Raees

Reality Draft
EAP
harms
Sjor
Mazhar
Enigma_87

Sheep Draft

Just thinking out loud and not really thought it through much but how about a 'random draw' draft which includes the following....

The 16 players pick one of each of the following positions: keeper, centre back, centre mid, winger and striker. The 16 keepers are then randomly assigned to a team manager (you may be lucky and get the one you picked but you may, if another manager has selected them, get a howler).

Once the 5 players have been picked for each team we then all pick the remaining positions in the normal snake order....

I can't play as I'll be too busy on holiday (lots of travelling with three children) but from a spectators view I like the idea of the reality draft.

All-time pool Auction Draft
Joga Bonito
Pat Mustard
Raees

Reality Draft
EAP
harms
Sjor
Mazhar
Enigma_87
Physio

Sheep Draft

The 16 players pick one of each of the following positions: keeper, centre back, centre mid, winger and striker. The 16 keepers are then randomly assigned to a team manager (you may be lucky and get the one you picked but you may, if another manager has selected them, get a howler).

Once the 5 players have been picked for each team we then all pick the remaining positions in the normal snake order....

That is Reality Draft :lol: though we did it with 4 players, Legacy plus one each for forwards, midfielders and defenders. Rest are snake'd.

Just thinking out loud and not really thought it through much but how about a 'random draw' draft which includes the following....

:D

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-reality-draft-main-thread-finals.396289/

You should vote for the reality draft then.

Aaah yeah my bad. Didn't do that one. I vote for that then....although an auction would be good to do again if not this time around....

All-time pool Auction Draft
Joga Bonito
Pat Mustard
Raees

Reality Draft
EAP
harms
Sjor
Mazhar
Enigma_87
Physio
Marty1968

Sheep Draft

I think someone mentioned this before, but a Reality Draft with Auctions seems to be the new way ahead. I need some (sober) time to think this through.

That could be a great compromise if you could come up with something of that sort.

If not we will have to go with a snake themed Reality Draft as there seems to be more interest in that.

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to a way of marrying both formats and enhance the game play. Best I can come up with is....

- 16 GOAT blocks (1 per manger) to start with.

Reality:

- Picks 1 to 7 will be in Reality mode (8 picks with 1 player lost to season ending T-Bola)

R01 - Legacy pool will be randomized and one player awarded to each manager.
R02 - Managers pick Player 2
R03 - DoF Interference Defender Pool will be randomized and one player awarded to each manager.
R04 - Managers pick Player 4
R05 - DoF Interference Forward Pool will be randomized and one player awarded to each manager.
R06 - Managers pick Player 6
R07 - DoF Interference Midfielder Pool will be randomized and one player awarded to each manager.
R08 - Managers pick Player 8
T5 - T-bola: One of players picked till now decides he does not like you and goes AWOL to Argentina.
Legacy player MUST play in R1​

Auction:

- Picks 8-14 (minimum) will be in Auction mode

$210m budget with minimum 7 players to be picked.
Mandatory pick (minimum) of 1 "youth" player born after 1990
Players born before 01-Jan-1945 will have minimum starting bid of $20m
GoalKeeper's start off minimum bid of $20m.
12 hrs without up-bid to be successful.
$2m minimum up-bid for first 8 hours. $5m minimum up-bid for last 4 hours.​

Reinforcements:

Every team will suffer a random injury to playing previous round's starting 11 before every round.
Reinforcements will also be in auction mode. ($100m for 3 players).

There doesn't seem to a way of marrying both formats and enhance the game play. Best I can come up with is....

- 16 GOAT blocks (1 per manger) to start with.

Reality:

- Picks 1 to 7 will be in Reality mode (8 picks with 1 player lost to season ending T-Bola)

R01 - Legacy pool will be randomized and one player awarded to each manager.
R02 - Managers pick Player 2
R03 - DoF Interference Defender Pool will be randomized and one player awarded to each manager.
R04 - Managers pick Player 4
R05 - DoF Interference Forward Pool will be randomized and one player awarded to each manager.
R06 - Managers pick Player 6
R07 - DoF Interference Midfielder Pool will be randomized and one player awarded to each manager.
R08 - Managers pick Player 8
T5 - T-bola: One of players picked till now decides he does not like you and goes AWOL to Argentina.
Legacy player MUST play in R1​

Auction:

- Picks 8-14 (minimum) will be in Auction mode

$210m budget with minimum 7 players to be picked.
Mandatory pick (minimum) of 1 "youth" player born after 1990
Players born before 01-Jan-1945 will have minimum starting bid of $20m
GoalKeeper's start off minimum bid of $20m.
12 hrs without up-bid to be successful.
$2m minimum up-bid for first 8 hours. $5m minimum up-bid for last 4 hours.​

Reinforcements:

Every team will suffer a random injury to playing previous round's starting 11 before every round.
Reinforcements will also be in auction mode. ($100m for 3 players).
Like it!!!

@Edgar Allan Pillow instead of random picks the draft master could do a transfer trade between the 2 managers so managers get to pick every player but in the meantime someone from the squad isnt happy that Tevez went AWOL and wants to leave so you do a trade for us. The end scenario is pretty much the same as we will get random players but its more fun as we will get to pick/buy more.

Maybe do one random player, one trade from the draft master and one trade in which we need to make the trade between us.

