Neymar vs Ronaldinho: Who was the better player?

Who was the better player

• Total voters
They certainly dropped. With Ney in the squad they won 1 CL and 2 Ligas (averaged 90.5 pts over 4 season). In the following 4 years they did win 2 more Ligas (averaged 85 pts... 87 was enough to win that Liga.) but they'd become completely irrelevant in the CL.
That was less due to Neymar leaving and more due to Messi, Suarez and Busquets declining, Iniesta leaving, etc. Take just that team in his last season and the year after, they didn't exactly feel his loss. They felt the loss of Luis Enrique, but their level was pretty much the same with and without him in his last season and the one after.

I mean over the course of his 4 years there he was well down the pecking order. And yes he was terrific in his last 2 seasons, but I mean it in the sense that... Messi, Suarez and Busquets were their top 3 most important players and they had a solid group like Alves, Alba, Neymar, Iniesta, Pique etc who are all about equally important I'd say. The season he left, they also got more points and won the title rather than finishing 2nd. They didn't exactly drop when he left. He was another elite player, but he was very much 3rd fiddle to the other 2 attackers.
Messi and Busquets may be more important for the team, but Busquets would also be more important than Ronaldinho in that Barca team.
The fact that you suggest that Alves, Alba or Pique was equally as important as Neymar is just silly. They are not close.

What makes you think Suarez was more important? Most Barca fans think Neymar was the better one in that MSN trio. Career wise, then obviously Suarez, but Neymar made that Barca team tick offensively, everything flowed through him, especially that period when Messi was out injured and Barca didn't drop a level.

… and he also stepped up when Messi was injured He was the attack then.

At this point you’ve just lost your argument with absurdity…

In 15/16 when Messi had his long 51 day injury, Suarez scored 59 and assisted 24. (Neymar scored 31, assisted 25).

In the time Messi was missing in La Liga, ending with a great 0-4 away win to Madrid (where Suarez scored 2 and Neymar scored 1 and assisted 1), Suarez scored 8 and assisted 2, Neymar scored 9, assisted 4.

They dealt well enough with the loss of Messi because of both players kept a high level, sadly though Neymar’s numbers dropped off after Messi’s return, whilst Suarez went from strength to strength.

You’re arguing in serious bad faith now mate.

Last edited:
Alright Khal Drogo :lol:

I think you should check Suarez big game Barca record before claiming Neymar was the big game player.
You can't be serious. Neymar was much more of a big game player than Suarez, and he toyed with defenders in CL consistently.

In 15/16 when Messi had his long 51 day injury, Suarez scored 59 and assisted 24. (Neymar scored 31, assisted 25).

In the time Messi was missing in La Liga, ending with a great 0-4 away win to Madrid (where Suarez scored 2 and Neymar scored 1 and assisted 1), Suarez scored 8 and assisted 2, Neymar scored 9, assisted 4.

They dealt well enough with the loss of Messi because of both players kept a high level, sadly though Neymar’s numbers dropped off after Messi’s return, whilst Suarez went from strength to strength.

Random poster on the internet says I have lost the argument. Case closed, then, I guess. Another poster who didn't watch Barca games so he goes on to check numbers to see who did better. And you're talking about losing the argument..

You really don't have to take my word for it. You can ask Barca fans yourself who the better player was. Or you can look up Iniesta's quotes on Neymar, but what would he know, eh? Don't know why you're arguing with me for the sake of arguing. Both players kept a high level, but like I said, the attack flowed through Neymar and he was absolutely sensational.

I feel like Ronaldinho was allowed to grow and develop at his own pace and the pressure on him as a youngster was nothing like what Neymar faced from a much, much younger age.

I was alerted to Neymar by a Brazilian friend who adores Pele and used to send me VHS of what were then extremely hard to come by full matches; he didn't introduce me to Neymar with good intentions as he would pour scorn on the kid for being called a potential Pele usurper and the one who would break Pele's international goalscoring record - the hype around Neymar goes back to his mid teens and carries straight through with him leading that incredible Santos side, ably assisted by Ganso and Diego, winning the Copa Libertadores and being a legit superstar in South America before he left.

