New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 936 55.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 737 44.1%

• Total voters
Purely out of interest, how would you feel if we named the new stadium after Sir Bobby Charlton or SAF?

I am thinking about San Siro/Giuseppe Maezza (AC Milan/Inter). In that case, San Siro is the name of the location, similar to Old Trafford with our own stadium and Giuseppe Maezza of the Italian football's great(est). Both clubs share the same arena, but the clubs commonly use their "own stadium name" and therefore my question aims towards a resemblances to Inter's Giuseppe Maezza naming profile.

Hope I do not offend the local fans with this question (I live abroad and can't visit Manchester as often as I would want to), but I am really curious about your opinions.

Purely out of interest, how would you feel if we named the new stadium after Sir Bobby Charlton or SAF?

I am thinking about San Siro/Giuseppe Maezza (AC Milan/Inter). In that case, San Siro is the name of the location, similar to Old Trafford with our own stadium and Giuseppe Maezza of the Italian football's great(est). Both clubs share the same arena, but the clubs commonly use their "own stadium name" and therefore my question aims towards a resemblances to Inter's Giuseppe Maezza naming profile.

Hope I do not offend the local fans with this question (I live abroad and can't visit Manchester as often as I would want to), but I am really curious about your opinions.

They already named the stands after Sir Bobby and Sir Alex. I don’t see anyway they name a new stadium after one man though when we have three Sirs so integral to the club. More likely we just name stands in a new stadium after them again.

I do hope the stadium task force releases their findings soon. Would ideally like to see the new stadium design/concepts by the end of this year. Hope we keep Old Trafford's rectangular shape, don't need another bowl or oval. Could encase the interior bowl in a rectangular shape too if needed. Not a huge fan of the new Santiago Bernabeu, one of the worst looking new stadiums imo, despite the high praise and technical achievement to have an underground pitch. I'm curious whether there's a preference for a closed, open, or retractable roof among fans. Interior wise, I like what the American stadiums like So-Fi, Allegiant are doing with their screens. In comparison screens at the Tottenham stadium feel a bit tacked on.

Some new designs that I really like- buffalo bills stadium, Inter Milans new stadium concept

For a new stadium, I dont mind if it has a company name in it. As long as they pay most for it, why not.... time to go on with times. Like Barca who never had a shirt sponsor, you need to get on with times

Yet we made a loss last season so we are not making enough. Then there is the massive debt that should be cleared, as well as the ground. The parasites have sucked Utd dry with really poor insight.

I'm all for the club exploring ways to make more money but I'd like to see that a) it doesn't come completely at the expense of matchgoing fans with price increases and b) a commitment to avoid reckless spending every season.

I do hope the stadium task force releases their findings soon. Would ideally like to see the new stadium design/concepts by the end of this year. Hope we keep Old Trafford's rectangular shape, don't need another bowl or oval. Could encase the interior bowl in a rectangular shape too if needed. Not a huge fan of the new Santiago Bernabeu, one of the worst looking new stadiums imo, despite the high praise and technical achievement to have an underground pitch. I'm curious whether there's a preference for a closed, open, or retractable roof among fans. Interior wise, I like what the American stadiums like So-Fi, Allegiant are doing with their screens. In comparison screens at the Tottenham stadium feel a bit tacked on.

Some new designs that I really like- buffalo bills stadium, Inter Milans new stadium concept

I still think we should take inspo from the Lucas Oil stadium. Something like that would look great in Manchester, fitting in with the old victorian warehouses.

I still think we should take inspo from the Lucas Oil stadium. Something like that would look great in Manchester, fitting in with the old victorian warehouses.
Would be a lovely design, and would stand out from the new bowl like norm of new stadiums.

If you look at the history of the club it would be hard to put one name on the stadium, we have had so many great players over the decades we also have had managers like Matt Busby, who built the Busby Babes, he took us into European competition against the wishes of the English FA and League, he then rebuilt the team after the Munich air disaster, winning the European cup amazingly only 10 yrs after, we were the first English team to win it. There are a lot of individuals who have given United such a rich history, that's why Man United is the most famous club in the world, no other team has our history . That's just a small sample.

Both of these just look like variations on a bowl to be honest. It's obviously the shape of choice to put in maximum seating. The SoFi looks sensational and different. The Lucas Oil isn't a favourite but understand why it would look good in Manchester. Inside though, both again are variations of the bowl. I expect whatever happens we will be getting a bowl. How it's disguised will presumably determine whether it's soulless or not.

Both of these just look like variations on a bowl to be honest. It's obviously the shape of choice to put in maximum seating. The SoFi looks sensational and different. The Lucas Oil isn't a favourite but understand why it would look good in Manchester. Inside though, both again are variations of the bowl. I expect whatever happens we will be getting a bowl. How it's disguised will presumably determine whether it's soulless or not.

Lucas Oil stadium looks much bigger than it is as well. It is only 70k. I like a lot of the ideas behind it though and could imagine a more modern interpretation of Old Trafford using red brick and a new take on the cantilever roof.

SoFi is amazing but really bland from above. Certain angles it looks cool but they really only designed it from ground views. I'm going to the pre-season game there later this month so will be cool to see it in person.

