Neymar vs Ronaldinho: Who was the better player?

Who was the better player

• Total voters
It is right. Mbappe winning those things means nothing, he is French and from Paris no less. If you watched the games when they played together, Neymar ran the entire attack.
It doesn’t mean nothing, might as well say every award means nothing, you can’t give the best player award to someone who plays 15 games. He played 20, 17, 15, 18, 22, 20 games. 112 games in 6 years.

Durability ultimately matters, and is probably Ronaldo’s greatest asset for example, do you think if Neymar plays 60-70 games a year every year for the right teams, does he win the Ballon d’Or? Might win 3 or 4, but he didn’t, so it is what it is.

It doesn’t mean nothing, might as well say every award means nothing, you can’t give the best player award to someone who plays 15 games. He played 20, 17, 15, 18, 22, 20 games. 112 games in 6 years.

Durability ultimately matters, and is probably Ronaldo’s greatest asset for example, do you think if Neymar plays 60-70 games a year every year for the right teams, does he win the Ballon d’Or? Might win 3 or 4, but he didn’t, so it is what it is.
This is the problematic break in logic when it comes to this guy. It’s down to referees not protecting him that he missed so many games, not just being less durable. I made the point in a previous post that he got worse treatment than others and not only that, it was allowed to continue at a rate that basically ruined him.

It’s not bad luck. It is not being susceptible to injury from equivocal fouls. It is being systematically targeted and it being permitted where for others it was not. Keep cracking an egg shell and it will eventually break.

Stop drawing equivalence where there is none - this guy got booted out of more games than should have ever been permitted.

:lol:

Oh yeah, it had nothing at all to do with the draw like.

R16: Dortmund
Quarter Finals: Atalanta
Semi Final: Leipzig

The quarters and Semi were one legged affairs too due to Covid AND he scored in neither.

But sure, twas all down to him.
So now context matters to you when you want to use it against Neymar.

Even PSG fans that hate Neymar don't dispute the fact that he was clearly their best player that season and in that CL run. Every other team also played in the same conditions, so i don't know what bringing up COVID changes.
As for the draw, well they lost to a weaker Dortmund last season without Neymar.

This is the problematic break in logic when it comes to this guy. It’s down to referees not protecting him that he missed so many games, not just being less durable. I made the point in a previous post that he got worse treatment than others and not only that, it was allowed to continue at a rate that basically ruined him.

It’s not bad luck. It is not being susceptible to injury from equivocal fouls. It is being systematically targeted and it being permitted where for others it was not. Keep cracking an egg shell and it will eventually break.

Stop drawing equivalence where there is none - this guy got booted out of more games than should have ever been permitted.

I agree he's got a hard time, but also Neymar has a bit of taunting the opposition to hack him down though in a way other players don't, which hasn't helped things either. Anyway, I spent about 5 or 6 pages defending Neymar and now I'm on the other side of the debate somehow because of the Mbappé thing. I've never heard of someone winning a league's player of the year 5 times in a short space of time, a considerable record and then supposedly be an inferior player to another one in a team, don't think there's an equivalent.

I agree he's got a hard time, but also Neymar has a bit of taunting the opposition to hack him down though in a way other players don't, which hasn't helped things either. Anyway, I spent about 5 or 6 pages defending Neymar and now I'm on the other side of the debate somehow because of the Mbappé thing. I've never heard of someone winning a league's player of the year 5 times in a short space of time, a considerable record and then supposedly be an inferior player to another one in a team, don't think there's an equivalent.
He's French. It's not that hard to understand if you actually watched them playing together. I'd liken it to the Haaland - DeBruyne dynamic, except it's a DeBruyne that is as creative but scores a lot more goals and a Haaland that scores a little bit less.

JUST TO BE CLEAR, I'm aware that there are still a lot of differences between the City pair and the PSG pair, but I'm talking about the general dynamic, the creator and the scorer.

Ronaldinho every day... Neymar had lots of injury issues get in the way for him, but he also wasted too much time for his legacy in PSG, he played for Brazil during a shit period for them and he had too many injury issues. At Barca, he was terrific but also not Ronaldinho level or anywhere close to that, so yeah. Pretty easy. Ultimately Neymar for me is a player who didn't reach the legacy that he should've because of a mixture of injuries and career choices. Don't care how good of a player you become, if you aren't showing it at the top top level, then you won't get the acclaim and rightfully so.

