Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Come on @Gio I'm craving my fix.

images

They seem to be craving your ownership too :p

Whoever is hosting the game, please tell us the criteria, would be really helpful for newbs. I could atleast try looking up some players and start reading up on their status in Caf drafts, instead of getting caught off guard like last time with Mazzola (la grande bellend) and Suurbier. :nervous:

Whoever is hosting the game, please tell us the criteria, would be really helpful for newbs. I could atleast try looking up some players and start reading up on their status in Caf drafts, instead of getting caught off guard like last time with Mazzola (la grande bellend) and Suurbier. :nervous:

Every round has a different criteria, incl some which requires you to choose 2 linked players (e.g. pick 2 players who have played in same WC final).

Unlike Suurbier, Mazzola is usually rated highly here :confused:

Every round has a different criteria, incl some which requires you to choose 2 linked players (e.g. pick 2 players who have played in same WC final).

Wut? I'm so fecked then...

just pick the players you rate, dont bother with opinion of others.....it works magical for me, im out every time after first round:cool:

That's the point of the sheep draft. Everyone is fecked, all the fecking time.

Got it. :lol:

just pick the players you rate, dont bother with opinion of others.....it works magical for me, im out every time after first round:cool:

Ha! That's what I did last time around, not just in terms of picks, but conceptualizing the setup and how certain areas on the pitch would function. And look how that turned out. Barely scraping past round 1, and promptly getting booted in the very next round. :D

Why would you do that? I suggest that you don't try to pick the Caf favourites as that could make the draft a bit stale. I always love to read up on new players, discover them, and appreciate them some more. It's what I try to do as well in these drafts to the best of my ability.

Just go with what you prefer the most. Don't ever bend to the Caf's way of doing things. Besides, some of these players also became Caf favourites once the draft managers gave them some good recognition (Schuster being the most recent example).

The draft thread will be going up either later tonight or tomorrow.

Got it. :lol:

Ha! That's what I did last time around, not just in terms of picks, but conceptualizing the setup and how certain areas on the pitch would function. And look how that turned out. Barely scraping past round 1, and promptly getting booted in the very next round. :D
You did great against two great drafters and two great teams. You deserved to go through and had the best team in the draft (At least my favourite).

Why would you do that? I suggest that you don't try to pick the Caf favourites as that could make the draft a bit stale. I always love to read up on new players, discover them, and appreciate them some more. It's what I try to do as well in these drafts to the best of my ability.

Just go with what you prefer the most. Don't ever bend to the Caf's way of doing things. Besides, some of these players also became Caf favourites once the draft managers gave them some good recognition (Schuster being the most recent example).

I get that mate, but some of them are incredibly hard sells, and you hit the brick wall at a certain point when facing more illustrious names. eg. I could never sell Perfumo, Weber, Suurbier and Rildo as a viable defense that might contain the opposition's attack despite them having about 250 caps for Argentina, West Germany, Holland and Brazil.

For Schuster, one could point to the fact that he finished in the Top 3 of the Ballon D'Or listings 3 times in 5 seasons, you can post his games for Barcelona, Real Madrid and EURO 1980. For Carpegiani I had to watch like 9 hours of video from different matches just to find a game worth posting. And it was by sheer luck that I stumbled upon the Brazil vs Argentina game where he played really well, only to discard him past Round 1 because he wouldn't be taken seriously in subsequent rounds despite being elected in the Bola de Prata alongside the likes of Zico and Figueroa; and being a lynchpin for Internacional with Falcão. Hell, I browsed through an older draft with Falcão, and even he was getting severely underrated despite being a top Brazilian midfielder with Didi and Gerson. Poor Carepgiani stood no chance in relative terms.

For Weber, there wasn't sufficient extended Köln footage available, ditto for Rildo from his Santos days. Even if I say that Weber was rated World Class 3 times by Bild and International class half a dozen times, and played in the 1966 World Cup finals, and was voted Top defender in the Bundesliga once; or that Bransch was 2 timeas East Germany Player of the Year and kept a clean sheet vs West Germany and Gerd Müller in the World Cup, and a central defensive partnership between either of them and Perfumo was strong enough, scan voters were always unlikely to take them seriously as a stopper and sweeper. I guess intuitively, it makes sense to juggle pragmaticism with a lesser degree of risk, and go with a proven horse than hitch your wagon to one who doesn't have much in terms of a profile.

Florian Albert, Netzer, Van Hanegem and Figueroa have all gone up in my expectations.

Netzer especially, Joga sold him amazingly.

I guess intuitively, it makes sense to juggle pragmaticism with a lesser degree of risk, and go with a proven horse than hitch your wagon to one who doesn't have much in terms of a profile.

That would be the safest route in most cases. But then again, the so-called scan voters aren't all of the same ilk. I suspect that some are just as likely to vote AGAINST certain of your players (who aren't obscure at all) rather than FOR the shiny names of your opponent.

In that sense it could actually be an advantage that the voter doesn't know the player you're sporting - because he doesn't associate anything with said player, has no prejudice against him, etc.

That would be the safest route in most cases. But then again, the so-called scan voters aren't all of the same ilk. I suspect that some are just as likely to vote AGAINST certain of your players (who aren't obscure at all) rather than FOR the shiny names of your opponent.

In that sense it could actually be an advantage that the voter doesn't know the player you're sporting - because he doesn't associate anything with said player, has no prejudice against him, etc.
Plus, the scan voter will also rely more on your word than anyone else's because you'd be the most likely source of info for them having researched the most on such players. It's one of the reasons why I go for some of these more obscure names in these drafts. :angel:

Play a few drafts and you'll know the caf favs, the "i-really-like-this-player-so-does-scan-voters-but-not-necesserily-caf-veterans", scanvoter-favs. I try and go for a mix but i'll defend my favs til i get blueballs. Hi, Zlatan! Go Sweden!

I suspect that some are just as likely to vote AGAINST certain of your players (who aren't obscure at all) rather than FOR the shiny names of your opponent.

I once had a voter who voted for me just because I had Schmeichel. On the flip side, I also had Sajeev who refused to vote for me because I had Shay Given as my keeper. Not sure if either saw the rest of the team through. :lol:

I once had a voter who voted for me just because I had Schmeichel. On the flip side, I also had Sajeev who refused to vote for me because I had Shay Given as my keeper. Not sure if either saw the rest of the team through. :lol:

Exactly -and the thing is that nine times out of ten whoever votes along those lines never post in the thread, so you have no idea what their precise reasons for voting for - of against - you were.

Alright boys, we haven't even had a chance to recover from the hangover of last night's 40s draft celebrations.

But don't worry junkies, a new thread is on its way.

This better be the most evil one yet. I want people leaving the draft in tears, throwing their toys out of their prams. Committee, commence!