5 all-time. FFS, you have him below Jim Kelly! Madness.

Oh humbug, I said I didn't know the formula but there was one. Like I mentioned, I was more bias towards the modern game with alot of picks, and titles were important.

The Drew has cracked your top 20 Searl!? One of the best games in NFL history is a season opener against Miami when he was a few years into the league. I have watched the game in full pretty recently and he and Marino had ridiculous numbers. He ultimately did not fulfil the promise he had when he came into the league and will always be remembered for being replaced by some skinny Michigan QB after the Mo Lewis hit and then Romo in Dallas. However, he still had a solid career and played a part in the Patriots developing as a franchise, while leading them to the Superbowl and coming in for an injured Brady in the 2001 AFC championship game.

Drew, what did you think of the boos from the fans? “Boos? They were screaming Drew…”

Lived Drew Bledsoe, and regardless of how his career turned out, his numbers spoke for themselves.

The O-line will be much different next year I'm sure. Both Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton will be Free Agents in the off-Season and it's unlikely that they'll be re-signed.

they can't let it get weaker and seeing they're way under the cap now, and possibly facing an uncapped year next season, i can't imagine them not being signed. we'll see.

What do you guys think of Steve Young by the way, I got to see a decent chunk of his career but don’t really know what to make of him. There has also been some debate on how good he actually was in NFL circles over the years. Right place, right time? Or would he still have managed to turn it round at Tampa without sitting behind Montana?

Steve Young was my guy. I felt a certain kinship with him, being the "new kid" when I moved to California at the same time he did. Young was one of the first mobile QBs, who made scrambling and running a big part of his game. It was always exciting to watch him.

Having Young as a backup was an embarrassment of riches, but at the time, the 49ers basically had a Roman-like owner AND a Fergie-like manager in Debartolo and Walsh. It's not like now, where you can't pay players for life secretly. Stupid "rules."

they can't let it get weaker and seeing they're way under the cap now, and possibly facing an uncapped year next season, i can't imagine them not being signed. we'll see.

Even in an uncapped season, can you justify giving new contracts to two players above 32 years old?

It's questionable, imo.

He would never have survived let alone succeeded had he remained in Tampa in the 80s/90s. They were horribly managed, horribly coached and horribly assembled. It was a death knell to be drafted by the Bucs in those days. They drafted Bo Jackson and he politely told them to get fecked. Then they traded Young and nearly ruined Vinny's career by drafting him first overall.

Young was a gifted QB although I must say the West Coast offense fit his lack of arm strength perfectly. He was a bit smug though and was often clashing with management and personnel while backing up Montana (apparently thinking he was better). It took him a while to get the monkey off his back (and millions of dollars spent on free agents by management).

Talent wise he was better than Montana. But he had nothing on Montana in the leadership department and he wasn't a comeback king either, granted SF was often winning in the fourth quarter during the 90s. There's only two QBs from the 90s I'd take over him though: Aikman and Elway. Spare me the "No Favre?" comments. I'd take Young over him.

It's hard because, much like picking the best pitcher ever, best goalie ever, best evers change with time and the sports development.

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Tom Brady
4. John Elway
5. Dan Marino
6. Terry Bradshaw
7. Warren Moon
8. Troy Aikman
9. Steve Young
10. Brett Favre
11. Peyton Manning
12. Dan Fouts
13. Jim Kelly
14. Roger Staubach
15. Ben Roethlisberger
16. Fran Tarkenton
17. Dave Krieg
18. Boomer Esiason
19. Kurt Warner
20. Drew Beldsoe

I may be more bias than not in terms of the more modern game, but that's how i've seen it... I know, titles do come into play, and I know Dan Marino never won a title, etc... I don't really remember what kind of formula I came up with but there it is.

If you're going by Championships won then Bart Starr would be at the top, even though he only passed for 24,000 yards, he led his team to seven championships including the first two SuperBowls. If you're going by stats, then obviously Farve and Marino would be near the top. For me its a combination of stats, longevity, success, all around play, and leadership. If you combine all of those components then John Elway would have to be the best Quarterback in NFL history. He led his team to five Superbowls - winning two of them, was the best come from behind quarterback ever, had a cannon of an arm, and unlike many on the list, had an excellent scrambling ability to complement his passing. Farve would be second on the list mainly due to his longevity, superior stats, and ability rake leaves in his back yard - receive a phone call and promptly lead the Vikings into the playoffs.