Until the 2021-2022 season, majority of people who watched PSG will attest to the fact that Neymar was their main man.

If he didn't get injured, he would have been sweeping those awards.

Now, availability is an ability too, but there's no doubt when both featured who the superior player was.

Until the 2021-2022 season, majority of people who watched PSG will attest to the fact that Neymar was their main man.

If he didn't get injured, he would have been sweeping those awards.

Now, availability is an ability too, but there's no doubt when both featured who the superior player was.
Yep. Never broke 2000 minutes in the league for them. The seasons he played the most were 17/18 - won POTS - then 21/22 and 22/23, and by then Mbappé was in fact better than him

Yep. Never broke 2000 minutes in the league for them. The seasons he played the most were 17/18 - won POTS - then 21/22 and 22/23, and by then Mbappé was in fact better than him
Yup, Mbappe surpassed him during the 21/22 season. He looked a level or 2 above Neymar and Messi during that season ironically.

I think Neymar during the 17/18 season before his injury was better than everyone besides Messi and I think it was somewhat close. People will say Ligue 1 tax, but even in the prior season in La Liga, it was pretty much the same level from Neymar at Barcelona. His goal-scoring dropped in the 16-17 season compared to 15-16/14-15, but he was an incredible attacking force.

Neymar was by far their best player in the first half of the 2022-2023 season, before his injury. Many were saying that he'd finally win the best player in the world award at that time.

Yup, Mbappe surpassed him during the 21/22 season. He looked a level or 2 above Neymar and Messi during that season ironically.

I think Neymar during the 17/18 season before his injury was better than everyone besides Messi and I think it was somewhat close. People will say Ligue 1 tax, but even in the prior season in La Liga, it was pretty much the same level from Neymar at Barcelona. His goal-scoring dropped in the 16-17 season compared to 15-16/14-15, but he was an incredible attacking force.
I'd rate Neymar as the best player in the world around 2017 and up until his injury in 2018. Messi was no longer the same force - although he rallied brilliantly in 2018/19 - and Neymar combined end product with his best-in-the-world 1v1 game. Obviously getting injured in the spring means he did not get the chance to coronate his crown and the end-of-season awards go elsewhere. It's a huge 'what if' in his career if he takes that form into the 2018 World Cup.

Ronaldinho

Neymar hasn't finished his career yet, so perhaps it's too early to say.

But Ronaldinho has more individual titles (ballon d'or, mvp la liga, mvp ucl etc) and coletives titles (world cup), so he's a more accomplished player.

The discussion would be about being better, not greater.

Yes, I can imagine that some people think that Neymar is better, since he's faster and has achieved statistics that can be compared. Ronaldinho was slower, but stronger, more resistant to tackles and probably had better through balls. But Neymar has played in weaker leagues and has never been as dominant as peak Ronaldinho. Neymar has never won MVP of a major tournament. The MVP of La Liga was Messi, Copa America MVP was Dani Alves etc.

I have yet to see Neymar perform brilliantly against a top opponent, like Ronaldinho did against Real Madrid at the Bernabéu in 2005 or England in 2002. I have seen Neymar perform brilliantly against weaker opponents. Perhaps the best Neymar was against Juventus in 2017/18, but it's not the same level as Ronaldinho's peak

I have yet to see Neymar perform brilliantly against a top opponent, like Ronaldinho did against Real Madrid at the Bernabéu in 2005 or England in 2002. I have seen Neymar perform brilliantly against weaker opponents. Perhaps the best Neymar was against Juventus in 2017/18, but it's not the same level as Ronaldinho's peak
I voted Ronaldinho as "better player" because some of the stuff he could do was unbelievable. His peak form was insane.

The above is a load of tosh though. Neymar was arguably the better team player at club level and leader/fulcrum for Brazil. At Barca he had a habit of showing up when the rest of MSN weren't at the races, and for Brazil... you just had to watch them with (3-0 to Spain in 2013) and without (1-7 to Germany 2014).

It seemed to be fairly unanimous at the time (by PSG fans and others who watched the French league) that Neymar was better and more important to the team than Mbappe for the first three of those years. It's just that due to injury he wasn't able to play as much.

I think Mbappe did truly overtake him for the last two seasons though.

I voted Ronaldinho as "better player" because some of the stuff he could do was unbelievable. His peak form was insane.