Lucas Oil stadium looks much bigger than it is as well. It is only 70k. I like a lot of the ideas behind it though and could imagine a more modern interpretation of Old Trafford using red brick and a new take on the cantilever roof.

SoFi is amazing but really bland from above. Certain angles it looks cool but they really only designed it from ground views. I'm going to the pre-season game there later this month so will be cool to see it in person.
I'm all for brickwork and agree that something along the lines of Lucas would work.

Actually not so bothered about the aerial view as it'd only really be important for pics. I'd say the SoFi still looks distinctive from above so job done I think. What it looks like when you approach it and are in it should be the most important. Report back after the game required please!

I'm all for brickwork and agree that something along the lines of Lucas would work.

Actually not so bothered about the aerial view as it'd only really be important for pics. I'd say the SoFi still looks distinctive from above so job done I think. What it looks like when you approach it and are in it should be the most important. Report back after the game required please!

Aerial view doesn't matter but it is shown before every game on TV and if you think of iconic stadiums there is always some element of the roof or exterior design that people remember. San Siro with those red girders and spiral towers, Wembley twin towers and then the arch, our own white trusses.

The way people moan about modern 'toilet bowls' it would be nice to not have that criticism.

Was it ever probably established what Sir Jim was talking about when he talked about using tax payers money? Im still seeing people claiming he wanted the tax payer to contribute towards the cost of building a new stadium but as I understand it the tax payers money was to cover the cost of developing the surrounding area that belongs to Trafford Council.

Was it ever probably established what Sir Jim was talking about when he talked about using tax payers money? Im still seeing people claiming he wanted the tax payer to contribute towards the cost of building a new stadium but as I understand it the tax payers money was to cover the cost of developing the surrounding area that belongs to Trafford Council.
My understanding was also that he was referring to Trafford Council putting tax payer money in to developing the surrounding area (transport links, parks, homes, food & drink spots).The money would surely be made back and then some in a number of years when people are arriving to the game a few hours before because there are bars, shops, food courts etc like other big stadiums have. The rent the companies would pay to the Council/United would be a big money earner. Transport to and from the ground being overhauled has been spoken about but I've no idea who might foot the bill for that. For a stadium the size of the current OT, only now when you think about improvements on the horizon for things like fan experience, good options for food, sports bars with pool tables etc, just some different options from standing by the Trinity Statue with a criminally overpriced burger and awful chips, do you realise just how shit we've had it and currently still have it!

All that sweet moolah tourists are spending in the city centre can be redirected to Trafford Council and United on matchdays, without the added stress and anxiety inducing chaos of properly over crowded trams (hopefully) as the pre game arrivals time will be much more sporadic with people arriving to do various other things in the area before the heartburn commences.

That's what I would want from a new OT anyway. More things to do pre and post match in the immediate area and an overhaul to the tram system as that's the biggest joke for me that it stops a mile away and there are just not enough of them, maybe somebody can chime in on how an overhauled transports system might work and what benefits we'd get from it...

Last edited:

I don’t think a company paying for naming rights would want anything but their name somewhere in the title, so Acme stadium/arena/park or Acme Old Trafford would probably be what the new/old stadium will be called

This is a bit of a blow, Mernagh was the brains behind Leicester’s incredible training ground premises. One would think with so much infrastructure work soon to be commissioned that she’d be excited to stick on. Perhaps it’s the layoffs? Or the ending of WFH culture?

Strange one.

This is a bit of a blow, Mernagh was the brains behind Leicester’s incredible training ground premises. One would think with so much infrastructure work soon to be commissioned that she’d be excited to stick on. Perhaps it’s the layoffs? Or the ending of WFH culture?

Strange one.

Perhaps her desk is messy?

Director who was brought in to plan the redevelopment, leaves role after development begins.
“Hey can you make a proposal for Carrington please” ?
“Ok give me a few weeks”
“Here you go Jim.
Wow these look amazing , Thanks now off you Trot”

“Ok give me a few weeks”
“Here you go Jim.

She's been here 2+ years. Strange comment.

“Ok give me a few weeks”
“Here you go Jim.

The report says she quit rather than be let go

So now Sir Keir is PM will we be in a better position to move forward with the new stadium idea, I know Sir Keir was seen at Old Trafford during a home game so is he more on board with the plans than the Conservatives were?

So now Sir Keir is PM will we be in a better position to move forward with the new stadium idea, I know Sir Keir was seen at Old Trafford during a home game so is he more on board with the plans than the Conservatives were?
Guess you can say it’s part of “levelling up” but personally I wouldn’t want tax payers money being spent on a new stadium, rather it be spent on the surrounding area.

Quite a lot of work going on under the SAF stand, even at 8 this morning. Also big piles of seating fenced off, probably the seating taken out to make the safe standing area? I was also at the ground on Thursday when the new blue kit launched. If ever you needed confirmation that we are the world’s biggest club just go and look at the number of people buying new shirts on release day. Mental.

The SoFi stadium looked amazing. A 100,000 seater stadium in the vein of the SoFi would be insane. Let's do it.