Nemanja Matic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify did Moyes or anyone at United say NO PLAYERS are available in the January window or did they say that the player/players you want are not always available? Certainly the two comments are two different things, so it would be nice to know which was actually said.

You couldn't expect him to say anything else. Quite a few say that when they sign for a new team, obviously a returnee will say the same.

He wouldn't come up with something like "yeah, I've hated them all this time for swapping me for a dubious CB after building my hopes up. But well, I've got my career to think of, and they offered me a good deal, so I'm giving them another chance".

No but if he did not want to go there doubt he would be. If her harbored any ill feelings towards them he would just not agree to a deal. So in this case you can probably place some weight on his comments.

Just to clarify did Moyes or anyone at United say NO PLAYERS are available in the January window or did they say that the player/players you want are not always available? Certainly the two comments are two different things, so it would be nice to know which was actually said.

We got the usual spiel about United always being interested in the best players and that they're not usually available in January.

Moyes said:
"I have said I will try to get players but it will probably be doubtful in January. I have said that quite consistently," he said.

"There is an urgency that we would like to bring players in but are those players available in January?

"There is no point in me hyping it up and saying we are because players we would like to bring in are probably not available."

BBC saying he's due for a medical soon. Fee of £21m. With De Bruyne leaving for 16m that's a good piece of business by Chelsea.

A decent CM available for around £20m. no Value Moyes?!!?!

It's amazing how other clubs find value, yet we are getting quoted huge prices non stop.

When did Moyes say there's no value?

He may no have said those words directly, but the usual script of "difficult in january, club's dont want to sell" etc just stinks of it really. It's just frustrating when you see decent players going for acceptable prices, why do we never seem to get any?.

Bd_Q4u_CUAEbcvQ.jpg:large

Flown in for his medical today. Deal nearly done.

I wonder if he'll play on Sunday?

BBC saying he's due for a medical soon. Fee of £21m. With De Bruyne leaving for 16m that's a good piece of business by Chelsea.

FFS :lol:

I wonder if he'll play on Sunday?

Guaranteed to score the winner I'd say.

If he's been playing regularly for Benfica then I doubt there'd be too many reasons against him being involved on Sunday - a couple of sessions on the training ground and I'd expect Roman's new toy to be ready for us.

He will be an AutoMatic starter probably if hes had a chance to get in.

Him and Ramires behind Hazard, Oscar and Willian with Torres/signing up front. Maybe him and Mikel when playing a big team away from home, and using Ramires' strong running as the game goes into the later stages.

He'll be a great signing for Chelsea, but surely their number one priority has to be a striker, not midfield?

He'll be a great signing for Chelsea, but surely their number one priority has to be a striker, not midfield?

Our defensive midfield is very limited asides from Ramires. Mikel has been stuck in his own half for about 10 years now and Lampard is miles away from what he was.

Also don't think we need a striker. We have played crap and are still near the top. I reckon Jose will last til summer and take Lukaku back or sign another top striker for less than he would this month.

Its amazing we dont want players like matic. If we are Only looking for a fabregas, this will be a long wait. Specially given how much we're willing To spend.

Our defensive midfield is very limited asides from Ramires. Mikel has been stuck in his own half for about 10 years now and Lampard is miles away from what he was.

Also don't think we need a striker. We have played crap and are still near the top. I reckon Jose will last til summer and take Lukaku back or sign another top striker for less than he would this month.

We arguably could be clear in the league had we had a better striker, it cost us in games vs Everton and Stoke at least.

Im not sure about this whole focusing on next season thing, we actually have a chance this season, and if we followed up Matic with a striker then we really do have a good shout. As it stands with the striking issue we will probably fall just short.

We arguably could be clear in the league had we had a better striker, it cost us in games vs Everton and Stoke at least.

Im not sure about this whole focusing on next season thing, we actually have a chance this season, and if we followed up Matic with a striker then we really do have a good shout. As it stands with the striking issue we will probably fall just short.

Oh we could use a striker this season however I don't think you can justify relegating Lukaku down the pecking order next season if we sign a top quality striker this month. Lukaku I feel will be good enough to be first choice at a top 4 by next season. I reckon he's a big enough talent to hold off for.

You know, maybe he, I don't know, only wanted to sign for Chelsea and no one else? Meaning it was pointless to even bid for him?

Makes United's panic purchase of Fellaini look all the more daft. Good signing for Chelsea and someone who will instantly recharge their engine room.

How many of you have actually see Matic play regularly? A very low majority I'd bet...

Makes United's panic purchase of Fellaini look all the more daft. Good signing for Chelsea and someone who will instantly recharge their engine room.

I'll wait and see what he's like first. I remember some suggestions that Javi Garcia was a viable option for us - but he looks terrible for City from what I've seen of him.

The PL is physically the toughest leage in the world in terms of intensity, if not the most skilful. Defensive minded players can look outstanding in one league, but the PL is another level up.

Interesting that at 23 they obviously didnt rate him, and have now spent big money on him to bring him back a few years later. Possibly a late developer.

He's a cut above Javi Garcia in terms of what he can do on the pitch. I don't think he will have any problems adapting to the physicality, it's the pace of the game that will perhaps catch him out at first. Jose will play him in that slightly deeper role allowing Ramires to roam and I expect we will see the best of his passing range.