The above is a load of tosh though. Neymar was arguably the better team player at club level and leader/fulcrum for Brazil. At Barca he had a habit of showing up when the rest of MSN weren't at the races, and for Brazil... you just had to watch them with (3-0 to Spain in 2013) and without (1-7 to Germany 2014).

Yes, he played well, I praised his performance against Juventus. But not at the level Ronaldinho reached against Real Madrid or England. Ronaldinho received a standing ovation from the Real Madrid fans at the Bernabeu. That was mythical.

Last edited:
Ronaldinho obviously.
Glad the poll agrees, though Ronaldinho is extremely likeable and Neymar is the opposite, which influences the outcome

Ronaldinho every day... Neymar had lots of injury issues get in the way for him, but he also wasted too much time for his legacy in PSG, he played for Brazil during a shit period for them and he had too many injury issues. At Barca, he was terrific but also not Ronaldinho level or anywhere close to that, so yeah. Pretty easy. Ultimately Neymar for me is a player who didn't reach the legacy that he should've because of a mixture of injuries and career choices. Don't care how good of a player you become, if you aren't showing it at the top top level, then you won't get the acclaim and rightfully so.
If showing it at the CL or World Cup isn't top top level, then I don't know what is. Neymar was better for Brazil than Ronaldinho ever was, and he had a ridiculous level for Barcelona, toying with La Liga defenders like Ronaldinho did.

Yes, he played well, I praised his performance against Juventus. But not at the level Ronaldinho reached against Real Madrid or England. Ronaldinho received a standing ovation from the Real Madrid fans at the Bernabeu. That was mythical.
Absolutely is, but not exactly a great Real vintage, so not grounds for a "performing against a top opponent" comparison.

Even that game against England (top? on paper maybe, barely qualified), it largely boils down to a cheeky free kick and Seaman arguably being at fault (I disagree, mind). Neymar had terrible luck with injuries at the World Cup stage, I wouldn't hold that against him more than it already does by denying him such opportunities to leave a mark.

If showing it at the CL or World Cup isn't top top level, then I don't know what is. Neymar was better for Brazil than Ronaldinho ever was, and he had a ridiculous level for Barcelona, toying with La Liga defenders like Ronaldinho did.
I mean he wasn't even a top 5 most important players for that Barca team, didn't actually do much for Brazil in world cups (not his fault, injuries and they got beat by better European opposition every time) and generally didn't stand out like Ronaldinho did. He was a terrific player in his prime, but he also wasted most of his prime in PSG where nobody cares what he did and in the CL, he didn't have the big big showings. When he did make it to the final, they didn't through a piss easy draw and then lost the final anyway, so again, doesn't go down in history. For me he's a great player that didn't get his defining period or moment, so is an unfulfilled talent. I feel the same about Pogba even though he did have big success at international level. Just should've done more than he did.

I mean he wasn't even a top 5 most important players for that Barca team, didn't actually do much for Brazil in world cups (not his fault, injuries and they got beat by better European opposition every time) and generally didn't stand out like Ronaldinho did. He was a terrific player in his prime, but he also wasted most of his prime in PSG where nobody cares what he did and in the CL, he didn't have the big big showings. When he did make it to the final, they didn't through a piss easy draw and then lost the final anyway, so again, doesn't go down in history. For me he's a great player that didn't get his defining period or moment, so is an unfulfilled talent. I feel the same about Pogba even though he did have big success at international level. Just should've done more than he did.

He was top 5 for Barca I would argue all three of Suarez Neymar Messi were 3 of Barcas team at that time, the team relied heavily on its attack and transitions.

He was top 5 for Barca I would argue all three of Suarez Neymar Messi were 3 of Barcas team at that time, the team relied heavily on its attack and transitions.

Messi, Iniesta, Suarez, Busquests all much more important for that team for certain.

Take either Iniesta or Busquests away and they simply aren’t the same side.

Let’s not forget, in Neymar’s final season they finished second to Real on 90 points, yet they were such a well oiled machine that the following season they won the league with 93 points.