I know this board generally couldn't care less for what happens in South America, but the pressure and weight of expectation for these respective players couldn't be more different throughout their formative years and, ironically, their crossover comes when Ronaldinho matures at Barca - that's the time he has to carry burdens Neymar had had before he had even debuted as a teenager. In 2002, Ronaldinho was very much in the shadow of the superstars of the time in the team, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's a huge contrast to Neymar, who again, was burdened with being the one expected to match Pele, beat his records and carry Brazil - the time Ronaldinho had equivalent pressure to that, in 2006, he crumbled. And that was supposed to be his World Cup; going into it it was seen pretty much as a formality for Ronaldinho's form and exploits at his club that this would be his ascension to a player who could have a tournament that could rival what the true greats had done in the past. We all know what happened there, but the blot on his copybook rarely gets spoken about and the criticism for his performance there is of the softest variety. It comes with being adored, however, and that's something Neymar hasn't received on the universal scale, which means most of his exploits are played down, as we see in this thread, but on a broader level, he's always going to be seen as someone who came up short despite it mostly being injuries that waylaid him as opposed to outright failure on the pitch.

One of Neymar's biggest criticisms was that in times of dire straits, particularly for Brazil, he would go into hero mode and try and do far, far too much by himself. You certainly cannot levy hiding or being fearful of the spotlight or pressure to perform on his shoulders as he was always up for trying with everything he had to affect a game's result. I find the perception of the player to be one of the most fascinating of all superstars as to me, I don't know who of that élan gets played down and mostly summarily dismissed as much as Neymar. As a study, I'll always find that most curious because I doubt he'll ever get the praise he warrants and he'll mostly have his story warped because of how disliked he is.

Having said all of the above, my vote would still go to Ronaldinho as he did a hell of a lot to cement his legacy at Barcelona, but if their careers are extrapolated and examined:

- Neymar is in a different stratosphere as a teen and before coming to Europe
- Their respective times at Barcelona were a huge success. For all the praise Ronaldinho has bestowed upon him for his time there, Neymar was still an essential cog in one of, if not the greatest attacking front line seen in club football
- Neymar did more outside of their halcyon periods, despite being at PSG
- It's fair to say they both lost their hunger and appetite for the game by 30
- Neymar has done more for the NT than Ronaldinho, and as @antohan said, you swap an equivalent age Neymar with 2002 Ronaldinho and Brazil still win that trophy. I'd say Neymar would have a greater impact even, as 22-year old Neymar is a better player than 22-year old Ronaldinho, by a distance. Ronaldinho was still figuring out his game at that age, Neymar was already a seasoned winner and carrier of teams.
- Ronaldinho hasn't a run of games as impactful for Brazil as Neymar's before being tiger knee'd out of the competition.

If we boil it down to broth, we are basically comparing the Barca iterations of both players as that's where both achieved their greatest feats and accolades (despite doing what he did at Santos being enormous), and I think that discussion is a lot closer than has been put forth.

Incidentally, one area that Ronaldinho cleans up is in iconic moment in isolated games. I wouldn't go as far as to say it clouds perception, but it certainly adds a certain flavour to assessment. If we go by iconic highlight reels, Ronaldinho's stock elevates beyond many who sit above him in all-time regard, even. Neymar doesn't stand a chance there.
Pretty much my thoughts on this. I also tracked the early Pelé- beating references (not least because he was emerging at Santos) and scoffed at them like your mate. If I may add, I hated him with a passion, seeing as his Santos team beat my Peñarol in the Libertadores. I thoroughly disliked him and wanted him to fail, can't think of any other player that ever got me in that mode other than StevieG or Terry but that was more about the club they played for.

Still dislike him somewhat, but what mellowed my perspective was:

1) how he actually took to his second fiddle role at Barça and performed steadily, but rose to the challenge each and every time Messi was out. I had expected him to be a disruptive primadonna.