I think that when he left they were well stocked in the centre. Their engine room is now in need of a refit as we speak.

I'll wait and see what he's like first. I remember some suggestions that Javi Garcia was a viable option for us - but he looks terrible for City from what I've seen of him.

The PL is physically the toughest leage in the world in terms of intensity, if not the most skilful. Defensive minded players can look outstanding in one league, but the PL is another level up.

Interesting that at 23 they obviously didnt rate him, and have now spent big money on him to bring him back a few years later. Possibly a late developer.

Very true. Garcia makes a snail look like Usain Bolt.

One thing Matic has going for him is he did play in England (albeit the reserves) before he went to Portugal and according to Ray Wilkins he was the best out of the youth players at the time. Also in the Europa League final he played very well against Chelsea and may have been the deciding factor in brining him back.

Definitely need to put him to the test in the PL though.

What it does do is turn Luiz into a near enough £50m purchase

From what I read about him from benfica fans is that he's a Yaya toure type player, but more defensive but capable of being box to box if need be. He definitely impressed every time I saw him.

I know he might've gone to Chelsea regardless, but to not even try to tempt him? A player of his quality for £21mil and we say he probably would've went there so there was no point bidding. Maybe if we actually tried it might not have been such an easy decision for him? Of course there's not going to be any available signings left if we let all the quality midfielders go every single transfer window, for years.

Very true. Garcia makes a snail look like Usain Bolt.

One thing Matic has going for him is he did play in England (albeit the reserves) before he went to Portugal and according to Ray Wilkins he was the best out of the youth players at the time. Also in the Europa League final he played very well against Chelsea and may have been the deciding factor in brining him back.

Definitely need to put him to the test in the PL though.

What is fasciniating is that he wasnt let go as a kid - they presumably looked at him at 23, after being out on loan and thought he wasnt good enough.

He may be a late bloomer I suppose - he's either improved greatly in 3 years, or has been playing in an average league making him look better than he is.

We'll see I suppose.

From what I read about him from benfica fans is that he's a Yaya toure type player, but more defensive but capable of being box to box if need be. He definitely impressed every time I saw him.

I know he might've gone to Chelsea regardless, but to not even try to tempt him? A player of his quality for £21mil and we say he probably would've went there so there was no point bidding. Maybe if we actually tried it might not have been such an easy decision for him? Of course there's not going to be any available signings left if we let all the quality midfielders go every single transfer window, for years.

Easier being "Toure-esque" in Portugal than here. I suspect he's been watched but we've obviously got other targets, or dont think he's good enough for what we want.

Easier being "Toure-esque" in Portugal than here. I suspect he's been watched but we've obviously got other targets, or dont think he's good enough for what we want.

He was voted best player of the Portuguese league in the past season. I think Moutinho is a better player (he came second) and that was a result of the generally bigger bias towards Benfica (after all they are a bigger club), but I would definitely classify him as one of the top-2 midfielders of our league.

If the very best players from smaller leagues aren't good enough for the Premiership than you might as well restrict scouting and such to the big 4 leagues.

He was voted best player of the Portuguese league in the past season. I think Moutinho is a better player (he came second) and that was a result of the generally bigger bias towards Benfica (after all they are a bigger club), but I would definitely classify him as one of the top-2 midfielders of our league.

If the very best players from smaller leagues aren't good enough for the Premiership than you might as well restrict scouting and such to the big 4 leagues.

I didn't say that.

The fact is it isnt a top league in terms of the standard, and is probably more technical than physical. As a player with a physical edge I think the PL will be a different level. He may rise to the challenge and be a very good PL player - but he's evidently a risk. I dont think that's an unfair assesment.

As far as United goes I think proven quality from the bigger leagues is required in midfield, rather than taking a punt on players from outside that. But that's just my opinion.

I think people still overstate the difference in the physical thing after all these years. Ramires here never stood out as much more than average technically but with a brutal stamina and excellent speed and these same characteristics have seemed more than enough for him to maintain his status as a first-team player for Chelsea. David Luiz also had a physical edge over here and still maintains that edge over there, in fact it's probably the only thing that saved him from being an absolute flop.

Matic has a physical edge but he has excellent technique as well (as opposed to Javi García for example). A risk certainly, but I'd give him good odds to succeed.

Matic has a physical edge but he has excellent technique as well (as opposed to Javi García for example). A risk certainly, but I'd give him good odds to succeed.

I do remember him being quite good on the ball from the little I've seen him at Chelsea.

Being that you've seen far more football from Benfica these last few years, do you think he's got quicker now? I seem to remember him lacking speed a bit.

I do remember him being quite good on the ball from the little I've seen him at Chelsea.

Being that you've seen far more football from Benfica these last few years, do you think he's got quicker now? I seem to remember him lacking speed a bit.

I don't really know to be honest. I never thought of his speed to be either a liability or a stand out characteristic. I think he can be a great pairing with Ramires, he's even left-footed to boot.

You've probably seen everything there is to see about him in youtube, but for other posters I'd say this video gives an excellent sample of his wide array of characteristics. Vision, strength, passing range... I love the way he manages to tackle in the middle of two or three opposing players and then finding a way a to get rid of the ball with either graceful or completely unorthodox passes.

Quality purchase by Chelsea. He's certainly going to take their midfield up a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.