Well, he was. Suarez, Neymar, Messi and Busquets were the most important for Barca at the time, and Messi and Neymar were the attacking orchestrators with Suarez being an excellent fit, so I'd argue he was top 3 or even top 2 most important.
I don't think you'll find many Brazilians that would argue Ronaldinho has done more on an individual level than Neymar has. Ronaldinho was lucky to play with other greats, while Neymar has had to settle for one of the weakest Brazil squads ever, so if anything, it is Neymar that stood out for Brazil, not Ronaldinho.
I agree that he wasted his prime, but his decision to move to PSG is also a reason why people subconsciously (or consciously) underrate him. It is not like Ronaldinho played top level much more than Neymar, but no one is talking about that. He played one more season for Barca in which he barely played before moving to AC Milan and just was not the same player at all.

I agree that he wasted his prime, but his decision to move to PSG is also a reason why people subconsciously (or consciously) underrate him. It is not like Ronaldinho played top level much more than Neymar, but no one is talking about that. He played one more season for Barca in which he barely played before moving to AC Milan and just was not the same player at all.

Big difference is that Ronaldinho spent his absolute incredible prime aged 23-28 in a top and competitive league, showing the greatest version of himself to the World. Neymar spent his prime semi retired.
Absolutely astonishingly stupid money grabbing career ender.
He didn’t give enough fecks either after that, spent 6 seasons in France and only once played more than 20 league games.

Let’s be fair here too, no-one gives a feck about a league in which it’s the equivalent of the under 18’s side playing the under 15’s, it’s a league in which Memphis Depay played for one of the under 15’s and had 108 goals/assists in 139 matches.

Last edited:
I watched Ronaldinho's highlights and I don't think any player has better ones.

Forget the next Messi, give me the next Dinho.

Thiago Silva captained Brazil in the 2013 final and missed (like Neymar) the 2014 semifinal.

Big difference is that Ronaldinho spent his absolute incredible prime aged 23-28 in a top and competitive league, showing the greatest version of himself to the World. Neymar spent his prime semi retired.
Absolutely astonishingly stupid money grabbing career ender.
He didn’t give enough fecks either after that, spent 6 seasons in France and only once played more than 20 league games.

Let’s be fair here too, no-one gives a feck about a league in which it’s the equivalent of the under 18’s side playing the under 15’s, it’s a league in which Memphis Depay played for one of the under 15’s and had 108 goals/assists in 139 matches.
He was very clear about wanting to win Ballon d'Or, and let's be honest, he was never going to do that in Messi's shadow at Barcelona. It is kind of understandable, yes, money was a huge factor but he had the chance to be the talisman of a team, playing next to Mbappé, Cavani, Verratti, Thiago Silva etc would actually mean it is a fair chance at winning CL, which they almost did.
Would there be much of a difference if he remained at Barcelona? Look at them now, absolute shitshow and chaos, slightly reminiscent of us under Glazers.

Thiago Silva captained Brazil in the 2013 final and missed (like Neymar) the 2014 semifinal.
Yeah, sure, the 7 had a lot more to do with that! It doesn't negate the fact Brazil ON the ball suffered far more from Neymar's absence.

I'll put it differently, stick Neymar in the 2002 side and they still win the World Cup, comfortably. Conversely, Ronaldinho never carried Brazil the way Neymar did.

Don't mean to diss Goofy (I wanted us to sign him back in 2000/01 and voted him here) but the poll landslide somewhat runs down Neymar badly when the gap is nowhere near as significant.

Yeah, either or, still, Neymar > Mbappe in that side. Having said that, it is Neymar who gets played down in these discussions whilst Ronaldinho gets elevated to being a peerless one-man army, which is a re-imagining of reality especially so when Ronaldinho’s true time to shine and claim a footing alongside the upper echelon came in ‘06 and he failed it spectacularly.

I would still take Ronaldinho for my vote, but the reframing of the timeline and how things actually were is painting a picture that never was.

The funny thing is, outside of fantasies about one-man teams at the Spanish giants, Ronaldinho did have a chance in Europe to really elevate a more workmanlike squad (but with some very good supporting players like Anelka, Okocha)...and it was with PSG:lol:

Since their good to excellent earlier '90s teams that regularly competed for the title had faded away, they had an inconsistent last four seasons before he joined... 8th, 9th, 2nd, 9th.

They set a decent foundation by getting to 4th in his first season, then drop off to 11th by the end of the second, with criticism of inconsistency and lack of effort in training starting. Now, I don't hold not being able to have a significant "one man army" impact against him...he was still in his early 20s after all and didn't have the expectations of a true superstar at the time, plus he played well overall, but it goes to show that actually doing that sort of thing is feckin hard and he wasn't up to it at the time, even in a league a lot of people won't give any respect to. I've no doubt if he'd beasted it liked Neymar and Mbappe it would be brought up often as an additional proof of vast superiority.