2) his heroics for Brazil and how he kept going again despite fate slapping his face many times over. Ironically, they end up winning the 2019 Copa América in his absence, which adds insult to injury (pun not intended but apt).

He deserved better and I'm saying this about someone I've wanted to strangle quite a few times over the years.

I think you and @Grand Vizier are approaching the same reality in different ways.

The stats show Suárez was sensational for Barça and as part of MSN. It's idiotic to argue otherwise and unnecessary to make it about "who was better" because the secret sauce was how they performed as a unit.

What he is pointing out, and many Barça fans also do, is that whenever Messi was out or off Neymar stepped up. Imagine having Messi for over a decade, worrying about Messi-dependence, and then finding this chap who could play with Messi (accepting his stats dilution), would make up for it when Messi isn't around (so much so that Suárez would keep banging them in like nothing happened) and would then get on with moving back into Messi's shadow upon return. It's a cheat code.

I mean over the course of his 4 years there he was well down the pecking order. And yes he was terrific in his last 2 seasons, but I mean it in the sense that... Messi, Suarez and Busquets were their top 3 most important players and they had a solid group like Alves, Alba, Neymar, Iniesta, Pique etc who are all about equally important I'd say. The season he left, they also got more points and won the title rather than finishing 2nd. They didn't exactly drop when he left. He was another elite player, but he was very much 3rd fiddle to the other 2 attackers.
He really wasn't, take it from someone who watched all the games

So some of you are going as far as re-writing history to say that during his time in Barca, he wasn't their 2nd most important player after Messi. Very funny.

- Neymar has done more for the NT than Ronaldinho, and as @antohan said, you swap an equivalent age Neymar with 2002 Ronaldinho and Brazil still win that trophy.

I'd believe it when I saw it. Yes, Neymar has tools and a repertoire, but he couldn't beat Croatia and Belgium in the last two World Cups. There's nothing to suggest that he would have decided against England. You can't take it for granted.

Incidentally, one area that Ronaldinho cleans up is in iconic moment in isolated games. I wouldn't go as far as to say it clouds perception, but it certainly adds a certain flavour to assessment. If we go by iconic highlight reels, Ronaldinho's stock elevates beyond many who sit above him in all-time regard, even. Neymar doesn't stand a chance there.

Ronaldinho has many more nominations for Europe's team of the month in the international press

https://erubik.xyz/esm/players.php

Ronaldinho got a Ballon d'Or, La Liga MVP, UCL MVP. There's a big difference in achievements between the two.

So some of you are going as far as re-writing history to say that during his time in Barca, he wasn't their 2nd most important player after Messi. Very funny.

So important they came second in his final season and then twatted the league the following year.

Suarez was an absolute machine there, scoring 25 & assisting 13 in just 33 la liga games after Neymar’s departure which meant they barely noticed he’d left. But that said, as good as Suarez was, without Busquets they’d never be the same team, he was absolutely essential to them and the way they play.

For the great Barca years it’s something like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi/Busquests for me in terms of importance to them. Feel free to find that “very funny”.
Neymar, Alves, Suarez, David Silva… they were all just passing by for a few years, but their successes were always built on these players.

Last edited:
So important they came second in his final season and then twatted the league the following year.

Suarez was an absolute machine there, scoring 25 & assisting 13 in just 33 la liga games after Neymar’s departure which meant they barely noticed he’d left. But that said, as good as Suarez was, without Busquets they’d never be the same team, he was absolutely essential to them and the way they play.

For the great Barca years it’s something like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi/Busquests for me in terms of importance to them. Feel free to find that “very funny”.
Neymar, Alves, Suarez, David Silva… they were all just passing by for a few years, but their successes were always built on these players.
You're basically re-writing history and most Barca fans won't agree with you on this.
And Suarez scoring more goals than Neymar was normal giving their roles, but he was by no means more important than Neymar in how the team played.

When Neymar got to Barcelona, the midfield trio had become less dominant (the same for the Spanish NT). The whole Barca attack was basically left up to the MSN trio, Messi was obviously the most important player, followed by Neymar.