I don't see why you'd want to combine them, to be honest. Some people simply don't care much for the auction format, but might not mind it (too much) if it were part of a reality draft. The latter is different from actually wanting a combo draft, though. Could turn out that most of those who wouldn't mind it too much would prefer a straight reality draft if given the choice.

If a significant number of people actually want a combination draft, then by all means - but then this should be an option people can vote for.

To clarify: As it stands, most people want a reality draft. And even though these people would still want to participate in a combination draft, the question is nevertheless what they'd actually prefer: reality or combination? If asked they might want to participate in any kind of combination draft (not just a reality/auction combo), but they'd still prefer a pure reality one.

@Edgar Allan Pillow what do you thing about more (and more inventive) surprises? And about the possibility of building a bigger squad to have resources to deal with all the problems?

I don't see why you'd want to combine them, to be honest. Some people simply don't care much for the auction format, but might not mind it (too much) if it were part of a reality draft. The latter is different from actually wanting a combo draft, though. Could turn out that most of those who wouldn't mind it too much would prefer a straight reality draft if given the choice.

If a significant number of people actually want a combination draft, then by all means - but then this should be an option people can vote for.

To clarify: As it stands, most people want a reality draft. And even though these people would still want to participate in a combination draft, the question is nevertheless what they'd actually prefer: reality or combination? If asked they might want to participate in any kind of combination draft (not just a reality/auction combo), but they'd still prefer a pure reality one.

The 'reality' aspect has been replicated. The changes was the the tail picks which has been changed from Snake to Auction. I don't think it matters much and Auction there may have an added excitement factor over a regular snake. In essence, the meatier part of the draft is still Reality.

@Edgar Allan Pillow what do you thing about more (and more inventive) surprises? And about the possibility of building a bigger squad to have resources to deal with all the problems?

Well, the draft is for 14 players instead of usual 12.
I'm having some thoughts in @Skizzo'esque player steal round at the end though this needs some fleshing out.

Tbh, there should be a balance between random events and team building. I don't want too many random that it compromises building a decent team at the end.

I don't think it matters much and Auction there may have an added excitement factor over a regular snake.

Maybe. But I say again that some people simply don't like the auction format as such. *

My preference for a combo would be reality/criteria. After the reality rounds, you task the managers with drafting in the rest with certain criteria given which they have to fill (either on a round-to-round basis, or you give 'em the criteria in full after the reality part, leaving them free to spread out the criteria as they please).

* And I would say it's the least attractive format for neutrals. At least that's my experience as a neutral myself. I barely pay attention to auctions, it's just a matter of waiting until the dust has settled.

I've not really followed the thread but a couple of general points which you can feel free to kick into touch if they're not relevant or out of context. First is to keep things simple. That helps to keep everyone engaged and avoids room for confusion and drama amongst managers. I appreciate that needs to be relaxed to some extent to develop an interesting concept. Second is that the auction tends to work better in more open-ended pools where there's competition for the same positions and players. For example, it becomes a bit meaningless if everyone is picking up their respective players for 10m because there are differing needs across the board.

Yeah after pondering on it further, perhaps a more straightforward and conventional snake-style drafting, interspersed with reality rounds, might be the way to go forward. We could have a full-fleshed auction draft in the near future, instead of trying to forcefully shoe-horn it into the reality draft. I reckon if the draftmaster wants to ramp up the excitement factor, he could create a few sheep-styled rounds (which is relatively easier to incorporate and is also exciting for neutrals to follow) or arrange for more surprise rounds etc.

Also, can we please not ban any greats, after taking into account the pools of the past few drafts, but rather increase the difficulty of the draft.

Also, can we please not ban any greats, after taking into account the pools of the past few drafts, but rather increase the difficulty of the draft.

Personally I don't think blocking GOATs is necessary in and of itself. It's a question of balance. If you make sure (as best you can) that the managers end up with non-obvious teams, you don't have to actually block anyone.

It goes back to what we discussed the other day: If you want to make 100% sure that no obvious names are featured, you can do a women's draft, or a draft featuring only players who were never capped. But who wants that? Keeping it interesting ultimately has to be about messing around a bit with the format(s). Let people pick GOATs, but make it less likely that said GOATs will dominate the discussion. That sort of thing.

Any closer to the creation of the Reality Draft II thread @Edgar Allan Pillow ?

Let's get the sign-up sheet going in the meanwhile

1) joga bonito

In! Aldo's not coming back by the look of things, unfortunately, so demonstrative posturing serves no purpose.

1) joga bonito
2) invictus

Happy to play in this but will be asking a few questions

1) joga bonito
2) invictus
3) DavidG

1) joga bonito
2) invictus
3) sjor
4) DavidG

1) joga bonito
2) invictus
3) DavidG
4) Sjor
5) Tuppet
6) Enigma

1) joga bonito
2) invictus
3) DavidG
4) Sjor
5) Tuppet
6) Enigma
7) Mazhar

1) joga bonito
2) invictus
3) DavidG
4) Sjor
5) Tuppet
6) Enigma
7) Mazhar
8) harms

1) joga bonito
2) invictus
3) DavidG
4) Sjor
5) Tuppet
6) Enigma
7) Mazhar
8) harms
9) Downcast

1) joga bonito
2) invictus
3) DavidG
4) Sjor
5) Tuppet
6) Enigma
7) Mazhar
8) harms
9) Downcast
10) Skizzo

I would genuinely like to play but I'm on holiday for the next two and half weeks and will be really busy