Imo, a comparison like these two shows how likeability and timing/circumstance can put a big, mostly artificial gap between two players. I don't look at anything in either player's career and see anything that looks likely to be an insurmountable task for the other. Swap them both at Barca...could Neymar, with no Messi to play second-fiddle to, be the creative/attacking talisman for that earlier side? I don't see any reason why not when I look at what he did do with Barca, or coping with leading Brazil; he played more than well enough to easily imagine it. Same as the other way around - I think Ronaldinho could have played the supporting 10/wide forward role with Messi to a similar degree of effectiveness. I also don't see either struggling much with a switch of National Team context. If either were derailed, it would probably be because of injuries (Neymar) and dedication issues (Ronaldinho).

We don't even have to look at anything other than their Barca and Brazil careers, it's not as if Neymar played vastly less games than Ronaldinho there...putting aside the times they were struggling, there's probably only about a half-season at most more games in favour of Ronaldinho, but between Messi overshadowing him and the PSG move, it seems there is an impression Neymar didn't put in a lot of elite quality work there.

The funny thing is, outside of fantasies about one-man teams at the Spanish giants, Ronaldinho did have a chance in Europe to really elevate a more workmanlike squad (but with some very good supporting players like Anelka, Okocha)...and it was with PSG:lol:.

No-one called it a one man team for God’s sake man, just like no-one ever claimed Cantona was similar. That fantasy is firmly rooted in your own imagination.
Both absolutely did come in and change the destiny of their giant clubs though, make no mistake about that.
Despite being a Spanish giant, many tend to forget that prior to his arrival they had the sum total of ONE single Champions League/EC trophy and they hadn’t won the league for 6 years. He took them to the top of World football and ushered in an unprecedented era for the club.
Hell, an entire third of their La Liga titles came after 2003.
So say what you like, but his arrival, his brilliance, his entertainment, charisma etc put Barcelona firmly at the top of the football World, and they didn’t look back.

I mean Messi himself thinks so too like, and anyone who watched the change at Barca back then, spearheaded by him knew it. Here’s Messi:

"I can only say he is the best of his era." Messi was full praise for Ronaldinho when discussing his time at Barca. "Ronaldinho was responsible for the change in Barca. It was a bad time and the change that came about with his arrival was amazing," he said

Last edited:
Ronaldhino - One of the most natural talented players, when on his game he was amazing. A real shame he never performed to the top level which he could have done.

However Neymar probably does it for me. Performed for club and country. Not a likeable player but stayed consistently good.

It is right. Mbappe winning those things means nothing, he is French and from Paris no less. If you watched the games when they played together, Neymar ran the entire attack.

It had feck all to do with being French, no-one wins POTY playing half the games man. Neymar only ever once managed over 20 games (22). Absolutely no doubt Mbappe was much more deserving of those awards.

Yeah, sure, the 7 had a lot more to do with that! It doesn't negate the fact Brazil ON the ball suffered far more from Neymar's absence.

I'll put it differently, stick Neymar in the 2002 side and they still win the World Cup, comfortably. Conversely, Ronaldinho never carried Brazil the way Neymar did.

Don't mean to diss Goofy (I wanted us to sign him back in 2000/01 and voted him here) but the poll landslide somewhat runs down Neymar badly when the gap is nowhere near as significant.
Then we are in agreement. IMO pre-injury Neymar was a GOAT. Him and Dinho both had a peak level that was up there with very best of the last 40 years.

And the bolded is definitely true. I believe Ronaldinho being a more likeable personality has got something to do with it.

Ronaldinho

Neymar hasn't finished his career yet, so perhaps it's too early to say.

But Ronaldinho has more individual titles (ballon d'or, mvp la liga, mvp ucl etc) and coletives titles (world cup), so he's a more accomplished player.

The discussion would be about being better, not greater.

Yes, I can imagine that some people think that Neymar is better, since he's faster and has achieved statistics that can be compared. Ronaldinho was slower, but stronger, more resistant to tackles and probably had better through balls. But Neymar has played in weaker leagues and has never been as dominant as peak Ronaldinho. Neymar has never won MVP of a major tournament. The MVP of La Liga was Messi, Copa America MVP was Dani Alves etc.