As for best Running Backs ever..... my top five using similar criteria would be ....

1. Smith
2. Payton
3. Sanders
4. Brown
5. Dickerson

In actuality, Bo Jackson was the greatest running back ever, but his injury shortened career combined with two sport career prevented him from reaching that status. He was the most gifted athlete in the history of the NFL.

OJ has to be up there too. I'd drop Dickerson who was more concerned about getting paid than breaking records.

Terrell Davis could have been up there by now. Shame he had that injury. Bit like the Brazilian Ronaldo in a way. What could have been.

OJ has to be up there too. I'd drop Dickerson who was more concerned about getting paid than breaking records.

Terrell Davis could have been up there by now. Shame he had that injury. Bit like the Brazilian Ronaldo in a way. What could have been.

Was heart broken about Davis, could have been one of the best ever. Pretty sure he has the best yards per game in playoff history and most games in a row with a TD. He'd have the season record for yards had Denver played him more in 1998.

FFS, did I just read that Peyton Manning is overrated? He single-handedly led his team to the best record in the league. Without him, they're fighting for 1st pick in the draft, not the Super Bowl.

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Tom Brady
4. John Elway
5. Dan Marino
6. Terry Bradshaw
7. Warren Moon
8. Troy Aikman
9. Steve Young
10. Brett Favre
11. Peyton Manning
12. Dan Fouts
13. Jim Kelly
14. Roger Staubach
15. Ben Roethlisberger
16. Fran Tarkenton
17. Dave Krieg
18. Boomer Esiason
19. Kurt Warner
20. Drew Beldsoe

Don't even know where to start with that. I'll just make a couple of quick statements...

Roethlisberger.. 15th best QB ever.. really?
Brady is the third best quarterback ever... how?
The fact that Manning isn't in at least the top 5 is a travesty.
The fact that you suggest Aikman is a better QB than Peyton Manning makes me die a little inside.

Can't stand the idea of basing how good a QB is on his rings. It's silly. And that holds true for any position of any sport.

Oh hush, all of them are legends in their own right, this list was done over a year ago, yes i cant be arsed to change it but I think it holds true.

My best running backs?:

1. Walter Payton
2. Jim Brown
3. Emmitt Smith
4. Barry Sanders
5. Earl Campbell
6. Tony Dorsett
7. OJ Simpson
8. Eric Dickerson
9. Marcus Allen
10. Marshall Faulk

I didn't realise how many active players, like LT, Edge, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor, were so close to this list... in the event of LT, all he needs is to find himself for a season or 2 and he could easily get on this list.

The future is bright for running backs, it seems like a REAL revival is on the way, that is, if they stay healthy...

Oh hush, all of them are legends in their own right, this list was done over a year ago, yes i cant be arsed to change it but I think it holds true.

My best running backs?:

1. Walter Payton
2. Jim Brown
3. Emmitt Smith
4. Barry Sanders
5. Earl Campbell
6. Tony Dorsett
7. OJ Simpson
8. Eric Dickerson
9. Marcus Allen
10. Marshall Faulk

I didn't realise how many active players, like LT, Edge, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor, were so close to this list... in the event of LT, all he needs is to find himself for a season or 2 and he could easily get on this list.

The future is bright for running backs, it seems like a REAL revival is on the way, that is, if they stay healthy...

You truly and honestly believe that Tom Brady is the third best quarterback that ever lived? What's your reasoning? I'm really quite curious. And you also really believe that Troy Aikman was a better QB than Peyton Manning despite having only 5 3000 yard seasons in his career (you know.. compared to Peyton's 10 4000 yard seasons) and a TD to INT ratio of 165-141? I challenge you to put Peyton on those teams and think about how successful he would have been put in such situations. And you know he would have been just as successful - if not more. And that is why you can not judge players on team success exclusively.

I can assure you the way the list was made was a) Upon not much "research", and b) Tom Brady as an individual, between the regular season, playoffs, titles and triumphs, in such a short span of time is just unreal... Over-rated by me maybe, but like I said the list was off the top of the head A YEAR AGO.

As for Big Ben, 2 titles for 2 teams that not many expected to win titles, as well as the fact he's done it in such a short span of time, merits mention.

Much like Terry Bradshaw in a short span, never was the best QB but he had post-season glory because of him, not in spite.