In regards to your last paragraph I think it's a bit harsh and I have the complete opposite view actually, Ronaldinho had a habit of disappearing in many high stakes games while neymar was sublime in cl for barca and the few times he got the chance to be at his for PSG.

His 2015 cl performances and in particular that 6_1 game against psg the year after come to mind.

I mean this is just silly.

That entire team was predicated on the success of MSN being as good as they were(and they should have won another UCL at least). Trying to suggest there were at least 5 players more important for Barcelona is nonsense.

Messi was out for 2 ~ months during their 2015-2016 season and they didn't miss a beat because of how well Neymar played in his absence. I mean they smashed Real(Benitez was at the helm then but still) at the Bernabeu without Messi.

Reactions: Fortitude
It had feck all to do with being French, no-one wins POTY playing half the games man. Neymar only ever once managed over 20 games (22). Absolutely no doubt Mbappe was much more deserving of those awards.
Ok, but when Neymar played, it was clear that he was the better player, at least in the first couple of years. I like Mbappe, but he's a player of good skill, rather than outrageous skill.

I mean this is just silly.

That entire team was predicated on the success of MSN being as good as they were(and they should have won another UCL at least). Trying to suggest there were at least 5 players more important for Barcelona is nonsense.

Messi was out for 2 ~ months during their 2015-2016 season and they didn't miss a beat because of how well Neymar played in his absence. I mean they smashed Real(Benitez was at the helm then but still) at the Bernabeu without Messi.
I mean over the course of his 4 years there he was well down the pecking order. And yes he was terrific in his last 2 seasons, but I mean it in the sense that... Messi, Suarez and Busquets were their top 3 most important players and they had a solid group like Alves, Alba, Neymar, Iniesta, Pique etc who are all about equally important I'd say. The season he left, they also got more points and won the title rather than finishing 2nd. They didn't exactly drop when he left. He was another elite player, but he was very much 3rd fiddle to the other 2 attackers.

I mean over the course of his 4 years there he was well down the pecking order. And yes he was terrific in his last 2 seasons, but I mean it in the sense that... Messi, Suarez and Busquets were their top 3 most important players and they had a solid group like Alves, Alba, Neymar, Iniesta, Pique etc who are all about equally important I'd say. The season he left, they also got more points and won the title rather than finishing 2nd. They didn't exactly drop when he left. He was another elite player, but he was very much 3rd fiddle to the other 2 attackers.

They certainly dropped. With Ney in the squad they won 1 CL and 2 Ligas (averaged 90.5 pts over 4 season). In the following 4 years they did win 2 more Ligas (averaged 85 pts... 87 was enough to win that Liga.) but they'd become completely irrelevant in the CL.

The funny thing is, outside of fantasies about one-man teams at the Spanish giants, Ronaldinho did have a chance in Europe to really elevate a more workmanlike squad (but with some very good supporting players like Anelka, Okocha)...and it was with PSG:lol:

Since their good to excellent earlier '90s teams that regularly competed for the title had faded away, they had an inconsistent last four seasons before he joined... 8th, 9th, 2nd, 9th.

They set a decent foundation by getting to 4th in his first season, then drop off to 11th by the end of the second, with criticism of inconsistency and lack of effort in training starting. Now, I don't hold not being able to have a significant "one man army" impact against him...he was still in his early 20s after all and didn't have the expectations of a true superstar at the time, plus he played well overall, but it goes to show that actually doing that sort of thing is feckin hard and he wasn't up to it at the time, even in a league a lot of people won't give any respect to. I've no doubt if he'd beasted it liked Neymar and Mbappe it would be brought up often as an additional proof of vast superiority.

Imo, a comparison like these two shows how likeability and timing/circumstance can put a big, mostly artificial gap between two players. I don't look at anything in either player's career and see anything that looks likely to be an insurmountable task for the other. Swap them both at Barca...could Neymar, with no Messi to play second-fiddle to, be the creative/attacking talisman for that earlier side? I don't see any reason why not when I look at what he did do with Barca, or coping with leading Brazil; he played more than well enough to easily imagine it. Same as the other way around - I think Ronaldinho could have played the supporting 10/wide forward role with Messi to a similar degree of effectiveness. I also don't see either struggling much with a switch of National Team context. If either were derailed, it would probably be because of injuries (Neymar) and dedication issues (Ronaldinho).

We don't even have to look at anything other than their Barca and Brazil careers, it's not as if Neymar played vastly less games than Ronaldinho there...putting aside the times they were struggling, there's probably only about a half-season at most more games in favour of Ronaldinho, but between Messi overshadowing him and the PSG move, it seems there is an impression Neymar didn't put in a lot of elite quality work there.
I feel like Ronaldinho was allowed to grow and develop at his own pace and the pressure on him as a youngster was nothing like what Neymar faced from a much, much younger age.

I was alerted to Neymar by a Brazilian friend who adores Pele and used to send me VHS of what were then extremely hard to come by full matches; he didn't introduce me to Neymar with good intentions as he would pour scorn on the kid for being called a potential Pele usurper and the one who would break Pele's international goalscoring record - the hype around Neymar goes back to his mid teens and carries straight through with him leading that incredible Santos side, ably assisted by Ganso and Diego, winning the Copa Libertadores and being a legit superstar in South America before he left.

I know this board generally couldn't care less for what happens in South America, but the pressure and weight of expectation for these respective players couldn't be more different throughout their formative years and, ironically, their crossover comes when Ronaldinho matures at Barca - that's the time he has to carry burdens Neymar had had before he had even debuted as a teenager. In 2002, Ronaldinho was very much in the shadow of the superstars of the time in the team, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's a huge contrast to Neymar, who again, was burdened with being the one expected to match Pele, beat his records and carry Brazil - the time Ronaldinho had equivalent pressure to that, in 2006, he crumbled. And that was supposed to be his World Cup; going into it it was seen pretty much as a formality for Ronaldinho's form and exploits at his club that this would be his ascension to a player who could have a tournament that could rival what the true greats had done in the past. We all know what happened there, but the blot on his copybook rarely gets spoken about and the criticism for his performance there is of the softest variety. It comes with being adored, however, and that's something Neymar hasn't received on the universal scale, which means most of his exploits are played down, as we see in this thread, but on a broader level, he's always going to be seen as someone who came up short despite it mostly being injuries that waylaid him as opposed to outright failure on the pitch.

One of Neymar's biggest criticisms was that in times of dire straits, particularly for Brazil, he would go into hero mode and try and do far, far too much by himself. You certainly cannot levy hiding or being fearful of the spotlight or pressure to perform on his shoulders as he was always up for trying with everything he had to affect a game's result. I find the perception of the player to be one of the most fascinating of all superstars as to me, I don't know who of that élan gets played down and mostly summarily dismissed as much as Neymar. As a study, I'll always find that most curious because I doubt he'll ever get the praise he warrants and he'll mostly have his story warped because of how disliked he is.

Having said all of the above, my vote would still go to Ronaldinho as he did a hell of a lot to cement his legacy at Barcelona, but if their careers are extrapolated and examined:

- Neymar is in a different stratosphere as a teen and before coming to Europe
- Their respective times at Barcelona were a huge success. For all the praise Ronaldinho has bestowed upon him for his time there, Neymar was still an essential cog in one of, if not the greatest attacking front line seen in club football
- Neymar did more outside of their halcyon periods, despite being at PSG
- It's fair to say they both lost their hunger and appetite for the game by 30
- Neymar has done more for the NT than Ronaldinho, and as @antohan said, you swap an equivalent age Neymar with 2002 Ronaldinho and Brazil still win that trophy. I'd say Neymar would have a greater impact even, as 22-year old Neymar is a better player than 22-year old Ronaldinho, by a distance. Ronaldinho was still figuring out his game at that age, Neymar was already a seasoned winner and carrier of teams.
- Ronaldinho hasn't a run of games as impactful for Brazil as Neymar's before being tiger knee'd out of the competition.

If we boil it down to broth, we are basically comparing the Barca iterations of both players as that's where both achieved their greatest feats and accolades (despite doing what he did at Santos being enormous), and I think that discussion is a lot closer than has been put forth.

Incidentally, one area that Ronaldinho cleans up is in iconic moment in isolated games. I wouldn't go as far as to say it clouds perception, but it certainly adds a certain flavour to assessment. If we go by iconic highlight reels, Ronaldinho's stock elevates beyond many who sit above him in all-time regard, even. Neymar doesn't stand a chance there.